Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Roundabouts
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

If this is the case, what happens when 2 cars go round the roundabout together in the nearside and offside lane, and both want to go straight on onto the single lane exit?

Car in the inside has to move to the outside to exit the roundabout and can only do that when that lane is clear.

Yes, that’s what I would like to think would happen. The reality seems somewhat different, the car on the inside usually tries to turn across the outside lane anyway at the last minute to take the exit, irrespective of somebody outside them, often resulting in two cars side by side in the single lane exit.

wrightyson
    Free Member

If molgrips is in the left lane then I’d definitely take the right. Any other time it’d be the one which has the least traffic in it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hehe wrighty – i expected after i read the first part for you to pull a u turn and go the other way 😉

aracer
    Free Member

If molgrips is in the left lane then I’d definitely take the right.

Queue jumper.

GrahamS

Correct approach at rush hour round here seems to be to always take the left lane regardless of your exit.
    Any other lane results in you being trapped inside the roundabout and having to force your way out, much to the annoyance of the drivers who have patiently queued in the left lane for 3/4s of the roundabout.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Is it… approach in the right lane, moving through to the left in order to point the car through the apex with a quick flick of the wheel. Strait line the roundabout moving rapidly from the left lane to the right and back again. Id probably shift from 4th to 3rd just before flicking the wheel.

On a more serious note id take either but if traffic was heavy the left lane, other wise you are going to cut some one up or do an extra lap of the roundabout.

spooky_b329

I’ve done several tests (three within the last four years, and no, not bannings!) and in all, including my car test twelve years ago, it was very clear. If your exit is 12 O Clock or before, it’s the left of two lanes. If it’s past 12 O Clock, it’s the right of the two. Unless signs/markings indicate otherwise.

Surprised so many think or were taught to use the right lane to go straight over, seeing it everyday I thought it was learnt habits/impatience!

maccruiskeen

What do the orange stars mean in trailrats pic? I’ve never seen orange stars on a roundabout

They’re power ups. You get extra lives and unlimited ammo.

If you flash your lights twice on full beam, twice on dipped beam, indicate left right left right, then brake the accelerate you unlock special features and the roundabout turns into a waltzer.

scaredypants

There’s a roundabout I use going home from work: 2 lanes going on, dual carriageway 1st exit @ 90 degrees, 2nd exit straight but never used little country lane, 3rd exit @270degrees and single lane. About half the drivers using the 3rd exit go for the left hand lane on entering the roundabout 😯 ❓

butcher

If your exit is 12 O Clock or before, it’s the left of two lanes. If it’s past 12 O Clock, it’s the right of the two. Unless signs/markings indicate otherwise.

This is exactly how I was taught.

Using the right hand lane in the example given in the original post seems a recipe for disaster to me.

Milkie
    Free Member

Left hand lane to go straight, as then you do not have to change/filter across lanes and cut up the **** in the left hand lane.

simmy
    Free Member

Left lane – simple

The picture previously posted showed 2 lanes on exit but the OP is asking about a single lane exit.

Take it a basic 4 exit roundabout with exits at 9 12 & 3 o clock, left lane for left first exit (9oclock), the road ahead second exit ( 12oclock ) and right hand lane for third exit, ( 3oclock ) and to go full circle.

cynic-al
    Free Member

IIRC TJ and aracer were adamant it should be the RH lane (I may be wrong) in every situation.

I say LH usually but not always.

kcal

I was taught LH for exits 1 & 2 (W + N) and RH lane for exit 3 (E) and indeed for heading back the way you came.

Seems to throw folk around here when you do that though, they sit in RH lane and then head straight over. There is a roundabout in town where the lane markings have changed, from none (IIRC) to LH lane for exit 1, and RH for everything else, due to LH lane being an equal mixture of exit 1 & 2 traffic (both popular).

As and aside, if you take RH lane for straight on, and sail past traffic in LH lane, there is no way of telling what proportion of that traffic is heading for your intended exit..

cubist
    Free Member

It really depends weather I am trying to drift or not…

Surely it depends on whats in the other lanes to some extent? Having hard and fast rules just leads to needless congestion and people not deploying some common sense (although this is generally in such short supply on the roads I may be expecting too much)

FeeFoo
    Free Member

In my experience when taking the right hand lane to go straight on, people treat you as a queue jumper and make every effort not to let you merge on the exit.

Although it is correct to use either lane, these days I tend to stay left just to avoid the argy-bargy and extra stress it gives the drive into work.

spooky_b329

Feefoo, its not correct. In some cases it is justified but at the end of the day you are in the incorrect lane so should be giving way to traffic leaving the roundabout on the left of you. I ocassionally use the right lane but never force my way back in.

anagallis_arvensis

For a single exit use left lane, unless its all clear and I straightline it or on my motorbike when I’ll use the right in traffic as I can merge onto the roundabout into smaller gaps. Just need to.be careful exiting.

mrmo
    Free Member

My Driving instructor told me a few years ago, I had to negotiate a roundabout on the test and didn’t get any penalties for it. Two lanes entering treat the roundabout as a clock, beyond 12 and it is right, anything less is left. And use any signposts to indicate what is what,The physical design of the road is not what matters, the ground is not right, it is the signposts that matter.

takisawa2

I was taught RH lane until you’ve passed the exit before yours, then mirror, signal manoeuvre across to the left for your exit. Basically, left is only used leading into an exit.

That was nearly 30yrs ago. Impossible these days mostly, due to traffic volume. Most folk end up subconsciously driving defensively now.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Roundabouts are terribly hardwork and confusing. How can you possibly be expected to guess the correct lane AND use your indicators. It’s a trick question.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Feefoo ive had that treatment from the lh lane….. Cars coming from right taking third exit. Me coming from straight across.

Cars on right feel im queue jumpin and will accelerate and drive perpendicular to the kerb to stop me. wont let me merge ive given up being polite. All thatll happen is their audi will get wedged under my truck.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Feefoo ive had that treatment from the lh lane….. Cars coming from right taking third exit. Me coming from straight across.

Cars on right feel im queue jumpin and will accelerate and drive perpendicular to the kerb to stop me. wont let me merge ive given up being polite. All thatll happen is their audi will get wedged under my truck.

fisha
    Free Member

My general rule of thumb:

First 2 exits or before 12 o’clock as you approach the roundabout = lane 1
    3rd exit or beyond 12 o’clock = lane 2

ask1974
    Free Member

There’s a roundabout I use going home from work: 2 lanes going on, dual carriageway 1st exit @ 90 degrees, 2nd exit straight but never used little country lane, 3rd exit @270degrees and single lane. About half the drivers using the 3rd exit go for the left hand lane on entering the roundabout

Snap… Almost identical on my route to work but 2 lanes in, four single lane exits with main road continuing via third @ 2 o’clock. I’m amazed at the amount of drivers who actually move to the left lane before entering the round about, do not indicate right then swing past both first (9 o’clock) and second (12o’clock) exits and have the f*%#ing audacity to hoot drivers in the correct lane ‘cutting them up’ as they quite rightly move from inside to outside to exit the roundabout at the third.

Ggrrrrrrr…… Sometimes I feel an immense pull to stop and have a ‘chat’ with some drivers! And breath…..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Left lane. I have passed a slowey on occasion by using the right lane. Don’t try and pass a truck this way though. And you have to be prepared to go around if goes awry by the time you reach the exit.

ask1974
    Free Member

Oh, and my take on the OPs question… You can enter the roundabout in either lane if exiting at 12 0’clock but the driver in the left lane has right of way, of course most people using the right lane are trying to ‘jump’ the queue so inevitably will push in at the exit and I think we’ve all been guilty of that from time to time.

No right or wrong just good etiquette to stay left.

MarkLG
    Free Member

I was taught the left hand lane before 12 o’clock rule mentioned above – that was over 20 years ago and I don’t think much has changed.
    I can think of one roundabout the same as the OP describes (on the A57 from M1 J31 towards sheffield). If there’s a couple of cars indicating left I’ll nip past on the right onto an empty roundabout. If it’s busy and you take the right lane then you have to hope there’s a gap so you can take the exit, or you’re going to be cutting somebody up.

samuri
    Free Member

If you’re in a motor vehicle I believe the most common approach is to take the straightest line over the roundabout. So you’d approach in the left hand lane, then touch the apex of the roundabout, then exit on the left hand side.

Obviously it’s incredibly dangerous and if you’re in the vicinity on a bike you’ll probably die but cyclists are just leaching scum anyway so who cares.

Before I moved house I cycled across a roundabout like that every morning. I could absolutely guarantee I’d nearly die every single day from someone pulling a stunt like that. About once a week I’d find myself pressed against the side of a car as they cut the lanes because for some unfathomable reason, they’d decided the rules didn’t apply to them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whichever lane has less traffic. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

IIRC TJ and aracer were adamant it should be the RH lane (I may be wrong) in every situation.

Gosh, did I? I can’t say I definitely didn’t, but I’d be surprised (I’ll check with TJ 😉 ) If anything I’d suggest the opposite that the left lane is correct most of the time, but that it depends.

The particular example I’d use which doesn’t follow most people’s rule to use the right lane for exits after 12 o’clock is here where coming from the SW (bottom left) you use the left lane for the major 2nd exit and the right lane for the 3rd. You do get some people using the right lane to go “straight on” and worse yet indicating right to do so, which is clearly incorrect

That’s based on the traffic flows where the majority of traffic takes the 2nd exit and 75%+ of the remainder takes the 3rd, with the traffic flows being illustrated quite well by the sign

aracer
    Free Member

…then at the next roundabout the road markings tell you to use the left lane approaching the roundabout to turn right. The less said about approaching that roundabout from the other direction the better!

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I was taught you can use either lane when going straight on at a roundabout.
    I understand that the left lane has priority in this situation.

If I could devise a neon sign that lit up with “I’m merging on exit, not cutting you up or pushing in and I’m happy for us all to do the same” then I would.
    I’d need a bigger rear window though.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

In an ideal world the DVLA would watch posts such as these and immediately revoke licenses of anyone who thought it was acceptable to try going straight onto a single lane carriageway from lane 2 (unless so marked).

Then they could move on to the people that reverse out of their drives.

Next those that don’t indicate.

Then those that don’t clear their windows before driving off in the mornings, ditto 2 feet of snow on the roof.

Ah, come the day comrades, come the day…

anagallis_arvensis

Great, thats sorted, shall we move on to when is it acceptable to overtake on chevrons now?

MarkLG
    Free Member

shall we move on to when is it acceptable to overtake on chevrons now?

Rule 130
    Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

If the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so.
    If the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency.
    Laws MT(E&W)R regs 5, 9, 10 & 16, MT(S)R regs 4, 8, 9 & 14, RTA sect 36 & TSRGD 10(1)

:mrgreen:

FeeFoo
    Free Member

The highway code seems a little unspecific as to which lane. It suggests to use the “appropriate” lane:

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
    select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
    you should not normally need to signal on approach
    stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Roundabouts’ is closed to new replies.