Home Forums Bike Forum Rockshox Monarch shock leaking air…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rockshox Monarch shock leaking air…
  • coconut
    Free Member

Hello – I have a 2014 Giant Anthem 29er which has a rear Rockshox Monarch R (165mm/38mm). I inflate the shock to 150psi (82kg) and over 3  days it slowly drops back to 50psi every time….so… replace with a Similar Monarch R (currently £150) or are these prone to leaking ? reading a few reviews seems to indicate this shock is prone to leaking. Can I repair myself ? Replacement budget is £150 tops.

Thanks all.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

My bike with Monarch R works fine. Close to no leakage. Never took the shock apart.

But the “leaking” reputation of this shock is not the best.

Right now, this time of the year: would avoid buying the Monarch R. In winter sale these shocks are available for little money.

Would spend 20 bucks for the service kit and try to get the unit working again.

In my opinion: £150 is too much money for this shock.

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. I was considering the service kit but would that stand any chance of really stopping a leak. Looks like the service kit is just new seals and oil really ?

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

SRAM / RockShox has very detailed pdf manuals available for the service of the shock.

Maybe have a look if this service work is something for you.

If yes: I hope that the service kit includes all seals and O rings to get the unit tight again…? (Maybe I’am wrong?)

What might leak as well: the Schrader valves…?

bigyan
    Free Member

You could try blowing it up to the max and spraying down with soapy water, see if it blows any bubbles. If you are lucky it might just be a leaky schraeder valve core or an air can o ring.

Any damage to the damper body?

coconut
    Free Member

No shock is in good condition and not really used much…. was a second hand bike from a few years back.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

What really hurts right now: the £150…!

Do you have any biking pal around who is good in rebuilding these shocks?

When looking at the SRAM pdf’s it appears like the shock is not too complex…- guess a guy who serviced the Monarch already has the Job done in half an hour…

I do the “normal” fork service by myself. But without taking the air chamber/damper apart.

But for fixing the leak with the Monarch shock you have to take the thing completely apart plus replace ALL seals I guess.

benpinnick

Air leaking is not a fault, it just needs a service most likely. The seals will degrade over time and stop holding air so well. The aircan part of a service is relatively straight forward and cheap enough parts.

First though pump it up and hold it underwater (in say the sink) for a while to see where it leaks. Around the shaft – service. From the valve – tighten core or maybe stem. From rebound adjuster – full service.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Some good advice above… check for visual leaks with water/soap, check the valve core is tight, listen for hissing (mine had a seal gone in the negative chamber, so at around 10% travel mark when the pressures equalize I could hear a faint hiss coming out). If all else fails then an air can service kit will have the parts you need.

On mine I changed the 3 or 4 thin o rings that are visible when you slide off the air can sleeve. I’d been playing with the shock a lot so probably worn/damaged them removing the sleeve too many times!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Monarch shock leaking air…’ is closed to new replies.