Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)
  • Roadies – Whats your average for 30ms?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

I could still probably average 220W for 3 hours but round here that would NOT get you a 20mph average speed.

Power to weight maybe the issue 😉

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

For the training I generally work on the assumption that if I get back and don’t feel like spewing I’ve just wasted my time, don’t really go in for the low speed, low HR stuff. Works for me but everyone is different.

I’m terrible at getting obsessed with average speed though, been trying to achieve a certain average speed on my commute for a while now and finally cracked it this morning which I was pretty chuffed with. At the end of the day if you’re training you need to set specific attainable goals and average speed is good for this.

That’s if I’m not a lying Stravaist who needs to get out and race of course.

saxabar
    Free Member

Here’s mine from my local ride today starting from Bethesda, Myndd Llandygai, Llanberis, Pen Y Pass, Capel Curig and back to Bethesda. I pushed slightly harder than usual as I’ve been out of town for the weekend eating cake and other niceties.

Distance: 31.44 mi
    Time: 1:43:37
    Avg Speed: 18.2 mph
    Elevation Gain: 2,155 ft
    Calories: 1,996 C

Time: 1:43:37
    Moving Time: 1:43:34
    Elapsed Time: 1:43:37
    Avg Speed: 18.2 mph
    Avg Moving Speed: 18.2 mph
    Max Speed: 39.3 mph

Elevation Gain: 2,155 ft
    Elevation Loss: 2,108 ft
    Min Elevation: 340 ft
    Max Elevation: 1,323 ft

Would be very interested to know best ways of getting overall average speed up although I’m way off from 20!

molgrips
    Free Member

You need both base training and speed work. How much of each depends on a number of factors. Simply flogging your guts out on every ride is not as effective as doing it properly. A constant zone 2 pace is pretty easy at first, five hours later it is pretty tough.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It’s also important to maximise available training time whilst still enjoying a bit of normal riding. Working Mon-Fri then half day every other Saturday, 3 kids and a Mrs that works a few nights a week limits the available time somewhat haha!

Like I said, works for me, def improving and feel like I’m achieving stuff when I ride. You could lend me a few hours out of your day if you wanted though 😉

saxabar
    Free Member

Ha, thanks both. I work from home a lot so do get to choose my own hours which does help with the riding. Clearly lots to learn about training rather than just riding. I guess I’m of the 2012 class as I’ve had the road bike for a year, but seem to be enjoying it more and more (without any less mtb-ing). Not sure I’m going to do 5hrs in the saddle on the roadie but will definitely work on sprints. 🙂

Vortexracing

Would be very interested to know best ways of getting overall average speed up although I’m way off from 20!

that’s because you have some bloody big hills on that route !!!!

Bez

Meeehhhh.

I’ve managed to cycle between, and play a full round with a partner at, 9 different crazy golf courses in 8 hours. (And that was on a singlespeed MTB.)

Anyone else average more than 1.1 cgc/h?

njee20
    Free Member

Power to weight maybe the issue

What do you weigh? At 70kg 220w sure as **** won’t get me a 20mph average! More like 270w+

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve managed to cycle between, and play a full round with a partner at, 9 different crazy golf courses in 8 hours. (And that was on a singlespeed MTB.)

Where in the name of all that’s holy are there 9 crazy golf courses within cycling distance of one another?

Vortexracing

muppetWrangler wins!!!!

show off 🙄

chimpchops27
    Free Member

Ive 10 miles in 22:35 on a road bike on a crappy 265w

Bez

Where in the name of all that’s holy are there 9 crazy golf courses within cycling distance of one another?

Isle of Wight. With a road bike you could get a couple more knocked off in that time, too, I think 🙂

houndlegs
    Free Member

I can barely average 15 mph on a good day 😥 someone please tell me its cos I live in the south Wales valleys,and not cos I’m a fat old knacker

TiRed

Aside from my individual stats, racing tends to be as follows. Duration is normally an hour.

Cat 4 : 24-25 mph
    Masters E1234 26.8 mph (not yet broken the 27, but creeping up).

I finish in the top third in both, but can’t do much work on the front in the Masters races. Come down to Hillingdon if you fancy a go. And Cat 4 in London is very competitive. I’ll be there forever, I think!

Ride London, my average of 21.5mph and my only TT time for a 25mi was pretyy much identical. I ride our medium/fast club run, and can just about hold on with the fast group for a 24mph average, then I get dropped at about 15 miles.

Traffic conditions probably determine whether an average will be over or under 20 where I live.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would love some road racing, I think it’s all too far away for me to get to though.

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

here is my ride from sunday just gone. 20mph although technically its lower as I needed to stop for a pee.

http://www.strava.com/activities/75592611

Not particularly hilly but even so ook just how fast I had to go on the flat sections to maintain a decent av.

will
    Free Member

Well that’s pretty quick Matt!

oldgit
    Free Member

I don’t know why folk are hung up so much about averages, it’s so random it’s meaningless.
    For instance I was talking after my race with an old boy, when he is in florida training his averages are over 20 mph. Yet in a race like last nights he’ll get dropped quick sticks.
    Another fella I knew rode with Competative-cyclist proteam, won the opening stage of The Rutas De Americas yet only averages about 20mph on hard rides.

saxabar
    Free Member

It matters when you’ve just got home having done 19.9 and you took it easy at the start! 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

After all our discussion the other day I got curious!
    I was seriously tempted the other night to attend Reading Cylcing Club’s Buckkebury TT to see what I’ve got so to speak but couldn’t bring myself to go on my Mtb (all ive got) as I thought they might not appreciate it!
    Still intrigued though, I had a stab at it tonight. It’s a 15.6 mile course and the best time Tuesday night was 38minutes 11 seconds which comes out roughly as 24.5mph!
    The slowest time was 50minutes 12 seconds which comes out at about 18.5mph.
    So what could I do with my full suspension Scott running Rocket Rons?

Well, I couldn’t trouble the roadies, but was well chuffed with a 52minute 32 second effort which is 17.8 mph 🙂

It’s HCC201b on Strava if you want a look

will
    Free Member

I’d say that’s quite good on a full sus with mtb tyres. 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

I know those roads well, quite surprised the best time wasn’t a bit quicker really but it is a bit lumpy for a TT. Top effort on a FS with knobblies though!

crosshair
    Free Member

I tried to ride it for the whole distance and didn’t get any pb’s so there’s more in reserve, I just need to improve my stamina. Had the HR alarm set for 170 and it was going off constantly up every hill 😀
    Even without a guy in front and one behind, it was strangely addictive chasing the clock! Watching your average creep up to 18.8 18.9 19.1 then come crashing down on the hills 😀

Dark side is definitely calling 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

TT’s are very addictive. If you ever fancy trying a TT bike… 😉

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Crit race at Preston last night, 22.5 miles in 50-ish mins, my average speed was 27mph.

It hurt. Average heart rate was 179bpm and I hit my 195 redline in the final sprint. Came 8th, so well chuffed in such a fast race and such a big field.

I think I’m ready to start winding down a bit for winter!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Crosshair, thought I’d incorporate HCC201b into a lunchtime loop for a mtb/road bike comparison (though admittedly not a brilliant one given different riders.) Quite a sporting course that one! Took it easy on the flats, pushed a bit on the uphills, but didn’t have a huge amount in my legs after a nasty 3×15 on the turbo last night. Anyway, excuses out the way, on the fancy plastic road bike I went round in 44.29 (avg of 20.9 mph). Ride overall was 23 miles at 21 mph. Also quite a weird easterly wind today, I reckon that course is quicker with a westerly.

So I think the only conclusion that can be reliably drawn from this is that you need to buy a road bike 😉

the_lecht_rocks

Distance 71.08 mi
    Duration 4h:45m:15s
    Avg. Speed 15.0 mph
    Max. Speed 31.3 mph
    Calories 3892 kcal
    Hydration 2.80L
    Min. Altitude 388 ft
    Max. Altitude 1233 ft
    Total Ascent 2540 ft
    Total Descent 2629 ft
    Weather Partly sunny

mrblobby
    Free Member

the_lecht_rocks, I hope you stopped for cake!

the_lecht_rocks

yes – at Ballater, bacon roll, coffee and bakewell 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Good skills Mrblobby!

They did have near perfect still conditions on Tuesday night.

My least favourite bit was the hill up to the Bladebone- that was a killer (given the 4 miles of fast flats leading up to it 😉 )

I’m desperate to get a go on one before I spend any money but I think I’d get the use out of it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Crosshair, that is quite a ramp there, though the easterly had already taken some of the pace from the run from Hermitage to Buckleberry.

If you are around 6ft you are welcome to come take one of mine for a spin. Alternatively, Banjo’s in Newbury are usually good about letting you have a test ride on some bikes… as are most good shops for that matter.

Oh and mmmmm bakewell tart 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Yep, 6′ spot on. That’d be great thanks! I’m available pretty much any when from early afternoons onwards with a bit of notice. We could meet somewhere a couple of miles from yours if you want to check me out first, otherwise m18wilts@yahoo.co.uk
    I’ve got some spare Mtb pedals I can bring, save putting my stinky feet in your shoes 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

Well Mrblobby, I ended up buying a Triban 5. Bit disappointed though as I’m no faster on it. Had a go at the TT and knocked just 11seconds off! Need more practice and a good thorough bike fit I reckon.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Strava and sportives are racing without the emotional investment, racing for people who don’t want to put their ego on the line, racing in private so you can take your ball home when you lose.

That may be partially true but I think in the main they are racing for people who aren’t very good at racing. Which is fair enough – there’s no point in playing way outside your league. There is no point whatsoever in me doing a proper cycle race as I’d get completely massacred, but like many people I like to push myself so I’ll do a sportive or a timed lap at CyB and feel good because of the people I overtake and less happy about all the people who burn me off.

I think it’s about comparing yourself to your peers. And my peers are other unfit 40something IT middle managers with 2 kids, a working wife and a mortgage. No point in comparing myself with people who get out training more than once a month.

Viewing 35 posts - 161 through 195 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – Whats your average for 30ms?’ is closed to new replies.