Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)
  • Roadies – Whats your average for 30ms?
  • Rosss
    Free Member

Just got back from my first 30 miler, well 32 to be precise. I averaged just over 15 mph in quite windy conditions but nothing too bad. How far off the pace am I?

jam-bo

Hilly?

Solo?

Too many variables.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I live in the Peak District and my rides usually average 1000ft of climbing for every 10 miles. On a windy day I’d be very pleased to average 15mph on a solo ride

That said, I am one of the slowest climbers in our cycling club 🙂

Rosss
    Free Member

Sorry, 1100ft over 30miles. Solo ride, and im no climber

swavis

About 18-20 mph seems to be my average if I’m doing 20 miles or 60 miles. Don’t ride with anybody else normally and can’t be bothered to go out with the local club but I know I’m putting in a decent effort so am happy with that.

IanW
    Free Member

You will need to speak in KPH overwise the Roadies wont know what your on about.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not a lot of climbing there but its not bad. Probably about 3mph off the pace.

But depends how windy ‘quite windy’ is, did you have a headwind all the way or 50:50. If headwind all the way then 15mph is alright.

oldnpastit

30ms == 30/1000 of a second.

wwaswas

Strava can help.

You’ll find there’s a few obvious ‘local loops’ that multiple people ride fairly regularly – just pick one of those and ride it and see how you compare.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

How far off the pace am I?

What is this pace that you speak of?

I’m normally the first one to jump on these threads only to get demoralised by talk of average speeds, since I’m usually well below them. As long as you’re enjoying it and feel like you’re getting something out of the effort you’re putting in, keep going at it.

will
    Free Member

Sooooo many variables: Traffic, urban, road condition, wind, hills etc…

I’d be inclined to agree Swavis. 18-20mph

Rosss
    Free Member

I did enjoy it today which is progress for me as i’m MTB through and through but I’d rather enjoy it whilst being shattered knowing i’m at a competitive pace and i’ll be faster on the MTB

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I aim for “evens” (20mph ave/speed) on anything under 40 miles, and that would generally include 500-1000m of climbing.

I have a couple of 20 mile fast loops that I ride as over/under (threshold) efforts, and I’d be disappointed if they took longer than an hour – similar profile to what you rode but a few traffic lights etc.

Were you riding at threshold (blowing out of yer arse but able to sustain for an hour or so) or was it a pootle?

On a less windy day, ride the first 5 miles steady, high cadence but low effort, and then try and do a flying 20 at 18-20mph.

ononeorange

My fastest is 14.0 mph on a 14.1 mile loop offroad, I think that was just under 1000 feet.

Nothing like as quick then as the roadie boys and I was buggered for a few days afterwards.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We don’t really have proper big hills round here so a good average is somewhere around 19mph. If I get lucky with traffic and weather and rest and all the other little things that contribute towards setting a good time I can occasionally get a fraction over 20 but those days are rare. I am certainly no roadie though. I’m sure the quick fellas can do that all day long and barely break a sweat. Certainly I see a lot out that are faster than I am.

HTTP404
    Free Member

You should be asking average wattages per kg for 1/2 hour.
    🙂

Toasty

My average for the month is just shy of 17mph according to endomondo. Mix of 18-20mph speedy solo rides, relaxed low heart rate 16mph rides and chain gangs somewhere in between the two.

Normally do over 30, 40 miles on Mon + Wed + Friday, longer on Sat is my norm.

Doesn’t sound too bad, wind makes a massive difference!

mrblobby
    Free Member

As has been said, too many variables. If I’m doing a loop I’ve not done before and just riding it at a fun pace on my own (not taking it deliberately easy or hard) then I’d assume 20mph average. Some people I know would be faster, others slower. There isn’t really “a pace” to be on unless your racing I guess.

pegglet
    Free Member

mike hutchinson did 30mile time trial in 55.39. work out that average!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

glad i don’t bother with any gadgetry , since i do not race anymore….

wors

I once went out on a 40 miler out and back ride. The first 20 miles i did in 35 minutes, i was absolutely flying. the next 20 was just over an hour and a half, bloody wind! 😈

According to endomondo my best 50 km 😉 is 17.5 average, and it’s lumpy here too.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I did the 100 mile Ride London at 22mph. Just sub threshold pace with over-threshold efforts on the climbs. With fuel and a flattish course, I could probably have done another 50 at the same pace…
    I’m Cat3 peleton fodder that does a reasonable time-trial, climbs as well as can be expected for a 6’1″ 12.5stoner and descends like I’ve no dependents.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I did the 100 mile Ride London at 22mph

Bloody hell – that’s pretty good going and you’re only a third cat?

It’s tough out there on the road.

+1 for the 18-20mph quotes on a 30 miler. I can do that for up to about 45 miles but I don’t get the opportunity to do longer rides so not sure how much I could keep it up for.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Bloody hell – that’s pretty good going and you’re only a third cat?

Big plodding engines like mine are great if you’re a domestique in a stage racing outfit, but nigh on useless if you race 1hr circuit crits!

Gary_M
    Free Member

If I’m doing a loop I’ve not done before and just riding it at a fun pace on my own (not taking it deliberately easy or hard) then I’d assume 20mph average

The first 20 miles i did in 35 minutes

It took longer than expected to start but it was pretty good when it did.

20mph – fun pace?

wwaswas

wrong thread.

crosshair
    Free Member

Aged 30, just back into cycling for 1year. 5’11 and 14stone.
    This weekend- headwinds and 1600ft of climbing, 40 miles, 16.7 average.
    My 20mile TT that I use for checking progress- 20 miles, 18.0 average.

Both of these are on a f/s mountain bike running Rocket Rons though.

When I make the switch to the dark side next Spring, I’ll be disappointed not to be averaging 20mph on anything sub 50 miles.

Ed2001
    Free Member

If I’m doing a loop I’ve not done before and just riding it at a fun pace on my own (not taking it deliberately easy or hard) then I’d assume 20mph average

The first 20 miles i did in 35 minutes

It took longer than expected to start but it was pretty good when it did.

20mph – fun pace?
    😆 these threads are grrrreat

Sandwich

Monthly average to date on Endomondo is about 25kph, this includes stops along the way on the longer rides out. Commuting efforts seem to be an hour-ish for 27.3km, I’m 50 and a bit of a plodder for context.

Haze

Some of you guys should come down to our club 10 and show them how it’s done…

brakes
    Free Member

I did the Ride London 100 at 23.1 centigrade. What do I win?

RoterStern
    Free Member

Did a 100km ride yesterday with an average of 32kmh but it is fairly flat round these parts.

Tom-B
    Free Member

So 20 miles in 35 mins is what 34+ mph average? 😆 Even with the tail wind, that sort of pace would see you figure quite well in a world tour TT!

cookeaa

Don’t let your ego ruin road riding, quoted Avg speed is pretty meaningless IMO other than a way to try and make others feel a bit inferior…

I’m not a Roadie, just an MTBer who owns a Road bike (and seems to be riding it more and more), I’d say I average anything form 16 – 18 Mph on a 20 – 30 mile ride.

Having been out solo a lot latetely and on local 20 – 30 mile loops with some more layed back roadie mates, they don’t seem to be cranking out a blisteringly high pace, maybe they’re just being gentle…
    I just don’t think all raodies are the same TBH…

I did 33 miles last night, outbound leg into a headwind, bit of a tail wind and slightly heavy legs on the way back, threw in some extra climbs (as climbing is a definate weakness I need to work on) and averaged 16.6Mph, Which I was pretty happy with for the loop…

Strava can help.

I’d take that with a pinch of salt, it’s a guide, I’d say I’m in the top 30-40% on most of my popular local segments, and seem to score a new PR every time I go out.

But don’t go expecting to crack a KOM every ride, you can sort of gauge your general speed against others in your area, But I reckon most people in say the top 20 on a segment with 100+ riders are actually bloody quick.

Set incremental achievable goals, if you ride a ~2 mile segment of mixed flat / climbing in ~5:30 and the top fellas are doing it in 4:00 dead, give yourself a couple of weeks to work up to cracking that 5:00 minutes mark, don’t gun straight for a top 10 place.

I have set myself just such a goal at present and took 20 seconds out of my PR with 30 miles in my legs last night, still not quick enough it seems, but I’m happy with the fact that I’ve gotten faster and I know I can get faster still.

nacho
    Free Member

oo er, I’ll stick to my MTB I think! I am slow, did 20 miles on my road bike yesterday, 15.5Mph average and I couldn’t have gone much faster. Did have some headwinds but I guess there must have ebeen tailwinds as well. Although it is very hilly down here I chose a fairly flat route. My last couple of rides were just under 15Mph so yesterday was quite fast 🙁 But I love riding my bikes (even the road one on occassion but MTB 90%+ of the time)

bellefied
    Free Member

me mate did a 30 odd miler this morning, he’s an enthusiastic amateur fairly new to the road and not the fittest and his stats were;

miles

hours
    2:11:44

mi/hr

Elevation gain (ft)

So not bad… thought he might be you for a minute but his name isn’t Rosssssssssss 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I can’t average 20mph unless it’s quite flat, which it never is where I live. I used to do an 18 mile route to work which was dead flat apart from one not-steep climb and some traffic lights at the start, and despite maintaining almost 24kph on the flat I still could only average 21 for the whole trip and I only did that once. It was usually just under 20.

Certainly I see a lot out that are faster than I am.

Funnily enough, even admitting to struggling to beat 20mph, I am never passed and I never see anyone quicker than me.

Toasty

I once went out on a 40 miler out and back ride. The first 20 miles i did in 35 minutes, i was absolutely flying. the next 20 was just over an hour and a half, bloody wind!

Just shy over 20mph over 40 miles then, good work!

According to endomondo my best 50 km is 17.5 average, and it’s lumpy here too.

Yet your fastest 31 miles is 17.5mph? 😉

taxi25
    Free Member

To average over 20mph on an even slightly hilly 30 miler is pretty good going. Probaly well into the top 20% of riders out there ( not regular racers ) maybe better than that. 16-18mph is far more usual.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I can’t find any 30 mile rides on my Garmin, but I did 26.9 miles, 1755 ft climbing in 1 hour 29 mins last week. Certainly there will be loads of people claiming to be faster but how many of them are 56 and were having radiotherapy for cancer in April.
    I’m happy to be riding the bike at all. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘Roadies – Whats your average for 30ms?’ is closed to new replies.