Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 443 total)
  • Road rage assault on cyclist – victim sought
  • richmtb

Cyclist is a bit of a dick, but as far as I am aware there is no law against this.

However, there are laws against driving into ASL’s and assaulting people. Taking a swing at someone when they are straddling a bike is also the mark of a coward.

Carry on as you were

franksinatra

Can we agree that by intending to pull away alongside the cyclist he was affecting the safety of the cyclist?

No. I don’t agree with that at all.

I must be watching the wrong video though as I still cannot see the bit when he nearly ran over the cyclist.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I must be watching the wrong video though as I still cannot see the bit when he nearly ran over the cyclist.

I think it’s down to his foot now.

Mind you, if I’ve remonstrated with a car-driver in the past (and I have), I tend not to put my foot under the rear wheel when I’ve done it.

theocb
    Free Member

Do you think it is unsafe overtaking of a cyclist? Did the driver do anything wrong at all???????

scotroutes

No. I don’t agree with that at all.[/quote]What do you think the ASL is for then? Do you want to have a go at re-writing TFL’s definition?

aracer
    Free Member

The police appear to think so.

I think some of the nonchalance to the driving is that such dangerous stuff is so commonplace.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’ll ask it again;

What was the point of chasing the driver down like that? What did he hope to achieve? Why could he not have simply shrugged his shoulders and let him carry on driving like a fin de cloche on someone else’s stretch of road?

The driver was in the wrong, that we can all agree. The cyclist was, to my mind, an ever bigger idiot for chasing him down. Utterly pointless, needlessly angry.

chip
    Free Member

Aracer I agree with law, not every law , and if I chose to break it I would accept what was coming to me knowing I did what I thought was right.

I would apologise for my initial infringement in hope it would diffuse the situation, as I get no joy out of thumping people, but I would if I had to.

franksinatra

I know what the ASL is for and I know that the driver should not have been there. I do not agree though that that piece of poor driving was placing the cyclists in any particular danger

What time in the video is the foot/nearly run over/nearly dead bit (mins and secs) just so I can see it?

aracer
    Free Member

Worse than the chap who punched him?

aracer
    Free Member

Is it just me then who thinks the law has it right to treat punching somebody as more serious than shouting, and not a proportionate response?

I get no joy out of thumping people, but I would if I had to.

In what situations do you “have to”?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Worse than the chap who punched him?

The law says no. I think that’s how we’re judging EVERYTHING from NOW ON.

aracer
    Free Member

Well it seems a reasonable law to me, but clearly I’m in a minority amongst the bruisers on here.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What time in the video is the foot/nearly run over/nearly dead bit (mins and secs) just so I can see it?

Around 0.30 (though it helps to watch the preceding 30 seconds for context).

franksinatra

life is too short to get that wound up about things. In the cyclists case, life will be very short indeed if that is how stressed he gets over something that, I assume, he is likely to experience on every commute (ASL infringement, not being punched)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can’t believe (1) this thread is still going and (2) aracer is still going on it.

franksinatra

Thanks

I’ve seem the whole thing a few times, this means I can look out for the near death bit that I have missed before.

aracer
    Free Member

<waves at al>

I do have better things to do than argue with brawlers…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

franksinatra – Member
    life is too short to get that wound up about things. In the cyclists case, life will be very short indeed if that is how stressed he gets over something that, I assume, he is likely to experience on every commute (ASL infringement, not being punched)

Hear, hear!

I see so many just like him on my commute, angry, stressy shouty people, almost looking for something to be annoyed at. Sad, really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I may have to nominate you for an award at the annual Big Hitter dinner.

franksinatra

Nope still don’t see it. All I see is Mr Angry moving back to position his feet between the car wheels, followed by the car driving off when the lights change.

cynic-al
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I see so many just like him on my commute, angry, stressy shouty people, almost looking for something to be annoyed at. Sad, really.

I think the occasions on which you have a chance of persuading a driver their driving needs reassessed are rare, and if you have one, the above approach is just about the worst.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think the occasions on which you have a chance of persuading a driver their driving needs reassessed are rare, and if you have one, the above approach is just about the worst.

Spot on.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But you’re not breaking any LAW. So who cares what’s reasonable behaviour. Just do wtf you want as long as you don’t break the LAW.

Scapegoat

The point we’re all missing is that the cyclist uses “you nearly ran over my foot” as an reason/excuse for his ranty behaviour. (in my opinion)

The driver was a naughty man for entering the ASL.

The cyclist was affronted that the driver apparently ignored his attempts to correct his driving behaviour/offending against the Road Traffic Act.

The cyclist showed a great turn of speed in chasing down the car.

The cyclist looked and sounded really, really angry when he shouted his rude words at the car/driver. From some interpretations this could be an offence against the public order act and or common law breach of the peace.

The passenger was a naughty man when he got out and punched the cyclist.

The cyclist turned and rode back the way he came. Now, from my observations this was either to go back the way he originally intended to go, or to simply escape the nasty people in the Audi, or, a third, more personal theory, judging by the look on his face as he turns, to nip home for a clean pair of boxers.

Now, real world dwellers have mistakenly used words like “had it coming” “deserved a slap” which has irritated the ideal world dwellers. He did not deserve a slap, and the punching thing was very wrong. The passenger may offer mitigation, but a defence will be weak. So the law says he did not deserve a slap.

However, there are very few who inhabit the real world that can be at all surprised that he got punched. My personal observation is that he took it upon himself to educate the driver, got affronted, acted all hard and met someone who thought he needed putting in his place.

Based on this and many other similar shouty sweary commuter videos, I have made a personal decision not to shout or make rude gestures at car drivers.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I only make rude gestures when I know I have an escape route. And I behave within the LAW at all times.

Northwind

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I see so many just like him on my commute, angry, stressy shouty people, almost looking for something to be annoyed at.

I don’t see any. Have you considered that there may be a reason you are surrounded by angry, stressy shouty people? 😉

Scapegoat – Member

The point we’re all missing is that the cyclist uses “you nearly ran over my foot” as an reason/excuse for his ranty behaviour

I don’t think we’re missing that it’s the reason for his behaviour tbh. I mean, it is what he rants about.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Just for reference, the car doesn’t drive off when the lights change. It jumps the red light.
    But still, its all the cyclists fault isn’t it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

But still, its all the cyclists fault isn’t it.

Not according to the law.

scotroutes

Not on the copy of the video linked to in this thread- unless you are counting the moment when he infringes the ASL (i.e. breaks the LAW!!!!))

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Perhaps just dropping one of these infront of a ASL abuser would work?

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t have anything to add, but for those who haven’t read the whole thread where I’ve previously agreed with similar sentiments I totally agree with that.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Perhaps just dropping one of these infront of a ASL abuser would work?

Might cause him to fall off his bicycle and get in the way of the cars even more?

EDIT: i’m joking by the way, just surprised at how many people thought the cyclist was the “abuser” for simply not staying as left as possible in the ASL

imnotverygood

uselesshippy » Just for reference, the car doesn’t drive off when the lights change. It jumps the red light.
    Not on the copy of the video linked to in this thread- unless you are counting the moment when he infringes the ASL (i.e. breaks the LAW!!!!))

Since we are getting all legal about it. Going into the ASL is exactly the same law as ‘jumping a red light’ :it is failing to stop at a solid white line when the light is red. How far you go past the line is immaterial in law.

asterix
    Free Member

morning all:-)

hey, anyone round here ever ride a mountain bike?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

hey, anyone round here ever ride a mountain bike?

A what?

scotroutes

Yep. They just discuss it on threads about mountain biking. Were you disappointed to open this thread and find it to be about something else?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Does anyone around here ride any type of bike? 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

*dunks hobnob in tea*

theocb
    Free Member

Scapegoat. This real world education you are talking about has been created by punchy thugs who can’t accept they did something wrong.

Maybe the real world needs to learn that if you drive like a muppet with no regard for how safe others feel while breaking basic traffic safety rules then you are likely to get called names and get sworn at a bit.

The response is to apologise for your bad driving even in the real world 😀 Education is the key.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 443 total)

The topic ‘Road rage assault on cyclist – victim sought’ is closed to new replies.