• This topic has 123 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Road bike. Ultimate build thread ?
  • Sam

You mean just one? I like the Swedish Chef’s the most so far. If I had to pick one I’d probably get some nice custom Ti or stainless.

jameso

^ Ditto. Hampsten make lovely bikes. A steel one with 32Cs would be on my shortlist for sure.

rumple
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I like my bikes light and stiff and fast and reliable

Well yeah 🙄

Maybe other people prefer heavy, flexy, slow and unreliable 😐

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe other people prefer heavy, flexy, slow and unreliable

l’Eroica riders 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Colnago C60 Classic with Di2. Wheels would be some nice handbuilts for daily riding, then some pimpier ones probably from Mavic for race day.

Shred
    Free Member

I built mine up recently, a Volagi Lisio.

njee20
    Free Member

Again… No room for Ultegra in this thread!

mrblobby
    Free Member

That Volagi…

Again… No room for Ultegra in this thread!

Again… no room for saddlebags in this thread!!!

bikebouy
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB – Member

I like my bikes light and stiff and fast and reliable

Well yeah

Maybe other people prefer heavy, flexy, slow and unreliable

Some like all day cruisers, some like shopping bikes, some like endurance bikes, some like road bikes with discs on, some guys pootle, some guys rattle, some guys are so into thier bikes that they forget to ride them, some guys just talk the talk and forget that bikes are for riding, some guys like pig iron, some guys like alu, some guys like drinking tea and eating cake on rides, some guys like haribo, some guys like alu wheels, some guys like retro, some guys have a lot to say.

I don’t do any of that.

mogrim

Again… no room for saddlebags in this thread!!!

Rubbish.

My dream build hasn’t come out yet, I want DI2 and discs but I need to wait a couple years until the designers have got all the quirks sorted. ‘Til then, something like this would do:

MrSmith
    Free Member

My pegoretti when i finally get round to putting record (non electronic on it) instead of the DA that’s on it now.

IanW
    Free Member

That Volagi…

and the Trek on the previous page, fugly barely covers it.

theteaboy
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

The second one? Looks to have a bloody long head tube certainly. And the Volagis are gopping, saddle bag or not!

mrblobby
    Free Member

The second one?

Neither of the Treks are good looking bikes.

c_klein87

Any Firefly is what i’d go for, from the ashes of Indy Fab, they do some amazing anodised ti finishes, and great touches make them class, no idea of prices

grahamg
    Free Member

I think I pretty much have mine, I can’t think of any justifiable upgrades to it for it’s intended use beyond sheer vanity – Cervelo R3 dark (a 2013 R5 with a different paint job), Campag Chorus 11 (but with Rotor 3DF crankset), and Velocity A23’s on Hope hubs. <£3k and just love the ride, also thanks to their tall head tubes it actually fits me which is an issue that rules out probably 90-95% of high end road bieks on the market.

*Edit, I could bling up the wheels and stem/seatpost, but for very little practical gain.

tomhoward

Re the headtube, while I’m not old enough to be a MAMIL, I am flexible enough, so it serves a purpose 🙂

To steal a classic Motorsport quote, ‘it doesn’t matter what it looks like. if it’s fast, it’s beautiful…’

It’s really fast.

Clover

Didn’t know it was possible to love a road bike until I got my BMC Granfondo. Now a starry eyed convert to comfortable carbon and Di2. Perfect for riding the rough with the smooth…

I do keep wondering about the wheels though. Could be lighter… but then will it be as fantastic a companion on long days with skinnier, lighter ones?

[/url]BMC_GF01_one by BeateKubitz, on Flickr[/img]

nosaintangel
    Free Member

[IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk113/alysphoto2/mycanyon001_zps18f9c3c3.jpg[/IMG][/UR

iv’e
    had lots of ultimate builds
    this one beats them all.

crazy-legs

English frame, custom built.
    Di2/hydraulic discs
    Full internal routing – the only visible bits of hose or wire would be right by the caliper or the mechs.
    Wheels – something classy and understated, 50mm deep at most.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I love mine, Cav Venge, DA9070, 404’s on Chris kings etc.

And if I don’t like that I use my s-works sl4 with DA9000.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

See lots of those around here..

howarthp

After a few teething problems my dream bike is finally just that and is working beautifully

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fe9bXP]image[/url] by HowarthPWL, on Flickr

MrSmith
    Free Member

Surprised that the Far East frames popped out of moulds in their thousands are considered ‘the ultimate”. 😯
    But then people buy overpriced German midrange hatchbacks and convince themselves it’s their ‘dream car’.

Shred
    Free Member

Shocking news, people have different opinions and taste. Imagine that.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Didn’t take long for this to turn into a “this is my bike, it must be the best” kinda thing.

If it doesn’t have DA, Super Record or Red then it isn’t ultimate.

bikebouy
    Free Member

howarthp – Member
    After a few teething problems my dream bike is finally just that and is working beautifully

@howarthp.. I love the Look695, I pondered long and hard whether to buy one.
    Whats it like??

howarthp

Bikebouy – the Look is a wonderful bike. I have an 11 year old Seven Axiom SL and I am surprised that the ride characteristics are similar. This is probably indicative of the Seven’s workmanship but also that the Look is comfortable even though I bought the super rigid version. The most noticeable difference for me is in seated climbing – I’m not a climber but I’m much quicker on the Look which is probably a combination of the lightness and the wheels.

The teething problems were down to the proprietary BB which needed sending back to Look to get the bearings changed and a bent derailleur hanger. Now both fixed. The proprietary bits (BB/crankset, stem and seatpost) are both great but also can cause issues.

The latest version of the 695, the Aerolight, has integrated brakes (looks great). None of the pro teams seem to be riding it as they’re a pain to set up. I see that Trek has gone back to a traditional rear brake on its latest bike too

njee20
    Free Member

Surprised that the Far East frames popped out of moulds in their thousands are considered ‘the ultimate”.

You mean those frames that are generally the lightest and most aero, with the most R&D behind them? You’re right, shit, the lot of them.

That Look is great, not keen on the ‘Tron-esque’ decals though!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ultimate road bike, it’s probably something like this…

(Pinched from another thread but probably faster than anything else posted so far.)

Edit… that Look is lovely.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

God’s teeth, there’s some gopping shite up there and no mistake…some of you don’t deserve an ultimate bike!

schmiken – Member
    Custom Baum

This

MrSmith
    Free Member

You’re right, shit, the lot of them

who said they are shit? 😕

at least somebody elevated the desirability factor with the Baum above, to break up the plethora of cube/felt/cervelo/giant/planet-x/ribble.

that Look is lovely

njee20
    Free Member

at least somebody elevated the desirability factor with the Baum above, to break up the plethora of cube/felt/cervelo/giant/planet-x/ribble.

It’s “ultimate”, not most desirable, some would argue that performance = ultimate. Whilst I do absolutely love Baums, I’d be surprised if I wasn’t faster on a Madone, which after all is a chunk lighter, stiffer and more aero.

A Baum is also a lot cheaper than a Cervelo RCA, and made in bigger numbers, are they common?

TiRed

“You mean those frames that are generally the lightest and most aero, with the most R&D behind them”

This. Giant made sixty frames during their design of the Propel. That’s not including all the CFD to optimize design, wind tunnel testing, rider testing…

R&D trumps a nice paint job. For steel, “ultimate” has other connotations for me. English, Cyfac, Pegoretti. None of these will have the performance of the best carbon, but they have other “ultimate” qualities such as elegance, pride of ownership, artisan craft.

So for me, a Giant Defy Advanced SL is my ultimate carbon bike. Not the prettiest bike, but one of the lightest, stiffest and most comfortable. I’ve raced it, sportived on it, ridden club rides, and got off after a 100 miles thinking I could do 100 more. And it hangs in the garage calling out “Ride me!” 😉

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

It’s “ultimate”, not most desirable, some would argue that performance = ultimate.

For those of you racing, I guess…for the rest of us, surely ‘ultimate’ encompasses all facets of the build, especially desirability / lust factor.

njee20
    Free Member

Perhaps, but for me I lust after performance, whether racing or not, and the reality is that if I had a Baum I’d not be taking it to the crit circuit! Riding a road bike is about performance innit, I’d always feel slightly aggrieved to think I could have had something ‘better’ I think.

Incidentally does anyone know what a Baum Coretto (or any other) costs? I’ve looked at the website numerous times, but it’s all a bit “it’ll cost what it costs, we don’t need you as much as you need us, we’re awesome, so y’know, whatever”, intrigued to know quite how daft they are!

everyone
    Free Member

If you have to ask, you can’t afford it!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Are you going to win? If not, loose with style!

I seem to recall seeing £9-10k mentioned, so waaay out of my pocket.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Road bike. Ultimate build thread ?’ is closed to new replies.