• This topic has 123 replies, 65 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Road bike. Ultimate build thread ?
  • the_lecht_rocks

What frame, what componentry….

Let’s indulge ourselves 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

Had a nice ride on a Lightweight Urgestalt with Enve 3.4’s on king R45’s and a Parlee Z0 with Lightweight Meilensteins today.There’s a Parlee esx in the back to play with too.And a Colnago C60 with super record and Mavic Cosmic Ultimates to build.
    I’m a bit blasé about posh road bikes these days…… 8)

cloudnine
    Free Member

You forgot Disc brakes

jet26
    Free Member

Rorschach where the bloody hell do you work?!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Expensive stuff.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wheel size?

jameso

Got to decide on the frame builder first )

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

C60 stripped and custom painted with Campag super record hanging off it and Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40 Clinchers holding it up.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Salsa Colossal TI

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d be happy with a new TCR (or maybe a Propel) with DA Di2 and maybe those new Zipp Firestrikes. I’ve not really got the hang of this have I? 😳

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Go on then…

English Cycles Superlight V3, carbon ISP & headtube.

Di2/Hydro discs (R785), all internally routed. Cannondale SIS-SL cranks & spider rings

King R45 disc/Enve/CX Ray wheels

Enve fork & finishing kit (English stem though with built in Di2 control box).

Custom carbon guards, so that it was fully weather proof in the winter, but easily removable in the summer, and without obvious eyelets once removed.

Hopefully below the UCI weight limit (no reason for it, but it’s a nice target to aim at!)

That’s the dream anyway…

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d like shimano hydraulic brakes with mechanical shifters as well as tubeless tyres.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Vanilla cycles do the Speedvagen, I could be so tempted

Kuco

One of these Enigma Excel’s will do me but with Shimano dura Ace.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Lots of ax-lightness bits.

neilforrow

Mate just picked up this:

it is soooo nice. Couldn’t get a more ‘of the moment’ bike if you tried, unless you want disks…(little more to hang of it yet tho).

TiRed

Cyfac XCR#
    Dura Ace Di2
    Enve or Zipp finishing kit
    Wheels to match above

In all honesty, I doubt it would be as nice a ride as my Defy Advanced SL, and I would definitely not want to throw it around in a race like my Propel. But it might fill the hole left when my engraved Merlin Cyrene was stolen. Giant cured me of nice bike necessity. All bikes are good; Love what you ride, ride what you like.

#Could be persuaded to take a Pegoretti Responsorium instead.

fasthaggis

But it might fill the hole left when my engraved Merlin Cyrene was stolen

TiRed

That’s harsh 🙁

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Hmm something like a Parlee or Moots Ti, with full Super Record, Enve Wheels, Ciamillo brakes, Ritchey Super logic parts.

But then I already have a full custom Waterford with all that bar the Enve Wheels.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

solarider to the forum please, solarider

stevious

I’m with TiRed on this one. They’re weapons, not souvenirs.

TiRed

From this:

To this:

Giant is lighter, faster, smoother riding. Merlin was a piece of its time and I don’t really miss its ride, just the look and workmanship.

everyone
    Free Member

For me it would be this frame:

With as many tasty Italian things I can possibly hang off it.

It would probably end up looking like this:

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Tired, I’ve seen what you are talking about minus this Dura Ace.

Not sure how to actually post the picture up so a link will have to suffice!

Posted by LifecycleUK on Tuesday, July 9, 2013

finbar
    Free Member

Mine would involve one of these.

Actually, scratch that, one of these. And my girlfriend knows the buidler’s wife so it’d be nice to keep it local.

njee20
    Free Member

it is soooo nice. Couldn’t get a more ‘of the moment’ bike if you tried, unless you want disks…(little more to hang of it yet tho).

Mmm, big fan of the 7-Series Madone, interested to see what the new unidentified Trek seen at the Dauphinè was, keep being tempted by a newer Madone to replace my haggard 2004 SL!

So to that end, right now mine would be:

– 7-Series Madone frame
    – 9070 Di2
    – Enve wheels in a suitable depth
    – Enve finishing kit

Not as exciting as specing a mountain bike, fewer bits!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

not a fan of seeing deep section wheels on skinny tubed bikes (like everyone’s cinelli pic), looks out of proportion and overweight.

everyone
    Free Member

Yea I’m a big fan of box section rims on steel bikes. That pic just happened to be the first one I found!

stufive
    Free Member

Already got mine

image by Stufive, on Flickr

🙂

warton
    Free Member

wheels must be Lightweight MEILENSTEIN OBERMAYER. 4 grand a pair.

Di2, if only for a custom enve stem.

I’d go for a custom BAUM frame. in gulf colours…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The Cinelli xCR would be my go to as well I think. Super Record kit, either Bora (or maybe a shallower section, Hyperon maybe?) wheels, nice selection of Cinelli carbon finishing kit to go with it.

Think I’d go for the older, non painted frame though, something bit more like this:

tomhoward

It’s very, very fast. 8)

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Enve stuff, clearly very good kit but the branding leaves me a bit meh these days. Probably because if someone is going to badge up some cheap kit, it’s invariably with Enve stickers.

schmiken

Custom Baum, Di2, AX brakes, Clavicula, Speedplay Zero Ti, 3T post, stem and bars, Nokon cables, Edge 1.25 laced onto Mack hubs with Vittoria tubs and a carbpn Aliante. Sorted.

njee20
    Free Member

Already got mine

105… truly the stuff of dreams there 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’d get a nice Hampsten frame built up and hang some Campy SR mechanical off it with some handmade low profile wheels.

Not too dissimilar to this really:

As Njee said road bikes have less scope for mixing and matching than MTB’s or even ‘cross bikes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Already got mine
    105… truly the stuff of dreams there

Not sure I’d spec a saddle bag on my ultimate build either 🙂

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I know a guy. Pretty successful time triallist who had an Addict with Ultegra. He preferred the feel of 105 so much that he swapped the Ultegra for it!

This one for me please:

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cervelo R5ca with old skool mechanical Red on it and Mavs M40C’s, oohh wait I’ve got that.
    Parlee Z5 with old skool mechanical Red on it and Mavs M40C’s, oohhh wait, I’ve got that too..
    Giant Advance1 CX, I say I’ve got that but it’s been with Giant having the SRAM recall brakes changed, for the last 2 months… so it’s with me in spirit at least 😆

8)

To me a bike must fit right, then you can hang off it what you like. I like my bikes light and stiff and fast and reliable since I’m no fan of tinkering/maintaining/fiddling I just like riding the thing(s). The Parlee is more comfortable to ride but it’s 3 years old now and I’m thinking of moving it on hence the purchase of the R5ca which is stiffer and lighter and I love it.
    I’m steering well clear of Di2 and other incarnations of battery powered click’idge and disc brakes on roadies are awful.

cap on, clip in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Road bike. Ultimate build thread ?’ is closed to new replies.