Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Feeling pis… Erm tipsy when you shouldn't
  • Houns

I’ve thought about asking this before, but this thread http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/working-from-home-dirty-lunch has just reminded me

When in a pub with many real ales I often ask for 3 x 1/3 pints so I can try them all. Every time after I finish the 3rd I feel how I would after 3 pints! Why is this so ?! Why do people feel tipsy after a few non-alcoholic beers?!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

1/3 pint?
    Is this some new sort of euro measure?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think some pubs do a “tray” with three small third-of-a-pint glasses of three different ales. I’ve had one in Bristol – nice way of deciding which beer you’ll try for the rest of the evening.

butcher

I get like that if I’m driving and drink non-alcoholic beer. I don’t know if it’s just the association, I mean it’s not like being drunk, but I do kinda feel like I’ve drunk something.

MoreCashThanDash

I think Houns is trying to hide the fact that he drinks in Wetherspoons….

Houns

Most real ale pubs I’ve been in do them, as dd says, it’s so you can sample the beers

(I only go in Whetherspoons for eggs benedict, it’s bloomin nice)

nedrapier

I think the association can very strong. If you’re the sort of person who likes to relax with a beer, your mind is going to start associating the act, taste, environment of having a beer with the idea that there’s no more work to be done, that this is the feet-up time when you can start to have a laugh and have a chat.

(A bit like smoking and the act of taking some time out, breathing deeply, switching your mind off for a moment. The chemicals themselves aren’t anywhere near as important as the process. Just occurred to me that rolling and smoking a cigarette is one of those acts that people concentrate on in a way that’s thought as very good for you – “mindfulness” and all that.)

If others are drinking and the conversation is lively, that’s another thing that you can relax into and can sweep you along. I’ve found that even if I’m just drinking coke.

nedrapier

And taking that further, I think there have been studies done that show a lot of drunk behaviour (you can read tipsy as well I guess) is socially conditioned, and doesn’t have a great deal to do with the physiological and psychological effects of alcohol.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A really good beer pub will offer a taster anyway.

Houns

Oh of course cfh. These are a good way of having a variety of beers without having to buy a whole pint

nedrapier

Not sure how good a beer pub it needs to be. I don’t think I’ve ever been refused a taster.

About the only place I’d expect to be turned down, there wouldn’t be any point.

Hmmm.. “Stella Artois”? Belgian is it? A Lager? OK. Or there’s the Carling, which is a bit weaker, but the same sort of stuff? I think I’ve had that one before. Could I just try a little of the Stella, please?

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Our local real ale pub gives free samples and the glasses are oversize pint to line, so you get more than a pint.
    On lads night out i am always wrecked 😕

Can’t work out why.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

These are a good way of having a variety of beers without having to buy a whole pint

Indeed! A great way to do it.

I also really like the idea of pricing by ABV.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A really good beer pub will offer a taster anyway.

So will a really shit one too, sometimes. It’s usually just one gulp anyway and as such won’t tell you as much as a few swigs as you’d get in a third.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Surely any self respcting tattooed oik wouldn’t be seen dead drinking from 1/3 pint glass! 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good job I’m not one of those then. As for Houns, well, he doesn’t have the tattoo. 🙂

bearnecessities

Beer festivals > tokens > variety of 1/3 pints > sloshed on a tenner.

Houns

The smaller measures are what to go for at beer festivals as they can’t turn the tap off in time so you always get more beer

NZCol

Pricing by ABV sort of happens here as making a high ABV beer costs more in general terms.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Oh of course cfh. These are a good way of having a variety of beers without having to buy a whole pint

You make it sound like a chore.
    If you want a taster ask for one. Usually a 1/4 pint for free.
    By the third you’ll probably have to buy a pint, but that’s no hardship, is it?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

What nedrapier said.

There was that documentary on the BBC where they took a bunch of people to the pub and told them they were getting the rounds in for them, but to be careful, because it was turbo lager, which was likely to make them lairy. At the point that said group started getting lairy, they informed them that they had in fact been drinking alcohol free lager.

A cruel and spiteful trick if you ask me, but does reinforce the point about social conditioning.

DrP

When I worked in a bar, I once saw a customer get very drunk on those new, highly alcoholic, j2o drinks…..
    Placebo and expectation are big factors!

DrP

Houns

suburbanreuben – Member
    You make it sound like a chore.
    If you want a taster ask for one. Usually a 1/4 pint for free.
    By the third you’ll probably have to buy a pint, but that’s no hardship, is it?

Not meant to sound like a chore, ‘spose I could’ve worded it better. My local has 9 real ales on. If most are new to me then I can try them all by ordering 3rds without getting hammered.

As mentioned above, just asking for a sample is fine, but one gulp and it’s gone, you can’t really tell much from that

hooli

I think if I asked for a third of a pint in my local I would be laughed at and thrown out. Not even sure I would get away with a half 😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Never mind that a lot of craft beers theses days are well above the usual 3%-5% of traditional lager or ale. A fair chunk of my favourite beers are in the 6-11% range. Not a chance of drinking a pint of one of those. A couple of 3rd’s is perfect.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Feeling pis… Erm tipsy when you shouldn't’ is closed to new replies.