Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 9,187 total)
  • Rishi! Sunak!
  • binners

Nice to see that Rishi is as shameless as Boris at getting a Zelensky photo op in when the heat is on

ernielynch

Volodymyr Zelensky is here on an official visit, he will be addressing the UK Parliament later.

What do expect the Rishi Sunak to do – blank him? Not allow press photographers to photograph his meeting with the President of Ukraine? Not be seen endorsing him and his visit?

What exactly is your criticism?

binners

The timing was quite handy.

Turning up just before PMQ’s

Its not like Rishi is busy the rest of the time. PMQs is the only time anyone actually sees or hears from him

ernielynch

Wasn’t the timing so that Volodymyr Zelensky could address both Houses?

trailmonkey

Sorry, but 30p Lee. WTAF ?????

I can only hope that when Labour are in power  they weaponize these catastrophic decisions in the same way that the Tories used the ‘ no more money left’ note as proof of Labour’s mismanagement.

In any other period of history, just having Lee Anderson as a parliamentary candidate should have been enough to call a party’s credibility into question.

Poopscoop

^^ I could’ve agree more regarding Lee. The Tories are bereft of talent, ideas and morals.

As for Rishi, ive no doubt Zelensky being here is a welcome distraction but even if the timing is engineered, Zelensky needs all the exposure he can get at the moment what with Russia likely to launch a renewed offensive imminently. That overrides my dislike for Sunak/ the Tories.

ernielynch

30p Lee was a Labour councillor until he defected to the Tories about 4 years ago.

I am not sure why binners originally mentioned him when making the point that the “they are all the same” narrative was false. It seems an odd choice.

binners

Well the “they are all the same” narrative clearly is false as Anderson chose to leave the labour party on account of, in his own words:

‘The takeover of the Labour Party by the hard left’

So he clearly went over to somewhere where he felt more at home. And given the views he’s expressed since I can’t see how he ever associated himself with labour in any way.

Given his Daily Mail-esque views and character, can you envisage any eventuality where he would have ended up as Deputy Chairman of the Labour Party? or indeed in any role in the party on a national level?

Yet according to your “they are all the same” narrative, that would have been on the cards then, surely?

Getting back on topic: Sunak appointing 30p Lee is just more of the same. The ERG headbanger brigade wagging the Tory dog, yet again. They all love him, but it just shows you is just how weak Rishi is in dealing with them, and how he’s as willing to give in to their demands as his predecessors

The Tory party is essentially UKIP  and lets be honest… Lee Anderson would have felt just as at home with Farage and co

ernielynch

“Given his Daily Mail-esque views and character,”

And you think he was a completely different person with a different character 4 years ago?

I find him a strange example to offer of how different the parties are when he so seamlessly moved from one to the other.

Surely there must be better examples than some geezer who was a complete arsehole in the Labour Party 4 years ago and is now a complete arsehole in the Tory Party?

“Yet according to your “they are all the same” narrative,”.

It’s not my narrative. Daz pointed out that is how many potential voters see the situation and why they don’t bother voting. I can’t say that I am entirely surprised.

Klunk
    Free Member

He’s a sly ol’ dog Zelensky…. he’s backed Sunak into a corner with the request for jets…. Joint press conference now should be interesting “well mr prime minister are you going to supply fighter jets?”

gobuchul
    Free Member

30p Lee was a Labour councillor until he defected to the Tories about 4 years ago.

Not really a defection, he was suspended from the Labour party, then he left.

Poopscoop

It’s only a matter of time before jets are supplied I would say. I can’t but think, just like tanks, it would have shortened the war and the suffering to have supplied them far sooner.

Sorry to cross the streams guys.

binners

Surely there must be better examples than some geezer who was a complete arsehole in the Labour Party 4 years ago and is now a complete arsehole in the Tory Party?

Had anyone ever heard of Lee Anderson before he became a Tory MP?

ernielynch

Nah he was suspended for 4 months. He chose to leave and join the Tory Party after that.

There is no reason to assume that he wouldn’t be in the Labour Party today if he hadn’t chosen to leave – he wasn’t kicked out.

ernielynch

“Had anyone ever heard of Lee Anderson before he became a Tory MP?”

Yup, he made the headlines when he blocked his road alledgedly to stop travellers.

The Daily Mail loved the story:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5328791/Man-blocks-car-park-stop-travellers-setting-camp.html

Although they omitted to mention that he was a Labour councillor in the headline, you have to read the article to find that out.

crazyjenkins01

What if those voters know that nothing will change as a result of their vote and so stay at home? Are they morons as Kerley would have us believe, or are they rational people who can’t see the point in doing something that will have no effect?

As has been previously said (by you I believe but apologies if I’m  misremembering) re: Brexit some people were duped and voted for change, any change. Now that’s not the best example granted, but if you dont like what is happening (re government) then voting for another party at least gives the chance of a change that may be positive. To not vote is giving up on even the chance of a positive change.

DrJ

PMQs is the only time anyone actually sees […] him

That’s because he is very small and generally hidden from view by the adult-size hi-viz jacket from his dressing-up box 🙂

binners

They all love their cosplay, don’t they? Boris, Instagram <span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Liz and now Rishi, pretending what it’s like to have a proper job. </span>

I blame George Osbourne and his ‘Northern Powerhouse’ schtick for starting all this nonsense

tjagain

It goes back a lot longer than these clowns.  Thatcher loved a bit of cosplay!

ernielynch

To be fair to him Ernie, not wanting a pikey to have a poo in your back garden is not necessarily a party political issue 😂

To put your bigotry to one side for a moment it is. The Tories create the conditions which encourages it and then complain about it.

A Labour government introduced the Caravan Sites Act 1968 which placed a statutory obligation on local authorities to provide halting sites, it resulted in 400 being established.

Thatcher, pandering to bigots, scrapped the legal requirement of local authorities to provide halting sites. And now the Tories, and the usual right-wingers,  unsurprisingly complain where travellers stop.

And btw Anderson was not suspended from the Labour Party but temporarily from the Ashfield District Council Labour group, after being issued with community protection warning by the council.

BillMC

‘Nothing off the table’ , ‘option’, ‘long term’ ….bombast.

BillMC

Let’s not get distracted by Tinkertown or Knackeragua.

molgrips
    Free Member

pretending what it’s like to have a proper job

He does have a proper job, he just isn’t doing it properly.

tjagain

Zelensky is a really good political operator and he knows darn well I am sure that he is being used by Johnson and Sunak to make themselves look big on the world stage – and he is using that to get what he wants.

MoreCashThanDash

He’s a sly ol’ dog Zelensky…. he’s backed Sunak into a corner with the request for jets….

But you can’t just hand over a jet. It’s months of training and a huge resource to keep them flying. Hard enough with tanks and missile systems.

Great publicity to ask, but there were good reasons even Boris didn’t do it.

MoreCashThanDash

Oh FFS, how do you do quotes nowadays 🤦‍♂️

tjagain

Dunno – I just tried to be clever and it didn’t work!

tjagain

Oh FFS, how do you do quotes nowadays

maybe this works?

ernielynch

Oh FFS, how do you do quotes nowadays

I find that it is mostly through luck than design these days.

Tip: If at first you don’t succeed keep trying.

Poopscoop

Are people having problems quoting on their pc’s? Works like a charm on my android with Chrome. Not tried on my pc yet though.

zippykona

Are people having problems quoting on their pc’s? Works like a charm on my android with Chrome. Not tried on my pc yet though.

Testing

ernielynch

Testing

I have just vaguely mastered it. I am going to take the plunge and try bold and italics next.

Bleedin ‘ell I think that worked.

Poopscoop

It just messed up for me on another thread when I didn’t remember to “paste as plain text.”

Poopscoop

BillMC

Zelensky: Buffalo or Montane?

crazy-legs

But you can’t just hand over a jet. It’s months of training and a huge resource to keep them flying. Hard enough with tanks and missile systems.

Does the UK even have any “spare” jets to give?!

Plus it’s not just the aircraft, it’s the whole parts, maintenance, training and support packages…

martinhutch

Lee Anderson is perfect for his role in the current death-spiraling government, he’s just chaff thrown out behind the plane to deflect incoming missiles. He seems to know what his role is, and is playing it with gusto. Today, it’s the return of the death penalty, tomorrow it will be public flogging for striking nurses, the day after it will be burning books, sinking small boats, and making homosexuality illegal again.

The alternative to Anderson is more coverage of stuff that is actually more problematic for Sunak.

ernielynch

Well Lee Anderson might as well make the most of it whilst he can, in about 18 months time he will no longer be an MP.

martinhutch

The recognition boost you get from getting on the news regularly is the only chance he has, and hitting the Daily Mail talking points hard will help a bit, but you have to hope that the people of Ashfield will send him packing. Perhaps they should find their Deputy Chairman a safer seat in the shires? 🙂

the day after it will be … sinking small boats

Apologies, didn’t realise he’d already more or less covered this one.

pk13

Anderson is an odd one set up his own food bank to then try and say they are not needed.

He is perfect distraction material for us all to marvel at. At least he never went to Eton. 8 thousand majority is going to be tougher to turn over than you might think with ID voting  and low turn out

Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 9,187 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.