• This topic has 9,223 replies, 351 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by kerley.
Viewing 40 posts - 8,761 through 8,800 (of 9,224 total)
  • Rishi! Sunak!
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

Okay could you just tell me what point you’re making, I’m not in the mood for guessing games.

binners

How long before Gullis has to quit/resign when hes caught in a hot mike incident talking about Angela Rayner’s arse

He’ll go in exactly the same fashion as 30p Lee, then will probably follow the same path over to reform to join his soulmate. I doubt he’ll be the last either

ransos
    Free Member

“Okay could you just tell me what point you’re making, I’m not in the mood for guessing games.”

For the hard of thinking: a precedent doesn’t make something a good idea, or immune from criticism by those from the same side.

mattyfez

I’d settle for boring and competent these days.

Me personaly, I absolutley agree.

May 3rd when the Tories get an absolute shoeing in the local elections.

Indeed, I have no love for Labour but I’m gonna vote for whatever red flag waving pointless dohnut they put forward in the locals. The country needs to send a strong and clear message to Downing Street that the tories time is over.

I’d sooner vote lib dem, but they have really no chance of doing anything in my locals.

crazy-legs

Indeed, I have no love for Labour but I’m gonna vote for whatever red flag waving pointless dohnut they put forward in the locals. The country needs to send a strong and clear message that the tories time is over.

Same here and my constituency really is marginal, it’s flipped back and forth a couple of times since I’ve lived here. Currently blue.

Also we’ll be a new Mayoral Combined Authority so we get to vote for a Mayor as well. Another tick in a red box.

zomg

Junior ministers Robert Halfon and James Heappey quit government

Robert Halfon blocked me on Twitter years ago for mocking him for claiming that hackers had accessed his Twitter account to express condolences on the death of Jimmy Savile. All I said was that the hackers must have been time travellers to know that Savile was actually going to be disgraced. The memory always makes me smile when his name crops up, the dim *****.

somafunk

Replacing Lee Anderson with Jonathan Gullis is like shitting your pants then changing your shirt!

https://x.com/wokeymcwokefac3/status/1772727497865494873?s=61&t=27Xz8oI3pGlaNEQvowJBcg

mattyfez

Junior ministers Robert Halfon and James Heappey quit government

Are they real names? They sound like Hobbit names to me… do they hail from the shire?

Pesky hobbites!

Northwind

James Heappey always sounds like they’re doing the Dominic Raaaaaaab thing again

kelvin

Lord Carrington was the last unelected holder of one of the great offices of state, what, 100 years ago? Let’s not pretend it’s “normal” when these detached chinless wonders bring back the idea by making Cameron foreign secretary. It’s a ducking poke in the eye of our fast corroding democracy.

tjagain

Its business as normal for our pseudo democracy

tjagain

What do i know of Gullis for?  Name is familiar for some piece of nonsense

binners

Gullis is a right wing rent-a-gob, always ready with a soundbite to ‘say it like it is’. Like 30p Lee  he’s the chinless private schoolboys idea of what a working class person is like.

The knuckle-draggers knuckle-dragger. A nasty, reactionary yob who they think will appeal to the Sun-reading, white van driving ‘Red Wall’ demographic.

He has to be odds on as the next one to join Reform

rone

I’d settle for boring and competent these days

Competent conservatism?

Where does this ridiculous notion of successful politics being competent and boring is the correct readdress for the failed outcome of neolibralism – come from?

I mean imagine if the Tories were even more competent at concentrating wealth.

pondo

I think it’s more that people are over the grim populist propaganda of the current government where truth and integrity are inconveniances to be ridden rough shod over. Boring and incompetent would be an improvement.

““Er, mind Mandelson was given the same honour. It’s not breaking convention to have unelected cabinet members.””

Absolutely. And it was completely uncontroversial at the time. ”

Isn’t the point that the current inepts previously campaigned on a platform of ridding us of unelected bureaucrats?

kerley
    Free Member

I’d settle for boring and competent these days

I would guess that the majority of people find politics boring and wouldn’t really know if the government was particularly competent as they are not measuring it or looking that deeply because they find it boring.

That is the reason emotive BS like immigration can work on some people.

MoreCashThanDash

“Lord Carrington was the last unelected holder of one of the great offices of state, what, 100 years ago?”

Er, no actually. In the 80s. Within the lifetime for most of us on here.

Not disagreeing with the arguments against peers holding office, but easily disproved hyperbole is not a strong argument against it.

Damnit, I want my quote function back!

binners

The fact that at a time where there’s so much going on in the world the Foreign Secretary can’t actually give any statements or take questions in the H0C is patently absurd, but thats not the real issue here. The main issue is that its ‘Lord  ••••ing Cameron’

Rishi must have been taking crack when he thought the solution to that particular problem was to enoble ‘Dave’ –  the man who brought us Brexit, then scarpered – and elevate him to one of the great offices of state. Because he did such a great job as PM and its hardly like he’s done much other than a write a book that nobody read then get mired in a lobbying scandal since.

Be honest… did anyone see David Cameron get out of that Range Rover outside number ten and not think ‘WTAF?!’

crazy-legs

What do i know of Gullis for? Name is familiar for some piece of nonsense

He’s a football hooligan who got put into a suit for a court appearance but ended up walking into the House of Commons instead. The mistake still hasn’t been rectified.

Loudmouth pound-shop version of Nigel Farage with similarly far right views on immigrants. Seems to think he’s funny but he’s basically just a strategically shaved Neanderthal.

kelvin

Within the lifetime for most of us on here.

You have a better memory than me. Who was that? We’re talking PM, Chancellor, Home, Foreign Secretary.

kerley
    Free Member

Lord Carington was Foreign Secretary from 1979 – 1982 so not really 100 years ago and certainly within my lifetime.

ernielynch

Lord Carrington was the last unelected holder of one of the great offices of state, what, 100 years ago?

The UK had an unelected Prime Minister from the House of Lords in the 1960s

The good news is that Keir Starmer has pledged to abolish the House of Lords and replace it with “an elected chamber of regions and nations.”

Keir Starmer: I will abolish House of Lords to ‘restore trust in politics’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/19/keir-starmer-i-will-abolish-house-of-lords-to-restore-trust-in-politics

intheborders
    Free Member

I have no love for Labour

Why, are you billionaires or is it that deep down you still believe in Tory policies but it#s just that they’ve not implemented them properly?

ernielynch

Another possibility is that mattyfez is a Liberal Democrat supporter.

kerley
    Free Member

Or like me he has fallen out of love with Labour over the last few years?

kelvin

thanks for the kick in the memory cells

intheborders
    Free Member

Another possibility is that mattyfez is a Liberal Democrat supporter.

They don’t really exist, just folk that won’t commit either way 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’m a Labour Party member.

I live in one of the poorest areas of the UK.

We have an awful ERG Tory MP.

The constituency has never elected a Labour MP.

I will probably be voting Lib Dem unless there is a distinct change in the run up to the GE.

squirrelking
    Free Member

@ransos I’m not saying I agree with it, just that it’s not an unusual occurrence and it’s not outside the rules.

Sandwich

Keir Starmer: I will abolish House of Lords to ‘restore trust in politics’

Sisyphus would be proud

James Heappey always sounds like they’re doing the Dominic Raaaaaaab thing again

It’s a step to the left. . . .

mefty
    Free Member

Lord Mandelson was “First Secretary of State” – i.e. Deputy Prime Minister under Brown. Of course, Lord Chancellor, which had to be occupied by a Lord, was generally regarded as a great office of state until its duties were reassigned. The occupier still precedes the Prime Minister in the Order of Precedence.

ransos
    Free Member

“@ransos I’m not saying I agree with it, just that it’s not an unusual occurrence and it’s not outside the rules.”

Once every twenty years or more seems pretty unusual to me. I haven’t suggested it was outside the rules.

binners

When you consider the turnover of Ministers over the last 14 years, one Lord seems a pretty low hit rate

frankconway

Some posts above about Gullis.

He was a teacher before becoming an MP.

For the sake of his former pupils, I hope he was a much better teacher than he is an MP.

crazy-legs

He was a teacher before becoming an MP.

Explains a lot about the state of education in this country!

zomg

Jonathan Gillis is perhaps the only MP who can rightfully claim to have improved education in the UK in the last 14 years.

martinhutch

Apparently his former pupils describe him in less than glowing terms. High point was him losing his shit over someone photoshopping his head onto a picture of a seagull and sticking them up around the school.

zomg

High point was him losing his shit over someone photoshopping his head onto a picture of a seagull and sticking them up around the school.

I’m enjoying imagining that it might have been a fellow teacher who did this to him.

PrinceJohn

Be honest… did anyone see David Cameron get out of that Range Rover outside number ten and not think ‘WTAF?!’

Thought it was the final part of a long form Stewart Lee joke.

binners

High point was him losing his shit over someone photoshopping his head onto a picture of a seagull and sticking them up around the school.

I’m now tempted to start every day by photoshopping Gullis’s head onto a picture of a seagull and tagging him on Twitter. This is the one that caused him to lose his shit…

GBYaGhXWEAIbd9g

Viewing 40 posts - 8,761 through 8,800 (of 9,224 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.