Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 174 total)
  • Rip Rangers
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

~Really Seosamh 77 – lets see
    1) You are proud to sing a song at a football natch that is known as a sectarian song
    2)recent legislation has made it an offence to sing sectarian songs at football matches

So – when did you last go to a game?

seosamh77
    Free Member

~Really Seosamh 77 – lets see
    1) You are proud to sing a song at a football natch that is known as a sectarian song
    2)recent legislation has made it an offence to sing sectarian songs at football matches

So – when did you last go to a game?
    Last night youth cup final, before that heart semi final, before that st johnstone……

Next game will be, the last ever huns game! :mrgreen:

Ps yes unrepentant fenian bastard is how i would term it. Now go away and stop bringing this shit up every time this subject gets mentioned. You look like a fool. There is a different perspective from the British one, not that I expect you to understand.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So you are now a self confessed sectarian bigot. Nice. I grew up in Glasgow and met folk like yo then. Bunch of fuds the were then and the rotten remnants remain so today. Fud

seosamh77
    Free Member

So you are now a self confessed sectarian bigot. Nice. I grew up in Glasgow and met folk like yo then. Bunch of fuds the were then and the rotten remnants remain so today. Fud

mon to buggery though, singing IRA songs is a akin to supporting the KKK. Next you’ll be telling us supporting the palestinian cause is akin to Nazism. fool.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Hypothetical question for Rangers fans – If the L-bomb hits, as seems an increasingly strong possibility, and the curtain falls on 140 eventful years, what will you do?

Throw your weight behind whatever Zombie Rangers outfit emerges from the wreckage, bearing in mind it will be a completely new club, shorn of all official history and tradition, which will have to start from scratch and likely endure a few years in the wilderness before regaining anything like its former vigour?

Support another big/wee/juniors/English/European team?

Pack in fitba altogether?

downshep

Speaking as a weegie of irish descent who is agnostic and has attended many an old firm game. Each side of the Old Firm is as bad as the other. Union flag imagery and thuggery is matched by rebel songs and tricolour waving in equal measure. Healthy sporting rivalry was lost long long ago on the significant minority of vocal bigots. Old Firm football has log been a vehicle for the troubles and it is played out weekly by nasty nasty small minded men singing their evil chants about being knee deep in blood or transported from their fields. Take a look at the ferries and buses transporting the Irish contingent away from their local clubs across the North Channel to Scotland. Whatever justification the imported and home grown muppets think they have for singing such nonsense at a sporting fixture is so laughably risible that the only conclusion that may reasonably be drawn is that old firm football in the west of Scotland is a sport hijacked by drunken idealism.

Natural rivalry is healthy, the Old Firm still has a hope of sharing sharp, edgy banter but pissheads, particularly in Rangers Risk and the Green Brigade take it so far beyond the norms of sport. Stadium violence is minimal but the knock on effect elsewhere on impressionable yoofs and angry husbands after these games is enormous, ask any polis or A&E nurse.

Those who perpetuate the hatred under the spurious guise of heritage and history are deluded. Sport is about skill, excellence and winning within the rules. Bigoted thuggery shouldn’t feature but sadly overshadows Scotland’s two most successful teams.

Rangers FC has suffered terrible mismanagement. An element of fiscal punishment is expected but the SFA have been astonishingly short sighted in their increasingly punitive approach to Rangers predicament. Enduring sporting rivalry needs balance, killing Rangers will tip this for good, harming smaller clubs reliant on visitor takings at the turnstile. Celtic will have no realistic rival for years. How long before boredom cripples the scottish game?

andyruss
    Free Member

That is the best post on this thread by far. Well said downshep

andyruss
    Free Member

The trouble with the bigots is that they can ‘t except N Irland has moved on from the troubles. They need the mob mentality to fill what ever sad void they have in their lives. I used to go to rangers game as a young teen and sang anti catholic songs. Two tours of the provence opened my eyes to the utter crap it was/ is. I now have a son who supports celtic ( l,blame his mum) who would like to watch an oldfirm game, l would like to go as well but will not subject him to that kind of bile. It is long past the time the bigots from the central belt caught up with the rest of the UK and filed the irish troubles to, history

duckman

Very good points downshep, however SS77 has already informed us that the songs are not in any way bigoted and indeed are used to cover up the real problems in Scottish society. So you must be wrong.

Oh hang on he gets a mention;

Those who perpetuate the hatred under the spurious guise of heritage and history are deluded.

I will ask again, explain this different perspective you allude to SS77…I would like to see it. My postgrad (Mphil,Dundee)was on the impact of Immigrants and Exiles to and from Scotland 1830-1930. I was interested in this subject as I come from part of Dundee once known as Tipperary because of it’s high number of Irish immigrants who came for work in the mills. I had always thought of myself as being quite knowledgeable about the subject of population movement to Scotland, but you claim to have a perspective I don’t and couldn’t understand…

wrecker
    Free Member

Crikey, seosham has been long established as a bellend so why are we still wasting breath on him?

stanfree
    Free Member

Brilliant post Downshep , Seosamh77 once again you sound like A complete tool. I remember a previous thread where you shared your small minded sectarian ideals.(think It was one about rememberance day).
    Despite not liking the 90 minute bigots on both side I can almost understand why they get sucked into the banter , chanting etc. Its pretty much what most football fans do but just with a ugly sectarian edge.
    Its the full time bigots who constantly 24-7 go on about the pope / queen and have no other outlet / angle in there lifes but to preach hate about there rivals I despise.
    To be honest Im surprised this thread hasn’t been pulled as ‘Althepal’ started a serious post and as he feared himself It has developed into a full scale mud slinging mess.
    For the record as much as I despise the old firm I do feel sorry for the genuine lifelong supporter who has to watch his team go to the wall.

althepal

Finally, some sense and perspective from a few folk- actually, the majority of folk.
    It’s a shame there’s still one or two idiots on here that show their stupidity and hide behind history and heritage.
    It’s clear how the majority of folk on here regard them and their outdated ideals.
    Totally agree with, and happy to see the posts above from downshep onwards.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Some great posts above, well done.

I have a problem with this though:

Throw your weight behind whatever Zombie Rangers outfit emerges from the wreckage, bearing in mind it will be a completely new club, shorn of all official history and tradition

The club isnt a company, and so, cant be liquidated. The company can, but the company 140 years old anyway, the club was there before, and it’ll be around after. I’d continue to support it, even if it had to work back up from division 3.

binners

Is this sectarian bickering still going on? Hurray! There will always be one place on the internet where its 1873.

Well done 🙄

duckman

Is this sectarian bickering still going on? Hurray! There will always be one place on the internet where its 1873.

Well done

What bickering? I see somebody with unacceptable views being dug up. Much as you would like to paint all of Scottish football in that light it isn’t the case. Maybe you should stick to the thread about Liverpool and Manchester taunting one another about Munich/H’bro.

seosamh77
    Free Member

What bickering? I see somebody with unacceptable views being dug up. Much as you would like to paint all of Scottish football in that light it isn’t the case. Maybe you should stick to the thread about Liverpool and Manchester taunting one another about Munich/H’bro.

Dug up my arse, you are all clapping a post that equates the fields of athenry with being up to your knees in fenian blood. I’m not entering into the discussion while those are the accepted parameters of parity.

downshep

Wasn’t having a go at you personally s77, don’t quit now!

The fields of Athenry is actually a lovely song, unlike the Sash. However, these are not the only songs… There are so many others..soldiers? Bobby Sands? famine? pope / queen? Each side has quite a back catalogue of offensive songs and chants, few of which have anything to do with punting a ball up a football park and everything to do with perpetuating the sectarian divide. Not to mention, flags, banners & symbols with no connection to the ‘beautiful’ game yet proudly displayed at a certain sporting event.

21st century sport doesn’t need this neanderthal mud slinging.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

all clapping a post that equates the fields of athenry with being up to your knees in fenian blood.

Errmm – no we were not – It was “The boys of the old brigade”

In 2006, Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell suggested that he was embarrassed by “offensive” chants in support of the Provisional IRA, even though these songs were political and not “overtly sectarian”.[4] In 2007, Celtic chairman Brian Quinn suggested that the “Boys of the Old Brigade” had no place at Celtic Park.[5]

In 2008, UEFA abandoned an investigation into Celtic supporters singing the “Boys of the Old Brigade” due to lack of evidence.[6]

In April 2011, Strathclyde Police chief superintendent, Andy Bates, warned that as part of a crackdown on sectarian singing at an upcoming Old Firm game: “If you sing the Boys Of The Old Brigade, we’ll arrest you and there have been convictions in court before where that song is concerned.”[7]

BBC Sportscene’s Rob MacLean accused Celtic supporters of being sectarian for singing the song in May 2011.[8]

In 2011, a Scottish court suggested that those showing support to the IRA were not being offensive to members of “a religious group”,[9]

seosamh77
    Free Member

TJ, the 2 still don’t equate to each other.

And your wikipedea copy and paste seems to suggest the song, while unpalatable to British and commercial ears(which is understandable), isn’t bigoted after all. Make up your mind.

anyhow, clearly this is pissing against the wind. I’ll leave you to your own conclusions.

BruceWee

Very tricky subject when talking about songs. For example, is The Foggy Dew really that different to The Boys of the Old Brigade? possibly the latter celebrates violence more but the sentiment is pretty much the same.

Is it just more to do with the circumstances where they tend to be sung?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

The club isnt a company, and so, cant be liquidated. The company can, but the company 140 years old anyway, the club was there before, and it’ll be around after. I’d continue to support it, even if it had to work back up from division 3.

Fair play to you. I guess that is what most would do in theory. What percentage of your fellow-travellers will do likewise? Bearing in mind that any Rangers fan under 40 will have been reared on a more or less continuous diet of silverware and lording it over the wee teams on the back of an economically unsustainable model of player recruitment. Is a club building itself up from ground zero going to sustain their interest?

I think the doom and gloom merchants who say Scottish football needs a strong Rangers and is doomed without it are overstating it. Look at this season – Killie with the league cup, and an all-embra cup final in the offing that could have sold out Hampden twice over. Celtic, a club with a board that is pragmatic to the point of tightfistedness and a history of ballsing thngs up from a position of apparent strength, will not have it all their own way. In any case, I think there would be some league reorganisation which would see Rangers v2.0 brought back into the top division fold sooner rather than later.

I could see the wee teams being emboldened by having not two but one apparently insurmountable obstacles between them and success.

duckman

Actually I don’t think for a moment Fields of Athenry is anything like the two little ditties you sing, but try and pretend people have said it is,and use that as an excuse to hide. Maybe time you changed your user name as everybody who see’s you try and justify your views seems to think you are an arse. And I am still waiting for you to explain the insight you have,but nobody else seems to, as to why they are acceptable. Until then I, along with all the rest of the people who mentioned it,will continue to point out that you are bigot.

….SS77 Insert attempted flippant retort here……

kilo

Very tricky subject when talking about songs. For example, is The Foggy Dew really that different to The Boys of the Old Brigade? possibly the latter celebrates violence more but the sentiment is pretty much the same.

Is it just more to do with the circumstances where they tend to be sung?

Good point I’ve heard Sean South played by bands in the bar after matches at London Irish and no one there seemed to find it offensive. I wouldn’t always equate songs such as Foggy dew, Sean south or BoTOB as “PIRA” songs, more like traditional irish songs like Athenray or terrible Irish C&W music

seosamh77
    Free Member

Until then I, along with all the rest of the people who mentioned it,will continue to point out that you are bigot.

Fair enough, you are clueless though. Water off a ducks back to me.

duckman

you are clueless though

Nope that would be you, and bigoted. Get well soon.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Duckman – somehow I don’t think we are getting thru to him.

Scotlands top policeman says its an offence to sing “the boys of the old brigade” at a football match, so does the top lawyer, so does the First minister. So does the chairman of celtic football club. Courts have convicted people for doing this.

However we are all wrong its just a bit of fun and its heritage

ojom
    Free Member

ta mods

Brycey
    Free Member

Ach well; game over.

ojom
    Free Member

Sometimes i wish i was a mod with a big ban hammer.

Brycey
    Free Member

You’re an embarrassment S77.

bedmaker

Haven’t read the thread, just this page.
    Can I just point out to those south of the border the drivel above is a Glasgow/central belt thing, not a Scottish thing.
    Just embarrassing. 🙁

I quite enjoy playing a game of footy but everything to do with the professional game is a bit crap imo.

jota180
    Free Member

S77 – I’m sure al Scottish football fans aren’t like you

At least, I hope so
    Your sort of prehistoric bigotry will hopefully die now the other cheek of the shitty arse is finished

StefMcDef
    Free Member

For a dispassionate, outsider’s view of the whole Rangers in administration saga, particularly their latest unedifying threats-cast-in-every-direction death throes, check out this blog by Channel 4 News’ chief correspondent Alex Thomson.

althepal

Nice imagery there Jota, very nice. Way to tar everyone with the same brush..Or is it toilet paper?
    StefMcD- I disagree with the journos comments somewhat.
    Yep, I bet McCoist regrets it now, and I think he should too, but at the time it camr across as more of a rhetorical comment made without much thought, and a bit out of character for one of the few folk that’s conducted themselves with a bit of dignity throughout this mess.

konabunny
    Free Member

Can I just point out to those south of the border the drivel above is a Glasgow/central belt thing, not a Scottish thing.

Central Belt is 70% of the country’s population, so the distinction isn’t that significant.

jota180
    Free Member

althepal – I was referring to the clubs and their tolerance of the sort of thing that S77 posted up there ^ that’s now been deleted

Brycey
    Free Member

Konabunny – I hope you’re talking football* and not generally.

*even if you are, still pretty poor.

althepal

I didn’t see it Jota but was aware there had been something deleted.. Surprised it took so long. Banhammer utilised also I’m guessing if it was that bad.
    We’re not all fuds, and frankly when folk make sweeping generalisations about everyone in the central belt/west of Scotland being like that it’s pretty poor and quite shallow really. Prob says more about the person making the insult than those it refers to.
    We’re (old firm supporters) not all lager-swilling sectarian knuckle dragging wife beaters you know. I know this because I’ll probably have the joy of meeting a load of them tonight at my work. Sigh.

stanfree
    Free Member

Sadly the whole sectarian thing is not just confined to the central belt . Im originally from Elgin and there are two massive Rangers and celtic supporters clubs in that neck of the woods , despite having two spl clubs on the doorstep and there own professional 3rd division team.
    As I stated before the 90 minute bigot though misguided I dont mind but several of my old mates live and breathe the lifestyle of constantly bitching about protestants and catholics despite not being near a church since there wedding.
    As much as I despise Rangers the thought of them starting off in division 3 should be seen as a new start and chance to start again.Also they will obviously breeze the leagues and bring loads of revenue to the likes of the Elgin City of this world.
    Also whilst we are laughing at Rangers this is the tip of the Iceberg and many more will follow.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 174 total)

The topic ‘Rip Rangers’ is closed to new replies.