• This topic has 275 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by lowey.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 276 total)
  • Riding the Wainwrights
  • Sanny
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

We headed down the black line trail. I rode Birks as an out and back to nab the summit. It was a bit boggy like you say. The black path is far better. We also avoided the steep rocky band above Birks and went round it on a lovely singletrack path that was 100% rideable.  We looked back up the trail and were pleased that we had avoided it in favour of a far superior track.

I reckon from what you are saying that St Sunday Crag down to Grizedale Tarn would be a more rewarding route off for you. It would be stiff old carry up onto St Sunday Crag but you would get the reward of a very long descent back to Glenridding if you did it as a loop.

I would say that Catseye Cam down to Birkhouse Moor would make for a terrific high level ride. You could then retrace your steps to Red Tarn and head down the track we went up. That would be fast and flowy. You could keep going on the trail past the mine buildings too.

Really appreciate the knowledge on Sticks Pass. Only ever ridden down it but it sounds like a nice way up too.

Grizedale Pike is a funny one. Everywhere else can be calm but that ridge can really catch the wind.

Feel free to post more photos. Really nice to see where you went on your latest adventures!

Cheers

Sanny

hb70

I did half of Fairfield Saturday. I’ve walked it 3 times before- anticlockwise- but over 15 years ago. Read the guides (poorly as it turned out- that said do it Clockwise). Left family in Ambleside. Then made a succession of terrible errors that left me climbing up the steps from Rydal with a bike on my back. Before getting on to ride after an hour of carrying. Sitting on a saddle- that snapped- (that bit was just unlucky). Pondering next steps in the snow, and eventually coming down towards Stone Arthur from c700m (walking chunks of it). Terrible map reading. Terrible decision making. What a waste of a day.

Entirely my fault and I take full responsibility. But should I have gone straight on alongside Rydal Beck before left up to Rydal Fell and ignored this map https://www.plotaroute.com/route/260268 which seems to point you up the steep steps at Rydal?

fergal
    Free Member

@sanny Grasmoor is great as a descent in it’s own right starting from Braithwaite, descending down the faint singletrack on the plateau to Coledale hause is such a delight, feels like you are in the Cairngorms, from Coledale hause down past force crag to Braithwaite is flowy fun with a little tech. Surprised you fell for the Whiteside down the very steep west ridge is good, just look at the contours on the map, certainly a lot of BS being spouted about what constitutes a good MTB ride on this thread!. Down to the Dodd and Lorton is the best descent, it is an absolute corker.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

climbing up the steps from Rydal with a bike on my back. Before getting on to ride after an hour of carrying. Sitting on a saddle- that snapped- (that bit was just unlucky). Pondering next steps in the snow, and eventually coming down towards Stone Arthur from c700m (

Nooooooo
    I think that one has been discussed to death in this thread. Defo anticlockwise 😉
    Gotta go down Rydal steps FTW

Have a look at my brief writeup…

High tops in lakes tomorrow, yay or nay?

Didn’t do Rydal steps on that occasion, but …..

We headed down the black line trail.

We also avoided the steep rocky band above Birks and went round it on a lovely singletrack path that was 100% rideable.

Ah OK. Looks like we actually did ride most of it. ( Not the band, but most of the rest I think)

justinbieber

@sanny – yeah, Whiteside ridge is a peach isn’t it! I have cleaned the whole ridge to where it drops off the end of the world at the very end. Following someone who knows where they’re going makes it a lot easier – doing it blind would certainly be a challenge.

I’ve only attempted the main whiteside descent once – it’s in that video I posted a while back. There are definitely some bits that are impossible, but I wouldn’t mind going back and having another look some time.

Descending to the right off the main ridge is indeed a great descent – fast n grassy, a few ruts, getting chunkier towards the middle then mellowing out a little before hitting the road.

Sanny
    Free Member

@hb70

All been there! Fairfield for me is best via Low and High Sweden Bridge. Up the Rydal way is just plain wrong unless done as an out and back in my book. The steps are great in my experience as a descent or you can head down to the tarn before it for an easier way down.

@fergal

The stuff off the end of Whiteside was always going to be a gamble from looking at the map but one we chose to take. We got part way down and at the point of having to push down, we decided just to press on. I really looks forward to doing the Dodd trail next time around though. Have to try your Grassmoor route at some point. Sounds ace.

@Justinbieber

Good effort cleaning the ridge. The wind was fair blowing yesterday so we got off for two very short sections as we had well over 3000 metres of climbing in our legs from the two days and had no desire to **** ourselves through tiredness. It certainly looked like it would all go though.

Out of interest, has anyone ridden Ladyside Pike from below the top scrambly slabs? Does it go? It certainly looks intriguing!

justinbieber

@sanny – cheers. Like I said, I’ve watched people ride it for years so know where the lines are on the steep techy bits. Once you’ve got those dialled it’s ‘relatively’ straight forward.
    and yes, we’ve done Ladyside Pike once or twice, but there’s better stuff in the area so it doesn’t get ridden too much

Sanny
    Free Member

Thread resurrection time.

Yesterday in the glorious sunshine was a return to Skiddaw. I decided to do all nine Wainwright tops and was suitably rewarded for my efforts. Latrigg before nine in the morning with barely a soul about and with Skylark’s singing is a great way to start the day. The climb up Skiddaw was as steep and hard as usual but I managed to ride it all the way up to the singletrack that heads up the small valley to Lonscale Fell. Breaks were had though! The Lonscale singletrack looks like it would be nice to ride down if one headed off Skiddaw at the gate below Little Man.

Lonscale Fell is an out and back on grassy track although the views at the cliffs are worth the effort to reach. There is a track that heads south off the summit that looks worth exploring as a descent. Has anyone ridden it?

Little Man is a fairly easy and quick carry up and is a worthy detour off the main path.

Skiddaw top was unsurprisingly busy but everyone was in good spirits and very chatty.

Not having ridden it before, I headed off the back and rode down to Bakestall summit. It is a nice descent – a bit loose at the top to the lower levelling then a bit steeper down the fence line. I enjoyed it and reckon it would be an option for getting to Skiddaw House. Bakestall offers nice  views north and into the valleys. Of course, it is a bit of a schlep back up! I took the chance to scope out the singletrack that heads off the back of Skiddaw towards Criffel direction and have that marked in for another day.

The steep scree track down to Carl Side was as fantastic as I remember it – it is still steep and loose. At the bottom, I had a walker tell me I was amazing for having ridden it. To be fair, it looks scary steep from below so I was chuffed with the compliment. It is funny how different folk see things differently.

Longside Edge and Ullock Pike were their usual brilliant selves but I was pretty shocked by the erosion on Ullock Pike. It’s been a while since I rode it but multiple deep rutted channels have appeared. The stone slab used to take you onto a completely rideable path but now it is a jumbled mess of disappointment. It looks like folk have been creating lines because they couldn’t ride the slab then the rain and wind have done their worst. I was looking at pictures from a previous ride and it is sad to see just how much damage has been done. Part of me wonders if this is a consequence of far heavier use and the advent of e bikes?

The rest of the descent was thankfully still a delight. I rounded the ride off with an ascent off Dodd which was far more enjoyable than I was expecting. The descent down the bench cut trail through the trees reminded me of Switzerland.

Hitting Keswick before 5, I was not ready to call it a day so headed to Seatoller and did Castle Crag to the summit as an out and back. I forgot how much fun the slate switchbacks are!

Overall another great day which takes me neatly to 50 Wainwright summits in 5 trips.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

PS Has anyone ridden the descent off High Spy down past the climbing hut to the valley floor? It looks rather fun. I rode a section of it and enjoyed it. Looks like a good way to get up onto High Spy quickly too.

justinbieber

@sanny – sounds like a mega day out! Sadly you’re right – there are too many people and wannabe youtubers on ebikes getting to the top of Skiddaw, then missing every corner on the way down Ullock and making cheat lines everywhere. It’s a huge shame.

Not ridden the descent off High Spy past the hut – I’ve only gone down the steps through the mines if descending to the valley floor that way

Sanny
    Free Member

@justinbieber

I started a new thread on Ullock Pike erosion. Interesting to hear your experience. They aren’t even cheat lines – they are just a jumbled mess. I ended up just walking down the section as it does not need me to add to it. I was pretty taken aback. Pete Archer had said to me that it had changed and he wasn’t kidding.

The rest of the ride was a banger though. Did my best to leave no trace, gave way to walkers and had a nice chat with several of them to boot. That is one of the things I love about the Lakes – you always meet interesting folk out on the trails.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

A long overdue update from me.

Monday was another day of exploring for me. Started with Eagle Crag – a steep climb up with a couple of short scrambles. Not convinced it would be a great descent unless you like exposure to the point of deathy at the top. Smashing views though.

It is an easy and quick ride over to Sergeant Crag. From there, I followed a singletrack trail through the grass that despite expectations was really dry and easy going. It popped me out at the top of Greenside Edge which has had a lot of trail building happen over the last five years. I am really keen to go back and try it riding back down to both Grasmere and Buttermere.

The ride out and back to Ullscarf was a leisurely potter on mostly dry compressed grass. I doubled back and rode most of the ascent up onto High Raise. From there, with the ground so dry, it would make for a lovely high level route over towards the Langdale Pikes. In the interests of summit bagging, I did Thunacar Knott, Sergeant Man (looks like there is a very promising clear track off the top of it towards Grasmere that I need to investigate), Pavel Ark (stunning views), Harrison Stickle (again great views but I would head north off it next time as the first down is a bit too steep and rocky so needed a bit of carrying down) and Pike o Blisco (nice wee cheeky scramble up the back side of it that is a lot easier than it at first appears. I had no expectations about the trail to the top of Stake Pass but it was a real delight. Linking up from High Raise on a dry day like I had would be a real in the mountains treat!

From Stake, I rode much of the way up to Rossett Pike. There were tell tale tyre tracks so I reckon this gets ridden in the other direction fairly frequently.

Stopping at Angle Tarn, I met a couple who were visiting every high spot in every county in England, Wales and Scotland while cycling in between. Sounds like a bloody brilliant adventure. As it was sunny. I kept on going up onto Great End. This is not a hugely popular summit but it would make for a terrific descent all the way down to Styhead Tarn. Amazing views and I even had a couple of gliders soar past me for company.

The traverse to Scafell Pike is a bit of a pain over the boulder field but I was rewarded with being the only person at the top on a beautiful evening. The descent towards Wasdale is loose and a bit meh. It would be a total pain to do if there were lots of walkers. I cut off on to the Corridor Route and bagged Lingmell on the way down.

I have mixed emotions about the Corridor Route. There were three sections that I had to carry up, along or down while fix the fells have put in a load of stone pitching which means it is a bit awkwardly stop starty. I was hugely looking forward to it but came away disappointed. I think I need to go back and ride it fresh as it is a real trialsy trail. One for the fat bike I reckon. By the time I rode it, it was late in the day and I was wary of coming off and spannering  myself so walked a few bits I would normally ride without stopping to think.

So a properly big day out but on balance it was a very rewarding one. I reckon riding the plateau around Ullscarf and High Raise would make for a lovely day out with the option of heading down Greenside, Stake, Rosset Ghyll or even Styhead Tarn to get down.

In terms of route planning, hoping for some local knowledge now.

Glaramara – Has anyone ridden it from south to north down Thornythwaite Fell?

Great Gable – would I be better descending off it down Aaron Slack or the south east ridge to the Stretcher Box? Ridden the former and it was ok but not great.  Bit of a rock scree slide.

Also, has anyone ridden the trail down the eastern side of Glaramara to Blackmoss Pot? Classic or crap? Would I be better doing the Rossett Pike and Stake Pass descent instead?

@justinbieber

@fergal

@thegeneralist

Thoughts?

Cheers

Sanny

mark88

That’s some day Sanny, and a good few Wainrights ticked off! What was your total elavation for the day?

I’ve not heard of anyone riding Scafell before, is much rideable?

justinbieber

I’ve got the corridor route on my list too. Three sections to walk down doesn’t sound too bad – I’m going to keep it on my list 😀

Not ridden Glaramara heading north – that too is on my list. I’ve heard it’s good with some scrambly bits. Definitely worth trying at least once…

Never been up Great Gable either. That too is on my list (crikey, this is a long list).

However, I’ve never considered dropping from Glaramara to Blackmoss Pot. That isn’t on my list 🙂

TomB

Glaramara- apart from the rocky summit the route down thorneythwaite is a good ride from memory, a bit vague above raven crag becoming a fun, all rideable good path. Its many years since I rode it but often there on foot. Can’t comment on east side, can’t imagine it being much fun.

Gable- SE ridge is a steep pitched path, maybe ok if you like that sort of thing, not my bag, and agree aaron slack isn’t great either.

Great trip report- I wouldn’t go over to scafell pike from GE for fun with a bike, it’s bad enough on foot!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Started with Eagle Crag – a steep climb up with a couple of short scrambles. Not convinced it would be a great descent unless you like exposure to the point of deathy at the top. Smashing views though.

It is an easy and quick ride over to Sergeant Crag.

You’ve confused the absute bejesus out of me. Can I suggest you start your posts with a general clue such as ” I started in West end of Langdale, South end of Borrowdale os something to set the scene. 🙂

I have no clue where eagle crag is. Seargant crag makes me think Langstrath… ‘zat right.

Greenside Edge which has had a lot of trail building happen over the last five years. I am really keen to go back and try it riding back down to both Grasmere and Buttermere.

Greenside <>Greenup?…. must be Greenup..

I’m desperately trying to thing of a hill that has Grasmere on one side and Buttdale on the other

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Great Gable – would I be better descending off it down Aaron Slack or the south east ridge to the Stretcher Box?

Doooooh. I walked up from stretcher box with the family and made a strict point of assessing every step and the full route for rideability. But I can’t recall what the bloody conclusion was. Which leads me to think it must have been a ‘no’ . But I’m by no means sure, soz

I had no expectations about the trail to the top of Stake

Ooh. Interesting. I’m in langdale next week + fam and am thinking if dragging the wean and his shiny new bike up Stake south and them east towards Harrison Stickle and then descending a footpath from there to ODG. We were both scoping it out at Easter as we walked back down from a family scramble.
    Is Stake east to Harrison at all rideable?

From Stake, I rode much of the way up to Rossett Pike. There were tell tale tyre tracks so I reckon this gets ridden in the other direction fairly frequently.

Mmmm yes. I think this is much preferable way to do the infamous Borrowdale, Stake, Langdale, Rosset Gyll, Styhead STW route. It can get boggy but should be fine now.

. I kept on going up onto Great End. This is not a hugely popular summit but it would make for a terrific descent all the way down to Styhead Tarn.

Yes totally agree. When I did Bowfell and Esk Pike I decided that Great End to Borrowdale via Esk House, Styhead etc would be brilliant. Got it on my list to do next time I’m in borrowdale.

Sanny
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

@thegeneralist

Apologies. I started the climb up Eagle Crag at the end of Langstrath Valley where it joins up with the Stake Pass Valley.

Greenside should have said Greenup Edge. You head south up the western flank of Ullscarf to get to the saddle. Looks like there has been a lot of work done. I wrote it up for the mag pre lockdown so suggest you search out that issue. I did it as a loop with Stake Pass. It was a magic day out.

Stake East up from the saddle would be pretty rideable for much of the up at the start but then steepens and gets rockier near the top where you would be off and pushing for a while. Which route down ODG are you thinking? Really keen to hear how that goes as the main tourist path at the top will have carry downs. Sounds pretty full on to me so post pics!!!!!!!

@Mark88

I suspect given that the top of Scafell is really loose but rideable, heading down to Wasdale will no doubt be more of the same. Check out the link attached.

http://www.wainwrightroutes.co.uk/scafellpike_r1.htm

Lots of stone pitching further down but I reckon it would be worth a try on an evening once the masses have gone. I saw one person between Great End and the summit on Monday. I hit the summit about half seven so despite it being probably the busiest peak in England, you can do it when nobody is about and thus avoid any walkers getting upset. Would I give it a go? Absolutely. Planning a return trip to attempt it.

Oh and my route was over 7000 feet in 24 miles. Bit of a meaty day.

@TomB

That is great local knowledge re Glaramara which is now next on the list. Planning it as a circuit starting with Fleetwith Pike and Haystacks. That will be an eleven top ride.

@justinbieber

I’ll hold off recommending the Corridor Route until I have another go at it fresh and with a mate to get help if it all goes wrong! The scramble up in the middle with a bike is fine as long as you take little steps and are comfortable on steep terrain. It looks a little daunting but I felt pretty relaxed doing it.

So what else are folk planning in the Lakes?

Where else are you contemplating but have yet to explore?

Cheers

Sanny

PS Doing the Wainwright tops is proving to be a great way of linking up trails that I have always wondered whether they would go. It is encouraging me to explore places that I would not normally have done.

Sanny
    Free Member

PS Sergeant Man down to Easedale Tarn. Has anyone given this a bash? I know the bottom section really well but not the bit between the summit and the Tarn. Thoughts?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Which route down ODG are you thinking?

Screenshot_20230524-170854_OS Maps

Looks like it varies from 30% to 35%, which is a worry! (40% is generally my limit, though of course the ground conditions are just as important as the gradient)

But we both agreed it looked good. But then that’s easy to say when you don’t have a bike with you 😁

@sanny
    Shout if you could tolerate company for a midweek mission fir Glaramara or something.. I’ve got a couple of days each month I could use

Sanny
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

Will do! I will check it out first as I would not want to inflict one of my rides on you without knowing the trails first.

I have never considered that route down. I walked up the Mark Gate track before so am off to look at my pictures to see if it might be a winner.

Cheers

Sanny

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Glaramara – Has anyone ridden it from south to north down Thornythwaite Fell?

Great Gable – would I be better descending off it down Aaron Slack or the south east ridge to the Stretcher Box? Ridden the former and it was ok but not great. Bit of a rock scree slide.

Also, has anyone ridden the trail down the eastern side of Glaramara to Blackmoss Pot? Classic or crap? Would I be better doing the Rossett Pike and Stake Pass descent.

Great End to Galarama’s summit is very similar to Great End up to the summit of Scafell. We tend to carry up Galarama from Borrowdale, turn around and descend. The descent to Blackmoss isn’t great, but neither is Stake Pass on that side.

Great Gable: summit to the stretcher box/Styhead Tarn is okay, but Windy Gap and down Aaron’s Slack is much more fun. Also Gillercombe and down Sour Milk Gill is okay, but there’s a bit of carrying down near the end. Off Base Brown in the same direction is rubbish.

TomB

@Sanny

Here’s a vid from my mate Rich to give you a feel for Glaramara:

YouTube

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hmmmm
    Mr Gale not making that look a whole load of fun… not the first bit anyway.

justinbieber

Ha! That’s gone right to the top of my to do list! Looks brilliant, if *very* awkward. Reminds me of Red Pike to Gamlin End and down to Scarth Gap.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Reminds me of Red Pike to Gamlin End

Worse – you’d love it 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

@TomB and @parkedtiger

Have to admit that video has gotten me excited for Glaramara.

In other news, my daughter and I went up Lord’s Rake yesterday. What a smashing wee scramble. The track all all the way up to the loose scree beneath the head wall would make for a decent out and back. Despite the stone pitching on the main track up to it, it looks easier than Dollywagon Pike with an option of bearing off it round the steep ridge that descends from Lingmell. One for later in the day when the masses have gone.

As for Lord’s Rake, I would only take a bike up if I could rig it such that it is attached hands free to my bag. I’d probably take the wheels off to place on top. It would be a liability otherwise on the first gully ascent. I would not recommend it unless you have done it before and know exactly what to expect.

The top of Scafell as a descent down to the head of Lord’s Rake is a loose and jumbly mess which would be a bit tedious unless you enjoy your wheels sketching out on sliding rocks and stones.

However, it gets considerably better as you get closer to Rakehead Crag where it becomes more grassy and less rocky. On balance, I could endure the top section for the bottom section from about the 750m point down. As we walked it, I kept wishing I had the bike with me. The OS map does not show a track but there definitely is one on the ground that brings you out almost due eat of Wasdale Head Farm.

Interested to know if anyone has headed south off Scafell to Slight side and down?

Also, has anyone headed off the ridge from Linhgmell down into Wasdale? It looks steep but promising.

Cheers

Sanny

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Quick notes on Kentmere Pike as I’d been meaning to try it for ages as an alternative start to Nan Beild.

Did it this week with the missus and kid.

As you’d expect, the route over Green  Quarter was driza bone.

Bit of scrambly HaB up Wray Crag

PXL_20230531_125244011-1

Kinda bitty from then on. Rideable bits then more steepish rock.  Was insanely dry

PXL_20230531_141910715

As previous posters have said, wouldn’t be fun in the wet.

Over the top to Harter Fell

PXL_20230531_144701452

Then the descent to Nan Beild itself. @Mark88 will be pleased to hear that I didn’t make as much of a meal of this as last time. I think not doing Garburn and Gatesgarth beforehand left me a lot fresher.

It’s just amazing.

IMG_0019

Despite the very worried looks on the faces of some ramblers.  ( and the kid’s mum)

PXL_20230531_151114986

IMG_0015

Then the standard descent down Nan Beild was a whole load of fun

PXL_20230531_152059591

PXL_20230531_152421425

Great day out. Biddova intro to HaB for the family, and a chance for the kid to try something properly tricky….

But, TBH I wouldn’t bother repeating it. The route up the other spur ( Yoke, Ill Bell etc) is much less HaB, more rideable and with better descents on the ridge. Fair enough the descent from Harter Fell is much better than the one from the High Street side, but then just access Harter from the top of Gatesgarth …

Anyone got any plans for the weekend? I’m sort of planning a slog round the Peak District but TBH my heart isn’t really in it….

Sanny
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

Outstanding update!

So another one from me. Yesterday was a nine summit ride and it was a proper day out. I started with Fleetwith Pike. Carried up the footpath instead of riding the access track as it was roasting and I was wanting to keep lots in the tank for a big day out. From the quarry, you can ride almost all of the up and the views from the top are simply stunning. Combined with the 4 Passes descent from Dubs, it would be bloody amazing. What a way to start a day out.

From there, I took the footpath round the northern flank of Grey Knotts before following a tiny singletrack grass path to the summit. It was an easy mooch over onto Brandreth. Again, dry with lovely views as expected. I reckon the footpath from Brandreth back to Fleetwith would be a mostly rideable and very enjoyable path to ride down, save for a couple of small broken rock sections.

A short carry onto Green Gable followed and just before the top, I cut north east onto Base Brown. The descent off the top was more technical than I had expected but there were some lovely grass path bypasses on the really awkward stuff. It would be great to follow the track down from the saddle into Gillercomb. Has anyone ridden this?

Back up onto Green Gable retracing my steps was fine. At the top, I met a woman from Denmark who is a pro endurance runner. She was telling me about a 230km self sufficient race she did in Swedish Lapland in February. Talk about hardcore! The descent from Green gable to the saddle was loose but all went.

Great Gable was the big unknown for me. The climb up has a short section of scrambling which was not too steep. It looked harder than it actually was. At the summit, the views are stunning. There were a few folk milling about who seemed surprised and concerned by me being there with a bike. There is nothing quite like people telling you to be safe on an unknown descent that plays with your head. Breaking out the knee pads, I headed down the main track up from the Stretcher Box. The first section is loose but goes quite comfortably. There then follows an awkward section of loose rocks and boulders which I had to carry down. I did have a moment of “what have I done?” However, just as it loses a bit of gradient, the track improves greatly and is replaced with stone pitching. I am normally not a huge fan but from a riding perspective, it was bloody fab. I passed a few of the walkers I saw earlier. One started filming me as I picked my way down a particularly steep section. I of course fell duty bound to ride it. Think Dollywagon Pike but steeper and without the horrendous water bars. A couple of short sections I walked down simply because I was on my own and tend to be a bit more cautious on bigger days out.

By the time I got to the Stretcher Box, I was buzzing. Definitely a technical one to return to! Nipping down to Styhead Tarn, I replenished my water in a stream then kept going. It felt odd going up to Sprinkling Tran instead of down but needs must. At the Tarn, I broke north on a Singletrack to Seathwaite Fell. I had low expectations but the ride across and back was bone dry and the trail was lovely to follow. The views were tremendous. Nice to be surprised.

Allen Crags and Glaramara were calling me though so press on I did. It is a super fast carry up onto Allen Crags while the up and down traverse to Glaramara is a mix of carrying interspersed with short sections of riding. It is not a classic ride between the tops but in the evening sun, I got in to a nice rhythm of ride, carry, repeat.

Glaramara affords commanding views in all directions. It is a proper peak. Now at this point I had planned to head over and do Rosthwaite Fell but it looked a great distance away with no clear path visible. A walker I met on Seathwaite Fell said there was a grassy singletrack beneath the eastern crags of Glaramara over to it that would be rideable but it was getting late so instead I headed down a bastard of a short but steep scramble (next time I will head round the western flank of the mountain) that had me questioning my route choice. However, joining up with the footpath that goes over Thorneythwaite Fell, I had one of those great way to end the day feelings. The path is rocky and loose in places with two sections that you have to carry down. However, they are mercifully short so as a descent, I would give it two thumbs up. It is by no means easy but even with 12 hours in my legs, I very much enjoyed it.

Overall, a great day exploring – Great Gable, Green Gable down via Gillercomb and Glaramara descents are all on the list for repeat visits as is Fleetwith Pike. The latter is just bloody brilliant – pure and simple and can be ridden both up and down.

So

@justinbieber

@parkedtiger

@TomB

@mark88

@fergal

@hb70

Interested to know if you have done any of what I did yesterday as always good to hear your opinions.

What else did I learn yesterday? Scafell Pike is a magnet for the unprepared for sure. One lovely couple I met had gone up Great and Green Gable as a way of getting to Scafell Pike. They wisely headed back down off Great Gable and knocked the Pike on the head. There was also a group of guys in Borrowdale who were going to go up via the Pig Track. Wrong mountain, wrong country! Also came across a nice bunch of lads from London who I directed towards the Corridor Route. I met a couple of their mates later at the top of Grains Gill. One lad looked absolutely knackered while his pal tried to persuade him to keep going. I could only advise but suggested that if he was not enjoying it, the walk back down Grains Gill was his best bail out option. His mate decided to press on and I think he was glad that I turned up when I did.

It is a curious thing how folk get obsessed with getting to the top of a mountain even when the smart move might be to leave it for another day and simply enjoy being out in the mountains without necessarily getting to the top. Also fascinating to see how unprepared some folk are. Better lucky than clever though I say. It is great to see folk out on the mountains but also easy to appreciate how folk get into difficulty quickly too.

So what adventures has everyone else been on then?

Cheers

Sanny

parkedtiger
    Free Member

A short carry onto Green Gable followed and just before the top, I cut north east onto Base Brown. The descent off the top was more technical than I had expected but there were some lovely grass path bypasses on the really awkward stuff. It would be great to follow the track down from the saddle into Gillercomb. Has anyone ridden this?

Yep. It’s a bit of an awkward rock garden but worth doing once. There’s some carrying down Sour Milk Gill, or if you track north a bit (instead of crossing the wall above the waterfall), there used to be a route through the slag heaps around Borrowdale Yews. There’s also a path off the front of Base Brown down to Seathwaite farm but it’s not much to write home about. Windy Gap and down Aaron Slack is arguably the most fun descent in that area.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

There was also a group of guys in Borrowdale who were going to go up via the Pig Track.

😁😆😅

It is great to see folk out on the mountains but also easy to appreciate how folk get into difficulty quickly too.

Yep. I was coming down Glenderaterra Beck one evening after a Bash and met a man and his son bravely manhandling some BSOs along the path. Initially I thought I should leave then to it as they had gone so far, but then as I rounded the next bend I realised I had finished the trickybit. Which meant they had just started it. So I set off back and caught them up and gently suggested they should turn back. They were very nice and receptive and obviously hugely relieved. Quite clearly terrified and yet not wanting to make the obvious decision to turn back. Anywhere else would be fine but it’s surely possible to die on that terrace path.

So what adventures has everyone else been on then?

After a series of fabulous rides in the ‘gorms and lakes this year I felt the urge to atone for my sins and suffer a bit lot in the Peak. On the plus side, it appears my recovery is going well so I’m thinking that a lakes epic epic is definitely on the cards
    Screenshot_20230604-165814_Strava
    I mean…. who TF sets off on a cycle ride on a June morning and needs lights!

Sanny
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

So what Lakes epic are you planning then?

My Scafell Pike ride two weeks ago ended at dusk so lights were required for the last bit of road back. Ha! Ha!

Cheers

Sanny

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Not sure really. I’m torn …

I’ve tried to focus on shorter, sustainable rides the last couple of years. Stuff that’s enjoyable rather than just challenging distance wise. And also trying to do the tech bit rather than arriving at the tech exhausted, alone and nervous… and walking big chunks.
    Also my son has just got a new bike and is keen so I’d like to do more tech with him. He’s a lazy shite though so I have to plan it carefully.
    On that front I’d like to do Grisedale down from the tarn, and maybe Sticks over to Seldom Seen. Also want to trog up GP from Whinlatter and have a more focussed attempt at the top bit.

I was amazed how doable the bit down Harter Fell to Nan Beild was this week. Want to revisit some previous similar bits and try again. Eg OMC

On the other hand, I’ve still got some silly urge to do Helvellyn in a day. No idea if it’s possible, but maybe…

4 passes needs to be done again, defo.

Also want to try Ben Lomond double… but it’s a helluva drive.

Defo want to do Great End.

Would be nice to find some gnarr that’s accessible without too much HaB. Something I can spin up with the boy. That was part of the appeal with GP, that you can get quite high on the Altura South loop.

I’ve realised I’m waffling. Again… short answer is

Loads of stuff.

Sanny
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

What is your plan for Helvellyn? What route are you thinking? It is not as long a ride as you might think. Multiple routes up. From the Coach Road to the north is the most gentle but also the longest distance wise. It can be boggy so right now would be the perfect time to do it.

The carry up from Thirlmere is pretty much all hike a bike. Sticks west is a steep carry up then slackens off to ride up to the saddle.

Keppel Cove goes from bottom to the levelling off but you will want low gears! It is probably the most rideable option but it is super steep in places. there is a reason I run a 20 32 double on my mountain bikes!

I am a convert to heading up onto Birkhouse Moor then riding the lovely lower plateau to Red Tarn and up onto the saddle between Catseye Cam and Swirral Edge. I did it as an out and back via the Red Tarn Beck footpath in February and it was mega. Swirral edge is a scramble which I felt comfortable on but it is steep and needs hand placement at times. I would say check out images online then decide.

Sticks Pass might be a nice way of going up too. Ride to the base of it, push up the steep bit then ride again. Also gives you the option of Seldom Seen.

Re the Ben Lomond double. Are you thinking the tourist path and Ptarmigan Ridge? The top section of the latter is a walk down. There will definitely be sections you walk down. I have ridden it before and loved it but it may be an acquired taste for some. The tourist path is simply great and a super introduction to Munros riding. My preference is to carry up Ptarmigan and go down the main path. That way you can decide if the former is for you as a descent. It gives the best views by a country mile compared to the tourist path.

Getting back to the mountains – it’s been a while.

The link above is what you need!

Cheers

Sanny

stevedoc
    Free Member

Just a quick reminder that the a591 at Hartsop is now closed for 4 weeks so Glenridding is only do able from Penrith.

Ben Lomound is a good out and a lot is rideable, just go on a clear day and not in rainy March 🙁 dam the mountain forecast!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

What is your plan for Helvellyn?

I can’t work it out TBH, there seems to be an odd number of Bridleways on the west side ( unless you count both the WhiteSide ones..

<Edit: realised we are talking at slightly cross purposes >

What route are you thinking? It is not as long a ride as you might think. Multiple routes up.

Mmmm, indeed multiple routes. That’s sort of what I’m after. I’ve done most of them individually, and sometimes a few in a day, but I’m wondering if it’s possible to do them all in a day

So far the route seems to be:
    Up Dodds from Matterdale Common. As you say, it needs to be frozen or driza bone.
    Down Sticks East.
    Up Keppel
    Down Sticks West
    Up Whiteside
    Down Birkside
    Then it gets problematic as you need to get back up again to descend Dollywaggon/ Grisedale. Guess trog up Raise Beck & Dollywaggon then turn round and down Grisedale.
    OSApp suggests 3200hm 55km. But even then it doesn’t strictly do all the rideable bridleways. That boggy horror down to the Coach Road remains undone. So it’s not quite the perfect challenge.

But, as above, I’m trying to focus less on sufferfests and just enjoy the riding, so hopefully I’ll not do it. But if the sickness comes again then it’s always there as an option.

The tourist path is simply great and a super introduction to Munros riding

Agreed. I was looking at my photos the other day, thirty years ago this month!
    Didn’t even have helmets on…

Yep, wanted to try Ptarmigan ridge as well. Used to walk up it loads with my parents and it would be nice to go back

justinbieber

@thegeneralist – last year (or maybe the year before, my memory gets hazy), a few of us did Helvellyn four times in a day. Started from the bottom of Sticks Pass (West), up to Raise then Helvellyn, Dollywagon and Grisedale Beck down. Up to Red Tarn and Swirral Edge, then down to Raise and Sticks Pass (East) and Glenridding (again). Then up Keppel Cove to the summit and down Birkside, before climbing back up Swirls to the summit for the last time and down past Raise and finishing on Sticks Pass (west). Not going to lie – it’s a big day, but start early, pace yourself and it’s all good. Multiple refuels in Glenridding helped.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

That does indeed sound epic. Did you find yourself fading on the tech towards the end, or are you able to keep up a level?

mark88

Top work @thegeneralist. I’ve not been back since, but should do. I’m itching to do Yoke, Ill Bell whilst it’s dry. And also the techy side of Nan Bield. Perhaps as a figure of 8, coming back up Gatesgarth and over Harter Fell.

Inspiring stuff @sanny. I get a bit overwhelmed with indecision and trying to find ‘perfect’ routes in the Lakes, but I think I need to take a leaf out of your book and just get out for some big days and accept that some bits go, others won’t.

March and April I had lots of family and friends visiting so I was restricted to playing hiking guide, and I’ve done a few races recently so I’ve not had time for any proper Lakes riding this year. A couple of busy weeks of work ahead but then hopefully I’ll be able to make up for lost time late June / early July and get some big days done.

justinbieber

@thegeneralist – I was generally ok. Found the climbs the hardest, and we all seemed to find an extra gear for the descents. Getting the most physical (Dollywagon and Grisedale beck) out of the way first definitely helped. I love Birkside so putting this one third was fun and other than the steps it’s not too techy. We chilled for a long time in a stream after that one though

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 276 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.