• This topic has 275 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by lowey.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 276 total)
  • Riding the Wainwrights
  • fergal
    Free Member

@sanny i posted about Blease fell higher up, its a fantastic blast that and Scale fell into the combe are popular for a reason, as i said very Alpine Blue lots of singletrack.

personaly i wouldn’t bother carrying down to Blaeberry tarn for the million steps, but then what do i know people seem to like carrying their bikes. knock yourself out.

PS. if you read the thread above High Snockrigg to Buttermere is really good. seems to be a bit of an echo chamber on here!

TomB

Bannerdale- the track down the tongue that runs down it’s south side is fast and not technical. There is a possibly fun route off bannerdale crags east ridge (marked disused mine workings on OS map) that may go, but maybe too tricky, worth a walk up to have a look, quick hike a bike to gain altitude that way and could always head to the tongue or down the glenderamackin to mousethwaite Combe instead.

TomB

Hindscarth- the climb up Robinson from Newlands is tough in places, tricky short scramble sections to take care while shouldering the bike. Hindscarth is brilliant but lower down has 2 or 3 little craglets that for me are unridable. I’d probably recommend going there via dale head summit, a better route across to Hindscarth. I don’t think Robinson adds much.

Sanny
    Free Member

@fergal

Thanks for that. Missed your previous post somehow. Sorry! Now added to the list for my next ride down there.

@TomB

Will check those out. Cheers for the tips!

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

@TomB

It must have been 1997 when I rode Hindscarth the first time round. It is but a faint but lovely memory of an amazing day out. I do remember a couple of carry downs.

Have you headed north east off of Robinson? That looks promising too.

Cheers

Sanny

fergal
    Free Member

@TomB do you mean Bowscale East Ridge did this a month ago and can confirm it is delightful, again i posted this up thread bit of a theme, there is quite an entertaining vertical chute at the end beware!

TomB

North east off Robinson takes you down a 3 small scramble crags (not rideable) and loses most of its height on grass whichever way you go. Wouldn’t recommend.

Fergal the East ridge of Bowscale fell isn’t what I meant, but I’ll have a look at that next time….I’m talking about the east ridge leading directly to Bannerdale Crags summit. No path on the map.

fergal
    Free Member

Oh that East ridge did a little googling on walking sites awhile back, didn’t look feasible.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

C’mon @justinbieber I’m dying to hear what you thought of OMC…

Especially the top bit. Tell us.

justinbieber

Ha ha, it was good. Chuffing cold, but good. More of it went than I remember – the biggest issue we had was frozen fingers and not being able to feel whether we were actually pulling the brake levers. One or two nearly impossible bits, but I’ll happily go back in the summer and try again

thegeneralist
    Free Member

the biggest issue we had

Oh, well in that case, photos…

Sanny
    Free Member

Soooo yesterday was the 5 Wainwrights around Blencathra. There was plenty of hoar frost and several days of sub zero temps made for perfect condition. I ended up coming up the back edge of the mountain and was treated to an incredible inversion. The descent down Blease Fell was really rather lovely. Nice flowy switchbacks. Not technical but worth doing.

There was still light in the sky so headed up to Latrigg. Proper freezing cloud but I persevered and got treated to another inversion. Opted to try Lonscale Fell for something different. Up the main Skiddaw Path then followed the fence line to the summit. An easy tick best done as a bigger Skiddaw day just to look over the crags beneath. Rode down in the dark. Was very glad of my ice tyres on the road descent as the ice claimed at least two cars yesterday.

Today was a banger. One of my rides of the year. Headed up Sticks Pass from St John’s in the Vale. Nice steep carry up tech terrain then nice singletrack to ride up when it levels off. This would make for a really nice descent and all of it looked like it would go while still being a lot of fun. From there, I headed up onto Raise which was winter wonderland white before knocking out all the peaks on the shoulder to the north. Under tyre conditions were simply perfect as I took my time and enjoyed the views and the riding. It is not technical riding but as a day out, it is bloody lovely. I suspect it would be horrible in the wet and doing it north to south would be tediously dull. However, today it was bang on. Definitely one for when it is frozen and blue skies. The climbs were entirely rideable other than the steep section at the top of Raise. Gorgeous sunset and an orange moon rounded things off perfectly.

Re Bannerdale EastRidge descent. Had a look and remain to be convinced. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Cheers

Sanny

justinbieber

Sticks West is a funny one. Really mellow at the top, then there are a couple of really quite technical sections just past the sheep fold on the left. Then you seem to be on the brakes for most of the rest of the descent and losing altitude really quickly.

As for Bannerdale East Ridge, my interest is now piqued. Will have to head that way once things warm up and take a look

Sanny
    Free Member

Was anyone of this parish on the fells north of Helvellyn over the last few days? I noticed a couple of tyre tracks and wondered who it might have been?

Cheers

Sanny

PS Sticks west looks like it would be a hoot. Sometimes you just need steep and tech to blow your height away…..

stevedoc
    Free Member

I was on Helvellyn Sunday at sunrise, up via Kepple where I dare say most the tracks were made by Meg White and the Nukeproof crew . Most of it is just a light dusting maybe 2-3 cms from the Raise up Whiteside and the top was solid. Whiteside was mostly flat due to the coverage.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Don’t think there is much to be gained by doing the Horseshoe on Fairfield, certainly scenic on a nice day, but didn’t take you as a rambler with a bicycle as an accessory. A lot of pushing/carrying to the top of Fairfield on that round.

The fairfield horseshoe is a cracker! I think I prefer it clockwise, but both ways are good

would love to hear his opinion, my ratio of riding to carrying is obviously greater than yours, it’s a great walk though and a bit of a slog* imho.

Having ridden the Fairfield horseshoe today, I’m going to say it once and for all. Anti clockwise is better than clockwise. There, I’ve said it. The climb up the western ridge is nicer, but the descent is also better. Too stop/starty in the middle over on the eastern ridge.

<edit: just putting that in bold as he’s said it perfectly>

So, finally got round to trying the anti clockwise Horseshoe last weekend. Had a bloody excellent day. Key thoughts:

IMHO the east ridge is a great ascent ( as proper mountain ascents go) it’s a perfect blend of rideable shallow gradient uphills mixed with shortish sharp sections of HaB. In my mind that’s the best combo. I find constant HaB tedious and dislike just-too-steep-to-ride-after-the-first-10second-effort hills.
    Caveat, there are lots of bogs. Go when it’s frozen solid or dry as a bone.
    PXL_20221209_150321847.MP
    The other advantage of anticlockwise is that almost all the west ridge is rideable down, but the east ridge has loads of yukky looking boulder fields, which it’s nicer to carry up than walk down.

Also, the minor uphills on the west ridge descent are all rideable really good

We did the Alcock Tarn (south) descent this time rather than Nab Scar. Nab Scar is mindblowingly good, and IMHO very hard ( for a punter like me) whereas Alcock is much easier. Defo a good choice on a freezing day after one OTB.

I’ve realised I’m waffling, but basically:

The West ridge descent is brilliant. If its dry or frozen then ride up the east ridge.
    If you like gnadge then do Nab Scar. If you want mellower then do Alcock Tarn finish

Sanny
    Free Member

@TomB

Just looking at my pics from Sunday and the east ridge. There is a very definite and clear singletrack path down the mine workings ridge looking east from near the high point. Then I found this link……..

http://www.wainwrightroutes.co.uk/bannerdalecrags_r1.htm

I reckon you could bypass the scramble at the top and definitely ride all of the grass track down. Looks like I am going to have to go back there!!!!!!!!

@thegeneralist

Good work sir! You have seen the Fairfield light! Ha! Ha!

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

In other news, has anyone ridden down from Catseye Cam via Red Tarn below Swirral Edge? Any good?

Also wondering if the tracks going north east via Birkhouse Moor are worth a visit?

Also, can you carry down the first section of Hart Crag to do Hartsop above How?

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Clough Head

I saw this track yesterday but was not sure if it would go. Looks like it would. Anyone on here tried it?

Cheers

Sanny

justinbieber

@sanny – Never done Catseye Cam, but it looks like it’d be good. Only downer would be that you’d be going up and down the same way.

Pretty sure I’ve climbed up to Birkhouse Moor on that track, but again I’ve not ridden down it. Always carried on to Helvellyn or gone through the Hole in the wall.

Hartsop above How is a bit stop/starty for me. I mean, you can do it, and I’ve tried it once, but there’s better stuff to go at.

Lastly, Clough Head is ace, especially the bit as you drop over the shoulder and turn north east down the off camber scree.

Sanny
    Free Member

http://www.wainwrightroutes.co.uk

I’ve already linked to this previously but having had a good look at the site, I reckon this could be a tremendous resource for ride planning……

Sanny
    Free Member

Any love for Whiteside? It looks like it could be a fun way to lose height fast!

justinbieber

Yup. The full ridge from Hopegill Head is ace. Turn north for an easier route down, head south off the end for steep, not all rideable comedy sketchiness. One for a dry day. I’ve got some footage of me and a friend trying to ride it that I need to edit into something shareable

Sanny
    Free Member

@justinbieber

That is great! I was looking at the ascent ups from Gasgale Gill and thinking that it might make for a fantastic descent. Would love to see that video.

justinbieber

@sanny – your wish, my command etc etc: https://youtu.be/5gCHNgLw_Yk

It’s a bit rough and ready, but you get the general idea. Whiteside nonsense starts at 4 mins. If you can wait, it’ll be in HD in about an hour

Sanny
    Free Member

Ooooooooooooh! I like that…..a lot!

justinbieber

Yeah, me too. I want to go back and try it again on a bike with better tyres. This was riding it blind so had no idea what was coming!

Sanny
    Free Member

Just watched that again – where is the really like button? I was planning to re-ride Whiteless Pike and Grizedale Pike in a nice loop over Christmas if the weather is nice but now I am looking at Whiteside and wanting to do that too!!!!!!! Looks like my plan to tackle all the Wainwrights is going to involve multiple repeat visits to do different descents……..which is no bad thing really!

Cheers

Sanny

johnx2
    Free Member

Yup. The full ridge from Hopegill Head is ace.

Yep. I’ve done it as an out and back from Hopefully Head (to add to a ride/ shameless peak bagging) and whilst it’s sketchy in places I’d certainly not attempt to ride, enough goes to make it well worth it.

Sanny
    Free Member

So a corker yesterday doing the Coledale Horseshoe – lots of carrying but lots of fun too.

Barrow down to sheepfold – very nice and flowy.

Outerside to High Moss – easy but short.

Causey Pike ridge – nice with some pushing due to the snow.

Scar Crags climb to Sail- spun out on one steep section so had to push up to the next switchback. Nice climb though.

Crag Hill towards Grassmoor was a snowy riot. Tough push up Grassmoor in the snow. The upper section would be rideable from the cairn to the shelters without deep snow. We descended down to Coledale Hause following the path on the edge of the crags. It was like skiing!  I bet it would be ace when clear too. The descent round Hobcarton Crag felt a bit necky but was fun. Hobcarton End is a lovely flowing descent to finish – mellow chillness with a little bit of tech towards the trees.

All in all a great day. No wind, bluebird skies – pretty much perfect.

For info, I reckon the path north east off Barrow would be a really fun blast down to the bridleway.

Has anyone ridden north west off of Hopegill Head?

Cheers

Sanny

thegeneralist
    Free Member

For info, I reckon the path north east off Barrow would be a really fun blast down to the bridleway.

How weird. I did that very ride on Wednesday just gone. It is indeed lovely. I had assumed it was the standard Barrow route, is that not the case?

I did a there and back up to the col of Rigg Beck, then up Stonycroft Gill to the sheepfold ( brilliant climb), Stile End, Barrow, Whinlatter south loop, then back up the fire road to descend down Sleet Howe and Kinn.

I’m simply gobsmacked by the amount of amazing riding in that area.

Sanny
    Free Member

Has anyone done the stuff around Whinlatter like Lord’s Seat and Barf? I am wondering whether on a nice and dry summer day whether they would make for a nice bumble in the fells where it is not so much about the descents but simply being out and about to take in the scenery?

Cheers

Sanny

justinbieber

@thegeneralist – agreed. Probably the best area for big mountain riding in England

lowey

@sanny – your wish, my command etc etc: https://youtu.be/5gCHNgLw_Yk

It’s a bit rough and ready, but you get the general idea. Whiteside nonsense starts at 4 mins. If you can wait, it’ll be in HD in about an hour

Amazing riding. Just watching that triggered my vertigo. Having carried up that path I know what its like. Massive respect.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

So a corker yesterday doing the Coledale Horseshoe – lots of carrying but lots of fun too.

Barrow down to sheepfold – very nice and flowy.

Outerside to High Moss – easy but short.

Causey Pike ridge – nice with some pushing due to the snow.

Scar Crags climb to Sail- spun out on one steep section so had to push up to the next switchback. Nice climb though.

Crag Hill towards Grassmoor was a …..fun. Hobcarton End is a lovely flowing descent to finish

@sanny
    . I think I’ve traced the route on the map but any chance of a strave screenshot or something just to be sure?

Or indeed any other recommendations of other good bits on dat masssseeeff

( done GP, Whiteless, Barrow, Rigg Beck east side)
    Quite fancy Ard Crags too, so any suggestions on direction are welcome.

Doing the Bash on Sunday and planning to stay over afterwards and do this on Monday. If anyone fancies it then let me know.
    ( Unless the temperature drops, in which case I’m going ice climbing 😀🥶)

Sanny
    Free Member

@thegeneralist

My route was pretty heavy on the carrying so let me come up with a variation that is more rideable on the up and I will post it on here later?

A lot of the snow will have gone judging by the webcams.

cheers

Sanny

stevedoc
    Free Member

My guess is Rigg beck is boggy atm ? Is there much white stuff left on Sail and Crag head? Saturday is calling

Sanny
    Free Member

@stevedoc

You will need a local to advise but the snow has pretty much vanished from Skiddaw so there will be an awful lot less than there was last Friday sadly.

@thegeneralist

I reckon a good route would be to ride on the bridleway via Braithwaite Lodge to stoneycroft then ride up the track that follows Stoneycroft Gill to sheepfold. You can do Barrow and Outerside as out and backs or take the track off the High Moss track to carry up to Causey Pike. It cuts out Scar Crags as an out and back. Head west along Scar Crags and drop down to the saddle.

The zig zags up to sail are steep but rideable. I only slipped out on one section because of the snow but with less snow, it should go.

It is a carry from Sail to Crag Hill and is steep and rocky so you need to be confident on such ground. There is an easy path down the track beneath Grassmoor.

Steep initial carry up to the cairn then I reckon the traverse to Grassmoor would go. We followed what would have been the track north east down to join the main track down to Coledale Hause.

Options here are to carry up sand Hill via Hopegill Head and ride around the edge of Hobcarton Crag (dinnae fall left – very deathy!) or just head straight for Grizedale Pike. Descent can be either Hobcarton End (will be a bit mucky in the trees) or go tech down Sleet How. The top section is steep and rocky and can be windy so you may walk down some of it but it soon becomes mellow flowiness.

How does this sound?

Sanny
    Free Member

Or just do Whiteless Pike then up Newlands Pass and go over Knott Rig and Ard Crags to drop onto Rigg Beck. Done that on a moist February Day but carried up the steep north east ridge of Causey Pike (one for the Alpinists – not an easy carry)

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Oh and the descent northwest to Rannerdale is a nice extension for the latter route.

Cheers

Sanny

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 276 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.