Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Repairing Shimano AM9 sole – grooved by mallet pins
  • mudfish

Hi there
    Any clever ideas for a glue to repair soles grooved by Crank Bro’s Mallet corner pins please?
    Once dipped the shoe rotates “floats” a little on the cleat and of course more strongly when clipping out – this wears parts of the show based on a circular groove, see pic.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/188902400@N03/50226274327/in/datetaken/
    raising the pins makes it hard to impossible to clip in and once the cleats are engaged the shoe swivels easily on the cleat, so doesn’t feel like its on a larger pedal any more.
    There must be a suitable glue to fill those slots? I would try shoe goo brand but I feel its likely not hard wearing enough.

BearBack
    Free Member

Holt melt rubber? Or have your cobbler glue new sole rubber in place?

Sugru not shoegoo?

mudfish

Thanks.
    It’s localised so no whole sole repair is needed. As it’s a clip shoe I think it would be hard for them to deal with it. Clear height relative to sole level is critical.
    Sugru isn’t tough enough, I fear. And may not stick. It’s very good at what it’s good at though.
    I’ve seen recommendations for CT1 builders sealant and for Stormsure glue, both on YouTube.
    The Stormsure looks like it dries very hard as the guy was sanding it, so likely not ideal.
    But the CT1 is a maybe.
    Anyone experienced CT1? Is it rubbery?
    Thx

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Can’t see picture I’m afraid and link is dead.

Cheers!
    I.

dc1988

I have today I don’t think skate style shoes play very nicely with Mallet pedals. I much prefer Enduro style shoes.

I have some 5.10 Impact VXi’s and they just interfere with the pins unless you wind them fully in, which seems to miss the point of having pins. Any Enduro or hybrid shoes I’ve tried work with the pins wound out and feel much nicer.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Stormsure is pretty tough.

oreetmon
    Free Member

I’ve used CT1 at work and never thought about using it for shoe repair. Reckon it would be worth trying as it can be used on wet surfaces and is quite a bit more ‘hard wearing’ than normal silicone.

mudfish

thanks everyone
    The AM9 shoe was apparently designed with consultancy by the Athertons specifically to use with the Mallet DH – they work great, but when the grooves wear in they float a bit too freely –
    and the soles grip pretty well even when not clipped in, so give a level of safety

The extended cleat channel slot which runs back on the sole is designed to line up the cleat, it does work –
    A useful point with Crank Bros that some overlook is that you can place the foot on too far forward (cleat in instep) and get pedalling then slide it backwards ’til cleat engages. far bit safer than pushing forward on rough ground.
    that’s a tip from Chris Porter

sv, I’ve got the CB shoe shields fitted, its pin wear not cleat wear.

Shame the pic wasn’t visible – here’s a working link https://ibb.co/mHg2zh7

Troutwrestler, Stormsure – good to know I have some coming, if the CT1 fails I’ll try it, dries hard though? Not rubbery – I expect?

dc1988, I’m surprised you didn’t like the 510 / mallet setup because I’d have thought with treaded “enduro style” shoes the treads and pins wouldn’t play nicely? If there’s a specific shoe that works well with Mallet DH, I’d love to know about it for winter, the AM9 are useless to push up in when its muddy

thanks again everyone
    I am testing the CT1, the videos make it seem like totally ace stuff – we’ll see how it holds up, just awaiting the 24 hour dry time. Its massy to use, sticky – their specific solvent spray seems a good way to smooth it, ordered for next time

mudfish

IvanMTB,
    reposted the image link, its good now
    my error was using flickr as to view you have to log in
    the free imgbb should work much better
    https://ibb.co/mHg2zh7

neil

mudfish

here’s a pic
    managed to get it working at last
    AM9 sole - pin wear
    neil

mudfish

Update
    The CT1 went on. nicely (bit messy) and seemed to stick well (I cleaned the damaged areas well with the rubber solvent tyre fitters use).
    BUT first ride and the pins have ripped most of it out. For walking it probably would have been fine, but this is a pretty hard stressed application to be fair.
    Now I’m wondering about Stormsure as I saw a video of that repairing a heel.
    Or back to the old shoegoo

thanks for the tips
    Neil

mudfish

Currently trying ShoeGoo. It looks promising. Will report back in my other threat “CT1 sealant as shoe sole patch – how does it dry“ here https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ct1-sealant-as-shoe-sole-patch-how-does-it-dry-rubbery/
    Thanks for all the input. Neil

cynic-al
    Free Member

Have to say, I wouldn’t bee too concerned about that. I can’t see it causing issues.

dc1988

These are the shoes I have, hideous but with a decent treaded Vibram sole they are good for walking and I find they work much better than my 5.10’s.

Once they die I’m not sure what I will replace them with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Repairing Shimano AM9 sole – grooved by mallet pins’ is closed to new replies.