Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CT1 sealant as shoe sole patch – how does it dry? Rubbery?
  • mudfish

Hi all
    My Shimano AM7s have some grooves worn by Crank Bris Mallet DH pins. I’d like to fill them to bring the sole back up to its old level. They are only pretty narrow slots.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/188902400@N03/50226274327/in/album-72157715485669911/
    I wonder if the CT1 sealant, which I believe is marvellously sticky, once set, would have a consistency similar to to original rubbery sole.
    Builders?
    Thx

paton
    Free Member

about 7:20 in

jkomo

Shoe goo is what we used in the 80’s on our worn out skate shoes.

mudfish

Jkomo.
    Me too. Always liked shoo goo. I have sone but it’s firmed up a bit.
    I have used it on worm 510 soles and it’s not bad
    Not sure it’s sticky enough for this job. Did you see the pic?
    Thx

mudfish

Si
    That is you Si Paton?
    Thx. I did my due diligence and watched all the videos I could find. One you sent added to that as I spotted the stretchy rubbery shot. Good to know.

I am sure CT1 would stick but is it durable as a shoe sole standing up to those pedal pins?

The shoe guy shows it’s ability to stick for sure. Fingers crossed on durability then.

mudfish

I am testing the CT1, will report back, its messy sticky stuff, hard to get n ice and smooth but, hey, it’s a show sole! waiting 24 hours for it to set up

chakaping
    Free Member

Very interested in how this goes.

Fingers crossed.

mudfish

Thanks for the advice guys,
    I cleaned the sole with rubber cleaner (as used by tyre fitters).
    Pumped in the CT1 & it looked great, bit sticky to work with but got it smooth eventually.
    36 hours to set
    Sadly, though, a 2 hour ride and the pins have pretty much ripped it all out.
    It’s rubbery but not as hard wearing as the sole material plainly. I guess there may have also ben an adhesion issue but it did seem well stuck.

So its get it all out and try Shoe Goo, I guess.

I also discovered Stormsure glue but its hard to know if its at all rubbery once set (so the pins don’t just slide on it), its got superglue like properties apparently, so maybe not.

ah well

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I think stormsure will be pretty tough. IIRC you can mix sand into it to give extra grip for sole repairs.

It is worth a try.

mudfish

Trout wrestler. Thanks. I am trying ShoeGoo first as I had some. Will update.
    The Stormsure is superglue like isn’t seems to come in minuscule tubes.
    N

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CT1 sealant as shoe sole patch – how does it dry? Rubbery?’ is closed to new replies.