Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Repair to fork stanchion….
  • breninbeener

A friend has a pr of RS Boxxers on his DH bike. A conspicuous lack of maintenance has seen the left hand seal pick up some grit and abrade the golden anodising off the left hand leg. The leg that holds the spring.
    Is it possible to use something such as nail varnish to build this area back ip and prevent dirt ingress?
    Any other suggestions or is it new stanchion time?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Nail varnish or the fancy kit on the front page should be fine

orangespyderman

I was going to say the same, but if it’s “worn off” rather than actually having a scrape (can you feel ridges when you run your nail across it?) I think it will be harder to get right.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Most modern forks have cartridge dampers etc and scratches will not cause any problems. I have a set of marzocchis and a set of fox both scratched, never had any oil or air leak. Ignore and ride.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A scratch you can fill it with nail varnish to stop it damaging the seal, if it’s worn down the stanchion due to a lack of oil then it’s new stanchion time. Depending on age it’s probably cheaper to find a set on ebay in need of a damper or with some other damage and make one good pair form those.

lucky7500
    mashr

thisisnotaspoon

Subscriber

A scratch you can fill it with nail varnish to stop it damaging the seal, if it’s worn down the stanchion due to a lack of oil then it’s new stanchion time. Depending on age it’s probably cheaper to find a set on ebay in need of a damper or with some other damage and make one good pair form those.

Or just keep running it as the performance drop is likely to be non-existant. Admittedly it would help if the guy did the occasional lowers service by the sounds of it

SirHC

Chances are its knackered the bushings as well, new stanchion and bushing time.

Boxxer lower leg service was 10hours from memory (my 2010’s were atleast) and was shortened further if you went with the low friction seals which replaced the oil seal and fitted a foam ring instead.

breninbeener

I shall administer a firm shouting at, and open them up to see inside!

Thanks
    Ian

bruneep

https://www.rsfsus.co.uk/

can replace it if its that bad

breninbeener

Thanks for your help everyone

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Repair to fork stanchion….’ is closed to new replies.