Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • putting things up ona plasterboard wall in a rented house?
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

bad idea? It’s a whiteboard that I use a lot for studying. Mate has put the same board up and went ok but obviously need to drill the wall (he owns his house)

aside from deposit issues with the letting agent is it likely to leave a big mess/be a complete hassle?

cheers

wrightyson
    Free Member

On a stud wall or onto brickwork?? Choose correct fixing for the wall. Worse case scenario is when you take it down you’ll just have four holes to fill. Bit of polyfilla, quick sand and a flash of the paint brush should do it!

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Worst case scenario, you wreck the wall. When you move out, the landlord can charge you reasonable costs to repair it.

I would contact the landlord, and see if they care or are bothered.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Wreck the wall! How?? You have to be seriously useless to end up with that scenario, it’s four holes ffs!!

Stoner
    Free Member

if you use decent fixings then you wont make a mess, but you will need to fill the holes afterwards unless they are reused.

There’s loads of fancy fangled fixings out there, personally I like:

but Ive seen these (but with nylon expanding skirt) in my local merchants and they seem very tidy, but expensive:

fontmoss
    Free Member

doesn’t sound like brickwork sounds resonant so assumed it was plasterboard?

seahouse
    Free Member

Just watch for services, is there a socket outlet below the board position.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Screws with plugs and before you move out white toothpaste to cover the holes (15 years of experience here).

fontmoss
    Free Member

there’s a light switch about a metre right of where I want the board. maybe i should borrow a wee meter to check for cables

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Wreck the wall! How??

A previous tenant of mine tried to put up a corkboard in a plasterboard wall. After trying screws and a variety of rawlplugs and not really getting much joy, he then poked two screwdrivers through the wall, and through into the other side, and hung his corkboard off them…. until the weight of the corkboard pulled the screwdrivers out leaving two coaster size holes on his side and two 10 inch scars in his neighbours wall. You really needed to see it to believe it.

A lot of tenancy agreements specify no hanging of pictures, no blue tack, no wall fixings etc, due to the sheer incompetence of tenants.

If you can hang something without wrecking the walls, fine. but check with your Landlord first.

rOcKeTdOg

ask the landlord, if they say ok but you are liable for any damage then it’s your risk, do it without permission and it could be worse in the long run if the holes/board arn’t on your inventory

lipseal
    Free Member

Them hooks that use a sticky bud thing, saves making any holes.

fontmoss
    Free Member

well we’ve already put up pics….

mrsgrips
    Free Member

Depending how big…you could use 3M Picture hanging strips. No holes and very easy to use.

fontmoss
    Free Member

too big and heavy for that i’d think. Imagine more of a decent mirror in terms of size and weight-having said that ive out up a mirror that weighs more so maybe if i tie string or wire through the holes and mount it like a pic it might be better

speaker2animals

If you go to a chain DIY store usually there are guides as to what you need for different scenarios. You should be able to find the appropriate fittings quite easy. Google or Wikihow for a guide on to techniques and kit to use.

Have a look at this – http://www.wikihow.com/video/19945119/using-wall-anchors-p.2

fontmoss
    Free Member

cool cheers

maccruiskeen

If the walls are white (or reasonably freshly painted and the original paint is still about) then I’d use the the screw in plaster fixings

as unlike some of the wall anchor types – you can get them back out of the wall again without too much fuss.

Then fill and paint the wall when you leave.

If the walls are coloured, or not that freshly painted then making good again afterwards is a bit of a mare. Coloured paints tend to change their hue a bit over time, even if you’ve got the original tin- and paint over any repairs- that paint, even when dry is going to look different to the surrounding wall for quite a while. Usually only a few weeks, in my experience, but come deposit time your repair is going to be sticking out like a sore thumb.

If the paints old, and you’re planning to stay there for a while I’d actually arrange to repaint the wall/room before you put anything up, keep the left over paint and be able to easily make good when you leave.

richcc
    Free Member

I’ve used a metal version of the fittings above. Really good and would use them again

seahouse
    Free Member

[there’s a light switch about a metre right of where I want the board. maybe i should borrow a wee meter to check for cables]

Cables usually drop from above or come up directly below to avoid such problems but your better safe than sorry

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘putting things up ona plasterboard wall in a rented house?’ is closed to new replies.