Home Forums Chat Forum Pubs/Bars with a good selection of Belgian Beers – Sheffield?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pubs/Bars with a good selection of Belgian Beers – Sheffield?
  • cyclelife
    Free Member

An earlier post reminded me that I prefer a good strong Belgian Beer to the over hopped “craft beers” and piss water ales available in most establishments today – probably due to my age and inability to drink more than 3 pints these days!

Anyway, as yet I’ve not managed to find anywhere in Sheffield with a good selection of premium Belgian Beers, I know there’s quite a few locals on here, so if you could share your secret haunts with me that would be great – Thanks!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Head of Steam outside the Crucible has a fair few.

(not a local, just a recent tourist)

CountZero

An earlier post reminded me that I prefer a good strong Belgian Beer to the over hopped “craft beers” and piss water ales available in most establishments today – probably due to my age and inability to drink more than 3 pints these days!

Just how many ‘establishments’ do you visit? The days of ‘over-hopped’ ‘craft’ beers, (whatever those are), have largely passed anyway, like many me-too fads people have got bored with it and the breweries have moved on. And ‘piss water ales’? Most that I’ve drunk have been around 3.8 to 4.8, some higher than that, and all have been full of flavour, unlike the bad old days of Bass, Courage and Ushers watery rubbish, and good riddance to those. There are probably twenty or thirty, possibly more, decent breweries within a thirty mile radius of where I live, and I’ve tried examples of much of what they produce, and none match your description.

My regular drinking place has been well supported by Ramsbury Brewery, and their Milk Stout is a wonderful winter beer.

BillMC

Best beer I’ve come across is in the Beer House, Eccleshall Rd, rapid turnover (the record being a barrel in 39 mns) means it’s fresh and well presented. They offer a variety of strengths and styles in about six cask hand pumps plus kegs. I don’t know of a bar that has a load of specifically Belgian beer but a local brewery had a go at a ‘Belgian’ beer but I was rather less than whelmed.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I agree to a point Count 0, there are some great pubs and small brewerys around Sheffield but the majority are poor to mediocre.
    Anyway that’s by the way, as I can’t take the volume these days it’s small,tasty and strong for me from here on in.

jeffl

Was going to suggest the Dev Cat, but it closed last year. Can’t help but think it was in the wrong part of town ☹️

MrSmith
    Free Member

Is the pub in the station still open? Platform 1 or something?
    Had a cracking Thornbridge porter in there plus something Belgian but things got a bit hazy after that

tuboflard

Is the pub in the station still open? Platform 1 or something?
    Had a cracking Thornbridge porter in there plus something Belgian but things got a bit hazy after that

The Sheffied Tap? Yep, still open and doing well on weekends at least from what I’ve seen. Always a good selection on though not particularly Belgian as such. Same owners as the Euston Tap from memory.

BillMC

Just been out to check. 3.9 to 6.4 and a bottle at 8 but as you say mostly pale.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pubs/Bars with a good selection of Belgian Beers – Sheffield?’ is closed to new replies.