Home Forums Bike Forum PSAs that may or may not be amazing enough to warrant their own thread

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 2,752 total)
  • PSAs that may or may not be amazing enough to warrant their own thread
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Doesn’t matter because I don’t need a new bike.

According to the size guide I’m a large. I’ve had to size down in the past ‘cos I have quite short legs but there doesn’t seem to be much difference in standover, so I should be fine there.

Still not buying one though. Nope.

irc
    Free Member

So my DHB £24 waterproof jkt arrived. 2XL size. Fit is a fraction on the snug side (with base layer and thin fleece top underneath. but wearable.  Seems really good quality. 433g.  It will mostly be strapped to the rack of my pub bike in case I get caught in the rain. If I was actually wanting to use it to commute daily I’d want to size up. No longer need to move my other waterproof back and forth between my two most used bikes.

I have managed to restrict my spend to this jacket and a £23 Deore chainset which I actually needed. Already fitted.

Thanks to whoever linked to the chainset. Genuine £50 saving for something I was going to be buying anyway. The previous cranks having been buggered after they loosend and were used for a few miles before being properly tightened up.

desperatebicycle

Lifeline brand is worth a browse on Wiggle to find those tools you didn’t know you needed for a bargain price.
    I got a wheel dishing tool for £10. Which is nice, cos I’ve been using one I made out of bits of shelving :)

grahamt1980

I think EXTRA10 has stopped working on crc

cp

I think EXTRA10 has stopped working on crc

still working on everything for me.  It’s due to end on the 7th

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/promotions-terms-and-conditions

cp

ah, no, conked out for me now too.

submarined
    Free Member

Yeah, the l lifeline told had got some great deals on things that I consider some of my most essential.
    You could pick up a headset press, mech hanger alignment tool, chain whip pliers, DT ratchet tool, and dishing tool for under a ton.

rwoofer
    Free Member

Just received the £10 wheel dishing tool and the Lifeline Pro wheel truing stand. Dishing tool looks simple to use, but suspect I need to invest a bit of time into using the truing stand.

appltn

I brought that dishing tool last week for £25 and was pleased with that!

@rwoofer
    how do you like the quality of the truing stand? Does it seem decent?

rwoofer
    Free Member

Truing stand looks and feels sturdy. Some reviews complain about alignment, but I think the whole point is that you have to align the gauges with the wheel arms as part of the process. The stand is equiped to do that and it is a 1 min job. OK would have been nice to come pre-aligned, but I imagine with shipping and everything else, it is likely they would need realignment anyway.

appltn

Lovely thanks, I reckon I’ll give it a shot.

wishiwascalledsteve

Just a warning for the Lifeline Pro trying stand, it won’t accept 148mm or wider hubs

nixie

That put me off it though the reviews suggest they are variable enough that some will take a 148mm hub. Other way around that is sticking qr caps on while you build (find it’s normally easier on my current stand with qr caps anyway).

davros

Start fitness have lots of Scott MTB jerseys for £10-15.

chainbreaker
    Free Member

How do the fohn jackets size up? Do you need to size up/down or are they true to size?

jkomo

The Nukeproof 2.5 layer is pretty decent. Discrete branding, packable material, not used yet so no idea how breathable.
    Sizing fine, XL for me with my manly physique is fine.

alanl
    Free Member

“The Nukeproof 2.5 layer is pretty decent. Discrete branding, packable material, not used yet so no idea how breathable.”

I used mine last night in Southern Scotland drizzle (thats a torrential downpour to the English Southerners). I didnt notice anything breathable about it, my arms and back were wet with sweat when I was finished. Not that I noticed it until I got changed. Still, its a pretty good jacket, I would have been very wet and cold without it. XL here, 42/43’ chest, some excess around the middle too, fits well.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/nukeproof-blackline-mens-2-5l-packable-cycling-jacket?color=salsa

breninbeener

Sadly when its really raining there is no way any fabric can be breathable.

devash
    Free Member

Also interested to know about the Fohn sizing, specifically what to go for being a tall (183cm) racing snake with a 39″ chest.

Seen some reviews saying they size up similar to / come from the same factory as Nukeproof gear, which for me was always too tight in small and too baggy / wide in medium.

Beagleboy

@devash @chainbreaker

I didn’t get a Fohn jacket, but as I mentioned up there somewhere ^^ I got a really nice Fohn merino hoodie the other day and as far as that’s concerned, I’d say the sizing is true. I’m an XL, but I bought the XXL so I could layer up underneath it and it’s big on me.

andy4d

I got the Fhon down jacket for my son, he is a skinny 6ft1 and the large is ok on him. It is snug fitting so may not get thick jumpers under it. I have tried it (6ft and 75kg) and it’s fine. I would describe it as fitted rather than relaxed in style. If you like loose fitting maybe go up a size but not sure if their other jackets are cut the same.

flyingpotatoes

My final order from chain reaction is due to be delivered today.

It was stuck in processing for 5 days so wasn’t sure if it would get cancelled.

It’s great getting these bargain parts but have to feel for the employees especially as they know the company has been bought but still won’t have a job.

a11y

I bought the Fohn Supercell 3L waterproof jacket in XL 2 years ago – 89kg / 187cm. It’s big on me, I could probably get away with L but I wanted the space to layer up underneath for slow-paced/stop-start rides rather than an outright riding jacket. I don’t know how that cut compares with their other jackets though.

I’m an XL in most Nukeproof stuff too: merino bases, shorts, and the recent NP merino hoody is a snug fit in XL (wearing if for WFH right now – no emphasis on the ‘W’ part…).

luv2ride
    Free Member

^right, that has to be the last Chiggle order from me, had stuff in my basket when the 10% offer still applied,waiting for further discounts, code not now working. Noted also the standard delivery times look to have stretched out to a week (last order was a Trig gravel fork on Saturday night, arrived Monday afternoon!). Ordered via CRC, as tried via Wiggle yesterday evening but wouldnt take my Paypal payment, worked ok through CRC this morning though.
    I went for tbe Fohn waterproof smock, Fohn merino hoodie as mentioned above, and a DHB insulated trail shirt, all in medium. Had also held back due to sizing uncertainty, but have a dhb trail tee in medium which fits well, and a Fohn Polartec Neoshell which in medium comes up a bit big (can comfortably get a thin down jacket underneath). A bit of mid-week jeopardy…!

But, yes…do feel for the staff 😕

jamiebkc

a Fohn Polartec Neoshell which in medium comes up a bit big

Does the hood fit over a helmet?

luv2ride
    Free Member

Does the hood fit over a helmet?

@jamiebkc
    Yes, if you mean a bike helmet? Just tried it with my Mavic XA Pro lid and hood works well. The jacket is cut a bit long for riding though….

Im waiting to see if they come down a bit more as may pick up a small for summer, and keep the medium for winter layering. Its my favourite waterproof. For reference im 39″ chest, but with a 35″ waist these days

5lab
    Free Member

think this packable roadie rain jacket is at a new low price

https://www.wiggle.com/p/dhb-aeron-mens-tempo-3-waterproof-jacket

81% off apparently

some really cheap 2xl trousers

https://www.wiggle.com/p/endura-mt500-freezing-point-trousers

jamiebkc

Thanks!

weeksy

GT Force, £900 !!!

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3820052/

That’s got to be bloody good value

itlab
    Free Member

At £900 that looks great value

but im not surprised they didn’t sell at RRP, £2400 for Tektro brakes and Microshift gearing seems crazy.

branes
    Free Member

I’ve just had one of those Prime XC bars turn up. Meh. It’s fine, but 203g which is just as well as the quality doesn’t look great inside. ie don’t expect too much, but for £15 of course you can’t grumble. It would definitely have gone back at £109 though. (Edit: just noticed that the Wiggle ‘top features’ say it’s 234g – in which case I can’t decide whether the actual 203g weight is a good or bad thing…)

5lab
    Free Member

prime stuff never really sold at rrp – it was probably a £50 bar all its life which is now heavily discounted. Doesn’t make it a bad deal, but its the same as much of their own-brand-ish stuff

monkeyboyjc

Edit: just noticed that the Wiggle ‘top features’ say it’s 234g

Tbh I thought that sounded heavy for a carbon flat bar.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

if anyone wants spare pedal pins and bolts for the neutron composite pedals these are 99p

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/nukeproof-horizon-comp-replacement-pins

ordered a couple of pairs and these are not per the listing name, pictures are right though..

i guess the 1 star review is correct, as they are shipping the horizon neutron pins/bolts..

goldfish24

NBD for littlest goldfish. I’ve had plenty of clothes and spares from chiggle but getting an actual bike built by an actual person from chiggle brought a real sense of sadness. Cheers Andrew for the nicely built bike. I hope you find a new job soon, this first bike will bring years of happiness to my lad.

IMG_0102

a11y

getting an actual bike built by an actual person from chiggle brought a real sense of sadness. Cheers Andrew for the nicely built bike

Nicely put (and nice bike!). Yesterday morning I used CRC’s live chat and had the usual good service. Person’s name was Scott H, I wished him well and found out he was from CRC’s home town so very much associated with them. Regardless of them being seen as a big/faceless organisation who some percieve has resulted in the demine of LBSs, at the end of the day there’s still real folk losing out over all this.

I’m too Scottish to turn down a good deal, but I’d much rather still have CRC/Wiggle in existance than the admin sale bargains.

Fueled
    Free Member

I’ve just had one of those Prime XC bars turn up. Meh. It’s fine, but 203g which is just as well as the quality doesn’t look great inside.

Genuine question, what are you expecting and what makes it meh? I’ve got one too, I don’t really expect a handlebar to do much except not snap, so long as it does that I’ll be happy. The original alloy bar that came on my bike was over 300g, so £15 for a 100g saving feels like a nice marginal gain.

dave_h

Genuine question, what are you expecting and what makes it meh?

I suppose the point is that if you were hoping for a £109 bar for £15 then it isn’t the bargain it would appear if the reality is that it’s the quality/weight of a £30 bar.

branes
    Free Member

Genuine question, what are you expecting and what makes it meh? I’ve got one too, I don’t really expect a handlebar to do much except not snap, so long as it does that I’ll be happy. The original alloy bar that came on my bike was over 300g, so £15 for a 100g saving feels like a nice marginal gain.

Just really that a £109 XC bar should be closer to 150g and better finish – I have a (genuine) 720mm Easton EA90 that’s 120 and a On-One that’s 150 or so I think. Of course, as others have pointed out it was probably never £109, and yes £15 is fine (actually good) for what it is. That and the insides look a bit messy – not sure if it’s un-retrieved bladder or wrinkles or both. Basically don’t expect a top end bar.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 2,752 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.