Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 612 total)
  • PSA – Ragley frames for £170
  • tomwoodbury

Years since I posted on here but I bought myself a Big Al frame with a heavily reduced Revelation fork so really keen to see how folks build these up and what they think of them. The Hardtail Party review was enough to convince me it was time to see what modern geo is all about. Will be transferring bits from my 2016 salsa El mariachi.

misteralz
    Free Member

I built a Piglet during the corona times after my Explosif got stolen and it’s probably the best bike I’ve ever had. I’ve currently got two different frames in my basket that I can’t quite justify, but they’re so cheap I also can’t not.

The idea of building a steel 29er appeals greatly. Like my Scandal, but more Pigletty?

cp

large Marley has a head tube 30mm longer than the large bigwig. A bit hit and miss whether my steerer will be long enough (I haven’t cut it), so will have to wait and see…

The Marley is internal headset cups whereas the big wig is external. The real world difference will be 10mm at most, probably less.

mulv1976
    Free Member

The Marley is internal headset cups whereas the big wig is external. The real world difference will be 10mm at most, probably less.

Thanks, yeah I checked the cups and the lower one on the bigwig is external so should have about about 10-15mm to play with. Should be fine, but thought I’d make others aware in case they have short steerers!

ButtonMoon

There’s some serious discounts in the HT market!

CRC Ragley Vs Whyte 8/900 series.

submarined
    Free Member

Any thoughts on the viability of building up a small Marley 275 or Mmbop with 26″ wheels for an 11 year old? I think the reach of 420 seems ok, just worried the BB will be a bit low.
    170 quid seems a bargain for a decent frame, I don’t want to invest in a tired old full suss at this age.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I bought the Big Al at full RRP in the summer. Running it with 150 36s and its an utter joy. Light, playful and very happy on the steep stuff.

Kramer
    Free Member

@submarined – depends on what crank length you’d be using?

I think that with 150mm cranks it would be ok?

a11y

@submarined, sounds like you’re where I am. Currently hovering over the buy button on Marley 275 full builds at £700 for my kids. Eldest (almost 11, 154cm) won’t be tall enough for even a small Ragley for ~6 months and even longer for my youngest, but I’m still tempted to buy now and stash away. Unsure how much longer deals like these are going to be around if the bike market returns to any sort of normality.

I see reach as 415mm on the small Marley 275 full-build – I suspect they’re 2022 frames rather than 2023 frame-onlys, unless CRC/Wiggle have they’re desciptors wrong (although they seem to match Ragley’s own website). That compares to 396mm reach on the Vitus Mucleus 26s mine have been riding since they were 140cm tall, so sounds ideal sizing.

I expected I’d buy used FS frames to build up as their next bikes, but a new decent hardtail is very appealing. If full suss then Winstanleys have small Marin Rift Zone 29s reduced to £1200. It’s a bit jump in price compared to a well-specced Ragley HT though.

Kramer
    Free Member

@cp or anyone else, can you suggest a crankset to go with that BB please?

Ideally cinch compatible?

Kramer
    Free Member

@tuboflard – not cinch compatible, and sorry I should have specified, 12 speed.

b33k34

Wow.  Those complete bikes are a steal – they were great value at full price.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Vitus Sentier hardtails are particularly good value too, if you don’t mind the outdated (short) geometry.

Dunno if they’d work well for taller kids?

Hmmm, I have a set of 27.5 Lyriks sat in the shed doing nothing.

Wonder if an Mmmbop would handle 180mm forks….

stevedoc
    Free Member

Well I couldnt put myself off any longer ..  logged out at check out 4 times yesterday and twice this morning . It made sense to buy and run a Big Al over the winter slop and save a load of messing .   If it rides as awell as the 2020 im happy

Kramer
    Free Member

Well I couldnt put myself off any longer ..  logged out at check out 4 times yesterday and twice this morning . It made sense to buy and run a Big Al over the winter slop and save a load of messing .   If it rides as awell as the 2020 im happy

Good man, you know it makes sense.

dirkpitt74

Really tempted with the Marley 29’er.

I already have most things to build it up – just missing some forks and tyres……..

Anyone at 5’11 run a medium mmmbop? I’ve long legs and usually run a large on my bikes, but the medium looks so much better with the seat stays in line with the top tube

IMG_9560 copy

a11y

That was inevitable: I caved.

Two half-price Marley 275 full bikes ordered – BOGOF! Won’t be needed for 6 months or so until mini-a11ys are a bit taller, but good to have them lined up. Cranks will be swapped for something shorter, brakes will be switched for something non-SRAM, but other than that the spec is ideal.

Thanks for the PSA @lucasshmucas

timblake7

Any Trig owners? Thoughts?

I bought a Trig of Oli on here a couple of months ago and have been blown away by it. On the flats of Cambridge it’s faster than the mtb but brings things alive as the terrain is not exactly challenging. Took it to the Lakes and had an amazing time on trails including gravel stuff and the Red route at Grizedale and back roads. The geometry is brilliant. It’s remarkably comfortable and whilst it’s slower going down the more techy stuff it’s still fun as you later guide it down the best line. Also did the original 100km gravel ride here (Tour of the Cornfields) and it was comfortable and behaved impecably. I thought it would be good but it’s exceeded my expectations.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Got a trig on last PSA, ace bike! I found the drops uncomfortable and no fun so stuck some proper bars on it and then mounted some old style cowhorns inboard if I wanted aero and a change of position, works well.

Blue Pig incoming… I should know better than to look at PSA threads!

Thanks OP!

submarined
    Free Member

@a11y I think we’re on the same place! 10.5 year old here, with an mx24 that’s starting to look pretty minute.
    Marley 275 would seem a great fit for next bike, especially if fitted with 26 stuff. Got most of the bits I need here.
    Can’t bring myself to spend full suss money on his next option, especially when he’s not into super tech and will grow out of it pretty fast

@Kramer
    good point about the cranks! Ta. Just need to find an option that isn’t crazy money and would be 11sp compatible.

stevedoc
    Free Member

First world simplicity

Orders frame   pays postage on frame

Orders Headset.. chuck it in the same box as frame ? No CRC pays postage to Evri  wonders why companies make a loss  . Now contemplates a set of 650b+ wheels for the Al   maybe a set of Spengal wheels     and it was looking like a cheap build at first.

dirkpitt74

Hmmm, Marley 29 or Big Al?

What’s the pros & cons of each?

Guessing Marley is more of a trail bike & the Al an Enduro sled?

Already have an Enduro Full Suss, so would suspect that the Marley might be better?

Anyone run the Marley 29 with 150mm forks?

stevedoc
    Free Member

My old al is the same as this years marley  and I ran mine with 160mm forks . It was brilliant I only swapped it out for a Tallboy frame to easy the ass poundage, but to be fair I have missed the easy of a hardtail just wipe it down and lock it away, no messing with cleaning linakages or shock servicing every 6 weeks in the winder slop .

sing1etrack

White Big Al frame ordered, to replace a  er, red Big Al frame. The new one, with its slacker head angle and generally more enduro geo is going to run a 160mm fork rather than the 140mm on the old one. I’ve enjoyed riding the old one, hopefully I won’t regret changing!

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

IMG_4678My Big Al arrived this morning. Built it up this afternoon with parts from a P7. Just waiting for a longer dropper to arrive. 

butcher

Why do I keep opening this thread every time I see it. Are they sold out yet?

stevedoc
    Free Member

Mines out for delivery today 🙂 and just in time for slop season.  @ tomtomthepiperson  that looks fun .

mulv1976
    Free Member

The yellow Marley frame looks ace, bought to replace my big wig. Looking forward to building it up (with 160mm forks 😜)

sing1etrack

Beginning to wish I’d gone for blue now I’ve seen tomtom’s photo, it looks good 👍

cp

Beginning to wish I’d gone for blue now I’ve seen tomtom’s photo, it looks good

It’s lovely in the flesh! This pic doesn’t really do it justice

PXL_20231004_200452305

stevie750

Why do I keep opening this thread every time I see it. Are they sold out yet?

not yet
    Can i suggest that you also don’t look here, as they would go together nicely
    https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-dt-xm1700-wheels-crc/

simonsl8er

Sorry for the slight hijack on this thread but came across it as I keep getting drawn to the Ragley Mmmbop on wiggle as I’m looking to replace my 2016 crush frame and £170 for the Ragley seems too good to pass up!!

built up a Marley last month for my gf and she loves it and while I love the Orange bikes (had a 5 and have a crush and alpine evo) and would love a 2023 crush frame I just don’t seen how it’s going to be 3-4x better than the Ragley (based on cost)

any thoughts/suggestions before I hit the buy button in the Ragley?!

cp

any thoughts/suggestions before I hit the buy button in the Ragley?!

Why haven’t you bought it already?!

simonsl8er

@cp 😜😂

happybiker
    Free Member

I decided to save money in the future and bought a Marley for my son’s next bike. I spent ages trying to decide on small (420mm reach) or medium (440mm) but went for the medium. He’s 12 and 148cm, currently rides a small Vitus Nucleas with a reach of 380mm. His full suspension is a medium Orange Four with a reach of 438mm which he is comfortable on, rode the Swiss Jura over 5 days and it fits him well. According to the sizing chart the medium will suit riders from 170-180cm. We’ll build it for him next year I reckon and it should see him through until he finishes school.

The Marley looks identical to the older (2021?) Big Al which my wife has, tubing shapes, dropouts, brake casting etc, nice looking frames and even at full RRP they’re a bargain.

simonsl8er

Bit the bullet – bought!!

twonks

I keep looking but have with held so far.

Mainly fancy a frame to build up N+1 winter bike but, it has to accommodate my spare 27.5″ 40mm wide rims with 2.8″ tyres as I really don’t want to buy yet another set of wheels.

Does anybody know if the 29″ frames pretty much all accept plus wheels?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 612 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.