Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 612 total)
  • PSA – Ragley frames for £170
  • Kramer
    Free Member

To make the head angle ~61°? 🤣

My Big Al is that good as it should be, something makes me think they knew what they were doing with the geometry 😂😉

dc1988

Won’t a -2 angleset on a Marley just bring it in line with the Mmmbop head angle? 

I’m running a +2 angleset on my Mmmbop

submarined
    Free Member

Most of the reasons above. But chiefly, it’s what I had lying around and I didn’t have a spare 29er rear!
    Yes, brings it closer to the Big Al, but there weren’t any left, and the TT was too long for me on those for the reach I want

Marley is rated for a 150 fork, and I like a slack HA.

and the TT was too long for me on those for the reach I want

I was surprised with the Big Al – I generally like a short reach, due to long legs/short torso, but the quite big BB drop means the saddle is level with the bars (normally I have to go higher) and the extra 20-30mm reach over what I’m used to seems to work. The s/t angle is also steeper than I’m used to, so that helps too. But that’s just me comparing to previous bikes

langers78
    Free Member

@GeForceJunky thanks for the bolt sizes and the link. I’ll get some ordered. 👍

GeForceJunky

I missed one person off my postage list so need to make at least one more hanger. Send me a PM if you’re still looking for one as I’ll make a couple more.

Saccades
    Free Member

Just back from catching up with F&F in the UK where I picked up the hangers.

They are gert lush! Thank you very much, appreciate your skill and dedication. The bike’s rider looked at me funny getting all excited at them. Ho hum.

Thank you!

GeForceJunky

I have 4x hangers and 4x non-driveside dropouts left after I had to make another small batch due to missing one order, happy to split if anyone who didn’t get a matching non-driveside still wants one.

IMG_20240128_142555

misteralz
    Free Member

Oooh, yes please!

snax

How much are the hangers please?

Kramer
    Free Member

Another great fun ride round Loweswater today. Gosh this bike makes me smile. 😊

nickfrog
    Free Member

That’s a lovely pic L, thanks for sharing!

I really love that green. Glad you are enjoying the bike.

jkomo

Kramer I’d smile too if that was a local ride.

Kramer
    Free Member

@jkomo me too, unfortunately it’s not, I’m just up in the Lakes for a week.

submarined
    Free Member

Very much enjoying my Frankenmarley on local trails

However, the glorious paint is, in fact, shit. I’ve never owned a bike that chipped so easily. And I’ve owned a bloody Transition.

ajantom

However, the glorious paint is, in fact, shit. I’ve never owned a bike that chipped so easily. And I’ve owned a bloody Transition.

My Blue Pig (bought a year prior to the blow-out prices) has a few small patches where the lacquer has flaked, but the rest of the paintwork seems solid 🤷‍♂️

Best paint ever is on my old Surly Krampus. It’s got plenty of battle scars but still cleans up reet nice.

mattrockwell
    Free Member

I’ve almost finished building up one of two green Marley 290 frames I have and I agree on the fragile paint – I’ve got a chip on one chainstay and big scratch on the other just from the (careful) build process. Once it hits by the muck, I don’t have much hope for it at all.

Kramer
    Free Member

Let’s face it though, bikes like this are meant to have patina.

I’m a clumsy builder and ride some fairly rocky stuff. Not a mark on the white Big Al

escapegoat
    Free Member

Do any of you lovely fellow ragley owners perhaps happen to have laying around in your parts box/garage, a broken/bent/snapped ragley hanger (2019-current) that they don’t need?

Single speed conversion is underway, and intend to modify one to remove the redundant actual hanger part..but I’m not keen on chopping up a perfectly fine/new one and would rather do it to a trashed one.

Happy to cover postage of course.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Resurrecting this rather than a new thread, as cheap frames are back on the Ebay shop!

Does anyone know the approx weight of the Mbop 275 frames?

fenderextender
    Free Member

I don’t really know the weight, but it didnt feel heavy to me.

They are lovely frames, the rear triangle is surprisingly supple for an alu HT.

The super-slack geo demands attention whilst riding, but if you do keep weight on the front, there’s not much that fazes it.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Don’t know but you might want to extrapolate. My Big Al frame in L with all the trimmings is 2390g.

niel11
    Free Member

Does anyone happen to know what size bolts are used to hold the rear hangers on a Ragley Big Al?

Went for a ride today and noticed some creaking from the back, after checking a few things the rear wheel was moving in the hangar and the little bolts holding the hanger had worked themselves loose. They appeared to have locktite on but they weren’t very tight, the bolts appear to be made of cheese as one of them almost rounded off just loosing it, need to get a couple of spares I think!

ajantom

Does anyone happen to know what size bolts are used to hold the rear hangers on a Ragley Big Al?

Same size bolt as cleat bolts – I lost a couple from my Blue Pig and found these fit perfectly.

fenderextender
    Free Member

Timely thread.

I had the exact same thing on my Mmmbop. The bolts on the alloy frames are M5, 8mm countersunk with 3mm hex head. They are, indeed, made of cheese. I’ve ordered some stainless steel ones to replace them. I would have preferred them to be 4mm hex head as the larger key size would probably resist rounding a little better.

I believe the steel frames take 10mm bolts rather than 8mm. That also seems daft given the relative hardness of the frame material.

The non-driveside assembly team at Ragley seem to have heard of loctite, but the driveside assembly team seems not to have. 🙂

Daft, really – they expect you to put headset cups in, but don’t trust you with six little bolts.

I could be wrong, but I think if you read this thread front to back, there’s a link to aftermarket bolts.

Could have been somewhere else I saw it though. I bought some anyway.

Had heard about the loose bolts pre building mine so nipped them up (the originals). They definitely are soft – kinda wondering if this is to make them sacrificial to save the frame threads and hanger?

fenderextender
    Free Member

I think sacrificial bolts are a bridge too far for Ragley, TBH.

I guess you could argue they are sacrificial to your Allen keys as the grade of material in the bolt head would struggle to round a candle…

We’ll see how the replacements do – just lightly nipping up the originals with a nicely cut, sharp and hard Allen key bit from a proper torque wrench set has nearly buggered the heads of a couple. And that is literally just snugging them and hoping the loctite does the job.

nickfrog
    Free Member

First ride / shake down, finally.

Nothing has fallen off so always a bonus.
    The Ragley Big Al is one comfy yet super quick bike that is going to prove super versatile I think.
    Those 36s turn in very well indeed.
    XT/SLX 12 is quite superb.
    200mm dropper really nice and slammed.
    TRP 4-pot surprisingly good for the money.
    Wicked Will 2.6F and Nobby Nic 2.4R a weird combo that is actually proving really good so far.

A bit good, aren’t they?

So comfy and capable – almost easy to forget you’re riding a HT at times

nickfrog
    Free Member

^^ exactly. Living on the South Downs it makes the need for FS relatively limited. So much so that I have sold the Izzo.

I am really glad I went for L at 6ft. XL would have pushed things a little too far. And reduced the dropper travel.

How are you getting on with yours?

How are you getting on with yours?

Loving it. Need to try and get out on it this weekend, not had a ride on it for a few weeks. At 5’11 with long legs, large seems to suit me perfectly too with a 200/210(?) dropper – not slammed though 😬. As you say the trp brakes are decent. The weak point on mine I think though is the Lyrik Selects. I have three tokens in and still seem to blow through the travel. Other than that, all good

nickfrog
    Free Member

That’s disappointing about the Lyrik. Are they recent? Or could it because they are recent? Oil level ?

As you can see I don’t know much about forks but I had old Lyrics and they were brilliant.

TBF I am really impressed with the cheapo 36 Rythm and the old Grip damper so perhaps that says more about my inability to push forks 😂

Kramer
    Free Member

Most of the time you’re paying for more adjustment rather than outright performance with forks and shocks.

These were the recent CRC discounted Lyriks

Had an old set on my ebike and they were fine. Probably just need to do a bit more tweaking

mattrockwell
    Free Member

FWIW I copped a set of the CRC Lyrik Ultimates when they bottomed out at £340.

I sent them to J-Tech to have the travel reduced and their custom tune/settings as it was very little more to do at the same time.

I’ve not had Lyrik’s before, but I’ve got Pikes on my other hardtail and had other RS forks. Usually I find the recommend settings on the Trailhead app, plus very little compression damping suits me. When the Lyriks came back with suggested 85psi (compared to 91 on TH), HSC on about half way and the LSC on about 2/3 of the way, it seemed really odd.

Honestly not sure how much J-Tech’s optimisation of the internals affects this, but they’re working beautifully, strange settings and all. Best I’ve ever ridden.

fenderextender
    Free Member

Got some stainless steel 12mm total length, countersunk, M5 bolts with 3mm hex heads – 20 for £5.69 off Amazon.

Absolutely fine – snugged down nicely with a dab of blue loctite. No iffy feeling of potential rounding in the head at all.

👍

breninbeener

@fwnderextender do you have a link? Or want to sell a set?

fenderextender
    Free Member

Hope the link works.

The guy from BETD was keen to point out (very politely) that they sell them as separates too. Link below. BETD did hood work when all those Ragley frames were bought and then people (like me) thought “oh, what about spate hangers?” 🙂

DERAILLEUR HANGER SCREWS & BOLTS

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 612 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.