• This topic has 174 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by igm.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 175 total)
  • PSA – PX Tempest Rival 1 for £1299
  • metriod
    Free Member

Did anyone else (try to) order a Tempest with Rival 22 for 1299?

metriod
    Free Member

Brant: Any chance you can help out here? Who do I need to talk to to get order a Tempest Rival 22 for 1.299 as well?
    Thanks!

Alex

Turned up at 7pm on the Yodel truck. Quick spin on the local farm track before it went dark. Proper ride tomorrow. Feels fast. And light. But then yesterday I rode 70km on my 30lb mountain bike so….

Alex

Yep I like that. Big tyres, Hydro’s, super comfy and fun to ride.

Questions for other owners

– what pressures are you running. I’ve got about 50psi in there but reckon I could run a bit lower without losing much in terms of rolling resistance.

– anyone done a tubeless conversion yet? Are rims and tyres good to go as is just with some tape and stans?

mattbee

I’ve changed my wheels for a set of Chris King/Stans Crest with G Ones that I had ‘spare’ but before that I tried the stock wheels/tyres at about 40psi. They ran fine on the road and weren’t bad on the short sections of SDW I rode. Did hear a few bottom out type noises on the roots but didn’t pinch puncture.

dantsw13

Thanks for the wheel specs Brant. I fancy some lighter wheels for road duties.

Alex

@mattbee – thanks. I’ll drop them a bit more. Probably have a crack at tubeless and see where we go. I expect somewhere like ‘to the land of stans fluid all over the inside of my shed’ but we shall see 🙂

Saw so many tracks I wanted to explore today. Not ridden that route for years since I stopped road riding. But now I’m really looking forward to diving off onto bridleways and maybe the odd cheeky footpath.

damascus
    Free Member

Brant, is the warranty on the titanium frames the standard 2 years? Thanks

mattbee

Have to say I’m very impressed with this bike. I bought it to replace a road bike (RT58 Carbon) and my old gravel bike (Sonder Camino Al).

Ive owned ti bikes previously (Airbourne road bikes and mtb) and the ride is just what I remember, road buzz dampened out and a nice lively feel to it. Has been comfy so far in mixed road/off road rides and on my commute.

Standard spec is good, I just had a set of wheels waiting to go on it. Also think silver finishing kit looks better on a ti frame although your opinion may differ!

Saddle does actually match bar tape colour when it’s not in shadow! Just waiting on a Garbaruk direct mount ring and I’ll be fitting the S900 Carbon cranks I have spare too. Stock weight in a L was a shade under 10kg on my shonky Amazon luggage scale, dropped to about 9.5kg with the wheel swap.

Looking forward to getting some nice long South Downs rides in on it.

brant
    Free Member
    mlpinto
    Free Member

@mattbee – looks good! That’s pretty much what I have in mind for mine – just need to wait till the bank account recovers before I start the upgrades!

What cages are those and do you have any suggestions for cheap stockists of tan wall G Ones?

Thanks

metriod
    Free Member

@brant
    Could you let me know how I can order a Tempest with Rival 22 for 1.299 as well please.
    Is it sufficient to order a Rival 1 and followup with an e-mail?

mattbee

Cages are Ti ones I’ve had for years. PX actually used to do a stainless steel version.

I picked the G Ones up from eBay as new take offs, £50 for the pair.

brant
    Free Member

@brant
    Could you let me know how I can order a Tempest with Rival 22 for 1.299 as well please.
    Is it sufficient to order a Rival 1 and followup with an e-mail?

No. Don’t do that. Email me on brant@planetx.co.uk and I’ll get someone to arrange a spec but pretty sure it can’t be £1299.99.

Alex

Quick update. Took mine off-road to local woods. It was great. Even after I crashed it 🙂 Felt lively on the dirt, not as harsh as my old alloy CX bike. Did drop pressures to low 40s. Not sure I’d want to go much lower.

Also changed the stock stem for a 90mm 5mm rise Bonty one. Much prefer that on and off road.

Alex

I wrote a thing. It does include some predictable swearing at my inability to stop buying bikes!

NormalMan

@Alex, thanks for the link, genuinely made me lol. As someone with a…cough…few…bikes and having just purchased a ‘gravel’ bike of sorts (650b road plus) I related to many a sentiment.

Enjoy your new bike.

neila

Have since swapped out stock tyres with 40mm g-ones for exploring and have Hunt Gravels with 35mm Gravel-king for Commute/Road.

hardtailonly

I wrote a thing. It does include some predictable swearing at my inability to stop buying bikes!

Liked that.

Haven’t got the Tempest, but have got the Pickenflick which is a very similar-riding bike by the sounds of it, and which I have fallen in love with …

Alex

Thanks both. I’m quite excited at the prospect of exploring everything that I don’t need to drive too. There are loads of little woods and old lanes I’ve looked at on a map, but never really got round to riding. Certainly going to spice up my ‘working at home’ days 🙂

panzerjager
    Free Member

I’ve got one on the way too, but not home to play with it for another 2 weeks!

Looks great Neila, any other stock changes apart from the Brian bars & the seat post?
    Kept mine stock, but I like the look of the flair on those bars.

Serious question, is it a road bike thing that the cables all go to the same side of the head tube, thereby rubbing ugly patches into it or paint off of it, rather than around the head tube as on MTB’s?

letmetalktomark

Hi @Alex – nice write up.

Is yours the XL?

If so do you mind me asking how tall are you?

mattbee

I fully expected to be getting rid of the bars but I’m actually quite liking them. The angle of the hoods looks more extreme than it feels but I haven’t had any problems comfort or control wise.

neila

Panzerjager, I had to swap out the +17 degree stem for a 90mm 6 degree as it was just too high rise for me. The Brian bars are stock and very comfortable. I have got some new Matt black SKS Blumels waiting to on for winter commute mode. Fanastic bike and service from Planet X, this is my third (previous being a Pompetamine and a Pro Carbon for my wife)

Alex

@letmetalktomark – that’s a large. 90mm stem but not the 17 degree one it shipped with. I’m 5ft11 in ‘gibbon’ configuration. So short legs/long torso. There’s another fella on here of similar height/dimensions who I had a few PMs with. He went medium.

I’ve very glad to have gone large. It doesn’t feel stretched at all. Normally with large, standover tends to be the issue, but this is fine.

neila

I went for the L too, 5’11” with 32″ leg. Sizing is perfect.

funkmasterp

Anybody buy a Space Chicken in the sale? If so, what’s it like?

letmetalktomark

Thanks @Alex and @neila for the sizing info.

I suffer the same “gibbon” configuration but actually wondered if the XL was long enough in the ST …… based on pics and the fact I’m only about a 33” leg the XL should be large enough….. now whether to push the button 🤔😀

Alex

I would. But then I’m probably not the best person to ask 🙂

letmetalktomark

😂

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Anybody with a large weighed it yet? Curious.

AndrewL

Has anyone else had any luck ordering the 2X11 version, I had a message back saying they could do it and how much it would be last week, I replied, but it’s gone a bit quiet since then? Does anyone know the phone number? Thanks

brant
    Free Member

Has anyone else had any luck ordering the 2X11 version, I had a message back saying they could do it and how much it would be last week, I replied, but it’s gone a bit quiet since then? Does anyone know the phone number? Thanks

2×11 is fiddly but possible now on L and XL for £1350.

Forward me your email and I’ll find out why we’re avoiding selling people things they want.

Cheers

brant@planetx.co.uk

AndrewL

Thanks Brant – that’s great – will send an e-mail

Mowgli
    Free Member

I got 2 2×11 bikes early on, but now it seems PX feel that was a mistake and I ought not to have been allowed them? How does frame size affect what gears you can put on?

brant
    Free Member

I got 2 2×11 bikes early on, but now it seems PX feel that was a mistake and I ought not to have been allowed them? How does frame size affect what gears you can put on?

No, it’s not that.
    1x Gravel bikes are incredibly popular.
    Tempest is flat mount
    Most of our other bikes are post mount.
    We sell LOTS AND LOTS of bikes.
    Best selling gravel bike is Space Chicken – a 1x flat mount bike.
    We don’t have any 2x flat mounts in.
    We do have some adaptors but they only work on larger frames.
    We are getting more flat mount brakes because of our new flat mount 2x road frames.
    Then we’ll do 2x tempests as a stock bike on the web.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Ah cool, thanks for explaining. Fiddly indeed.

brant
    Free Member

Ah cool, thanks for explaining. Fiddly indeed.

I don’t want to write “doing custom bikes like this is a right pain in the arse” as it looks ungrateful.

But it’s MUCH easier for EVERYONE if we have a bike that has customisable options online for people to buy. We don’t in this case as we can’t offer it “cleanly” – but when we can, we certainly will!

hardtailonly

As the OP, can’t believe this is thread has reached 3 pages! And I don’t even own or have ordered a Tempest (much as I’d like to!)

(I do have a Pickenflick though, which is not dissimilar, and is ace!)

@brant
    … Can I have a free one (not bothered whether 1x or 2x) for generating all this business for PX/OO?

brant
    Free Member

@brant … Can I have a free one (not bothered whether 1x or 2x) for generating all this business for PX/OO?

I’ll buy you a pint* if you’re in town

*offer if 1 pint from pumps 1-4 at Vocation and Co, or 1/2 from pumps 5-16, or a 1/3 from pumps 17-20.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘PSA – PX Tempest Rival 1 for £1299’ is closed to new replies.