Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • PSA 'Bargain' Hope HB160
  • dirkpitt74

Swinnerton Cycles on Cannock Chase are advertising the HB160 for £5.5k if anyone’s interested.

LINKY

darrenspink
    Free Member

Looks like Hope have seen sense and dropped the price from 7.5. I’ll take two 🙂

dirkpitt74

Looks like they’re looking after those who’ve already purchased as well:

Swinnerton Cycles – In fairness to Hope they’ve re evaluated there pricing, and have contacted suppliers requesting the details of any customer who’s purchased a HB160 so the can personally refund the difference in price

mickmcd
    Free Member

you can buy a car for that

tomhoward

Great. Which trails can you ride that car down?

Fair play to hope for refunding folk who’d paid the higher price too

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wow, the retrospective refund is quite impressive.

mickmcd
    Free Member

or a Santa cruz

teethgrinder

or a Santa cruz

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No.

inverjoe
    Free Member

Makes you think why they dropped the price. Not selling as well as they’ed “hoped” or are the manufacturing costs are much lower now?

dirkpitt74

Apparently there will be an official press release next week from Hope about the pricing and why it’s changed.
    Looking online pretty much everywhere has them still at £7.5k.

wiganer
    Free Member

£7.5k!?!? How do they come up with this pricing!? You can get a spanking new, road registered KTM 350 enduro bike with top spec for that. And it’ll do all the hard work.

jonnyboi

£7.5k!?!? How do they come up with this pricing!? You can get a spanking new, road registered KTM 350 enduro bike with top spec for that. And it’ll do all the hard work.

Relatively small company doing all the Design, testing, build etc in the UK with a relatively small production run. Not hard to see how the costs can add up.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looking at what’s being said elsewhere about the sustainability of carbon, I can imagine it costs Hope a pretty penny to do it ethically.

wiganer
    Free Member

Relatively small company doing all the Design, testing, build etc in the UK with a relatively small production run. Not hard to see how the costs can add up.

Compared to a relatively small (in its industry) company doing all the design, testing, build, etc in Austria with a relatively small production run? What’s specialized’s excuse? I can’t see how a price tag like that can be justified.

tomhoward

So don’t pay it then?

wiganer
    Free Member

Top idea

dudeofdoom

Wow, the retrospective refund is quite impressive

+1 it’s good they’re doing that.

Simon

There were two lads out riding with me today on HB160s, nearly as common as Santa Cruz bikes are

dudeofdoom

TBH lucky I’m doing more road than mountain as I’d probably be haggling over one now.

Don’t get me wrong 5k is nothing to be sniffed as they’re doing the carbon in house so it’s not going to be cheap and it’s dripping in Hope bits.

Go on then own up who’s checked out the finance on one of these 🙂

Northwind

Very cool of them to give the refund tbh, especially since early adopters had to know there was a pretty good chance the price would crash

stevedoc
    Free Member

The true cost of building the bike from scratch was close to 1/2 million quid, That was to build their own bike all built in house with the exception of the dampening. At7.5k it was close to dream builds.. With the retrospective price decrease to a mere 5.5k it puts it in totally different price bracket.

Rs orange five give or take 5.3k
    Whyte s150 works 5.4k

Hope hb160 with all the parts you would need to add to the above 5.5k

Sorry this is now a game changer for me.. Well played Hope

rOcKeTdOg

How long do i wait until its about 1.5k? Hasn’t taken long to drop 2k

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

£7.5k IS a ridiculous price for a pedal powered bike, no question.

That said, also pretty sure the ‘reason’ for the refund is due to Hope not wanting people to buy the bike then sell it for a profit immediately. Happens frequently in the car world. That plus it was also overpriced in the first place.

tomhoward

Hadn’t considered that. Pretty clever thing to do IMO

dudeofdoom

No British cycling discount on it either 🙁

cyclelife
    Free Member

Just need to update the geometry then I might be interested.

teethgrinder

Apart from the SRAM gears, it’s almost a dream build. I’ve mentioned it to the wife, but it’s still a no for now, but with luck they’ll do a frame, hub, caliper option in the future, and I’ll have an option to replace the Spitfire.

Andy-R

I reckon that, for me, the geometry would be pretty much spot on. All depends what you do…..

dudeofdoom

I’ve mentioned it to the wife, but it’s still a no for now,

Unfortunately mine was next to the ipad which was charging when the FB Message of cant do BC Discount decided to show up 🙁

Anyway always remember

It’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission

and hanging towels on it seems to work.

andyl
    Free Member

Could it be that they underestimated the sales so the tooling and development costs are now spread out over more bikes and they are passing that back to ALL the customers rather than just the new ones? If they had just discounted it now then they may well have put off the off the original buyers who were early adopters and probably more likely to buy their stuff in future from investing in their products in future.

Well played Hope.

dirkpitt74

Who did you ask about BC discount?

andyl
    Free Member

Apart from the SRAM gears, it’s almost a dream build. I’ve mentioned it to the wife, but it’s still a no for now, but with luck they’ll do a frame, hub, caliper option in the future, and I’ll have an option to replace the Spitfire.

I’ll happily swap you the SRAM drivetrain for a brand new 11 speed XTR shifter and XT RD if you like? Shifter even has the Hope adapter for Tech 3 brakes.

stevedoc
    Free Member

If the wife tuts and says its up to you .. is that a yes or a warning ?

dudeofdoom

Who did you ask about BC discount?

Peeps in the linky so it was Swinnerton Cycles on Cannock Chase.

Via FB messenger .

TBH I wasn’t expecting anything thou but 0% finance an a bit disquento Id be very tempted:-)

dudeofdoom

In my experience its a ploy to confuse you so always take it as a yes.

andyl
    Free Member

That is a big fat “YES” in my book.

(but don’t be surprised if she wants something expensive in the future)

robowns
    Free Member

I mean it’s exclusive and looks alright, fair enough, but all of the proprietary bits and the already out of date geo for £5k? No thanks.

orena45

Out of date geometry…?! 😆

^^^ Yes

^^^ No

Onzadog
    Free Member

wife has already suggested I treat myself as I work hard for what I earn. I really like the idea of owning one of those. However, it would mean two very similar bikes so the sensible part of my brain is saying no.

edd

Out of date geometry…?!

Depends on your frame of reference:

^^^Yes

^^^No

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘PSA 'Bargain' Hope HB160’ is closed to new replies.