Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Properly funny books…anyone read anything lately?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Looking for a real laugh out loud book for my brother’s Christmas present. Any recommendations?

grahamt1980

Tom Sharpe – riotous assembly is a good start. I nearly got kicked into the spare room for reading it in bed

Cougar

I thought the Wilt series was probably the best Tom Sharpe outings I’ve read. Though it was a long old time ago that I read them so might’ve been a bit young for some of them. I enjoyed The Throwback too. TBH though, I’d take Tom Holt over Tom Sharpe.

There’s the classics of course, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett. Robert Rankin is one of my favourite authors. Recently discovered Jasper Fforde and am enjoying what I’ve read so far immensely.

choppersquad
    Free Member

So far he’s read all of Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, the Wilt books,and Douglas Adams. Will have a look at Jasper Fforde as I’ve never even heard of him?

scc999

“Dont’t tell Mum I work on the rigs, she thinks I’m a piano player in a whorehouse” had me properly laughing on the daily train commute.

grahamt1980

This is not a drill, just another wonder full day on the rigs, is another one by the same authir

DavidB
    Free Member

Adolf Hitler My Part in his Downfall – Spike Milligan

notmyrealname
    Free Member

“Dont’t tell Mum I work on the rigs, she thinks I’m a piano player in a whorehouse” had me properly laughing on the daily train commute.

I saw the thread title and came here to post the same thing.
    Genuine laugh out loud stuff!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

101 use for a dead cat.

boblo
    Free Member

The Cyclist Who Went Out In The Cold

This made oi larf and it’s about cycling. Dooblewin 🙂

martinhutch

Anything PG Wodehouse although it may be considered a bit Jacob Rees Mogg these days.

Harry_the_Spider

Danny Baker’s autobiography has it’s moments.

Flaperon

Adam Kay – This is Going to Hurt. Brilliant. Moved me from laughing out loud to tears within the course of a page. Mainly funny though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jasper Ffordeis superb.

However, Jeeves FTW!

akira

Tibor Fischer does some good stuff, also Kinky Friedman.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 for Danny Baker, especially if you don’t listen to his show (and so already know half of the stories).

Jonathan Coe – What A Carve Up.

Scathing satire of 1980s privatisation. Very relevant and probably the most laugh-out-loud funny book I’ve read.

timmys

Either or both of the Alan Partridge autobiographies (I, Partridge and Nomad)

uphillcursing
    Free Member

for later.

funkmasterp

Jasper Ffordes Nursery Crime books are good as is The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathan Fairfax by Christopher Shelvin.

If it’s not novels you’re after The Timewaster Letters are brilliant. Sort of a pre internet emails from an arsehole. Universally challenged is a good laugh too. It’s just a compilation of mad answers people have given on game shows. A lot better than it sounds

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The Last Days of Disco. David F Ross. Very very funny.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Te restraint of beasts – Magnus Mills
    Dark comedy, brilliant, read a few of his other things too and always enjoyed them, but not as much as this (perhaps something to do with relating to the fencing!).

finbar
    Free Member

I found Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel surprisingly funny. ‘Call me Risley’ 😆

tjagain

John Scalzi – Redshirts if he likes science fiction.

blurty

If he’s familiar with Ireland at all, the Ross O’Carroll Kelly books are superb

alexpalacefan

+1 for the Spike Milligan. Laugh-out-loud funny.

APF

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

The Chronicles of Clovis – Saki.

Classic short stories from the golden age of satire. Cracks me up anyway. Free to read online at Gutenberg Project

garage-dweller

The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Jonas Jonasson.

I could describe it but it would ruin it other than to say it begins with exactly what it says in the title.

I don’t know anyone who has picked it up and not liked it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saki! Yes!

Must go back and read some again.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Catch-22 or The Choirboys

stewartc
    Free Member

+1 for the Spike Milligan. Laugh-out-loud funny.

Though the later books in the series do go into his depression and PTSD.

Recently read the Disaster Artist, bit topical since the films just out, but it gave me some serious guffaws in places.

fingerbang
    Free Member

Timewaster letters by ‘robin cooper’

Cougar

That’s a book now? I followed the website for months.

user-removed
    Free Member

+1 for S. Milligan but also, if he doesn’t mind mixing up a modicum of tragedy with slightly hysterical self recognition, without the buffer of cosy middle class cushioning, then “The ginger Man” by Donleavy.

He’ll either laugh uproariously or go into a terminal decline.

user-removed
    Free Member

Magnus Mill’s stuff is only funny if you’re living that life.

“Restraint of Beasts” is a very good read but by the time you’re playing darts in a Local pub it’s far too late.

colp

The Amateurs by John Niven was good

choppersquad
    Free Member

Some great recommendations there so thank you everyone.
    He’s read most of Spike Milligan’s stuff but I might buy the ‘dont tell mum I work on the rigs’ books. In fact I think I might buy them for myself? There also seem to be a couple of junior doctor books throwing light on the lighter side of hospital life which might be amusing?

eddie11
    Free Member

Both partridge books. And catch 22 was hilarious years ago. Been a while though.

Stuart lee is very funny. But risky as a present.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Hitman Anderson and the meaning of it all.
    Absolutely bonkers.
    The author
    Has others too just as funny.
    The one about the pensioner who legs it from the home is mental.

pondo

I bought Frankie Boyle’s first book (“My Shit Life So Far”, I think it is?) on the back of seeing someone helplessly laughing out loud on a train reading it, and it had the same effect on me.

Have read a couple of Ffordes, think they funny and very clever if not quite laugh out loud material, funniest Milligan for me was the second one, “Rommel? Gunner Who?”. Recently read “Fighter Pilot” by Mac Tucker, and that had some genuine LOL moments, if he likes flying.

hodgynd
    Free Member

It must be 30+years since I read this book ..but I can remember laughing until my sides hurt in places ..must get another copy ..

David Niven ..’The Moon’s A Balloon’

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/5566958

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Properly funny books…anyone read anything lately?’ is closed to new replies.