Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Properly funny books…anyone read anything lately?
  • scud
    Free Member

Two funniest i’ve read in a long time..

“Look at me, Look at me” by Dom Joly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Look-ME-Dom-Joly/dp/0747577609

“War reporting for cowards” Chris Ayres

https://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Reporting-Cowards-Chris-Ayres/dp/0719560020

Cougar

So far he’s read all of Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, the Wilt books,and Douglas Adams.

Has he read all of Robert Rankin?

https://robert-rankin.myshopify.com/products/the-abominable-showman

ourmaninthenorth

Decline & Fall and Vile Bodies by Waugh (but may fall into the same Jacob Rees-Mogg assessment of Wodehouse above).

I’m currently reading The Sellout by Paul Beatty. Not sure TBH – biting satire, yes, but as laugh out loud as promised? No.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BillMC

‘Confessions of Zeno’ by Italo Svevo. Very funny book and the first chapter is just on giving up smoking, raw and hilarious. He was a mate/student of James Joyce.

lunge

It’s a touch niche, in that you need to like cricket, appreciate Aussie humour and ideally have played the game too, but if you fit those boxes the 2 books by The Grade Cricketer are absolutely hilarious.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Mrs MR is reading ‘A Short Gentleman’ by Jon Canter. I occasionally hear involuntary whooping laughter noises coming from the room when she’s reading it..

I plan to borrow and read it next as she has v keen sense of humour IMO so I stand half a chance of enjoying it. Thats my theory.

DezB
    Free Member

Chuck Palahniuk’s short story book “Make Something Up” had me laughing more than any other book I can remember. Utter genius.

scoob67
    Free Member

My shit life so far – Frankie Boyle. As mentioned before. Last book I laughed out at.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

For laugh out loud, When You Dead, You Dead, Guy Martin.

theotherjonv

on the recommendation of flaperon I downloaded Adam Kay – This is Going to Hurt. About being a junior doctor in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (aka Brats and Tw*ts – yes I know SFA but it has to be allowed here)

Started last night. Thanks to the great forum upgrade and no other way to waste time of conference calls, I finished it earlier today.

I also cried, laughed and cried some more. And also boaked a bit at decapitated Fireman Sam.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Don’t know about my brother, but my Christmas list is looking pretty good now.

binners

Both dark, twisted and really bloody funny….

BillMC

Pondo, great recommendation. The Boyle book turned up yesterday and I couldn’t put it down for 100 pages, very funny indeed.

pondo

Ace, glad you like! 🙂 Not been fussed about his other books I’ve tried but I thought that one was just great. 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

OK, Boyle book on order. Thanks for the tip. I’ve just read that Misadventures Beyond The Sound Barrier book recommended up there ^ I like flying stuff. Dint make me laugh but devoured it swiftly so very readable.

shinton
    Free Member

I think a few of us are stretching the ‘lately’ part of the original question so I’ll chip in with The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle. Most people know The Commitments from the film, but The Van and The Snapper are also very entertaining if you have ever spent any time in Dublin.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Properly funny books…anyone read anything lately?’ is closed to new replies.