Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • Private Chat Forum, members only
  • stgeorge

A sad day, been here a few years , sometimes pay when can afford it, sometimes not. Paper and digital copy.

Money counts eh lads and lasses

Private members only

Cougar

That’s generally how commercial businesses work, yes. I went to Tesco yesterday and the bastards were only offering milk to people willing to pay for it.

Ambrose

I didn’t even know it is a thing.

bruneep

1st rule of private chat forum…………….

tomhoward

Wait till you find out about the secret Facebook group.

I’ve said too much…

zilog6128

check out the thread where we rate all the free loaders members 🤣

dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve said too much…

Novichok-laced energy bars for you…

stgeorge

That’s generally how commercial businesses work, yes

Sorry, I didn’t realise the forum was a money making commercial business.

My bad

dannyh
    Free Member

If it is a Private Members Club, will I get a free lap dance from Cougar, Drac or one of the secret mods if I join?

sc-xc

You can join for about 7o a day 🙄

Cougar

There isn’t a “private members” forum, there is a members forum. It is currently in beta and mostly consists of half a dozen “testing” threads along with discussions which will be of massive importance interest to non-members such as feedback on the latest issue (which they don’t have) and questions about users’ subscriptions (which they don’t have).

It went live a couple of days ago. It’s linked from the Forum Overview page (which I almost never use so I tripped over it by complete chance shortly after it appeared) and by an extra handshake icon at the bottom of the left menu bar. This is a stopgap fix because as I said, it’s a beta test. It might go away again tomorrow.

mogrim

2.50GBP/month, so that’s less than half a London pint. And you get a free, secret forum!!!

(and get to read the full reviews, a digital copy of the mag, etc.).

My bad

Well, now you know. Mark &co. don’t just do it for love. It’s almost like it’s a business to them O_O

Cougar

Gosh. How can you’ve been here ten years and not realised? That’s a problem in itself and one I’ll stick under the owner’s nose.

Singletrack is a primarily a magazine / media publisher. They have a real bricks ‘n’ mortar office and employ maybe a dozen staff. If no-one subscribes, buys magazines or merchandise, or clicks on the odd advert occasionally, the lights go out on the site and forum for good and they’re all off down to the job centre.

So yes, money very much does talk I’m afraid.

tomhoward

t’s almost like it’s a business to them

Those Lamborghini’s don’t pay for themselves, you know!

stgeorge

Well, now you know. Mark &co. don’t just do it for love. It’s almost like it’s a business to them O_O

Appreciate that for the the mag, yes. Forum no, initially done to promote the mag, then try and monetize it does irritate me somewhat. Particularly when forum costs are probably more than covered by members anyway

Drac

Particularly when forum costs are probably more than covered by members anyway

They’re not.

tomhoward

I assume you have the figures to back up that statement, and haven’t just pulled it out of the sky?

lister

I’ve had all sorts of help and advice on here for years. It costs £2.50 an month. If STW have the brazen nerve to make a small profit out of that £2.50 AND keep the forum running then hats off to them.

I’m really not sure what you’re complaining about stgeorge.

EDIT: I’m not convinced you’re a real saint either.

stgeorge

They’re not.

I think you must be doing something wrong, really

onewheelgood

Yeah, but wait till you find out about the really secret Facebook group.

stgeorge

I’m really not sure what you’re complaining about stgeorge.

Not complaining, just sad, £30 a year some people can’t afford, and to be marginalised for being cash poor is sad.

Poopscoop

The digital sub is £20 mate, if that helps?

stgeorge

Yeah, but wait till you find out about the really secret Facebook group

Come on, everyone knows facebook is old school. TikTok for the win

stgeorge

EDIT: I’m not convinced you’re a real saint either.

No way, just the road I used to live in 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

marginalised for being cash poor is sad

Relax and carry on as you are.  I predict that a forum for a subset of the membership is not going to take off.  In fact I have 20p on it

grum
    Free Member

I don’t care about the members chat but the click through ads are a bit much. I used to subscribe but then the website became pretty much unusable and the owners were grumpy and uninterested.

If I subscribe again does it stop the website going down all the time?

lister

If I subscribe again does it stop the website going down all the time?

It’s worked well, without ads, since I subscribed a couple of years ago.
    No complaints here.

sc-xc

Appreciate that for the the mag, yes. Forum no, initially done to promote the mag, then try and monetize it does irritate me somewhat. Particularly when forum costs are probably more than covered by members anyway

Your £0 per month contribution probably doesn’t stretch as far as you think…

bearnecessities

Lamborghini’s

Uh-oh.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The secret forum has been a thing from the beginning.

Just no-one thought they’d be daft enough to try it (again, allegedly)

I used to subscribe but then the website became pretty much unusable and the owners were grumpy and uninterested.

Awaits the banhammer….

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Is it just me and a few who realise that everything that you might want to legally have, enjoy or partake of ultimately costs money?

I’ve had the odd moan about the site when things change and I don’t like it but for what I get from the forum (mostly), the magazine (somewhat) and the collective wisdom here it’s worth what little they ask.

The days of making money just from a magazine with adverts are dying fast and hence the number of magazines is dying too. They have to do new stuff and find new ways to make money as love don’t pay the wages or pay the internet bills for forums.

Makes me sound like a defender of the team, I guess I am in this instance, but they do a cracking job with little so either put up, cough up and go to another “free” forum, complain there and see how that goes perhaps?

somafunk

Probably the only members lounge that captainflashheart can’t waltz into

Cougar

Forum no, initially done to promote the mag, then try and monetize it does irritate me somewhat.

They’re not trying to “monetise the forum” (aside from the advertising which has existed longer than I’ve been here), they’re providing a space where members can discuss things of absolutely no relevance to non-members, such as “my magazine hasn’t arrived”. Which I’ve just explained once.

The only way a members-only forum would monetise anything is FOMO.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No.

I think you must be doing something wrong, really

Tell you what. If you know better than a company that’s been doing it for over a decade, why not go set up your own forum doing it ‘right’. You’ll be rich!

to be marginalised for being cash poor is sad.

Oh don’t be melodramatic. You don’t get the magazine delivered either, or access to exclusive content, or well any of the other reasons people actually subscribe to the site in the first place, and this has been the case since the forum was in orange. Why are you complaining now all of a sudden?

My local gym won’t let me use their treadmill so I’m being marginalised! Of course, I’m not a member, I’m just being discriminated against!

Cougar

Wait a minute.

“St George”…

Complains about not receiving member benefits from a club he used to be a member of but isn’t any longer and feels like he’s being punished…

We’ve seen this movie before, haven’t we boys and girls.

Mark

🙂 LIKE

Cougar

Sod off you and get that button implemented.

firestarter
    Free Member

Are the classifieds any better on the paid for bit , if so I might join again

Cougar

And yet, here everyone is, rather than anywhere better.

Odd, that.

funkmasterp

Not complaining, just sad, £30 a year some people can’t afford, and to be marginalised for being cash poor is sad.

This thread again! It’s like £2 a month to be a member of this ace little community. I have two kids, a stay at home mum in Mrs F, a mortgage for a broken house and a job that doesn’t pay loads. Even I can afford £2 a month FFS.

If you like hanging out here and want this community to continue to thrive then pay up. If not, go join Twitter or something. If you’re genuinely that poor then consider getting rid of whatever it is your typing your posts on. If I were that strapped for cash a mobile phone contract or internet connection would be one of the first things to go.

white101

I’ve got no idea how many years Ive subscribed, not the whole shebang that’s for sure but probably 12+ out of the twenty. I was around not long after the website launched and have ‘used’ it been part of it and enjoyed it since. I will continue to do so as long as I am able private chat or otherwise. It’s part of the cycling business and cycling community and to exist in both it needs to be a business.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Private Chat Forum, members only’ is closed to new replies.