Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)
  • Prince dead at 57
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Glad you apologised, lets all move on.
    you are not bullied the daft things you say are challenged.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Eric Claptons view from 36:10 in :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009mdm4

“Reincarnation of Little Richard, Jimi Hendrix andf James Brown in one”, “I think he’s a genius, musically he’s a genius”

johnx2
    Free Member

People love over egging dead peoples influence, on the news last night they compared him to Hendrix. So he was both Hendrix and Miles Davis, yeah right

Let’s not go crazy. Hang on, you can roll your eyes but – not to take anything away from Hendrix who I’d also see as from jazz – Prince’s influence was wide and deep, as a songwriter, producer, collaborator etc etc (I was going to say actor – shame he was never cast in dinner ladies – but nah). Most of what’s been posted is tuneful pop/rock which is absolutely fair enough but his dance stuff was pretty good and fwiw influential: Check out the ballad of dorothy parker and strange relationship from this julio bashmore mix

konabunny
    Free Member

Surprised Eric Clapton was so complimentary given his Griffinesque political views…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Shame another great and talented musician who changed the world

Is that so ?

Basically if you say idiotic things then folk will say you are an idiot.

😆

AlexSimon

Enjoying this mix at the moment:

MrWoppit
    Free Member

My most memorable Prince moment was, to the tune of “Little Nicky”, up in my room on a summer’s afternoon with the blinds drawn and the stereo on full blast, thoroughly investigating the meaning of the word “grind” with Leonie…

DezB
    Free Member

“Little Nicky”

‘Darling Nikky’ actually, but I can understand the error on your part 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Oops.

edlong
    Free Member

If we’re going for accuracy, it’s “Darling Nikki”

Drac

My most memorable Prince moment was, to the tune of “Little Nicky”,

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Que?

sergethesealofdeath
    Free Member

You mean darling Nicky?

Massive Prince fan, saw him in 2006 and 2014.

Own about 15 albums!

Kryton57

I just showed my 7yo son the live Purple Rain vid – he was first blown away, then asked “which country is he a Prince in Daddy?” To which my reply was “the whole world son, the whole world”. His face in awe was a picture, but suitable for the occasion.

Classic.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“Little Nicky”

Confused with Leonie’s comments? 😉

martinhutch

ust listening to Radio 2 and they are playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps which had Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and others playing tribute to George Harrison. Then Prince comes on and blows all that talent away with is his guitar solo.

Not heard that before. Thanks for posting it up.

djflexure

§Loved Prince too.

My favourite memory: preseason rugby training circa 1990, fell running in the Lakes with ghetto blaster strapped on and Prince blaring out over Great Gable.

DezB
    Free Member

Then Prince comes on and blows all that talent away with is his guitar solo. Yet some cretins say he had no talent

Not a big fan of guitar solos, but man, he could play. Could no doubt dance a lot better than the rest in that clip too!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“While My Guitar Gently Weeps” is one of the shittest song titles ever.

DezB
    Free Member

I think you’ve missed the point double d.

djflexure

Great video though – what a Gunslinger (special request – can that be my forum title please) – I don’t think he blows them away; more Laurel and Hardy from where I’m sitting.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think you’ve missed the point double

No, no, I watched the video and he was an awesome musician but I already knew that. I just hate that song title. Just wanted to say. 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

In music top trumps Prince would be the best card to have.

Songwriting 100
    Stagecraft 100
    Musicianship100
    Star quality100
    etc

8)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Don’t forget dancing, and a lot of the time in high heels as well!

seavers
    Free Member

ctk
    Free Member

Saw him at the 02 and he was absolutely effing amazing. The whole crowd in the palm of his hand. Felt like anything could happen. We started walking out after the 3rd encore and found ourselves right at the front as he came on for his forth. 8)

When Doves Cry is my fave I think.

deadkenny
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” is one of the shittest song titles ever.

Well, it was George Harrison who wrote it 😛 (though a good song).

Not going down the Bowie comparison road too much other than right when it was announced I think it was Sky doing comparisons to Bowie. My first thought was “Prince is like Bowie? Really?”. They argue that a little themselves.

To be honest as a kid I never got into Prince. Was way more of a Bowie and Queen fan. These days though I have to say there are a bunch of Prince songs I do really like. Purple Rain is the one I love the most. Then there loads that are of no real interest to me. Still though, his contribution to the industry, wide variety of styles, depth of songwriting including for others, made him the star that he is, and will be sadly missed. I could write the same about Bowie.

djflexure

EDIT: on rematching (several times) he did blow them away.

leffeboy

EDIT: on rematching (several times) he did blow them away.

Yep. I remember it from last time it was posted up here and everyone else is pedestrian in comparison

stevestunts
    Free Member

This is quite something…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHaFj7gOWh4[/video]

Michael Jackson implores James Brown to get you up on stage. You get up there, take a guitar off one of his band, chuck your coat off and don’t really do much, but what you do, you do in an incredibly saucy way. When you’ve had enough, you simply walk off stage at your leisure, with James Brown chasing after you to make sure you don’t leave your coat behind.

That wouldn’t be a bad night out, would it?

DezB
    Free Member

Prince had to be high in that clip! 😀 marvellous stuff though.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Prince’s post Mortem will be performed this morning. At least we’ll finally get to find out if that rib was removed…

Still too soon?

johnx2
    Free Member

simply walk off stage at your leisure, with James Brown chasing after you to make sure you don’t leave your coat behind.

That’s a great clip, particularly for the way he accidentally takes the lamppost with him…

I like the way he’s dressed so casual too. I’ve a coat like that I wear to the pub.

colournoise

Listened to Prince a lot around Sign o’ the Times (a bit incongruously as I was a dyed in the wool goth at the time) but he’s faded from my radar since then. Amazing, amazing creativity and musicianship.

The stuff from 2m30s in this clip blows me away every time. I’m not a guitarist so no idea how technical or difficult it is (if at all), but I can think of very few other examples where the instrument sings so wonderfully. Awesome.

http://www.jukebo.com/prince/music-clip,i-could-never-take-the-place-of-your-man,qxr8qm.html

For me, just as influential as Bowie but in different areas. Bowie was a cultural icon, Prince a musical one. The world is way poorer without the two of them, but at least they left stuff behind for us to marvel at.

chakaping
    Free Member

The greatest musician and showman I ever saw live, staggeringly talented individual.

I love how his 1980s hits are so of the era, but so unique.

I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man is a six-and-a-half-minute perfect pop song – and it’s got a two-minute breakdown in the middle! And when it kicks back in is one of the most glorious moments in music.

Little Red Corvette and Alphabet Street are also right up there with anything else that dares to call itself a pop record.

His name was Prince. And he was funky.

😥

chakaping
    Free Member

Prince had to be high in that clip!

Just watched this now.

He’s certainly feeling the funk, that’s for sure.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDwTJQuB_WI[/video]

AlexSimon

Some interesting tracks played by Gilles Peterson on Saturday:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b078djcv#play

slimjim78
    Free Member

Man, I’m slightly crestfallen having ridden the roller coaster ride of Prince vids on YouTube for the last few days only to come across his slightly disturbing illuminati conspiracy views with blatant racist moments..
    But then I watch that vid above owning the James Brown gig, and another where he slams Jacko, Maddonna and the Kardashians and I realise he was just fruit of the loom – but mostly in a good way.
    On a performance level alone, surely up there with the all time best ever.

That link on first page of his solo at the George Harrison tribute gig – I just can’t believe how great this guy was. Absolutely incredible performance.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Very good tribute show on radio 1 by Benji B, who is a major Prince fan :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07854fr#play&in=collection:p03rv4s5

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Prince dead at 57’ is closed to new replies.