Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)
  • Prince dead at 57
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just watching runs of his videos on MTV. Reminded of how visually stunning so much of his stuff was back in the 80s. He was a hell of a dancer too. 🙂

CHB

If the band suggested above is formed in “heaven” then I imagine Terry Wogan will give disparaging Eurovision style commentary as they play.

The Queen should be playing Purple Reign from the balcony in respect.

geoffj

Such a talent + Sheena Easton – lucky bastard! Too young to die RIP

Sandwich

US rumour sites are hinting he ‘died of a big disease with a little name’ having foresworn the drugs because his religious ‘friends’ told him he was cured.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Whilst I think Jambalaya comment was stupid, he/she(don’t know if he’s a she or a he) is entitled to their view after all that what a forum is for to express ones self perhaps he/she is upset…

Raspberry beret one of my favourite songs…

seavers
    Free Member

RIP Prince. Amazing talent gone all too soon.

My fave clip of him.

[video]https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y[/video]

TheFopster
    Free Member

I have often thought that the word genius gets thrown around without adequate regard, and that what people actually mean is “talented”. That said, on my personal list of contemporary musical genii Prince is number 1 and Bowie 2. A monumentally crap year on that score. RIP to both.

Harry_the_Spider

Another sad loss. Whilst I can’t claim to be his biggest fan just listening to his music this evening underlined that he provided the soundtrack to a big chunk of my youth.

jambalaya – Member

RIP. Saw reports a few minutes ago.!Some losses are greater than others however, hardly Bowie

You are an idiot.

johndoh
    Free Member

Sign of te Times (On the Peel show). It was so weird and brilliant. One of my all time fave songs.

Same here. The lyrics make me stop and listen every time.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Really sad news, Little Red Corvette was the first tune I actually recall any memory of hearing from way back when I was 3 and my parents had it on endless rewind! I did’t mind though, one of so many truely classic songs of his.

gordimhor

Very talented and original artiste R.I.P

dgb1
    Free Member

I heard this earlier on – shocking, RIP. Far too many talented musicians and actors taken from us in 2016.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

He was different to Bowie but could be regarded as just as influential

It’s an interesting one.

Bowie had a career which started in ’67 & Prince in ’78 – both did their last work in the last 12 months.

As influential? I’m not sure of that – an influence most definitely.

A very respectful RIP & I am shocked to hear it, but to be revered in the same way as Bowie? I don’t think so, I am much to my amazement in agreement with Jamba. Prince was an icon but he wasn’t Bowie.

FYI – I’m a fan of neither, my biggest music shock of the last decade was hearing about Joe Strummers death. So you know where my musical allegiances lie.

twistedpencil

Prince was massively influential, just maybe not in the musical worlds that Jamba and mrlewboski frequent, and that’s okay just remember it’s not a pissing contest and Jamba’s post was poorly timed at best. Feeling very hollow right now, RIP Prince.

scotroutes

Bugger

Same age as me too. That seems to increase the impact.

pondo

(the “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” vid)

Too. Frickin. Cool.

jambalaya
    Free Member

He made 39 albums, 2 of which I have heard. How many people here have heard the other 37 ? The most notable thing he did imho was try and get out of the contract he signed with Sony and change his name to try a be a pita. Not my cup of tea musically at all and if people are really honest in the last 30 yeara there have been many more important artists

slackalice
    Free Member

Do you know what @jamba? On the whole, your trolling over the years has been quite amusing, just to wind up the general consensus.

Your input in this thread however, displays no class and seems like you’re now trying too hard. 0/10.

DrJ

I am shocked to hear it, but to be revered in the same way as Bowie? I don’t think so, I am much to my amazement in agreement with Jamba. Prince was an icon but he wasn’t Bowie.

The issue wasn’t this, or whose dad is bigger. It was whether it was an appropriate comment for page 1 of a topic about the death of someone.

senorj

Very poor crack.
    The link that welshfarmer put up on the first page has just given me goose bumps.
    ta for that welsh farmer.

duckman

I was never originally a fan…Back in the day when I was a hairy arsed builder, ” big Rab” who WAS a fan got dumped and had a spare ticket. We used to slag him off ( behind his back) about liking Prince. I went along to Celtic park and just wow! Been following him since,not always my bag; but a genius and one of the best live gigs I have ever been to,and I have seen a lot!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

57 is no age – I almost regret not liking his music but cest la vie.

Far, far too young….

jam-bo

Well if you want prince overload then radio 6 is for you today..

BoardinBob

Jambalaya – Member
    He made 39 albums, 2 of which I have heard

Yes, but we could write down everything you know on the back of a postage stamp that’s been torn in half…

yunki
    Free Member

The dude had funk and soul in buckets.. Neither he nor Bowie were ever on my radar as they were too mainstream for my sadly uncultured tastes but when you listen back to either it’s plain to see that they were extremely creative talents who gave a lot of themselves to the world..

Most guys that I know and respect in the industry rate these two musicians very highly for their contributions..

I wish that I’d had the nous to get into them at a younger age as I’m certain I would have found it easier to relate to some very interesting girls..
    I would say the similarities between Bowie and Prince are way more striking than a difference in ability.. Their interpretation of androgyny, poetry and musical experimentation within the sphere of popular culture and hung on the framework of their different cultural backgrounds made them too risky for some but that was their appeal..

True greats

🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Comparing their ‘ability’ (??) is mind bogglingly ignorant but I suspect that jambatroll is very aware of that

AlexSimon

Stunned at this news.
    I’m not sure there’s ever been anyone capable of producing such pure musical electricity.

Huge influence on the direction of my musical tastes as a teenager. I really felt like there was another great album around the corner. Very sad.

Coyote
    Free Member

I would say the similarities between Bowie and Prince are way more striking than a difference in ability.. Their interpretation of androgyny, poetry and musical experimentation within the sphere of popular culture and hung on the framework of their different cultural backgrounds made them too risky for some but that was their appeal..

True greats

Excellent words.

In my opinion he was the most naturally gifted musician of his generation. Must have been humbling being in his band knowing that it was highly likely he could play your instrument of choice better than you could. RIP dude.

AlexSimon

Wow – just listened to that video welshfarmer posted.

That Skinny **** With The High Voice

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yep that Purple Rain video is outstanding. Jaw dropping stuff.

This is one of my favourites, just for the showmanship and how rad he was. Electric Chair from the Batman soundstrack, gold shirt, brilliant dirty lyrics and just so cool.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDE3ODk3Mzky.html

Junkyard
    Free Member

He made 39 albums, 2 of which I have heard. How many people here have heard the other 37 ? The most notable thing he did imho was try and get out of the contract he signed with Sony and change his name to try a be a pita. Not my cup of tea musically at all and if people are really honest in the last 30 yeara there have been many more important artists

Quite possibly the most touching eulogy I have ever read

Wipes tears from his eyes

As others have said you have to be just being an attention seeking troll on this. Its pretty sad, for you, and in general.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Only last week I bought his Greatest Hits album… I was a bit pissed off as it cost 25 quid…

But tonight I’m gonna party like it was £19.99.

RIP

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, last night I nearly posted something against the STW online bullying of jambalaya! Then he goes and follows up his first stupid post! Get stuck in chaps!

He made 39 albums, 2 of which I have heard. How many people here have heard the other 37 ?
    Just checked and I have 5 Prince albums on vinyl, 1 on CD and 2 more digitally. And they are probably different ones from other people.

Anther thing – if somebody dies and you don’t appreciate them, why is it so hard to shut the **** up and stay off the thread?? I did when an actor I didn’t like died. It wasn’t even an effort to restrain myself!

Junkyard
    Free Member

STW online bullying of jambalaya!

Please lets not portray him as the victim- though of course he does want it to be about him – and he will deny this [ but a simply apology would have stopped this instead he fanned the flames].

His views are ridiculed by almost everyone.
    That isn’t bullying its the consequences of him writing things like this and things that are at odds with the facts.

Basically if you say idiotic things then folk will say you are an idiot.
    If you say mean and insensitive things then folk will call you out for that – especially in a thread about the person death.
    He knew what he was doing and it worked.

johnx2
    Free Member

But tonight I’m gonna party like it was £19.99.

RIP

Rest In Purple?

Little red cortege…

Ah come on I’m trying. This one’s shocked me more than all the others for some reason. Someone on R4 compared him to Miles Davis and I think that’s right. One of those american magic band leaders from another planet, like Su Ra, James Brown… Made of music, his idea of winding down after a two hour concert was a three hour after-party gig. Just the sight of him in the 80s with female guitarists and drummers – Sheila E – mixture of races, ambiguous but copious sexuality was quite something at the time and in retrospect really something. I could go on. And yet I never bought much of his music and never went to see him (gutted about the latter and rather selfishly my first thought on hearing yesterday, was that my wife won’t let me hear the end of this after i wasn’t that keen on seeing him at the 02.) Bollocks eh?

Klunk
    Free Member

corny but seems somehow appropriate

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZCiHsIfrOg[/video]

hit the US number one spot on April 21st 1990.

dragon
    Free Member

Someone on R4 compared him to Miles Davis and I think that’s right.

People love over egging dead peoples influence, on the news last night they compared him to Hendrix. So he was both Hendrix and Miles Davis, yeah right 🙄

craigxxl
    Free Member

Just listening to Radio 2 and they are playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps which had Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and others playing tribute to George Harrison. Then Prince comes on and blows all that talent away with is his guitar solo. Yet some cretins say he had no talent 😯

[video]https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

but a simply apology

Yes agreed, what I posted wasn’t appropriate on the day of his death. So I apologise.

As for the online “bullying” as I have said before it doesn’t bother me at all, never reported anyone for anything. Different places have different vibes, this is just the modus operandi for STW.

As an aside I apologised on here to @dd as he said I have used the specific word “primitive” to describe Ireland. To be honest I didn’t remember using that word (he said I had) and I have used a number of search engines to try and track down where I may have and nothing was returned.

I am sure everyone has seen the stories about suspected drug related death, this is a bit surprising to me as as a Jehovah’s Witness he would not even have surgery on his hip (they won’t allow blood transfusions something I discussed at length with some JW neighbours who said they would allow their kids to die rather than have surgery). So to take a drug overdose would be very much against his beliefs.

DezB
    Free Member

His views are ridiculed by almost everyone.

I obviously don’t read enough of this place to notice these things! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘Prince dead at 57’ is closed to new replies.