Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Post a pic of your OLD bike…!
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, not current retro build, but what you used to ride…. 🙂

Gotta be pre-1995 I think. 🙂

I just uploaded some old scanned pics from 1993 –

My Brother's GT Tequesta, with Shocktec forks that had a habit of letting the steerer pull out of the crown when you tightened the headset

My '93 Lava Dome (Frame replaced a cracked black 1991 Cinder Cone) Check that stem out! Suntour XC Ltd drivetrain. Lasted forever did that!

Over to you 🙂

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I wasn't riding in 1995.
    🙁

juan
    Free Member

First mtb.
    Decathlon rockrider 740.

nuke

No pics fully built but this is my pre-1995 bike (currently in the garage in bits)…

Did have a GT Tequesta…it was in a lovely cloudy coloured blue with matching stem.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

See that sticker on the bars? Malverns Classic 1993….. 🙂

EDIT
    Holy crap! I was using ano alloy stem bolts!

Olly
    Free Member

PHAT

oldgit
    Free Member

Me up front about 1976 on a Reg Barnett, my mates behind on a Roy Thame. Racing for Kenton RC. Taken going over Ivinghoe Beacon during a 36 mile 2 up TT.

oldgit
    Free Member

Wearing my school jumper under my club jersey, life was a lot simpler in black and white.

Trekster

My first off-road bike
    The link will take you to a pic of a bike I used for my first adult off-road experience. It was followed by a Raliegh Marauder, a Raliegh M-Trax, my sone Trek 8000 and then my Bontrager which I have used weekly until just recently-16yrs!!!. Currently needing a new bb shell.

Living in the country I used to cycle off-road all during my childhood using anything from a ss to sturmey archer 3sp.

So like many of my generation this new niche ss thing aint so niche 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

I'm on the left, not the rider I hasten to add (the lack of standover clearance would be too much 😉 ).

oldgit
    Free Member

Indeed Trekster, we were also riding singlespeeds through the woods on the early seventies. Ours evolved from cycle speedway bikes of old and inspiration came from American Motocross mags.
    I've got some old pics of my steel framed bike with rigid straight forks, Canadian cowhorns, knobbly tyres and single cog. I'm wearing a genuine UCLA tee shirt from 1975 that my mum bought in the states to date the pics. I'll have to get them scanned.
    You could say we've been singlespeeding for the last 35 years.

Bumhands
    Free Member

Had this Aero Pro Burner from new as a kid – it was my pride and joy.
    After the 80's it lay rusting in my parents shed for many years.
    After some serious brillo pad action it came up and became my mode of transport again at University.

It went to the tip 3 years ago.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Trekster – Is it my imagination or does that Rudge's seat tube extend past the BB?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

My old Peugeot Elan 24 years old and currently being restored into a fixed wheel.

oldgit
    Free Member

This is bringing back memories. I'm using Nigel Deans (you have to be old to remember him) old racing wheels in that pic.

And Trekster my old LBS Birds of Colindale used to custom build those dirt/cross/speedway bikes back when I was at school.

Cheers PP

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The original Mk1, Denton frame, Tange Prestige.

Mk2, geometry changed among other stuff.

Mk3, more fresh bits.

Mk4, same frame but can you spot the difference?

Mk5, the scruffy look. Still the same frame.

Mk6, the way it is now except it's now got RC 41's on & M4 brakes. Triggers brush doesn't even get near!

Surfr
    Free Member

Rocking the rod brakes!

Rad to the power of MAX

I had a Cargo bike waaay before they got cool

The GNAR got so intense, I needed a full face helmet

First MTB 1990 Ridgeback 600 SIS

Trekster

oldgityou were privileged!
    I am going back 40 odd yrs.
    no tv or car till we were in our teens, only bus was on a Sat, everything was a hand-me-down, relyed on teh butchers/fish/grocery vans for food,did`nt own a camera until I was into my 20s, only pics of a young me/family are old school pics etc.

peterpoddy Yes if I recall correctly that is where it hinged, it is a folder. Wife bought me it when she passed her driving test, was pregnant and needed/wanted the car, 29yrs ago ❗

oldgit
    Free Member

Talking of Triggers broom.
    1976'ish Don Farrel cross frame with components spanning four decades. Remember L&M chainsets?
    Had it powder coated just prior to this pic being taken and it snapped a month later. 😥

robdob
    Free Member

That's my Tequesta in the OP. I LOVED that bike. Bear in mind I was only 16 or so, it was a lot of cash. I had a Mavic needle bearing headset on that bad boy. Those shocktech forks were a UK brand, my first bouncy forks. And yes, the steerer did pull out of the forks!!!
    I carried that bike (32lbs????) up Helvellyn when I was 16 just so I could ride down again. Did it again on my Pitch last year and it seemed a lot harder!!

Happy days….

RestlessNative
    Free Member

that Tequesta is cool!

starts fantasising about retro bike…

organic355
    Free Member

I had one like this:

uplink
    Free Member

Olly
    Free Member

lol @ uplink

aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

my first bike (although not this one no pic)

robdob
    Free Member

lol @ uplink

LOL! +1

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well done Uplink, but it's not old enough… 😉

whippersnapper
    Free Member

PP – loving the old Lava Dome, that was my first proper mtb.

My current 'old ' Kona, '95 Explosif Racelite

druidh
    Free Member

Sold to someone on STW classifieds….

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Me on my old Falcon Pro BMX circa 1984. A right heavy pile of cromo shit but chuckable.

Halcyon days!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

+2 lol @ uplink..

And as for rumbledthumps… erm. Holy-crap-o-la! Kids them days either had no sense, or nerves of steel. I'd hate to see the risk assesment for that one.. 😉

*thinks* …oh I was a kid in them days. We did used to do some stupid stuff..

alexathome
    Free Member

Hey rumblethumps i call SNAP! must have been something about the Falcon Pro that made you feel like you could jump off/over things/people. Maybe it was the 40lbs weight, or the blue mag wheels, who knows! I loved that bike!

thefettler
    Free Member

My last race bike 🙁

95 cecil walker custom,still got it & tarted it up a few years ago.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

@Alexathome

Cheers. Thats a fantastic pic of you mate. Great expression! And yes, great bikes. I think it was BMX Bandits and watching ET and seeing Elliots Kuwahara that made me get a BMX.

@ no_eyed_dear

Good old days, just going out there and riding. I used to regularly hit trees and faceplant the road (without a helmet??!!!!) then nip to the shop for a texan bar to numb the pain.

I now worry about my 7 year old boy on his Trek and its 20 times the quality and strength of my old bikes back in the day. We are health and safety mad these days with our kids! It ridiculous!

soma_rich
    Free Member

1991 Muddyfox Pathfinder still used all the time. Its been a full on mountain bike a winter training bike a tourer a tag-a-long and a shopper.

Reluctant
    Free Member

My Overburys Pie & Ear, 1991. Gurt lush 'e wuz.

Dunno why I looked so effing miserable!

damion
    Free Member

Sorry, I've only got pics as far back as 98, first bike that ever fitted me propperly, thanks to leisure lakes getting hold of a 14.5" Zaskar for me. I never did get a picture if my first mtb, an Orange O2.

allyharp

My old Fire Mountain a few days before someone made off with it. Got me into biking but I don't think it had ever been more than 20 miles from home!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I had a falcon pro "back in the day" when I raced for Tamworth crusaders.

Oh the memories…

Not mine but exactly the same

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

As rediscovered in my dad's shed last year. I do have some photos of it in its 'prime' (not quite the right word lol) but I'm not sure where they are right now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Post a pic of your OLD bike…!’ is closed to new replies.