Home Forums Chat Forum Porridge, your toppings or add-ons.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Porridge, your toppings or add-ons.
  • redthunder
    Free Member

My recipe… cap full of oats, milk and a couple of minutes in the microwave.

Then the best bit what topping or even cooked with.

Frozen Blackberries (picked earlier in the year) chucked in. Purple Haze.

Couple of Peach slices (cooked all in) three slices, just tried this today. Nice.

Last bit of whisky drippd on porridge after cooking….dont want to get in this habit.

Nutella or Nuteka Lidl

Instant Coffee (if your in a rush)

Many more, I’m sure…..

Whats yours ?

ElShalimo

I chuck raisins or sultanas in whilst it’s heating up

Then add banana chunks, seeds and if I’m feeling decadent some honey

ThePilot
    Free Member

Jumbo oats, water, salt, mixed fruit, mixed spice. Put it on the lowest setting on the hob and leave it for five, ten minutes. Add a splash of oat milk and a drizzle of maple syrup once it is in the bowl. If you’re feeling decadent add a square of dark chocolate in at the cooking phase.

alcolepone
    Free Member

Peanut butter

Honey

Raisins

Chinnimon

Perfection!

redthunder
    Free Member

Mmmm… Peanut Butter
    Next on the list.

Tracey

Sliced banana is the favorite
    Golden Syrup
    Fresh blueberrys

avdave2

100g oats

320ml water

20g raisins

2 tsp sunflower seeds, wheat bran
    1 tsp of pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, linseed, sesame seeds, instant coffee.
    pinch of ginger, cinnamon
    all in a coffee grinder then mixed in with above and put in the fridge overnight.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Fresh Blueberrys & a big spoonful of honey here.

tuboflard

Definitely salt in the mix to start. Then just golden syrup. Keep it simple.

devash
    Free Member

Maple syrup or golden syrup only. I need a quick and dirty sugar hit first thing in the morning.

retrorick

Just a few sultanas for my porridge. I might try some of the suggestions above but my aim is trying and avoid all the sugary stuff.

alchiltern
    Free Member

Plenty of chopped up crystallised stem ginger, handfull of toasted nuts and seeds.

Chopped apple, maple suyrup and cinnamon.

Hungry again…

CheesybeanZ

Sliced banana and walnut bits . 😋

gallowayboy

Banana and golden syrup. Occasionally some brambles/blaeberries/blackcurrants.
    Used to make my mum roll her eyes – she was “a bit of salt and milk anything else is pudding”

joebristol

I just try to make mine fairly low calorie but filling.

I put in 60 grams of oats and mostly water. 2 mins in the microwave then add a splash of milk – maybe 20-30ml. 1 more min in the microwave.

5 grams of sultanas go in at the start as a token gesture.

I then use skinny food co zero calorie breakfast syrups to flavour. I think the salted caramel is the best but I try to buy what’s on offer as it’s a bit pricey otherwise. Used butterscotch, golden syrup, maple syrup and all of those were ok.

Gingerbread was disgusting with a floral sort of taste. There’s also a bright pink one – I forget the flavour but it was a bit like medicine.

zippykona

We have tons of red currants from the garden.
    Put them in porridge with some honey. Bloody lovely

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Big flake scotch porridge oats, milk, golden syrup, raisins, bit of nutmeg chucked into a bowl then on the hob. Halfway through put some fresh blueberries, sliced strawberries and raspberries. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Transfer to a bowl then a bit of yogurt on top. Lush

dufresneorama
    Free Member

More porridge.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Scottish oats, generous sprinkle of dried mixed fruit / raisins / sultanas, slice up a few dried apricots, teaspoon of dark brown sugar, add cold milk and stir so sugar blends into the milk.

If it’s chilly, I’ll heat the milk.

Sometimes I’ll add mango pulp instead of the sugar for a few days, having opened a big tin.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Sometimes cashew nut butter, sometimes candied pineapple chunks and dessicated coconut, sometimes banana and juicy dates. Mostly with a dollop of natural yoghourt.

If I can be bothered to salt it and soak it overnight it is good on its own though.

tonyd

Best thread in ages! Once it’s cooked I’ll add fresh blueberries, halved to let the juice out. If you’re feeling particularly flush the M&S ones are massive, almost the size of grapes. Occasionally swap blueberries for raspberries or blackberries but not often. Then a combination of some of the following:

Walnuts
    Hazlenuts
    Sunflower seed
    Pumpkin seed
    Linseed
    Chia
    Sultanas
    Dried cranberry

Walnuts/hazlenuts are crushed in a pestle and mortar. By this point it’s looking a bit dry so I add a good splash of Maple Syrup to loosen it up a bit.

Generally end up with a very large breakfast that is very high in calories and fat (all good ones of course) so exercise is usually not far away!

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Smoked mackerel or a kipper is really good if you don’t have a sweet tooth.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Enough milk to cover oats. Big spoonful of cheapo chocy spread. 2 minutes in microwave. Ideally you can invert the dish when it’s done and nothing drops out.

redthunder
    Free Member

These are ace :)

….. but Kipper ?

Might try a tin of Sardines :)

reeksy

Cos I eat oats 99% of mornings I have a bit of a system.

1 cup of oats
    And a handful of my mix:
    Sultanas
    Dried apricots finely chopped
    Shredded (not dessicated) coconut
    Crushed nuts (rotate between walnuts /macadamia/almonds/hazelnuts)
    Sunflower kernels

Add some full fat milk

Stick it in the fridge overnight.

Homemade yoghurt on top of I can be arsed

Eat cold.

slowoldman

It varies but nuts, seeds, blackberries, cherries, strawberries, raspberries, banana, whatever is around. But always golden syrup on top.

beej

A spoon of Nutella, smashed up chocolate digestives and pieces of malt loaf.

bsims
    Free Member

Pretty much any fruit combination, sliced if large but at the moment my favourite is sliced apple with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

kormoran
    Free Member

Some pouring cream and a spoonful of single malt swirled in the top. It is frikkin amazing!

I got given it once in a B+B and made a double take, then thought, ok fair do’s lets give it a whirl.

Mind blown.

Now it’s a weekend or Christmas treat

redthunder
    Free Member

@kormoran
    Whisky in porridge is second to none.
    Teaspoon is enough….but I see going into a minture then worse. Crack I tell you, Crack!

Might try the cream though and fine Cognac ;-)… excuse to buy some.

redthunder
    Free Member

@bsims

I going to try appe and cinnamon tommorrow.

Looking at the tree now through the window, covered with apples.

Report tomorrow.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ah the twice yearly porridge thread.

Toast your oats beforehand, let the porridge stand for 5 minutes before eating. Those are my tips!

sillysilly
    Free Member

My standard:

1 part Oats to 2 parts High % Almond milk
    Almond butter
    Banana
    Blueberries
    Cacao nibs
    Maple syrup

Def trying adding whisky over Xmas now 😂

mrwhippy

Daily staple for me…

Banana
    Blueberries
    Sultanas
    Some grated root ginger mixed in whilst cooking.

Maybe a dab of honey on top, or a blob of peanut butter mixed in if I’ve got an active day (but then don’t bother with the ginger in that instance)

I wake up genuinely excited for breakfast most days.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Finely chopped crystallised ginger.
    Honey

sadexpunk

Is the whisky added before or after cooking?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Mmmm… Peanut Butter

Tried this a couple of years ago… Haven’t been able to stomach peanut butter since.

Cream is nice though when at a posh hotel, wouldn’t ever have it at home.
    If I’m feeling a bit indulgent then some sugar and coconut milk.
    Normally a bit of semi skimmed, 2min in micro then a handful of chopped fruit and nuts, whatever is in.

redthunder
    Free Member

@sadexpunk

After for me. When discovered it :-)

Amazing smell and taste.

I think an STW book could be from the above :-)

Keep them coming.

Sandwich

For a treat I’ll make the milk from a tin of condensed milk diluted down. Normal dab of salt and cook up then add cream and golden/maple syrup and enjoy.

The mix is for every 10g of oatmeal add 70ml of liquid and soak overnight before cooking in the microwave.

redthunder
    Free Member

Get a tin of coconut milk. Freeze on a tray. After freezing smash into chunks.

Grab a chunk from the freezer and throw in the porridge when cooking.

Nice!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.