• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • jameso

…is this the normal way for new Arkoses?

Yes, from 2017 onwards, new fork spec.

50mm width for the guards?

Might get a bit tight, depends on the tyres you’re using but 42-45mms fit better. Space for 50s though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

So no medium arkose 4s in till mid June? any chance they’ll be in sooner?

Also question on sizing, medium should be fine for me, eh? I’m comfortable on a 17.5″, 2011 core 40. (5′ 9/10ish”, 30″ inseam.) I tend to run it with saddle and bars pretty level no spacers and stem turned to the lowest way. I’d probably want to set the arkose up a similar way, ie relax as opposed to racey, arse in the air mentalness!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Another wee question here, say I did go for the 3(I do prefer the black), I think that’s a 48/32 on there, with 11-32. What’s the largest cassette that would take on the back? 32 the biggest?

Thinking of fully loaded bike backing duties here.

(an extension of this train of thought) https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/so-dipping-my-toes-into-this-adventure-road-malarky/#post-9945428

ransos
    Free Member

Also question on sizing, medium should be fine for me, eh?

I’m the same height as you and the medium was bang on when I tried it in the shop.

seosamh77
    Free Member

cool, cheers.

ross980
    Free Member

Last one..i promise. Has anyone fitted a drop seat post on their arkosy? model? internal or external? did you have to hack into the frame for the cable?

Ooo, I’m interested in this. I got the Arkose Alfine model last year; love it for road/BW/road rides from my door. But would like it even more with a dropper. Shame it’s 27.2mm, massively restricts the options

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Anyone gone full length cable outer for rear mech ?? …. mine seems to go through rear mech cables quite quick when the conditions are bad ?? …. tried different brands etc , but may just drill the stops out and go full outer

charliem
    Free Member

Another wee question here, say I did go for the 3(I do prefer the black), I think that’s a 48/32 on there, with 11-32. What’s the largest cassette that would take on the back? 32 the biggest?

Pretty much same measurements as you and went for a medium, absolutely love it. If you did get a 3 the new 105/ultegra can do 11-34, maybe the older 105 will too with a bit of fiddling? Otherwise could swap the mech out for an r8000 or get a roadlink.

mounse701
    Free Member

A few bits of Arkose info if anyone is after a bit of geek details.
    Building up a small Arkose 1 2017 frameset, so same frame as higher up Arkoses but carbon/alloy steerer forks.
    Frame weighs 1460g, forks uncut weigh 800g.
    Beautiful matt blue colour, well pleased.
    Converted a Fulcrum Red Power HP 27.5 front wheel from 15mm to 12mm with a Halo reducing sleeve and it fits perfectly.
    Specialized Fast Track Control 2″ tyres fit with no problem but may be a bit tight with loads of mud.
    Thanks to @Jameso for the info and advice.

mos

I’m looking at the alfine option Would be grateful to hear any more info on durability/maintenance required?

ctleam

I bought an Arkose 4 about 6 weeks ago. I love riding it on and off road but having problems with the shifting. Not smooth, often struggles to move up a ring, sometimes slips off a ring, doesn’t feel right! I’ve taken it back to Evans 4 times now – they’ve been very patient – but wonder if there may be a damaged component somewhere? Any ideas or similar experiences?

ransos
    Free Member

First ride impressions are very positive. It was quite capable off-road so long as you pick your line well, and surprisingly pacy on road. I liked the tyres and the hydro brakes. I dropped the chain a couple of times so I reckon the new ultegra clutch mech is a worthwhile upgrade. Shifting not quite as smooth as my road bike, and Evans haven’t set the front indexing correctly. All in all, a great bike for £1k.

rs89
    Free Member

@Jameso and other Pinnacle enthusiasts, another tyre clearance question for you!

I have a Pinnacle Dolomite 4, 2017 model.  Takes 32mm 700c tyres comfortable.

I’m curious about a 650b retrofit, for no other reason other than i (potentially) can and it would be a bit of a laugh blasting around bridleways with the mrs.   I know there’s no way you’d get a 650 x 47C Horizon in, but something like  a 650 x 40C would be interesting…

Any ideas what the max size 650b tyre you might squeeze into a Dolomite frame is?   Anyone given this a go!?

I realise the correct answer here is probably “buy an Arkose frameset”, but would be interested if anyone’s been down this route.   Bike would spend most of it’s day with 700C x 28s anyway.  Also, dry weather only (so mud clearance not a big deal).

jrmac
    Free Member

Drivetrain question for anyone. I plan on using shimano 5700 105 10-spd shifters, FSM megaExo 48/32 crankset, Tiagra FD, XT 9-spd Mid Cage RD and 11-36 10-spd cassette. Will i need to use a road link to get the capacity ill need to use the 11-36?

TIA  Cheers

genubah
    Free Member

@jameso, apologies for more trivial questions, but hopefully you can clarify these before they become my obsession:

– The Arkose 4 2017 framesets in stock at Evans, are they from the early production run, ie. do they have hidden mudguard mounts, or both mounts on the outside of the chainstay?

– Can a (di2) front mech be installed on a Arkose LTD frame?

Thanks

cp

Will i need to use a road link to get the capacity ill need to use the 11-36?

I use an 11-34 10 speed with the same shifters and with a 9 speed rear mech and it works flawlessly. I’d assume the 36 would be ok…. But you’ll probably not know till you try.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ve been wondering about best way to get lower gearing, those road links look ok, but the extra leverage looks like a easy way to a bent mech hanger to me.

Could you not just fire on, say the Arkose 3, an mtb chainset, say something like 26 – 40/2(I haven’t thought about the specific gearing too much just curious.) or something? Kinda problems would you run into with something like that? would it work with the derailler or would you need to replace front derailleur and fit an mtb bb with spacers or something (guessing here) (What’s the width of the arkose bb?)

jameso

but wonder if there may be a damaged component somewhere? Any ideas or similar experiences?

Sounds like a bit of a faff, sorry about that. Worth checking the frame alignment perhaps, BB face to seat tube? The shop can discuss with us at the Pinnacle workshop if needed.

Could you not just fire on, say the Arkose 3, an mtb chainset, say something like 26 – 40/2(I haven’t thought about the specific gearing too much just curious.) or something? Kinda problems would you run into with something like that? would it work with the derailler or would you need to replace front derailleur and fit an mtb bb with spacers or something (guessing here) (What’s the width of the arkose bb?)

I use a 28-42 or 40 on a test bike that’s part Arkkose, part Pyrolite. Road STIs won’t shift an MTB mech well or move a road mech quite far enough out to cope with a 48mm CL though so I use bar end shifters on it. There are better (smaller chainset options appearing but it’s slow… we need a 30-44 on a 45mm+ CL at Sora-105 level)

– The Arkose 4 2017 framesets in stock at Evans, are they from the early production run, ie. do they have hidden mudguard mounts, or both mounts on the outside of the chainstay?

– Can a (di2) front mech be installed on a Arkose LTD frame?

The framesets are the double outer M5s, pretty sure of that. Di2 front – no sorry, it’s a 1x specific frame.

Will i need to use a road link to get the capacity ill need to use the 11-36?

Not if you’re using an XT mech, no.

Any ideas what the max size 650b tyre you might squeeze into a Dolomite frame is?

Maybe a 38, not sure about a 42 like the PariMoto, but your BB will be lower than needed to pass the lean angle regs in ISO. A PariMoto 42 is about 673mm OD and the Dolomite frame is 35mm clearance/spacing between the chainstays at 340mm from the axle. So a 38, probably. Just. Maybe not to be recommended. “buy an Arkose frameset” : )

I’m looking at the alfine option Would be grateful to hear any more info on durability/maintenance required?

Grit CX had some issues with water ingress in theirs. That’s unusual though, in all honesty the 8s hub has been pretty reliable the whole time I’ve had experience of bikes using it, from the Day One Alfine to now, 9 years+? The 11s Alfine had a few grumbles early on but the 8 is sound, just keep he pressure washer away from it and get it oil-bath serviced once a year if you’re doing reasonable miles, say 4000 a year or more.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cheers Jameso,Yes defo sounds like there’s a middle road required for gravel bikes that’s not catered for, guess it’ll happen at some point soon.

Sounds like the arkose 4 is proably my best option then, so i’ll need to be patient that they are available in 38/36,  1×42 sounds about right I think, easiest and cheapest route.

jrmac
    Free Member

Thanks. Ill post pics once its completely assembled. Still have wait another six weeks or so before i can ride it though due to shoulder surgery.

ctleam

Arkose 4 shifting problems sorted – Evans fitted the slightly smaller diameter SRAM cable and now it’s wonderful!

mounse701
    Free Member

Back from first ride on my new Arkose build.
    Arkose 1 frameset, Shimano 105, Fulcrum 650b.
    Love it.

genubah
    Free Member

Last stupid question, I promise!

For anyone with a non-LTD 2017-2018 frame, is it di2-friendly? It looks like wires could pass through the bottom bracket port, but what about down tube entry? Does one need to drill a cable stop, or could just squeeze a wire together with the brake hose? Also, can the routing be done through the BB shell to an internal battery in the seat tube?

@mounse701
    lovely build, althogh to me it looks like the wrong colour seatpin 🙂 (love the spacers though)

@jrmac
    don’t mind some WIP pics 🙂 also any idea about my questions above?

@jameso
    thank you for the info!

mounse701
    Free Member

@genubah Thanks. I prefer silver seatposts as black posts I’ve had look tatty quickly due to bags and removing and refitting the seatpost, plus I can’t actually see it when I’m riding!

mikertroid
    Free Member

Okay, I’m having a nightmare deciding which model.

Alfine: I’ve got a 10 year old iOID which the hub has been flawless…. I love the silence and simplicity in mud. I know there was a recent review that wasn’t too complimentary about the hub but I know their limitations.

X: similar to above… loose B.B. hubs put me off slightly (I know the alpine is cup and cone). Great price.

4: 1x drivetrain… a few more £ but I’m guessing the gearing can help upset a few of the roadies should I venture that way….

help!

swanny853

Could you not just fire on, say the Arkose 3, an mtb chainset, say something like 26 – 40/2(I haven’t thought about the specific gearing too much just curious.) or something? Kinda problems would you run into with something like that? would it work with the derailler

Wrong frame, but I had an MTB triple with a 40/28 double setup mounted on the inner/middle tabs, setup with a roadie front mech if that helps? That was on a roadrat.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cheers, think i’ve settled on 1x, Don’t think I’ve ever owned a bike where the front mech hasn’t ceased! 😆 I’m fairly maintenance reluctant, and just replace chain chain ring and cassette every so often. No front mech means no having to uncease it! Sound good to me. plus the option of being able to just swap out chain rings, if I want higher sounds fine. Will need to check chain length on that mind you, but I guess it should work ok.

jrmac
    Free Member

5-8/9ish on a medium “4” using a 80mm stem with no rise and a straight seat post. Bar and seat are pretty much level allowing use if all the bar hand positions.

jrmac
    Free Member

Ive found two ways. The first was using a road triple running bash guard/44T/30T and a 11-34 cassette. Now im using a FSA 48/32  double and 11-36 cassette. I liked the road triple combo a lot b/c the BCDs allowed me to use many more chainring variations unlike the FSA where i had to jump up to larger cassette. Both times i have not needed to use a road link just medium and long cage MTB RDs.

shoogly
    Free Member

Great thread this with lots of top info.

I’m going for a test ride on an Arkose 3 at the weekend (hopefully if it arrives at the Edinburgh store by then). This will be the first time that I’ll have ridden anything resembling a road bike for about 20 years. I’m a mountain biker at heart but now have a need to a commuter to see me through road, trail, canal paths and also some light Pentlands use. Will be interesting to see how I get on with the gears – slightly different from trigger shifters.

Anything I should be looking out for on my test ride as far as bike set up goes? I’m 6’4″ so have gone for the biggest frame.

One thing is, I really like the black finish on the Arkose 3, but would much prefer the Arkose 4 due to spec (forks and 1x gearing). Would Evans swap out an Arkose 3 frame into the Arkose 4 spec? That bright yellow/greeny colour of the 4 really isn’t my thing and would prohibit the sale.

Can’t wait to ride it :o)

benp1

Need to give my Arkose 2 some love (the 1×10, hydro one), have done about 10k miles on it now and need to replace the whole drivetrain (it’s had a couple of cassettes and chains in that time but no chainring or new cable)

Some questions

– I could do with more top end so I’m thinking of going up a chainring size, pretty sure it’s 38t from the shop. Will go to 42t to make worthwhile. If I look for any 42t 110bcd chainring that should be fine right?

– When I replace the chain I’ll presumably need it to be longer than the one i’m running, any quick way of working out how many more links it needs? (I’ll stick with a 11-36t cassette)

– I might as well run a new cable. It has a bar end shifter with the cable run under the bar tape, then internally run cables. Can I replace the cable without having to redo the bar tape etc? Is that going to cause me any trouble? Also, the cable has what looks like a jagwire connector near the head tube, what’s that for?

shoogly
    Free Member

So, tonight, after a very short (I knew it was spot on straight away) test ride, I left Evans in Edinburgh with my new bike 😎

so happy with it after a couple of wee rides tonight. Front shifter isn’t set right – chain rubs on the front mech when on the big ring at front and wee 3 rings at the back end.

I’m going to enjoy my commute 👍🏻

benp1

bump, any tips from anyone? Figured it would be helpful to have all the info in one place but it’s also easy to get buried…!

jameso

Hey Ben … 42T might be a challenge for CS space. Ring will be 2-3mm off the CS. A 40T would have better clearances. It’s a 5-arm 110 on the 2015 bike, yes.

Adding 4 teeth to the ring – add 2 full links to the chain. Cables, new outer means new tape or a re-wrap. Inner can usually be fed through as-is as long as it’s new with a soldered / uncut end. The Jagwire connector is just a barrel adjuster for gear cable tension.

Peter, all good, glad it’s made the right impression!

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Hi…

Anyone know what tyre clearance for 650b the older models have?

Specifically I was hoping to run 650b WTB horizons at 47mm on the 2015 SingleSpeed framed Arkose.

Is this a non-starter? The rear looks like it would take them but the fork looks like it might be tight.

If not possible what is the max I can get away with/alternative tyre choice?

Cheers

jameso

650 x 42s fit OK but a 47mm will be tight in the fork, part of the reason we got a new fork made with more height and side clearances for 2017.

benp1

Jameso – thanks, just the info I was after. I’ll get some bits ordered now. Got back on the bike this morning and gear changes weren’t very responsive so I need to do this sooner rather than later

jimdubleyou

Have managed to scuff the saddle on my 2015/A4, and need a new one.

Can’t see a direct replacement (Pinnacle Race) on the Evans website, any ideas for something the same shape/comfort level ?

jameso

Can’t see a direct replacement (Pinnacle Race) on the Evans website, any ideas for something the same shape/comfort level ?

It’s the Velo VL-1205, same Velo saddle model that the FWE Charge Spoon, Madison Flux, Giant, many Genesis bikes etc use – a common shape. Foam and cover types can vary but they’re essentially the same. Fabric Scoop feels very similar to me also, same basic shape but not quite the same saddle.

shoogly
    Free Member

It’s a fine saddle. I’m going to get one for my mountain bike as well.

Loving my Arkose. It’s turning out to be the perfect commuting bike for Edinburgh. Quick enough on road, has been great for little off road excursions through the Hermitage trails and the odd detour into the Pentland foothills. Only place I’ve suffered is on the cobbles in the new town where it’s all a bit unforgiving. Along the canal paths is great though.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.