Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 455 total)
  • Petrol-grabbing idiots!
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Exactly how long does diesel or petrol last? Maybe i should store up a lifetimes supply.

If you did you could be a very rich man in 20 years.

higthepig
    Free Member

If you did you could be a very rich man in 20 years.

Are you saying the HoratioHufnagal has only got 20 years left? If so, you should have broken it a bit more gently I think.

Cougar

I think it’s about a year (for petrol)? Let me ask my resident petrolhead, moment.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    Cougar

Seems I’m partially misremembering; according to my petrolhead mate it was Optimax I was thinking of, they used additives to boost the octane which deteriorated over time.

However, there’s a nice write-up here,

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/t/8984.aspx

Basically says that in a sealed container and optimum conditions it’ll last for 6-12 months before it starts going off. In suboptimal conditions (like for example, your petrol tank) it’ll start going off after a couple of weeks. Eep.

Diesel isn’t wholly dissimilar time-wise as far as I can gather, but rather than losing potency it absorbs water from the atmosphere, then destroys engines. 😯

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Petrol grabbing idiot:

hora
    Free Member

Done! NO queueing well trucks were but I went round them! You need to know where to go…. Starions have popped their prices up though. Funny that.

anagallis_arvensis

Well i nearly ran out on the way to work because of a load of fuppin muppets. At least i could still laugh as i watched people waiting in a massive line and still insisted on using only the pumps on the same side as their filler cap when i finally found somewhere not sold out! Luckily as i was on my bike i just ignored the line!!!

kimbers

supposed to be driving to liverpool tonight im relying on londoners being too lazy to panic buy so hopefully my empty tank will get filled!

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Petrol grabbing idiot:

Empty can grabbing idiot you mean, surely

That, or worlds stongest man 🙂

Drac

Potentially 10 years with huge faff…

So the stuff we have stored at work from about 12 years ago that has nothing done to it is breaking the law of science. It was tested the other week and the guy declared it as perfect, I asked him how long it should last. His answer was pretty much forever as long as no water gets in.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well, when the stupid effing strikers realise they are running out of food at home, and their familes are going hungry becasue of what they are doing, they’ll all toddle back off to work.

Striking = Shooting yourself in the foot in every way imaginable.

So you think that fuel tanker drivers who are organised in a trade union and engage in collective bargaining are at a disadvantage ? That all they have managed to do is ‘shoot themselves in the foot’ ?

Tell me PP, what would be the pay and conditions of fuel tanker drivers if they hadn’t been in a trade union and been prepared to take industrial action if necessary ? …… although this will be the first national strike for 12 years.

Presumably they would be much better off than they are today – if they hadn’t been shooting themselves in the foot. Any ideas what that might be ? Care to have a guess what they might be earning today, if the unions hadn’t screwed things up for them ?

I have to say that it amazes me how some people on here begrudge ordinary working men and women earning a half decent wage, preferring instead for the money to go to wealthy oil companies – which never cease to make mind-boggling profits even during hard times and recessions.

They denounce workers who want a decent wage as “greedy” whilst throwing their weight behind greedy oil companies who are screwing them !

Unless you are an oil industry executive it makes about as much sense as a chocolate fireguard.

It reminds me of the Wapping dispute. Here one of the world’s wealthiest and most powerful men was in dispute with his own workers because he wanted to be even more wealthy and more powerful. Unbelievably, some people who were clearly not billionaires themselves, and probably barely had a pot to piss in, backed Rupert Murdoch claiming that the print workers were “greedy”.

I never did figure out why it was perfectly ok for Rupert Murdoch to be greedy despite already having far more money than he knew what to do with. But more importantly, how they thought Rupert Murdoch becoming even wealthier at the expense of ordinary workers like themselves would enhance their own lives. Most bizarre.

A fuel tanker driver’s story

kimbers

the oil industry effectively prevented any unionisation of workers when the north sea infrastructure was developed by the last lot of torries

im sure the fact that the tanker drivers are so heavily unionised really pisses them off

i wonder if the new tory government has taken any large donnation from the oil industry lately

oh yeahh………

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

which never cease to make mind-boggling profits even during hard times and recessions.

They denounce workers who want a decent wage as “greedy” whilst throwing their weight behind greedy oil companies who are screwing them !

Hmmm – The government take nearly a pound in tax from every litre of petrol at the pump, to pay for your beloved public services.

Yet you somehow think its the fuel companies who make a profit of about two pence per litre that are screwing us.

🙄

project
    Free Member

Perhaps we should be told now where Tandem Jeremey is, obviously plaaning the real fuel strike and bringing the country to its knees, and as a starter geting Stanstead bagage handlers to strike over easter.

lol.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Only Zulu-Eleven would come along and claim that oil companies don’t make huge profits ! 😀

Shell profits jump 77% on higher oil prices

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Do you understand how percentages work Ernie? 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

At least i could still laugh as i watched people waiting in a massive line and still insisted on using only the pumps on the same side as their filler cap

I only use the pump on the cap side, otherwise I have to either scratch my paintwork or stand holding a hose above the car for 5 minutes. Both are stupid when there’s nothing but a short wait for a pump on the right side.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I understand that oil companies make huge profits, and I also understand that Zulu-Eleven will claim black is white and white is black, and make any other ridiculous claim which completely contradicts reality, if he feels he needs to. HTH

CaptJon
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences, but has anyone mentioned the theory this is a govt idea to avoid a double dip recession?

loum
    Free Member

capt jon,
    yes, already agreed and established as fact*

*probably 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I wasn’t too bothered about the fuel ‘crisis’ but it’s now prevented the ice cream man from making his rounds & ive had no pudding.

grum
    Free Member

Well, the idiots have won. No fuel in either of the garages I passed on my way home tonight.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Filled up last night, because I was in the red and had to get to work the next day. Passed 3 petrol stations with small queues but nothing too crazy, though I heard the local ASDA which has the cheapest petrol was rammed and ran out last night.

To be honest, I’m kind of liking this at the moment, because it’s exposing the Tories for being a bunch of ridiculous morons.

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

Right,i’ve got my jerry cans full of fuel but don’t know where to store it!!

The baths allrady full of the stamps and pasties i’m stock piling 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

Tell me PP, what would be the pay and conditions of fuel tanker drivers if they hadn’t been in a trade union and been prepared to take industrial action if necessary ? …… although this will be the first national strike for 12 years.

Tell me what you know of ADR and the hours they must work. The tanker drivers are well paid for the hours they work (limited by law) and the job they do.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TooTall – Member

Tell me what you know of ADR and the hours they must work. The tanker drivers are well paid for the hours they work (limited by law) and the job they do.

You think PP is wrong and the fuel tanker drivers have done rather well as the result of being in a trade union and being prepared to take industrial action if necessary ? I suspect you might be right.

And if you want to know more about fuel tanker drivers and the reasons for this possible industrial action, then I suggest you watch the video in this link :

A fuel tanker driver’s story

It’s delivered in a soothing scottish accent and pleasant background music.

hora
    Free Member

Tootall are you sure? Voxpox on TV last night and a woman was complaining to a Union leader/driver on the news that he ‘gets upto 47k a year for driving a vehicle’.

His counter-argument was that he has to drive upto 15hours a day.

If anyone drove for 15hours aday regularly you’d kill yourself nevermind drive a petrol tanker into someone?!!!

His argument did seem abit ❓

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yes tanker drivers earn good money, but,
    They aren’t allowed to drive for 15 hours, that will be the working day.
    They have the shift pattern from hell.
    And it’s not the money there striking about.
    Pension, training and shortening of the daily run times are the main problems.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So you think that fuel tanker drivers who are organised in a trade union and engage in collective bargaining are at a disadvantage ? That all they have managed to do is ‘shoot themselves in the foot’ ?

Yes. I think they, and anyone else who strikes, is a bloody idiot. A selfish one at that.

That is my opinion. There is nothing you can do to change it.

In my job, nobody strikes. Striking over H&S? Give it a fekking break! I work in the inshore industry that kills more than any other. Last year I had a 20%-ish pay cut. Nowt I could do about it. That’s the way it goes for some of us.

You suck it up, or go elsewhere if you don’t like it.

Yes, I have done that.

I have to say that it amazes me how some people on here begrudge ordinary working men and women earning a half decent wage

Lorry drivers? Hard working? Phhhhhhhhhhh.
    I don’t begrudge them anything they own, or anyone else. It’s none of my business. But they earn 50+% more than me, apparently, for sitting on their arses all day.

Tell me PP, what would be the pay and conditions of fuel tanker drivers if they hadn’t been in a trade union and been prepared to take industrial action if necessary ?

Probably no differnet to what it is now, except they’d have more money in their pockets after not wasting money on union subs. And if they’re on strike, they’re loosing money (Unauthorised absence) on top of that. Hence the foot shooting.

hora
    Free Member

Its not just the fact they can strike its WHEN they chose to strike. To cause misery to the people that use their product/rely on their service.

That is pathetic.

Another case in point is the ‘we must have a bonus just to work as normal during the Olympics’.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

. Striking over H&S? Give it a fekking break! I work in the inshore industry that kills more than any other. Last year I had a 20%-ish pay cut. Nowt I could do about it. That’s the way it goes for some of us.

Yes there is something you can do about it – join a union and bargain collectivly.

its no coincidence unionised workplaces have the best pay and conditions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hora – there is no point in a strike that causes no inconvenience. Please note tho that the drivers have not done anything yet.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lorry drivers? Hard working? Phhhhhhhhhhh.

Who said anything about “hard working” ? I don’t believe that anyone should work hard – just work.

If some people want to work disproportionately harder than other people, then that’s up to them – no one should be forced to.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yes,
    Wanting a bonus for doing your job is the same as being made to rush and cut corners when delivering 30 tons of fuel. 😯

Dibbs
    Free Member

Here I go, agreeing with TJ again 😯
    There is no strike and there probably won’t be one for the best part of a fortnight at the earliest, the whole situation has been manufactured by the government to deflect the media and bring in a handy tax windfall before the end of the financial year.
    It amazes me just how many stupid people there are in this country, falling for this.

hora
    Free Member

there is no point in a strike that causes no inconvenience

MAXIMUM inconvenience by any chance? I seem to remember train strikes were always scheduled for hardworking workers holidays.

sputnik
    Free Member

I have to agree with the OP – Petrol grabbers = IDIOTS

Making a total mess of the traffic through my village. 👿 ( Ashtead, A24 running through it )

hels
    Free Member

Sensibleness seems to be reigning in the Scottish Borders. Our local stations all have signs up saying “£30 max” and no queues. I can’t fit £30 in the motorbike if I try.

But yes, not much worse than morons causing the very situation they are trying to selfishly protect themselves from !! Such a Me First Bugger Everyone Else attitude, should be ashamed of themselves.

And every cloud has a silver lining, I can’t get to work if things get so bad the buses don’t run…

gonefishin
    Free Member

In my job, nobody strikes. Striking over H&S? Give it a fekking break! I work in the inshore industry that kills more than any other.

Quite frankly that’s nothing to be proud of. Perhaps if your industry was a little more unionised then you wouldn’t kill so many people!

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 455 total)

The topic ‘Petrol-grabbing idiots!’ is closed to new replies.