Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 455 total)
  • Petrol-grabbing idiots!
  • donsimon
    Free Member

No fuel = No drive, easy no? 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

fule crisis

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No fuel = No drive, easy no?

Well normally yes, I would just get my horse and ride into work. Only I haven’t seen him since 1939.

takisawa2

Filled up at Sainsbury’s in Tamworth earlier, not really much of a queue & 141.9p. No queue at Asda opposite either.

Tis Tamworth though, they were probably all sleeping after panic queueing all night.

tony_m
    Free Member

Forgot to say before, on the plus side the roads are remarkably quiet tonight!!! 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Well normally yes, I would just get my horse and ride into work. Only I haven’t seen him since 1939.

😆

sweepy
    Free Member

No fuel = No drive, easy no?

Well yes, unless its one of your loved ones i’m nursing.
    These things are generally overblown tho, chances are i’ll roll into town on fumes and fill up at 6:30 after a nighttime delivery, and be on the ward for 7.
    I think its the selfishness that gets me more than the lack of fuel.

donsimon
    Free Member

It goes without saying that I was talking about the masses and not the emergency services or south london chippies.

Coyote
    Free Member

And the profiteering. Don’t forget that.

MrOvershoot

tony_m – Member

Just walked past two of my regular filling stations (this is in Blackpool, BTW) at about 10pm.

One is coned-off and closed to all except Emergency Services, while the other has a man in a fluoro jacket standing at the entrance, and only letting another vehicle onto the already-rammed forecourt when one has left.

One of my suppliers said that he was up near Blackpool yesterday & the first garage was queuing 200 meters down the road yet 2 miles later a Shell garage that was cheaper & had all fuels available was devoid of cars!

Is it a case of the “see a Que & join it”

sweepy
    Free Member

It goes without saying that I was talking about the masses and not the emergency services or south london chippies.

Ooh I do look a bit petulant there don’t I 🙂

tony_m
    Free Member

Is it a case of the “see a Que and join it”

Aye, that sounds about right. Must be something in the water round here making them all act daft like this!!! 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My local pumps are empty – again!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Is it a case of the “see a Que & join it”

arcane
    Free Member

It could be a lot worse you know. If our government and others didn’t bend over backwards to make people who believe in very silly little lies built into their upbringing for several thousand years, feel that they are actually taken seriously in the modern world, we would have even less fuel to go around.

I hope the people queuing for petrol and realising that their lives depend on it through and through, will keep quite and not shout ‘it’s all about the oil’ next time our government supports military action that is partially designed to make sure you can get to work, your kids can get to school, and you can still find food on the supermarket shelves! 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..next time our government supports military action that is partially designed to make sure you can get to work

LOL ! So imperialism and neo-colonialism is for the sake of “the people” is it ? It’s nothing to do with making very wealthy people even wealthier then ? 😀

Strangely enough at the height of the British Empire and colonial rule, when Britain was the wealthiest nation on earth, the vast majority of people lived in poverty, just like people living European countries without huge empires were.

And if “military action” is the solution to getting our hands on oil then aren’t countries such as China missing out ? Shouldn’t they be getting involved in wars too ?

And you talk about “very silly little lies” !!!

arcane
    Free Member

Do you see any real ‘neo-colonialism’ going on that is the product of any Western country?

You don’t! You might get off on pretending you do, but you still don’t! 🙂

What you say about the height of the British Empire and poverty is true, but what on earth does that have to do with fuel? You are just a submissive type who wants to be walked over by other nations for things done by ours many years before your birth I suspect! 🙂

Military action is sometimes beneficial to the continued transport of crude oil around the world. Do you honestly not know that?

arcane
    Free Member

Will they be so easy to predict? 😉

Kevevs
    Free Member

Some of the customers queueing up at our fuel station the last few days have not been out to get fuel or used their car in months (speshly old people) or used our particular place that is automated and card only. If you work in one of these places, the last 3 days have been pretty astonishing and a little hard to understand given the non-strike and normal delivery. It goes to show how much people do actually listen to political/media “authority” and behave in a sheeplike manner. What also is interesting is every single customer and friend bar none I have talked to on this topic calls everyone else panicing for petrol an idiot and a fool. so who’s in the petrol queue then? People know it’s stupid but do it anyway “just in case” and know they are stupid for doing it and try not to let on! but I can put your reg in the system and pull up the vid of you queueing you liars! Mind you, working on a checkout, and seeing the numbers of daily mail readers that live round here it souldn’t be a surprise.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do you see any real ‘neo-colonialism’ going on that is the product of any Western country?

No of course not, George Bush and Tony Blair were just extending brotherly love to Afghanistan and Iraq. Sadly those ungrateful foreign chaps didn’t return this brotherly love in kind. Now there’s gratitude for you, eh ?

What you say about the height of the British Empire and poverty is true, but what on earth does that have to do with fuel?

British/Western imperialism has never, and will never, secure resources for the sake of the people. If US/British companies get their grubby hands on the oil of other countries, it will not be for the benefit of ordinary people.

Although ordinary people will of course be forced to pay for the military adventures through their taxes. And in the blood of their young men.

BTW I know of no country which has refused to trade/sell oil to Britain, that is not the issue here – ownership is the issue. And who, owns what, has very little effect on the lives of ordinary Britons.

In the 1980s Britain had secured access to all the oil it needed, in fact we produced about 30% more of the stuff than we actually needed – so we sold it off to other countries.

By your logic this should have meant cheaper/falling fuel prices, and apparently cheaper “food on the supermarket shelves”, improved living standards, etc. So did it ?

Did it ****. Fuel prices continued to rise, as did supermarket prices, living standards did not significantly increase, and so on. What it actually meant was that oil companies made a lot of big fat profit. And there was plenty of spare cash to spunk on unemployment.

Your quaint, naive, and simplistic, logic, is deeply flawed.

Kevevs
    Free Member

Kevevs
    Free Member

who’s next then Ernie, look into your crystal ball, who are we going to liberate of terrible nasty dictators and regimes and put in a nice useful friendly democracy instead (after killing a few thousand folk), would that be a country that is really **** ing up its citizens? or will that be a country sitting on a nice bed of oil? or y’know, just find an excuse and convince us cos we’re willing enough to go mad for petrol at the merest drop of a hat. is it possible that this is all about making us realise how much we actually need the stuff. Then the next “war” would be more acceptable if we subconciously knew we needed the stuff.

mrdestructo

The British Empire may be long gone, but subtle controlling methods are not. When Gordon Brown said he was going to give the gift of the English language to the world the cat was already out of the bag (1.2bil speakers, 485mil of them native) and we see how the British Council works its only version of British Diplomatic Strategy. One theoretical question bandied around our military officers a bit back was, “will the public support a conflict abroad for control of resources if they start to run out?” This in the case of a country where one of our own allies was in on a deal mining/drilling/farming.

Don’t just talk about our young dead. Let’s see the as of yet unpublished figures for the wounded, limbless, PTSD, alcoholism, homelessness, broken marriages (and not being able to see kids), unemployment, suicide.

sweepy
    Free Member

Well as predicted I coasted into town and filled up at the one garage with fuel. Thats me for a working week.
    And its not just our young dead- what about theirs.

orena45

Drove between Poole and Bournemouth this morning, a Total garage had reopened and people were still queueing onto the road for fuel.

I’ve never been so close to an actual facepalm.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I need to get some petrol for my lawnmower.
    Really looking forward to the disdain of all the other people at the garage!

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m running low.

Does it make me a “petrol grabbing idiot” if I fill up with more than I normally would ?

I need the fuel earn a living (mobile car/boat valeting)

And the fact is, however it came about, there is actually a shortage of fuel now, right ?

fasthaggis

FeeFoo @ the garage 🙂
    Is just for my lawnmower ,honest 😉

The whole saga has been embarrassing.
    I have been more upset about the Bumble Bees 😐

grum
    Free Member

No queues at th’asdas last night.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Is just for my lawnmower ,honest

I was thinking of carrying a sign saying this whilst filling up.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I was also thinking of walking to the garage, but what do I do if there’s a queue? Join it and creep forward sandwiched between two cars.

Has comic appeal. 🙂

higgo
    Free Member

Drove between Poole and Bournemouth this morning, a Total garage had reopened and people were still queueing onto the road for fuel.

I’ve never been so close to an actual facepalm.

I saw an actual facepalm on Thursday evening outside Morrisons in Chapel-en-le-Frith. From a petrol tanker driver who was trying (and failing) to get someone to pull out of the queue for petrol (and presumably lose their ‘place’) so he could pull in and deliver petrol.

I would have facepalmed myself if I hadn’t seen the driver stood there in the middle of the roundabout with palm square over scrunched up face.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was also thinking of walking to the garage, but what do I do if there’s a queue?

Just tell the other punters you need petrol for your lawnmower. I’m sure they’ll let you go straight to the front of the queue.

You could add that you’re in a bit of a hurry as you’ve left your garden hose on 💡

Coyote
    Free Member

Join it and creep forward sandwiched between two cars.

Have a picture in my mind and am now chuckling.. 😆

loum
    Free Member

Jerymandering 😆

julianwilson
    Free Member

Blimey, someone’s hacked into the Telegraph website! 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The private message is as follows. “This is our Thatcher moment. In order to defeat the coming miners’ strike, she stockpiled coal. When the strike came, she weathered it, and the Labour Party, tarred by the strike, was humiliated. In order to defeat the coming fuel drivers’ strike, we want supplies of petrol stockpiled. Then, if the strike comes, we will weather it, and Labour, in hock to the Unite union, will be blamed.”

All glaringly obvious. As Len McCluskey said :

Len McCluskey, general secretary of Unite, said: “We call on the Government to come clean on its whole approach to this dispute. Is it acting as an honest broker, or is it spoiling for a fight in order to get itself out of the political hole its class-focussed economic mismanagement has put it in?

“Over the last few days its every move has been designed to whip up unnecessary tension at the expense of the public. Ministers knew all along that a strike could not possibly be less than seven days away even were it to be called – that is the law. Yet they panicked the nation all the way to the petrol pumps because they imagined it would boost them in the polls.

“The British people know that this posturing and positioning is poisoning the prospects for an early resolution to the dispute.

“Serious industrial issues are being lost in this machismo. This is an industry of vital strategic importance, which is being rocked by cost-cutting by companies making billions in profit and where safety and training is being cut to the bone. The Government should take a lead in addressing these issues – instead it is ready to meet the companies to discuss strike-breaking, but not prepared to lift a finger to resolve the underlying problems.”

Mr McCluskey said there were serious consequences to the Government’s “dreadful advice” earlier this week to stockpile petrol.

“That advice has now been withdrawn – yet the Government knows it was never necessary. Who is going to take responsibility for this fiasco?

“This could have been avoided. For the past two years we have asked this Government to work with us to sort the problems in this industry. We asked them repeatedly to help ensure that Acas talks began in a conducive and helpful environment. However, it is becoming clear that they had no interest in this, preferring instead to plot to take down a union.”

http://www.scotsman.com/news/fuel-crisis-drivers-union-warns-deal-could-be-scuppered-1-2208854

Contrast the commonsense approach of the union with the political stunt pulled by this government.
    I don’t think the jury needs to be out for very long on this one.

Kevevs
    Free Member

this whole thing really highlights the selfishness of us human beings. Aren’t we supposed to be evolving and coming together? boo hoo people can’t get any fuel until tomorrow. Meanwhile in other parts of the world millions of people don’t have access to food or clean water etc. Get a grip, for most people it’s a luxury not a God given entitlement to the worlds natural resources..

arcane
    Free Member

“Meanwhile in other parts of the world millions of people don’t have access to food or clean water etc. “

Would you like us to sit in a cold and dark room with very little water and nothing but rice to eat? Do you believe that will make the world a better place?

“boo hoo people can’t get any fuel until tomorrow.”

Do you have anywhere you really need to be tomorrow? I don’t. A lot of people do though! 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 455 total)

The topic ‘Petrol-grabbing idiots!’ is closed to new replies.