Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,071 total)
  • Petrol and diesel set to be the new bog roll. Road Warriors unite! 🚙
  • richmtb

https://www.theguardian.com/bupetrol-station-chaos-worsened-by-motorists-filling-up-with-wrong-fuel

JUST PUT IN WHATEVA THEY HAVE DORIS! BEFORES THERES NUFFINK LEFT!

😀 😀 😀 😀

VanHalen

No one else seen the video of someone buying 2l bottled water, emptying them on the forecourt and then refilling them with petrol from the pumps?

the local tesco manager told me he has had to stop multiple people buying the 5l water bottles and filling them with petrol only to get a mouthfuil of abuse in response. its actually bonkers out there.

I`m better off in my crappy home office or in the forest on my bike.

all the hoarders will be moaning soon when they have to home-school again soon as the teachers cant get to work – that’ll learn em! haha

kimbers

In France, Germany etc, conditions are better, they have facilities for showering etc, simple stuff like that, plus they freedom of movement.

Cabotage rules meant drivers can drop off stuff in a different country & pick something else up for the return leg, that’s extra flexibility within the EU, that we don’t have here now.
    It allows EU to be more flexible and keep the wheels moving, even with their own staffing problems

I reckon I’ve got enough fuel to make it to inners for ews 100 this week, hopefully I’ll get enough to make it back

roverpig

Drove from near Aberdeen to near Newcastle yesterday and back up today. Didn’t see a single closed garage or even a queue. Stopped at three garages in total. All said it had been crazy but all still had plenty of fuel and deliveries planned soon.

kilo

Cabotage rules meant drivers can drop off stuff in a different country & pick something else up for the return leg, that’s extra flexibility within the EU, that we don’t have here now.

Pedant alert, that’s not cabotage. Cabotage would be a German lorry drops a load from Germany in Kent and then picks up a new load in Kent and delivers it to say Hull, basically a delivery by a foreign lorry starting and finishing in the same country, not a collection for the return leg. Obviously the loss of free movement has killed this in the UK

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the infrastructure can cope when a few people need it but what happens when everyone wants fuel at the same time?

What we need is a more decentralised system, whereby people could fill up their cars slowly overnight when the big users aren’t busy. That way the fuel could be delivered down really small cheap pipes. That way only a minority of people would need to use the fueling stations.

Northwind

You’re scheming on a thing that’s a mirage
    I’m trying to tell you now, it’s cabotage

dannyh
    Free Member

FOMO

Freedom Of Movement Obsession?

crazy-legs

the infrastructure can cope when a few people need it but what happens when everyone wants fuel at the same time?

I don’t think most people realise (a) how well managed the supply chain (across all industries) is generally and (b) how close it is to falling over most of the time.

Just In Time deliveries, whether it be for car parts or frozen food are all planned, and dependent, on lots of little cogs all fitting near perfectly – from everyone within the manufacturing and delivery chains doing their thing to the end user not being a dickhead and buying it all immediately. There’s a bit of leeway here and there but if there’s a significant uptick in demand at (relatively) short notice, the supply chain would collapse. Same if a much larger number of people had to go into hospital than usual – maybe say if there was some sort of pandemic…

Brexit has obviously exacerbated many of the existing issues within the haulage industry which, in spite of supplying literally everything to everyone, is somehow still regarded by Government as low-skilled.

grum
    Free Member

Pedant alert, that’s not cabotage. Cabotage would be a German lorry drops a load from Germany in Kent

That’s fine but what about transporting products other than Cabbage (proper spelling btw).

Sorry

binners

Stand back everyone. They’ve got the intellectual big guns on the case.

He’ll have it sorted in no time…..

martinhutch

Oh come on, if John Redwood stopped tweeting about stuff he knows f all about, how would he fill his day?

rhinofive

Northwind

You’re scheming on a thing that’s a mirage
    I’m trying to tell you now, it’s cabotage

I can’t stand it, I know you planned it……

Cabbotage

Bunnyhop

Bring back petrol coupons.

God knows what my neighbour will do. She may actually have to walk her children to school, just like the other parents in our rd who manage (and they work).

Really, really pissed off with some attitudes in this country atm.
    Although I admit hubby and I did panic buy a months supply of Aldi fruit and nut chocolate in one fell swoop. If that runs out I’m a goner.

tthew

Although I admit hubby and I did panic buy a months supply of Aldi fruit and nut chocolate in one fell swoop.

You monster! Won’t somebody think of the diabetics!

molgrips
    Free Member

Really, really pissed off with some attitudes in this country atm.

Well if it makes you feel better, every time there is hysteria, our local FB group is full of people denouncing it and trying to be reasonable. You just don’t see them cos they’re at home or cycling to work and the like.

i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I wonder what the correlation between reading the Daily Mail and filling up your tank fully these last few days is?

Northwind

There’s basically 2 sorts of people… The ones that look at the pizza and think, maybe there’s not enough for everyone to have 2 pieces, I’ll take 1. And the ones that look at the pizza and think maybe there’s not enough for everyone to have 2 pieces, I’ll take 3.

jamesoz

I just squandered the last of my petrol to go buy some beer, oh well.

At work we’ve already lost a van for the day due to a lack of diesel. Another doesn’t have enough for a job tomorrow.
    For a small company with 4 vans that’s a big loss.

binners

I wonder what the correlation between reading the Daily Mail and filling up your tank fully these last few days is?

There’s probably a high proportion of them regularly quote ‘surviving the blitz’ and other such spurious cobblers.

I just squandered the last of my petrol to go buy some beer

That doesn’t sound squandered to me

tomd
    Free Member

There’s something like 40 million vehicles in the UK.

As of Q1 2821 there was around 5 million tonnes of oil product stocks in the UK.

Say 10million people decide to brim up an extra 10l this week, that’s about 75,000te. I.e. **** all of a fart in terms of the volumes of petrol that are used, made and traded in the UK.

It is however several thousand road tanker loads. Average consumption in 2020 was circa 27,000te/d so you can see that several million motorists all being dicks could break the distribution of fuel completely.

Source for oil stocks https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/997314/Energy_Trends_June_2021.pdf

Source for petrol usage
    https://www.racfoundation.org/data/volume-petrol-diesel-consumed-uk-over-time-by-year

Source for number of vehicles
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/812622/Road_fuel_consumption_and_the_UK_motor_vehicle_fleet.pdf#:~:text=More%20than%20half%20of%20oil%20is%20consumed%20for,are%20the%20primary%20factors%20influencing%20demand%20for%20fuels.

winston
    Free Member

I am seriously incredulous that an MP and chief global stratagist for Charles Stanley can come out with a tweet so non-sensical. I can only think he is trolling?

crazy-legs

I can only think he is trolling?

I can only think that, like most of the MPs in the House of Commons, he’s a monumental ****.

Drove home past a Tesco’s garage this evening. Massive queue down half the road. Police in attendance. Everyone just sitting there, line of about 40 cars.

BruceWee

I am seriously incredulous that an MP and chief global stratagist for Charles Stanley can come out with a tweet so non-sensical. I can only think he is trolling?

It’s a test balloon for the governments new solution to all the upcoming employment crises. Remember that Navy advert, ‘If you can fix a bike, you can fix a car…’

Soon it’ll be, ‘If you can pull a skelf out of your finger, you can pull a skelf out of someone else’s finger. If you can pull a skelf out of someone else’s finger, you can pull an appendix out of someone else’s abdomen.’

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was on holiday when all this kicked off. Company car was sat on the drive almost empty during that time. It’s still almost empty. If I get a call for a local power cut, I wonder if the hoarders might donate me some fuel so I can get their lights back on.

dannyh
    Free Member

Redwood is a twunt. Always has been, always will be. That fixed look in his eyes is not an evil genius at work, it is the look of someone who is actually monumentally thick.

winston
    Free Member

Hasn’t held him back though.

joebristol

Popped to Asda for a few groceries tonight – thought I’d grab some fuel on the way out as the car is nearly at the running on fumes stage. Each petrol station I’ve passed in the last week has either had people queuing out of it or been out of fuel. I can’t believe these people are normally driving round with brimmed full tanks.

No chance getting fuel at Asda – queuing 10 cars deep at each set of pumps and I’ll be dammed if I’m waiting in that. Will cycle to work on Wednesday and work from home the rest of the week. Guess I won’t go driving anywhere for mtb until it’s calmed down and people have stopped hoarding more fuel than they normally do 🤷‍♂️

poly
    Free Member

IHNRAT but why did they not just do what anyone else trying to manage excess demand / limited supply does? Stick the price up to say £3-5/L would have made only those who really* needed it buy fuel, preserving supplies… especially if there was a comitment to reduce prices in 2 weeks time!

*or at least believe they do.

jamesoz

IHNRAT but why did they not just do what anyone else trying to manage excess demand / limited supply does? Stick the price up to say £3-5/L would have made only those who really* needed it buy fuel, preserving supplies… especially if there was a comitment to reduce prices in 2 weeks time

Because those who really need it either wouldn’t be able to pay that or wouldn’t be authorised to spend that.

Very few people who have to drive anywhere are that rich. Plenty that want to are though.

theotherjonv

but keep standard pricing / discount it for key workers, emergency services, etc. who really need it.

wurst.experience
    Free Member

Don’t believe all you read in the media guys. This is a FB post from a friend who works in the industry.

Quick heads up for some of you people who are now supply chain experts all of a sudden.

TO BE CLEAR

Petrol tanker drivers have an (PDP) ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tanker lorries. There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That’s a true fact but we’ve had a shortage for years, we have a 100,000 shortfall, that doesn’t happen overnight!!
    HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol Tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification. The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change. The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.

The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down to media hype. It’s not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
    These EU HGV drivers left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.

So what’s changed? Nothing !! Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.

The Result of the media scaremongering!!

Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again. The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today. Disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.

jamesoz

but keep standard pricing / discount it for key workers, emergency services, etc. who really need it.

Who would decide? I have a letter to say I’m a key worker from lockdown, would that be enough? Would it be all commercials? Would it be someone who needed to go shopping for an elderly relative? It’s just not that simple.

Poopscoop

@wurst.experience
    Bin dun and discussed.

Much of it is valid but blaming the media is a little rich in my opinion. There are not obvious culprits/reasons.

frankconway

To the microcephalous idiots filling jerry cans and other containers with petrol/derv – do you want a match with that?

funkmasterp

Car had flashing light of petrol based doom so had to sneak out under cover of darkness to get fuel. Feel like a terrible person. So same as usual only now with enough petrol to last til the middle of next month (3/4 of a tank).

RustyNissanPrairie

MrsRNP’s Volvo is out of fuel and just about made it home, was going to go out in my derv Golf with a Jerry can to get some fuel for her but don’t won’t to look like a hoarding **** so it can stay outside like an immobile street ornament till ‘normality’ returns

jamesoz

A Jerry can of derv would be a very handy get out of jail card for those of us who drive as a part of our job. I do between 80 and 400 miles a day.
    On my Sunday ride I did follow a car with a Jerry can of fuel on the parcel shelf. Must have smelt lovely in the sun

frankconway

Could be boom time for suppliers of auxiliary fuel tanks…

tjagain

Is this the right time to be smug about not owning a car?

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 1,071 total)

The topic ‘Petrol and diesel set to be the new bog roll. Road Warriors unite! 🚙’ is closed to new replies.