• This topic has 76 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Perfect poached eggs – how do you do yours?
  • honeybadgerx

Following on from seeing the egg-timer solution in the first world problems post, lets see what STW solutions there are to that great first world problem, how to cook the perfect poached egg without it devolving into a frothy mess?

We’ll take fresh eggs as a given.

My preferred method is to sit the eggs in a bowl of hot water (not boiled, from the hot tap), for a couple of minutes to pre-warm and then crack into a deep sided frying pan with inch deep gently simmering water.

carlphillips
    Free Member

cling film. wrap it up in cling film then 3.5 mins no eggy mess in pan and perfect poachy egg

cinnamon_girl

Remove from fridge 30 minutes before poaching.

Use proper egg poacher from T K Maxx.

Free range eggs, wholemeal bread and proper English butter.

Edit: poached eggs on toast is the food of the gods. 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I bring to boil salted (sea salt) water then turn heat down until it’s not boiling anymore then spin in a circular motion (whirlpool) with a whisk, wait until less aggravated, crack the egg into the middle and wait until cooked. If the egg needs a little more encouragement to cook, I turu up the heat again.

jambalaya
    Free Member

cling film method works well, you can snip the film shut with the plastic clips used for food bags

the chefs method is to add a little vinegar to the water and then spin the water to create a small whirlpool (not a raging torrent), break a fresh egg into a cup and then gently slide the egg into the centre of the pool. The water should be very gently simmering having been previously brought to the boil

+1 cinnanom girl, the food of gods.

traildog
    Free Member

What’s a ‘proper egg poacher pan?’ Surely a sauce pan is a ‘proper’ egg poaching pan?
    Following this thread as I’ve never quite mastered proper poached eggs.

honeybadgerx

Heathens! Not sure I agree with this new-fangled use of plastic-y stuff betwixt the egg and the water, cheating surely? I always thinks eggs from poached egg pans don’t taste as good but maybe it’s just in my mind.

scaled
    Free Member

Practice and a steady hand! I can now poach 4 eggs in one pan at the same time. Just boil some water, keep the heat on and gently crack the egg in to the water.

I have got a microwave poacher which makes rubbish poached eggs, however it gets used every week day for breakfast eggs.

miketually
    Free Member

Boil the egg for 20 seconds before cracking into the gently boiling water and simmering for 2 minutes.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

toys19
    Free Member

those egg poacher things are just shaped egg fryers..

alex222
    Free Member

Use proper egg poacher

Er don’t do that.

Slogo
    Free Member

those “poached egg pans” are not making real poached eggs they’re just fried in small cups

a real poached egg has to be submerged in water!

IanW
    Free Member

Just drop a fresh egg in a bit of hot/simmering water, wait until the prefered consistancy then eat.

Say no to gadgets, bags and definetly no to vinager.

cinnamon_girl

a real poached egg has to be submerged in water!

My water is like chalk, no thanks!

miketually
    Free Member

They’re not fried in those pans and the temperature’s too low, but they’re certainly not poached. Poached is much, much, much, much nicer.

IHN

Hot fat in a frying pan, crack egg into the hot fat.

Jamie
    Free Member
    BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

No they’re not – fried eggs are, well, fried. the poachers steam them, and steam is water in a slightly different format.

alfabus
    Free Member

I used to consume a vast quantity of poached eggs when we had chickens.

the trick is to use really really fresh eggs… then you don’t need any tricks at all. Just break the egg into simmering water.

I used to use a frying pan full of simmering water, and break 6 eggs into it. The eggs stay perfectly self contained, just pick them out when they’re cooked to your liking 🙂

DTH (doubt that helps)

Dave

alex222
    Free Member

water is like chalk

Move north to where water is not chalky and poached eggs are submerged.

toys19
    Free Member

No they’re not – fried eggs are, well, fried. the poachers steam them, and steam is water in a slightly different format.

Not if the steam heats up the bottom of a non stick pan. The pan frys the egg – thats what a “poacher ” does.

To be poached they have to be in contact with liquid water.

Christ I’m having poached egg on toast tonight.

A pair of poached eggs on dry cured bacon a few days ago. Shame I only had cheapo brown bread, really they needed some yummy home made soda bread like me mammy used to make.

greyman
    Free Member

Saucepan with ‘whirlpool’ method here. Seems to work just fine.
    Tried the vinegar thing in the past, didn’t really notice any difference, eggs seem to stay together without it.

I think I shall try the shallower frying pan method next time, and report back !

ebygomm
    Free Member

we have some silicon things that float in water that perform the cling film job

druidh
    Free Member

Back up a bit…..Eggs in a fridge????

alex222
    Free Member

we have some silicon things that float in water that perform the cling film job

Explain how you break an egg into some cling film without it going every where please

Jamie
    Free Member

Explain how you break an egg into some cling film without it going every where please

Get some microwaveable clingfilm
    Get a cup
    Push the cling film into the cup, and crack the egg into the cling film
    You should be able to tie the clingfilm around the top of the egg,
    Drop egg into boiling water, and poach normally

deus

Mmmmm duck eggs, even better than hens eggs.

alex222
    Free Member

Never spent ages scrubbing pan after poaching an egg.

Jamie
    Free Member

Never spent ages scrubbing pan after poaching an egg.

Glad to have answered your question.

alex222
    Free Member

Glad to have answered your question.

Much thanks my friend

Jamie
    Free Member

Much thanks my friend

Don’t mention. Happy to oblige!

binners

This is all very interesting, but does anyone know how they get the boiled egg into the centre of a pork pie?

I suspect witchcraft

wallop

How long in the water for a cling filmed eggy?

miketually
    Free Member

This is all very interesting, but does anyone know how they get the boiled egg into the centre of a pork pie?

They separate the yolks and whites, then use a syringe to inject them into the pork.

cinnamon_girl

Sorry toys but that pic looks like prison food! 😯

franksinatra

Whooooaa! Don’t forget Heinz Ketchup on the side!

franksinatra

and must be accompanied with a cup of tea. Any other beverage would be perverse in the circumstances.

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVYESxgpzcs[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Perfect poached eggs – how do you do yours?’ is closed to new replies.