• This topic has 76 replies, 49 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Perfect poached eggs – how do you do yours?
  • binners

Aaaaaaaah the Great British Bake Off. Everything is at one with the world 😀

toys19
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Sorry toys but that pic looks like prison food!

Crappy camera fone gives it a yellow tint. I promise you it was delicious.

stuey
    Free Member

Mmmm coddled.

fasthaggis

🙂

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Ahhh, the joys of having someone on the yard where I live who keeps chickens – fresh poached eggs every morning! Pan of simmering water, no swirling/vinegar, crack eggs in, put toast in toaster. When toast is done, butter toast and remove eggs from pan. Salt, pepper, bit of ketchup, give the stray white bits in pan to the dog, go eat outside on the yard with a cuppa whilst the horses are eating their breakfast.

Job done 🙂

Cougar

Remove from fridge 30 minutes before poaching.

You shouldn’t store eggs in the fridge, it, er, does something. Breaks down the cells, or something.

Eggs suffer from osmosis; they’ll absorb moisture from the air, so you should always keep them in their box.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Boil up a sauce pan of water,
    Crack an egg into the middle of it,
    Fish out when it looks like it’s done.

Why the hell are the rest of you having such problems?

chvck
    Free Member

Boil up a sauce pan of water,
    Crack an egg into the middle of it,
    Fish out when it looks like it’s done.

Yup, that’s the one.

Jamie
    Free Member

Why the hell are the rest of you having such problems?

Because we’re just not as awesome as you! OK!

*runs out the room crying*

sadexpunk

I’m just about to try cutting both ends out of tins of tuna, and using the hollow tins in a shallow pan full of boiling water. Hopefully the tins will keep the eggs together in a nice shape. First problem tho is that the tin opener doesn’t seem to want to open the bottom of the tin as its a slightly different shape. I need a plan 🙂

Squidlord
    Free Member

Nice idea with the tuna tin.

Two sardine cans would give you a pair of fried eggs that are an ideal shape for sandwiches.

…If rather thick.

Complicated, isn’t it?

colournoise

Fresh eggs.
    Lots of water. Heat to the point where bubbles are just rising from the bottom.
    No vinegar. No stirring.
    Break egg into a ramakin or similar.
    ‘Plop’ egg gently into water.
    When egg is done to your liking drain on some kitchen towel.

If doing loads, cook for about 30 seconds less than you usually would then plunge into iced water and drain. Will keep until ready when you just put them all back into hot water for that 30 seconds or so to warm up and finish cooking.

slainte 😀 rob

thecrookofdevon

Okay. Coffee machine has to be warmed up for 20 minutes prior in order to get best crema. This is usually done upon returning from ride. Bring regular saucepan of water to boil. Crack 2 eggs straight into the water. No need for any stirring or vinegar or salt. Homemade bread into toaster. Pan back up to boil. Make perfect coffee usually a macciatto with 1 sugar. Turn off heat when back boiling and put lid on pan. When toast is done butter generously. Eggs will now be perfect and not stuck to the pan and can be removed with slotted spoon.
    Agree this food of the Gods. Superb after ride having cleaned bike and showered.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

No mention of lots of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sea salt to taste. It’s only worthwhile with fresh free range eggs and rustic wholemeal toast.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Fresh egg, not from the fridge, boiling water in the pan with a few shakes of vinegar in and a bit of salt if you like

Take off the boil, spin the water round with a spoon, crack and drop the egg into the centre of the vortex, bring back up to a simmer until done.

Remove with a spoon with holes in.

Repeat

Serve on muffins with ham and some hollandaise sauce.

BTW a chef told me how to do eggs so it must be right. The key is the spinning. Not too fast though, just enough to keep the egg in the middle, it’s not as fast as you’d imagine.

chvck
    Free Member

It’s only worthwhile with fresh free range eggs and rustic wholemeal toast.

I use caged eggs from the fridge on Hovis toast and it does me grand!

labsey
    Free Member

Eggs in a fridge????

I get in trouble from Mrs Labsey if I put eggs in the fridge but here’s a question (slightly off topic). If we shouldn’t put eggs in the fridge, why do fridges come with egg holders?

For the OP, I use a poaching pan, probably the Asda one, just make sure it doesn’t boil dry or the egg holders melt. Yes that’s from experience.

bruk

I ask the wife for some and they arrive perfectly cooked, think she uses vinegar and swirl.

Non, Nom, Nom.

Trekster

Lots of conflicting advice if you google it
    Coming from a farming background and not having such expensive luxuries such as fridges we never had that option. 🙄 Eggs, milk and lamb were straight from source :D. Used to drink the milk straight from teet whilst hand milking the Jersey cows 😆 have a laugh with that one when doing diet stuff with docs/nurses at health checks 🙄
    Delis does it like this

Cougar

If we shouldn’t put eggs in the fridge, why do fridges come with egg holders?

To avoid missed sales due to people thinking “I’m not buying that fridge, where am I going to put my eggs?”

convert

Clingfilm wierdos – don’t you feel a bit odd taking your egg out of its perfectly functional natural container and effectively making yourself a wobbly shaped boiled egg in a rank bit of plastic? Don’t compute.

convert

Re egg storage – I thought the most important bit is that they were kept at a constant temperature which in a domestic kitchen is best achieved in a fridge.Going above 20degs for periods will significantly reduce the life. They last less time at a constant room temperature than a constant fridge temperature but apparently taste better for longer at room temp and a room temp egg is better to cook with.

kevj
    Free Member

^ I struggle with long sentences

First of all you need a craster smoked kippers.

Then you need to shop for fresh eggs, thick cut Brown bread and some full fat butter.

Then, choose the best cooking method for the eggs from above and combine with a liberal sprinkling of salt and cracked black pepper.

Perfect poached eggs; done.

(assumes toasting bread doesn’t need instruction)

tbag
    Free Member

cooked however they come, each on a crumpet

Zoolander
    Free Member

Cling film, it’s weird but it works.

thecrookofdevon

+1 for the freshly ground pepper and sea salt. My apologies for the omission.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Then you need to shop for fresh eggs

Nope, some of us just saunter out to the coop and pick them up

However, where I can’t comment on this

craster smoked kipper

I can state unequivocallly that feeding smoked fish to chickens will produce eggs that are some way off perfect, no matter how much you like eggs and smoked fish.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Think I’ll have to have eggs benedict tomorrow for breakfast now. Oh well.

Lactic
    Free Member

The fridge thing is because eggs are porous and absorb air over time (old eggs float). So if you keep your eggs in the fridge they will end up tasting of whatever your fridge smells of, cheese, curry, rotting veg, dismembered murder victims etc. Probably no big deal for a poached egg but not ideal for a cake.

Anyone tried boiling it in the shell for a minute before cracking it and poaching? Hairy bikers reckon its the the best way but I just got another stringy mess and partial thickness burns to my hands.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Cling film poached egg, just tried it, bit of a disaster so I think I’ll just stick with the swirling of near boiling water in a pan thank you.

restless
    Free Member

I tried a microwave egg poacher once but it exploded all over the inside of the microwave and was a complete nightmare to clean off.

I just poach an egg in a pan of swirled hot water, taken off the heat, until my toast is done.

ask1974
    Free Member

I’ve been using these for years, perfect every time and no faffing about. You can fit two in a decent sized saucepan.

Mine came from France but you can buy here

Bunnyhop

Nope, some of us just saunter out to the co op and pick them up

ftfy.

z1ppy

well I just tried the cling film method and it works, though a complete the faffing involved was an arse (along with trying to figure when they were done), but overall not a bad method.
    Though better results than our poacher.

alex222
    Free Member

cling film does produce excellent eggs.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Coddled eggs- its the future;

DrP

I just stick an egg, shell an’ all, in the microwave for 15 minutes on full.

Not sure what it achieves, but is a laff……

DrP

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Perfect poached eggs – how do you do yours?’ is closed to new replies.