• This topic has 43 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • People who think indicating entitles them to just pull out.
  • bsims
    Free Member

I’m not convinced – Most people don’t brake hard enough as it is so the ABS wont kick in. People can’t beat it because skill levels have decreases and people are unable to modulate the brakes effectively. It could well take more skill than the average driver has. That does not mean that it is not doable with practice, which is the issue with driver aids de skilling people. High performance pads help with this as you can feel more through the pedal. Modern pads especially from the Germans have a real grabby on/ off feel.

I will now spend the next few weeks testing this – with no one behind me obvs! I suspect the first thing I will find is with the  ESP etc turned off.. it will turn back on when I really stand on the brakes!

tjagain

Of course martymac. 😉
    I used to actually practice braking hard to front wheel lock up and back again on my motorbikes and bicycles so I wouldn’t fall off if I locked the wheel in an emergency.  Cadence braking on a bike is fun

bigyan
    Free Member

Last report (2009) I saw 4 channel ABS reduced stopping distance by 5% dry, 14% wet on tarmac.

A human cannot operate each brake caliper independently, nor vary the pressure 15 times/second. Modern ABS with ESP is pretty impressive.

On track I can brake later/harder with ABS, far less in a panic situation.

Traction control etc was not banned from F1 because the drivers were better than the computers.

bsims
    Free Member

I’m not saying it isn’t impressive and the advent of esp/ ebd etc moved abs forwards massively. I think the fact that we are discussing this would suggest there will be varying opinion from our possession, of a grasp of the theory of driver aids to those who think abs is there to allow them to drive like a d!k or not pay attention.

I am sure if i just stand on the brakes the ABS will stop me quicker in a straight line but I think that I can modulate to stop quicker without. I think on a curve/ mud on the road etc ABS will win which is what is was designed for to help drivers out in a panic situation not be a cure for bad driving.  I have read the info and seen YouTube but those tests were done by idiots!

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘People who think indicating entitles them to just pull out.’ is closed to new replies.