Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Parking on front of dropped kerb…
  • 5plusn8
    Free Member

Grrrrr.
    I normally park on my drive, for the last week I have had a few dumpy bags of topsoil on my drive for some raised beds. There are still 2 bags there. So nobody can park on my drive.
    On friday somebody parked in front of my drive, I wasn’t too bothered as its xmas but they are still there tonight and I am due a delivery of timber at 8am tomorrow.
    So I foned the cops, they said because I wasn’t blocked in tough shit.
    I asked all they have to do is call the owner and ask them to move by 8am they still said tough shit.
    Malto annoyed.

scaredypants

couple of mates and a trolley jack ?

Failing that get the timber dropped nice and close in front & behind the car

5plusn8
    Free Member

Sounds fun, but I am not one for courting trouble.

parkesie
    Free Member

Add some wheel weights to the wheels.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Rule 243 “do not” means: advice and can’t enforce against it. Waste of electrons even printing it if it is unenforceable.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

Phil_H

Will the timber lorry have a hiab?

crashrash

Got similar issues at my house – though mostly annoying and ignorant tourists – generally they move when you ask though one chap told me to **** off. I just reported the car as stolen and abandoned. Police took it away two days later!

ajantom

Have you checked the tax and mot on the car using the DVLA site?
    Worth doing as if it’s untaxed or unmoted then the police might be more inclined to deal with it, ir if you decide to move it the owner will get less inclined to complain.

nickjb
    Free Member

Seems fair enough. You aren’t using the drive for a car so the space in front is fair game imo. We have a few dropped kerbs on our road. Some people use their driveway/garage, some don’t. Those that do don’t get parked in front of.

That said if you are expecting a delivery then it’s ok to ask them to move and put a cone or Wheely bin out to save the space (although no requirement for them to comply other than politeness)

5plusn8
    Free Member

You aren’t using the drive for a car so the space in front is fair game imo.

I am using it and I need access, just cos it isn’t a car doesnt mean its OK to block me in though does it.

teethgrinder

Glue fine sand to the wipers, loosen the sump plug.

nickjb
    Free Member

Except you aren’t blocked in are you? I understand it’s a bit annoying but it is a public highway.

BoardinBob

Seems fair enough. You aren’t using the drive for a car so the space in front is fair game imo. We have a few dropped kerbs on our road. Some people use their driveway/garage, some don’t. Those that do don’t get parked in front of.

A random person drives into your street

How do they know what drives aren’t used?

simondbarnes

Yes, criminal damage is always the best answer in these cases.

scotroutes

I am using it and I need access, just cos it isn’t a car doesnt mean its OK to block me in though does it.

The car isn’t blocking you in, it’s blocking you out. This is why the Police aren’t interested.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Except you aren’t blocked in are you?

The dumpy bags that I want moved are blocked in. I cannot access my own property.

5plusn8
    Free Member

The car isn’t blocking you in, it’s blocking you out. This is why the Police aren’t interested.

Indeed, it isn’t even breaking any law. That’s why I am so annoyed.

iainc

Have you asked neighbours if they know whose it is ?

neilwheel
    Free Member

It’s a bit too late now, but have you tried putting a note on the screen?

singlespeedstu

teethgrinder – Member

Do you live in toytown.
    Ask the neighbours if it’s anything to do with them, if it’s not move it out of the way in whatever way you see fit.
    There are quite a few options for this…

nickjb
    Free Member

A random person drives into your street

How do they know what drives aren’t used?A couple are obvious, covered in plants. The rest less so. That means random people don’t park there which leaves space for locals in the know. It’d be a waste not to use the spaces.

wordnumb
    Free Member

5plusn8, check with yr local authority. Some authorities enforce drop kerbs under s84/s86 Traffic Management Act 2004, Police might not be aware.

simmy
    Free Member

My mate has had this issue recently so I asked the local traffic cops and got this response

Hi,

If a vehicle is blocking a legal driveway with a drop kerb and there’s no car on the drive it can still be issued with a TOR for unnecessary obstruction we call this more an inconvenience. If a car is blocking a drive and there’s a car on the drive that needs to get off it’s issued with the sane TOR but we can also tow it away.

Cars blocking drop kerbs especially with tactile paving can also be issued with a unnecessary obstruction TOR. This does not include driveways from kerbs.

5plusn8
    Free Member

simmy, our local force did do this, but it seems they have decided not to anymore. I have had this issue before and a cop was able to trace the owner and call them to ask them to move. One time owner did not answer so cops ticketed them. Was about 10years ago though.

ajantom

Feel lucky it’s just your drive.
    I live in Ottery St Mary (famous for the Nov 5th Tar Barrels, when thousands of drunks invade the town).
    Last year someone actually parked on my lawn.

*edit….I may have put cat poo on their door handles 😳

5plusn8
    Free Member

Last year someone actually parked on my lawn.

Blimey, were you able to do anything about it?

It isn’t a major problem as long as they are gone by the time my delivery comes.

ajantom

Blimey, were you able to do anything about it?

See edit above ^
    Police too busy dealing with 1000’s of drunks, and only one road open into the town.

I suspect my method means they won’t do it again!

simmy
    Free Member

simmy, our local force did do this

I forgot to say, I’m in Manchester

What area are you ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Reading this thread has proved yet again that some on here are inconsiderate towards others.
    No surprise.

angeldust
    Free Member

What sort of turd thinks it’s okay to park in front of a dropped curb if there is no car parked in the driveway? Idiots.

Wouldn’t that mean it’s only worth having a driveway with a parking space and a drooped curb, if you never moved your car from the driveway (for those hard of thinking, what would be the point in that?). The lack of self awareness from certain people we get on here continues to astonish me. I’d love to hear the imbeciles above justify their thought process on how they think this is okay? Wouldn’t it mean that when the owner returns there is one more car to park on what is likely to be a very packed road? Doubt they would have even thought about that.

alextemper
    Free Member

I may be reading some commments the wrong way but are some people seriously suggesting it’s acceptable to park across a driveway if there are no cars parked in it and block access into the driveway?

OP, does yours have a solid while line painted across it or is it of of the newer drop kerb conversions that was applied for?

angeldust
    Free Member

I find it hard to believe, but people do seem to be suggesting exactly that alextemper.

nickjb
    Free Member

I may be reading some commments the wrong way but are some people seriously suggesting it’s acceptable to park across a driveway if there are no cars parked in it and block access into the driveway?

I don’t think so. Just that dropped kerbs that aren’t in use are fair game

Wouldn’t it mean that when the owner returns there is one more car to park on what is likely to be a very packed road?

Nope. It’s exactly the same number. Maybe give it some more thought before hurling abuse, although the point is somewhat moot as no-one is suggesting parking in front of an active driveway despite what you think.

angeldust
    Free Member

nickjb – Member

nickjb – Member

Except you aren’t blocked in are you? I understand it’s a bit annoying but it is a public highway.

Probably best to let us know if this is a misunderstanding or trolling, otherwise I’ll have to conclude you are a first class doofus.

Kryton is expressing a sigh of relief, as the ‘gross profiteering’ post is no longer the most stupid thing I’ve read on STW this year.

nickjb
    Free Member

Probably best to let us know if this is a misunderstanding

Yep. Pretty sure you are misunderstanding 😆

angeldust
    Free Member

Nope. It’s exactly the same number. Maybe give it some more thought before hurling abuse, although the point is somewhat moot as no-one is suggesting parking in front of an active driveway despite what you think.

5plusn8 – Member

Except you aren’t blocked in are you?

The dumpy bags that I want moved are blocked in. I cannot access my own property.

5plusn8 – Member

Grrrrr.
    I normally park on my drive, for the last week I have had a few dumpy bags of topsoil on my drive for some raised beds. There are still 2 bags there. So nobody can park on my drive.

It’s clearly active.

dmorts

are some people seriously suggesting it’s acceptable to park across a driveway if there are no cars parked in it and block access into the driveway?

It’s more that it’s not illegal… which is bonkers. In Scotland it’s even worse, there’s very little you can do if someone decides to park their car on your property.

angeldust
    Free Member

What exactly are you suggesting then?

alextemper
    Free Member

Angeldust, I thought it was just me. Following a similar theme there have been double yellows introduced recently along the side of my house and the opposite side of the road as the continuous double parking on both sides caused access issues into the road for emergency vehicles. These lines also run across my driveway. For some reason people now parking illegally think it’s better to park on the yellows and block my driveway rather than park on the same stretch of lines on the road 20 yards down by the side of my house.

I’d love to know the thought process that goes on to make this type of decision.

ebennett

Just that dropped kerbs that aren’t in use are fair game

And who decides they aren’t in use? Fair enough if you’ve spoken to the owner and they’ve said they don’t use the drive, but in the OP’s case I’d hardly say it’s fair game, stuff on the drive would suggest access is needed. In their case it seems like whoever parked in front of it is a bit of a prick.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Parking on front of dropped kerb…’ is closed to new replies.