Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Parking on front of dropped kerb…
  • Russell96

Good spot, the bunch that eventually morphed into supplying the nails.

sbob
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member

Yes, criminal damage is always the best answer in these cases.

Agreed.
    Put all the windows in, that’ll learn ’em.

RichPenny
    Free Member

nickjb, your crystal ball need to go on the best xmas presents thread!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The driveway wasn’t in use needing vehicle access as stated by the OP. Also as clearly demonstrated by a car being parked there and not being an issue. Now that situation has changed and it’s become a problem but this is four days after the original parking

Probably sums up why making an assumption that a drive isn’t being used is a bad one. Unless you know and have spoken to the owner and agreed that nothing will change from the instant that you leave until you get back you don’t know.
    So rather than guessing and assuming just don’t block drives.

5plusn8
    Free Member

The driveway was in use, as a place to transit goods and materials in and of the property. Car is not king, I think it is ok to use my drivewayway to store a car, topsoil, my shopping whilst I look for my keys, etc, etc

giantalkali
    Free Member

Can you lean a bin on it or something?

maccruiskeen

Have you asked neighbours if they know whose it is ?

They all know – they’re in cahoots. They all chipped in and hired a car to park there to prevent the OP doing any DIY on Boxing Day

Poopscoop

maccruiskeen – Member
    Have you asked neighbours if they know whose it is ?
    They all know. They’re ganging up to prevent the OP doing any DIY on Boxing Day

You evil genius! 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

I may have once moved a car with a mini digger. Bell end parked right in front of our site entrance. We might have moved it actually on to site and also fenced it in. He was a charmer when he found it not where he left it 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Well, no it wasn’t, which is why the OP wasn’t bothered (and it appears wouldn’t have been bothered for the last couple of weeks). Drive was in use as a place to store stuff, but the drop kerb wasn’t – if you’re just using your drive for storage then you don’t need the drop kerb. As far as the law is concerned the car is king.

Inconsiderate parking is one of my bugbears though – but personally I tend to be bothered by people who are actually breaking the law by parking on the pavement (something which the police are less likely to be interested in than blocking dropped kerbs, because as pointed out the car is king). Went down the park with my kids yesterday and had to squeeze past cars to get there – I understand parking gets difficult with lots of people visiting, but in all cases there was space to park without blocking the pavement if people could be bothered spending a minute doing it properly. What really grinds my gears though are the people who consistently park on the pavement at the end of a line of other cars all parked on the road, where there is plenty of space to park on the road.

matt_outandabout

Last year someone actually parked on my lawn.

In my old house, in major tourist village, the local garage left two hire vehicles for my work hidden around back of house, on the lawn, however it was the old railway line section of lawn.
    The vehicles on hire were Landrover 110’s.

Unfortunately some visiting Landrover fanboi club saw them and thought that was their meeting point. I arrived home to find 12 different landy’s just parked on our grass…

Oh, they were a bit apologetic and embarrassed… 😆

5plusn8
    Free Member

Aracer – Well, no it wasn’t, which is why the OP wasn’t bothered (and it appears wouldn’t have been bothered for the last couple of weeks).

I am the OP…. And I was using it. To transit goods into and out of property.
    If you ask me a dumpy bag or two of material = activity. I am reasonable which is why it didn’t bother me from friday through to yesterday evening when I started to get worried about my delivery.

The biggest issue I have with nickjb’s approach is that we actually manage our driveway very considerately. We need two cars, drive is only big enough for one, and I always block my wife in or vice versa so that we don’t take any other spaces on the street, and think ahead about who parks first. I knew that parking would be short over xmas due to my dumpy bag activity, so left my car in works car park as we don’t need two for at least 4/5 days.

Anyway all sorted now. Called Council this morning as my delivery could not get access, they tried to contact owner, not a local, no response on mobile or Birmingham no where car registered so I said I was happy to wait until midday, but still nothing so they have just towed it away. Timber merchant has kindly agreed to return this afternoon to effect delivery and help move the dumpy bags with his crane. Motorcycle traffic warden told me, as wordnumb and simmy mentioned, they do enforce s84, just not via the cops. Apparently its a money maker for the LA.

irc

Called Council this morning as my delivery could not get access, they tried to contact owner, not a local, no response on mobile or Birmingham no where car registered so I said I was happy to wait until midday, but still nothing so they have just towed it away.

Result! Driveway access and a tow bill for the eejit who thought blocking a drive was OK.

aracer
    Free Member

Which use doesn’t require a drop kerb, or access to the drop kerb.

I am reasonable which is why it didn’t bother me from friday through to yesterday evening when I started to get worried about my delivery.

Just in case there is any doubt, I agree it became a problem as you did need access for the delivery. Parking across a drop kerb which clearly isn’t in use because of material on the driveway might be acceptable for a few hours (though clearly the drive being blocked doesn’t preclude the need for access for a delivery), leaving a car there for days is the work of a nobber.

aracer
    Free Member

I am reasonable which is why it didn’t bother me from friday through to yesterday evening when I started to get worried about my delivery.

Just in case there is any doubt, I agree it became a problem as you did need access for the delivery. Parking across a drop kerb which clearly isn’t in use because of material on the driveway might be acceptable for a few hours (though clearly the drive being blocked doesn’t preclude the need for access for a delivery), leaving a car there for days is the work of a nobber.

aracer
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

awaits duanes new thread to compliment the parking tickets thread.

“car isnt where i left it”

5plusn8
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    awaits duanes new thread to compliment the parking tickets thread.

“car isnt where i left it”

The last one towed from out front, 10 or so years ago, knocked on the door to enquire, I am waiting..

RichPenny
    Free Member

Parking across a drop kerb which clearly isn’t in use because of material on the driveway might be acceptable for a few hours (though clearly the drive being blocked doesn’t preclude the need for access for a delivery)

Nope, it’s only acceptable if you know no access is needed. So not in this case then, hence why the car was towed. Parker had no idea if the bags needed moving that day, that hour, or that minute. Just a selfish **** then.

Lifer
    Free Member

I hate a mid series break

5plusn8
    Free Member

I can report zero attention from the towee.. /end

BoardinBob

Parking across a drop kerb which clearly isn’t in use because of material on the driveway might be acceptable for a few hours

Even for this place, this is a new level of bellendery

Are you honestly saying if you drove into a street, saw some materials on a driveway, you’d think that the drive isn’t in use and just park across it.

How do you know those materials aren’t waiting to be removed? How do you know more materials aren’t about to be delivered? In both instances access could be needed, and that’s not for you to decide.

There’s a really simple, easy rule to follow. Don’t park across a drive unless you own it, or you have the express permission of the owner. Unless you’re the owner, you don’t get to decide or know if the drive is in use at any point in time.

cakeandcheese

Hmm, this topic opens up an area I’ve been unsure about following my own altercations.

I live on a busy city street where parking spaces are usually at >90% taken, often nose to tail all the way up. Most houses have a drive way (with dropped kerb) but most are unused. Some are clearly used for access to a garage, but a good number are used as additional garden with plants, bins and even furniture. I’ve noticed that most of these are parked over on a daily basis by random cars. Drives that are used (by cars or otherwise, for example there is a tradesman who loads his van each morning from his garage) are well respected.

I should point out that we have a drive and have three cars. Two are always on the drive, one lives on the road.

There was one house a few doors up though, where despite the drive clearly being out of use (plants covering the entirety of the drive) the owners would put angrily worded notes on windscreens of cars parked out the front of their house. I was the recipient of one of these notes a couple of years ago, and as a considerate neighbour, took it upon myself to never park next to the dropped kerb again, but also to make sure that there wasn’t space for anyone else to do so by parking up to the dropped section when possible.

Unfortunately for the owners, that also precluded the parking of their two Skoda Octavias directly outside their property. The entrance to their drive was clear, but they chose not to park on it. And that’s the point I was trying to make to them. Where drives are used then they are respected (especially when building work is going on, as is currently happening a few doors up). But they considered the dropped kerb to simply maintain a privileged parking position on the road for themselves.

It didn’t help that these neighbours were general twunts. For example, they’d bring their caravan out of storage and put it on the road a couple of weeks before going away, hitch up one car and take 15m of parking (and not over their drive I might add). This was never a problem with other residents including myself, but when I cheerily enquired if they were going anywhere nice, they blanked me and scuttled indoors.

Thankfully they’ve since moved and the new owners are very pleasant.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Parking on front of dropped kerb…’ is closed to new replies.