Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Parcelforce driver tried to knock me off road – what next?
  • butcher

A good few years ago now, I had a Parcelforce driver try to rush past and (unsuccessfully) left hook me at a give way/crossroads as I was going straight ahead (in primary position). Parcelforce didn’t even respond to my complaint.

I still use other couriers wherever possible.

richmtb

This sounds bizarre. Why would a van driver react to being followed down a hill?

Maybe his wife left him for a roadie?

wbm1874

In a surprising coincidence, Parcelforce now want to talk to me, mere hours after telling them I’d made a complaint to the police.

tjagain

Cookea
    This is in Edinburgh. Edinburgh cops ime are good with this sort of issue and will do the little they can
    I reported two road rage incidents without me getting the number plates. Both times the cops checked cctv. Once the camera was pointed the wrong way. The other they could see the incident but couldn’t get the number.

Edinburgh cops have a lot of cyclists and motor cyclists amongst them and they take road rage seriously. Edinburgh has a lot of cyclists and a high rate of cyclists injuries. It’s a priority area for the police.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Edinburgh cops have a lot of cyclists and motor cyclists amongst them and they take road rage seriously. Edinburgh has a lot of cyclists and a high rate of cyclists injuries. It’s a priority area for the police.

They’ve even got cyclists in the armed response unit. Met a couple of them in Les Arcs last summer.

Might be handy if you have a run in with the Edinburgh Mafia, as opposed to Parcelforce.

martinhutch

They’ve even got cyclists in the armed response unit. Met a couple of them in Les Arcs last summer.

Was it like the opening scene of The spy who loved me, only on a double black?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Was it like the opening scene of The spy who loved me, only on a double black?

I certainly could have done with the parachute.

boblo
    Free Member

Who on earth were they chasing all the way to France, must have taken ages to get there… 😊

I had a run in with the local bin men on a bit of single track road near me a couple of years ago. I was running towards them, they didn’t slow or deviate in any way. I had to jump off the road to avoid getting squished.

Complaint to Chief Exec and subject access request for vehicle footage. Initially there were a few attempts to fob me off but I eventually got what I wanted. The next time I met the lorry in the same place, the driver slowed right down and pulled over as much as he could in 8′ of road.

Follow it up. They’ll have trackers and likely cameras. You’re entitled to the footage if you’re in the pics.

wbm1874

Might be handy if you have a run in with the Edinburgh Mafia, as opposed to Parcelforce.

There’s a difference?

ThePinkster

Oh I don’t know, sounds like it might be useful with Parcelforce too 😉

wbm1874

Barnton Ave?
    If so it is normally pretty busy with cyclists. Were there no other witnesses? You could stick up a note.

Just along a bit, Brae Park Road, just before Cramond Brig. One cyclist would’ve seen me take the photo of the van, but wouldn’t have really witnessed anything. The folk getting the delivery would probably have heard the commotion though.

wbm1874

Police have taken a statement. They’re off to find out who he is before acting further. Unlikely any charges as no real evidence, depends on his previous. Police say they’ll call back next week, but left assurances that he’d be getting an awkward visit at his depot in the next couple of days to at least be told he’s now on the police radar.

No response from Parcelforce after they asked for my contact details earlier, maybe something will come from that tomorrow.

Now I need to see if my cycling or business insurance can end up with a nasty bill to him for the past couple of day’s lost income…

wbm1874

I’ve just had a call from the depot manager. He didn’t sound happy at all, claims to be a cyclist. “Absolutely unacceptable behaviour”. Sounds like the initial response from the driver has sealed his fate, job-wise.

I also got in touch earlier with the British Cycling incident team, should hear from a lawyer later today about claiming my losses from him. The depot manager was fully supportive of this action.

And as a finale, the dude is due a visit from the police today – it sounded like his boss might be quite helpful with this too.

Too soon to shout “Result!” but I’m feeling a lot better knowing something is now being done about the incident, maybe make the **** think twice before trying anything like this again.

razorrazoo

wbm – what losses are you wanting to claim for (sorry, I did re-read but didn’t find anything)?

Good news that it looks like something has been done about it.  I’m road riding a lot more these days and already fed up of aggressive / passive-aggressive drivers.

martymac

Well yes, the result you want is nobody else is put in danger from this guys driving. There’s no need for it.
    I agree it is bizarre though, i mean wgas if someone follows them down a hill ffs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good work, fingers crossed it gets dealt with satisfactorily.

Shows that the best way to make sure nothing gets done about such incidents is to just assume that nothing will be done – and not to report them.

wbm1874

wbm – what losses are you wanting to claim for (sorry, I did re-read but didn’t find anything)?

Sorry, should’ve said I’m self-employed. Been unable to concentrate on anything all week, so also have been unable to bill my client for those days as zero work done. I’ll be looking for that lost income.

If BC don’t think they can get it, I’ll make a claim on my business’ insurance, leave it up to Hiscox if they want to get the money back from him. I’d imagine they will.

wbm1874

Shows that the best way to make sure nothing gets done about such incidents is to just assume that nothing will be done – and not to report them.

That’s pretty much what his manager said.

FB-ATB

Good result, lets hope he reflects and his comment

“yous [cyclists] are always up and down this hill like f***ing idiots”

doesn’t lead to another incident with “you cyclists cost me my job” added.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good result, lets hope he reflects and his comment

“yous [cyclists] are always up and down this hill like f***ing idiots”

In an ideal world, he’d be forced to become a cyclist himself because he wouldn’t have a driving license any more.

wbm1874

That was my worry too, but I don’t think my actions have made him any more dangerous. He was already willing to maim for a minor annoyance, this is just going to add one more thing to his already long list of things that annoy him.

Needs his licence taken off him really, but that’s not going to happen from this incident alone.

munrobiker
    Free Member

That’s national cycle route 1! Of course it’s full of cyclists!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sounds positive result against a dangerous sounding driver so far.

wbm1874

That’s national cycle route 1! Of course it’s full of cyclists!

It’s especially full of inexperienced cyclists and families recently.

If I hadn’t had my foot clipped in to lift the rear wheel out of the way, I would’ve been under the van. Similarly, if I hadn’t stopped close enough to the side of the road to be able see his near-side mirror, I’d be under the van. Most other users of that road wouldn’t have been so fortunate.

cinnamon_girl

Well done for persevering @wbm1874 and the sooner the idiot is off the road the better.

amedias
    Free Member

I agree it is bizarre though, i mean wgas if someone follows them down a hill ffs.

It is bizarre, I’ve had an ‘experience’ with this though.

Some guy took exception to me following him down a hill (me on bike, him in car, plenty of room though, I like to ride fast downhill but I’m not stupid enough to tailgate) and brake checked me twice, and then did a full on emergency-stop (on a NSL road I might add) and got out to have a proper shout at me for “being too f’ing close, you’ll run into the back of someone if you keep riding like that you f’ing see-you-next-tuesday

If that wasn’t bizarre enough, when I pointed out that the irony of the fact that I didn’t crash into the back of him, despite him apparently trying his hardest to make it happen was entirely lost on him, he then came out with this blinder:

just get out of my f’ing way, you cyclists think you own the road!

emboldened for emphasis and reminder – I was behind him

People are crazy

kerley
    Free Member

People are crazy

They are, and every time you get into an encounter you have to hope that they are not psycho violent crazy and you may not get away with a bit of swearing…

singletrackmind

i was on an open road TT , and on a fast-ish downhill section the pick – up in front makes a sudden decision to stop and make a right turn .( fish and chip van)
    Que me doing a full on emergency stop with the back of the bike fishtaling around and me trying not to use my face as an E brake on the pick up tailboard.
    The car behind me starts blasting his horn , and that is really helpfull how exactly? some drivers are weirdo’s

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Parcelforce driver tried to knock me off road – what next?’ is closed to new replies.