Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Parcelforce driver tried to knock me off road – what next?
  • wbm1874

I was out for a cycle this morning. Was going down a hill with a parcelforce van in front. I kept a safe distance, made sure we’d both seen each other in his mirror. We get to the bottom of the hill, he slams on his brakes. I stopped with a clear car length between us, on the inside so could still see his mirror.

While I was still thinking WTF, the van was put in reverse, throttle stamped on with it pointing straight at me. I had to pull me and my bike into the verge to get out of the way.

In the shouting match after he made it clear just what he thought about cyclists (not good, unsurprisingly enough) as well as aggressive “what you going to do about it?” stuff. He reckoned I deserved it because “yous [cyclists] are always up and down this hill like f***ing idiots”. The hill is on NCN1, on a cul-de-sac for cars…

I’ve made a complaint to parcelforce via twitter, but just got a “his boss will have a chat with him”. That really doesn’t feel like enough: if I used my company’s assets as a weapon, or assaulted someone in company clothing, I’d lose my job.

Is it worth it making a complaint to the police? There’s no corroboration beyond my strava and his van’s gps tracking.

I’m in Edinburgh for what it’s worth (aware that some cops are more useful than others).

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Bloody hell. I’m thinking now and more about getting a camera for when I’m on the roads…

trumpton

I’d contact the police for sure. They then can deal with parcel forth. that’s quite serious and I am sure they will respond.

mashr

Parcelforce in Edinburgh?! You’re lucky he didn’t laser you!!!*

Yes, report it to the police though

*This may be a reference to a very old thread.

and I am sure they will respond.

I’m quite sure they’ll do sweet **** all

Camera (after horse has bolted)

I sympathise (two recent near-misses, one aggressive) and yes to reporting his actions to the police, but no video-footage often = no dice.

Thankfully you’re not hurt.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Ihave found Edinburgh police very helpful and willing with stuff like this ( 3 reports of road rage)

However without some sort of corroboration nothing much can be done

Any CCTV around? there s a lot in Edinburgh.

I would report it to the police as an assault ( it is) and make it clear you want an investigation and action

Premier Icon kcal
    Subscriber

Suspect it varies with police forces – reported a close pass over the festive holidays, went in to report it personally after initial call to 101 – I didn’t think much would happen at all, but they did (it seems) contact the driver, make him aware his driving was below standard, and got back to me that they’d followed it up.

Not saying they’d prosecute, but taking a reg number and details may help if anything happens in future (or is already on the books).

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Definitely report to police; after that go back to Parcelforce telling them…police are involved, you require a formal written apology from the driver and will escalate if not received, you want sight of their cyclist awareness policy.

wbm1874

Thanks for the advice everyone.

No CCTV, no camera on bike. I would’ve called the police straight away if I’d had a camera.

I’ll give it a day, just in case I get something more back from parcelforce (I told them I didn’t think a wee chat was sufficient), contact the police tomorrow if nothing happens.

On a related note: any recommendations for a decent camera?

wbm1874

Oh, should’ve said: I got a photo of the van at the incident, if that helps.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

I’m a professional driver (in a different industry)
    Please report it.
    It may not achieve anything on its own, but you may be the 2nd/3rd/14th person to complain in a month.
    A company may not seem interested, but they won’t ignore umpteen complaints.
    Do it for your sanity, for the safety of others, and for me, this **** is making decent drivers look bad by association.

mashr

I’ll give it a day, just in case I get something more back from parcelforce

Police should be involved regardless

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Contact the police now.

Explain you had to jump out of the way as he pointed his vehicle at you.

It’s not just a normal close pass.

As someone who had a moron in a car deliberately drive over my bike (I.e. I had damage to show for it), I can sadly confirm that the police are likely to do sweet FA.

Premier Icon connect2
    Subscriber

Could the PF van have a dash cam? No idea how you would get access to the footage but it might show him reversing for no apparent reason and lend weight to your side of the story

Gotama

What camera would those that commute use out of interest? Is Go Pro the easiest option or is there something simpler?

poly

Report to police. Make sure to comment Which parts caused you fear and alarm (if it did).

However without some sort of corroboration nothing much can be done

If he denies it, then yes, at the very least parcel force can probably confirm he was there at the time and place. That won’t corroborate his threats though – but you’d be amazed how many of these sort of cases cross the threshold because the driver doesn’t simply deny any knowledge and says something like “the skinny guy in Lycra had been tailgating me all the way down the hill, he’s lucky I didn’t stop quicker”.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Superficial – its seems to be very much a postcode lottery. Edinburgh will and do investigate and take action on these things

As others have said report to police as threatening behaviour and attempted assault with a vehicle.
    They may not persue it but that maybe enough for Parcel force to be taking it seriously – as others have said, you could be demanding action is taken.
    Driver has a grudge against cyclists so deserves the sack.

endomick

I wonder if anyone received a knackered parcel after the altercation, don’t delay in contacting the police, that would’ve been pretty serious damage if you didnt move, theres a lot of dashcams about, did anyone drive past during the initial incident or while you argued with the driver.
    Also he’s probably got a history of doing this by the sound of it.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Also don’t assume Parcelforce will be keen to retain the services of the driver. They might be grateful of more disciplinary ammunition.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

That chilli tech camera on another thread sounds pretty decent. I’m toying with getting 1 (or maybe 2) of those as I seem to be getting close passed more and more these days.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

That chilli tech camera on another thread

can haz link plz?

Not got mine yet.

New Bullet Action Camera

Premier Icon imnotverygood
    Subscriber

Barnton Ave?
    If so it is normally pretty busy with cyclists. Were there no other witnesses? You could stick up a note.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Parcelforce in Edinburgh?! You’re lucky he didn’t laser you!!!*

I came here to make that comment, but was 2 hours late 🙁

damascus

Stick the picture up on here abd also tweet the picture on their feeds, Nothing makes a business act quicker than bad publicity.

madeupname

Always worth reporting -I was run off the road by a white van last year, rang 999 to report and was eventually called to give a statement.
    I had no camera or proof, just my word.
    No injuries but it seems the car behind (that didn’t stop) must have phoned it in separately as there is a second witness and as the driver admitted he was driving but that we stopped and had a chat and I was aggressive (rather than he swerved at me twice, putting me off the road and carried on).
    Off to court for common assault charges against him soon (delayed by covid)….
    Now I run a Fly6.

Also I second the idea that he may have a load of complaints against him, and that if on a warning your feedback may ‘help’…

Premier Icon jamesoz
    Subscriber

If it makes the op feel better, I’ve had a parcel force van do similar, only I was in a small van and unable to dodge sideways like you did and they simply reversed full tilt into the van.

He had driven past the address for the parcel, not looked properly and reversed a fair distance flat out into the van.

Premier Icon ctk
    Subscriber

I’ve ordered 2 of the above cameras. One for me, one for my OH. So many ducking bell ends driving.

wbm1874

The photo of the van is here: Twitter link, not uploaded anywhere I can share an image, sorry. On Facebook too.

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

Itl have a tracker on the van and should show the erratic reversing.

I’d try and find the local transport managers details on linked in and mither the life out of him

A lot of parcelforce drivers are owner drivers and selfemployed in England so I would go to the police and send the pictures to parcelforce they can stop his contact straight away and will have one hell of a big van on is plate doing nothing.If I did that with a RM van I would be well in the Shite.This happened few years ago in Gloucestershire with a TNT 7.5 tonner lorry driver he cut up a cyclist big time who was one hell of a rugby player complained to TNT who had loads of complaints about this guy and sacked him.

Premier Icon martymac
    Subscriber

Yes, the company i work for (megabus/citylink) have got rid of guys in the past if they received a number of complaints, usually when the complaints had a similar theme ie: rough driving, rude driver etc.
    If they get enough complaints the driver will be removed from the network pdq.
    As above, social media can work well.

nofx

Get in touch with parcelforce. They’ll have a record of where & when ( roughly) their driver’s are. Also they often have CCTV fitted on the vans. + Go to the cops. This pillock should lose his licence.

Premier Icon singletrackmind
    Subscriber

Id be after a hand written apology from the driver
    ‘his manager has had word’ is meaningless , there is zero proof ‘his manager’ has grown a pair , logged off from candy crush saga and go out of his chair and spoken with the moron

wbm1874

I’ve reported the incident to the police, who seem very interested. Got another call with them later today, I’ll keep you posted. (Bike camera ordered, cheers for the tip above).

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

At the end of the day the potential offences are assault and attempted GBH, but your friend here may be a section 59 offence, which is much easier to apply. Normally it means two in a year and you get your car crushed; I’m not sure how it plays out for someone driving company vehicles*, but I’d guess it might result in them having their job crushed. So hopefully it would keep Matey in check; or if he’s had one previously then he might regret this incident a little more.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59/enacted

* edit: only just saw this 🙂

A lot of parcelforce drivers are owner drivers and selfemployed

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I’ve made a complaint to parcelforce via twitter, but just got a “his boss will have a chat with him”. That really doesn’t feel like enough: if I used my company’s assets as a weapon, or assaulted someone in company clothing, I’d lose my job.

I had a similar incident with a haulage driver (in company signed Artic) who had a go at mowing me down in Newbury one morning a few years ago. So I emailed the company detailing his conduct and pointed out that as much as anything it reflects on the company.
    But I also explicitly made the point that while expected the driver to receive a weak bollocking I knew the complaint wouldn’t go much further…

Cos it won’t, and that’s the thing, contact their employer and if there’s a pattern of complaints about a specific driver then they’ll maybe have grounds for a dismissal in future. But the Police will do very little without video evidence it seems. Being a prize bellend, using several tons company owned/labelled vehicle to intimidate and potentially injure strangers is still only seen as a minor infraction by half the population. we live in an ideal age to be an utter ****…

I would suggest you expend no more effort on it OP, the returns for what you put in now will be disproportionately meagre, and you will only end up more frustrated as a result.

Edit:

I’ve reported the incident to the police, who seem very interested.

I doubt they really are, you’re probably just being humoured. But if you can get the guy off the road do it… you’ve already exceeded the effort most people put in so well done.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.