Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 369 total)
  • Overzealous modding again.
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah well I’ve just been warned, no idea what for.

Mark

I’m going to respond to this thread but I’m not going to get into a debate. Technically this thread should be removed as it breaks the rules about discussion of moderation in open forum. Questions should normally be put directly to us via email.

The reason, I’ll clarify, is because no matter how justified or otherwise the moderation.. No matter how clear cut the reason… there will always be someone who disagrees and wants to debate and argue the decision. This just leads to moderators being dragged into debate and argument that serves no one other than the person who wants to argue. The moderators are all under strict instructions to not engage in open forum after moderation.

I can break that rule as I am one of those responsible for implementing that rule…

I take issue with the inconsistency/random argument.

In 90% of cases we respond to reported complaints from users of the forum. This is how the forum has to work as there are simply thousands of posts a day and it would take a huge team of moderators to approve and moderate each and every post. I’ve said this many many times before and I suspect I’ll be saying it again and again until I retire… just because it’s there on the forum does not mean we have approved it. If you find it offensive or that it should be moderated for whatever reason then report it to us so we can look at it.

Further more… individuals on this forum are NOT treated equally. If you frequently break the rules then you have used up your warnings. The thresholds then for action that will be taken against you are reduced. Previous warnings and action taken ie.. your record, WILL be taken into consideration and this will dictate if you are banned or just warned.

Fred has been moderated so often that we don’t bother warning him on the whole – he just gets banned. This has been explained to him many many times and yet he still doesn’t modify his behaviour. The fact that some of the time he’s ‘good’ does not mean that when he’s ‘bad’ he gets excused. The fact he’s ‘ a nice person in real life’ means nothing. This IS real life. What you say on a forum is read and taken on board as much as what you say to someone’s face. That is fundamental to the behaviour we expect of all posters. You may disagree with that… you are entitled to disagree.. but the basis of our forum is based on that simple and clear premise.

When you post on here you are not engaging in a private conversation. What you say is being broadcast to thousands by the very fact they are able to read it. The ‘if you don’t like what I say then don’t read it’ excuse does not apply. It’s already been read. No matter what you put in the title of a thread you are not excused from this. As much as you would moderate your own statements if you were stood on a stage in front of an audience you must do the same on our forum.

We do not care how you are allowed to behave on other forums. We do not care how moderators handle things on other forums. We moderate only one forum and this is how we do that.

You may debate issues as much as you want but if you start to insult in anyway the other person for their views then you run the risk (if we see it or it gets reported to us) of being moderated.

What you consider ‘fun’ is not welcome here IF it is at the expense of another.

In other words you must show respect for other users at all times, regardless of their pov. If we catch you doing otherwise you will be moderated.

These are the terms of use for this forum. These are the same terms we had 10 years ago.

Is it too much to ask to be nice to each other?

That’s rhetorical…

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – is not a wind up merchant or a troll, or a first class A-hole, he is someone, like myself, who doesnt change his opinion just because people say he should. That is precisely the problem that he has – people cant stand it when they cant bully someone into change.

The modding has been a joke for a long time on here. Some of the mods are excellent, but some are absolutely terrible.

As for the pub analogy, I have never said anything one here in any guise that I wouldnt say to anyone anywhere.

Jamie
    Free Member

No matter how clear cut the reason… there will always be someone who disagrees and wants to debate and argue the decision

No there isn’t.*

*Sorry.

DezB
    Free Member

he is someone, like myself, who doesnt change his opinion just because people say he should even when it’s wrong

F

molgrips
    Free Member

This IS real life

+1

No matter what you put in the title of a thread you are not excused from this.

Lol.. we should just put “Warning! Abuse content” at the beginning of every thread* 🙂

* this is just a bit of silliness, not being anti-mod or anything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Mark’s point re. modding arising from reports is a fair one.

Bt who reports stuff? u iz GAY!

Questions should normally be put directly to us via email.

Well, if you ever replied…

Jamie
    Free Member

Bt who reports stuff? u iz GAY!

Reported for homophobia.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I bet someone has…

bye everyone!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

DezB – I find that offensive and upsetting because nothing could be further from the truth. Enjoy your ban, or will it be a warning, or will they simply let it go…

Woody
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – is not a wind up merchant or a troll, or a first class A-hole, he is someone, like myself, who doesnt change his opinion just because people say he should. That is precisely the problem that he has – people cant stand it when they cant bully someone into change.

Doesn’t that work both ways SBZ?

Why can’t you change your opinion in light of new or additional information, or even looking at it from a different perspective? Putting forward a different viewpoint does not in itself constitute bullying.

Holding a belief is one thing but a refusal to entertain another is very narrow minded.

clubber
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – is not a wind up merchant or a troll

Of course he is and he’s admitted as much several times and a few times said that he’s trying to be less so. He loves an argument/discussion and while he may not specifically change an opinion, if he doesn’t particularly have an opinion on something he’ll definitely take the opposing view to start a discussion/argument.

That’s what IMO is destructive to the forum, not the holding of an opinion which you discuss/debate/etc. Deliberately and consistently trying to get a rise out of people is not a positive thing be it online, in a pub, wherever.

wwaswas

I don’t think anyones saying you even have to change your opinion.

Just stop posting it on here when it becomes clear it’s pointless?

aracer
    Free Member

DezB – I find that offensive and upsetting because nothing could be further from the truth. Enjoy your ban, or will it be a warning, or will they simply let it go…

Is that a threat, or have you already reported the post? Either way 😯 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t think he was being serious.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

The point I was making is that people have been banned for less….

RustySpanner

Deleted. No point, won’t make any one change.

Woody
    Free Member

The point I was making is that people have been banned for less….

From Mark^^

Further more… individuals on this forum are NOT treated equally. If you frequently break the rules then you have used up your warnings. The thresholds then for action that will be taken against you are reduced. Previous warnings and action taken ie.. your record, WILL be taken into consideration and this will dictate if you are banned or just warned.

<goes to wipe shit off nose so I can go for a ride as I’m NOT at work> 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

**opens door, looks round, sighs, and leaves quietly**

uplink
    Free Member

The inconsistency of a lot of things in life [even internet forum moderating] is what makes life fun a lot of the time.

Besides getting banned/suspended from somewhere like here is hardly going to affect you in any discernible way

vive la différence

Where would we be if we tried to make everything conform and be consistent eh? – that’s right, Germany

druidh
    Free Member

I think Mark is wise to let this one roll. These threads are great for releasing a wee bit of tension (until the next time).

binners

I wouldn’t want to be a moderator. I’d imagine its like refereeing a premiership football match. You’d be lucky to get away without attracting the vitriol of at least 50% of the people present.

There are certain Paul Scholes characters making thigh high challenges. Then you’ve got the Fergies demanding 6 minutes of extra time. Hey ho

Dobbo

he is someone, like myself, who doesnt change his opinion just because people say he should.

Who TF ever changes their mind because someone says so?

As for big hitters, lol, anyone who thinks of themselves like that is so up their own arse.

I don’t post on here much because I’m lucky enough to be busy doing other things, I pop on here now and then, when ever I do there is always so crap like this going on. Someone banned, someone moaning about the ban and others saying good riddance to bad shit….repeat to fade. The bellend always is back on in a matter of days anyway.

I don’t know why people get so up tight about things that happen on here, I like to have a bit of a tussle from time to time if the days a bit boring and I want a bit of an argument, but that’s all it is a timewaster.

DezB
    Free Member

I find that offensive and upsetting because nothing could be further from the truth

How silly. How could you not pick up on the point that an opinion cannot be wrong?
    I was more referring to Elfin anyway, cos I like getting emails from him after I’ve abused him.
    Wouldn’t give a flying monkey fudge if I was banned so click the report post button!

clubber
    Free Member

Who TF ever changes their mind because someone says so?

Reasonable, well balanced people if that someone has made a reasonable argument for it that changes your perception.

Dobbo

Reasonable, well balanced people if that someone has made a reasonable argument for it that changes your perception.

That’s because they were wrong, not because someone says “you must agree with me”.

si-wilson
    Free Member

si – could you not have a ‘professional’ login for work stuff and an ‘unprofessional’ one for insults?

Could do, but i would prob forget which one is logged on 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As for big hitters, lol, anyone who thinks of themselves like that is so up their own arse.

I see this phrase a bit. I think its aimed at me sometimes. I know exactly who I am on this form. a prolific poster of strong opinions. No more, no less. Some will listen to me, some will discount anything I say ‘cos its me. some might think my opinions valuable in some areas. I do not consider myself a big hitter in anyway.

I expect to me taken exactly as seriously as I deserve and am under no illusions as to how that varies. I certainly do not consider my loud shouty verbose voice to have any more value that (for example) the cosidered druidh – rather the opposite I guess.

Dobbo

I see this phrase a bit. I think its aimed at me sometimes.

Your either paranoid or one of a group, I don’t think it was aimed at an individual was it? I took the phrase from somewhere back there <-, you need to ask the generator of the comment if it was specific to you.

I try to take comments by users on the context they are written and try not to let “previous” cloud what they say, hard to do sometimes. I’ve even agreed with you not that far back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

dobbo – aimed at me as one of a group

mcboo
    Free Member

Can we close this up now

maxray
    Free Member

It’s always the same people getting banned by and large, those same people that generally use alter ego logins and those same people that argue that its so unjust once one of the other “big hitters” has been banned.

If it was a pub those big hitters would be the ones that sit at the bar thinking they own it 🙄

uplink
    Free Member

Can we close this up now

just stop reading it if you want

Or do you have some desire to control what other read and post?

flange
    Free Member

There are some folks on here that really REALLY need to get a life. You’re arguing about some idiot that got banned for being an idiot. Its an internerd forum, does it really matter?

mefty
    Free Member

tj – your posting is frequent rather than prolific

billysugger
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy

Woody
    Free Member

tj – your posting is frequent rather than prolific

but also frequently prolific………….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thanks to Mark for letting this run.

I understand that some poster will be treated differently because of their past. I personally disagree with that as a way of doing things and I think it devalues a forum but thats the mods choice.

What I find much harder to accept is the double standards in those with no history.

RealMan
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences.

But clearly TJ reported elfin and gw and got them banned, then started this thread to exonerate him of all guilt. Or just to troll. Or both.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“big hitter” aka “EPIC FORUM BATTLE LEGEND” is used mostly by me I think, if anyone thinks I am begin serious when I come up with this **** they really need their irony detector serviced.

TandemJeremy – Member
    I expect to me (sic) taken exactly as seriously as I deserve

Some would argue that you do 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 369 total)

The topic ‘Overzealous modding again.’ is closed to new replies.