Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 369 total)
  • Overzealous modding again.
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

if someone is banned then i think that should be a ban for life, users should not be able to come back under a new username…. it wont stop people doing it but IP addresses and people would give themselves away eventually.

current ‘bans’ for certain amounts of time should be renamed ‘suspensions’ if they’re for a period less than life-time.

just a thought.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As for you yossarian, your blatant anti-Irish racism the other day…honestly, you’re lucky the pc brigade was busy elsewhere… 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh Darcy… your wit is flecked with sarcasm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I quite like Fred, he’s a tough nut to wind up, and seems to have given up most of his hypocrisey after I exposed it. I imagine we’d get on well in real life, I might see if he’s up for a coffee when I am next in London.

I love his mockney, it used to wind me up, I think the lesson many of us want to teach is that it’s up to YOU whether you get wound up or not – don’t blame it on someone posting online.

Even worse is those who get offended about stuff then go around trying to wind folk up.

yossarian
    Free Member

i offered to repaint your caravan, what more could i do? 🙂

RustySpanner

Yossarian, by nastiness I meant some of the bullying, the attitudes displayed toward women, the cowardly use of multiple user names and the pointless trolling.

LHS
    Free Member

Yossarian, by nastiness I meant some of the bullying, the attitudes displayed toward women, the cowardly use of multiple user names and the pointless trolling

Not to mention the homophobia.

julianwilson
    Free Member

it wont stop people doing it but IP addresses and people would give themselves away eventually.

Phil, ‘spot Fred’s new login’ has become a seasonal sport for some on here in recent years. Also applies to the lesser spotted Glupton, but typically Fred/elfinsafety gets banned and Glupton/SBZ just changes his login because he gets fed up with the forum for a bit or for trolltastic giggles.

yossarian
    Free Member

oh ok, see what you mean. Decent modding would weed that out whilst allowing a certain degree of bawdiness and ireverance no?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh Darcy… your wit is flecked with sarcasm.

😕

mcboo
    Free Member

Are you the last person on the forum to know this?

Appears so…..case closed, banged to rights am afraid. He was an aggressive little knob back then, penny dropped for me last week when he had a proper pop at me for no reason I could see. We’re all having a chit-chat about the Tour then wallop in the back of the head.

You guys have an admirable ethos of live and live and thats great but if we dont have the Mods things will get far too heated and folk will end up threatening each other. I was pretty knarked off with it to be honest.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I mean nothing by it Darcy… just testing out the f & eck hypothesis.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah right. Well you can deck off then 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Ultimately, its all Jamie’s fault. Him and his bloomin’ eggs

Why do people keep associating me with eggs?

RustySpanner

I think the site owners have repeated the pub analogy a good few times.
    It seems quite apt.

It’s a public forum and posters are judged by their comments.
    The ‘It’s only the internet’ defence is a bit pathetic.

footflaps

As a long time observer and occasional poster, I think the chat forum is like a rather rough pub at times – yes they’re arguing whilst drunk, but you’re not quite sure if it will end in a fight and you’d rather not join in for fear of getting thumped…

It seems to have got a lot rougher in the last year or so…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rusty, did you just knock my **** pint over while checking out my missus’ arse? Eh? DID YOU?

binners

did you call my pint a puff?

Jamie
    Free Member

Rusty, did you just knock my **** pint over while checking out my missus’ arse? Eh? DID YOU?

Other way round.

trailmonkey

how long’s he on the naughty step for ?

place is always better with him here.

Jamie
    Free Member

For as long as it takes him to think up a new username.

yossarian
    Free Member

yes they’re arguing whilst drunk, but you’re not quite sure if it will end in a fight and you’d rather not join in for fear of getting thumped…

isn’t this where the pub analogy falls flat on its face? No one is going to get punched, its words on a screen.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

at least it’s not BikeRadar

Harry_the_Spider

Has The Elf been sent off or is he just in the sin bin?

cynic-al
    Free Member

“pub analogy” – utopia

“it’s only the internet” – fact, and how it will always be treated by some.

binners

Freds on the naughty step for 3 days

He’s been a very very naughty boy

RustySpanner

People can still be hurt by words.

Harry_the_Spider

3 days? Meh. What did he do, wee in the shower?

DS got a 5 stretch for asking what people thought about that woman who looks a bit like a cat.

trailmonkey

its words on a screen.

if it were only ever just that, then you wouldn’t have a 3 day, 1000+ post on the significance of branding going on. no one could simultaneously be that commited and claim detachment at the same time.

nearly everyone claims that it’s’only the internet’ then gets very obviously wound up proving that it’s actually more than that.

Jamie
    Free Member

DS got a 5 stretch for asking what people thought about that woman who looks a bit like a cat.

It’s like the American TV. You can have swearing and violence, but heaven help you if you show a nipple at half time.

yossarian
    Free Member

People can still be hurt by words

true, but they aren’t going to sustain life threatening injuries like they would from having a beer glass smashed in their face are they?

the pub analogy is utopian, as cynic-al says. The reality is that forums are not face to face, people can call themselves whatever they like and pretend to be whatever they like. Its futile to try and apply real world constraints to something that is inherently false.

f it were only ever just that, then you wouldn’t have a 3 day, 1000+ post on the significance of branding going on. no one could simultaneously be that commited and claim detachment at the same time.

no and you are right, the point is though surely that thread would not have continued that long in a ‘real life’ situation. The medium sustained it and prolonged it. Again, how can you attempt a real world rationalisation of people’s behaviour in a situation that is ‘unreal’ 🙂 ?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DS – thats another case in point. Now he has previous and I personally believe that type of post has no place on the forum but he IIRC got no warning and a 5 day ban is well OTT. All it needed was warning and a thread lock. If he repeated it then a bn might have been appropriate.

againote folk have got away with far worse without a banning.

binners

whippersnapper
    Free Member

^

followed by the Edinburgh Defense

cynic-al
    Free Member

Judicial review TJ?

Or perhaps you could head an impartial committee dtermining bannings etc? You’d need to stop posting though.

Seriously, it’s their playpen/living, not TJ’s, not ours, end-of.

scaredypants

schrickvr6 – Member
    (pic)
    Ooops wrong thread

I thought that was an excellent illustration of the term “big hitter” 😆

binners

I’d presumed “big hitter” was mis-typed, omitting a very important ‘s’

TeddyBare
    Free Member

There’s more than one?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I have no idea how STW is moderated but on most forums mods are there on a voluntary basis doing their best to keep the forum somewhere near acceptable for the owners.

If you want consistency, fairness, rules, hearings, appeals… you’ll need a team of paid full time mods.

As people don’t want to pay for forums this isn’t going to happen and if anyone doesn’t like it other forums are available. It’s not like you’re paying for it…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Binners et al you may laugh but some folk have nothing more in their lives than their internet reputation.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 369 total)

The topic ‘Overzealous modding again.’ is closed to new replies.