Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • True width of Conti's ?
  • stevemcg
    Free Member

As I’ve read that 26 x 2″ Continental Race Kings realistically measure 1.8″, could owners of 2.2″ X King & Race Kings (on 20mm XC rims:) possibly tell me what the realistic width is ? (X Kings mainly but)

neninja
    Free Member

My 2.2 Rubber Queens measure in at exactly 2.2 inches (well 2.18 on my calliper) on a Stans Arch (external width 24.4mm int. 19mm rim)

Not the same tyre but perhaps indicative of conti measure measurements.

Kahurangi

Measured (lordy, I’m turning in to a saddo) with some digital calipers

Rubber Queen 2.4 = 2.39″
    Rubber Queen 2.2 = 2.22″

Race King 2.2 = 2.2″
    Mountain King 2.4 = 2.40″

They were measured to the widest part of the tyre. On the MK this is the shoulder knob. On the RQ and RK this is the tyre carcass.

FYI the carcass on the MK 2.4″ is approx 2.2″. i.e. the RK 2.2″ is the same volume as the 2.2″ RQ and 2.4″ MK, though all stated sizes were accurate.

HTH

/edit

the rims they were installed on (either Stans 355 or Bonty Rhythm Pro) made naff all difference to the actual widest point, though they did change the shape of the profile.

stevemcg
    Free Member

Blimey, thanks for all the effort guys, near enough on the button then in all examples.

FYI the carcass on the MK 2.4″ is approx 2.2″. i.e. the RK 2.2″ is the same volume as the 2.2″ RQ and 2.4″ MK, though all stated sizes were accurate.

Wasn’t quite sure what you were telling me here though Jon, could you clarify for me please?

Still, in that case can anyone verify the real widths of the 2″ Conti’s, & are they typically large volume? (again I’m primarily interested in the X Kings but any Conti info welcome)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I can verify this much….

Rubber Queen 2.4″ tyres are mahooooooooooosive and brilliant.

29×2.2 Race King appears to be spot on using a tape measure.

Kahurangi

steve- I mean that if you were to ignore the knobbles sticking out the side, you have the width of the carcass. The volume of the central tube of air.

If I’m not clear I’ll draw a diagram when I get home tonight!

stevemcg
    Free Member

Ahh – Now I see Jon, no that’s clear enough cheers, no need for diagrams.

Thanks also to M’T’Graham

Anyone got owt on 2″ Conti’s ?, Have read a couple of reviews that this size comes up slightly smaller in width (1.8″ ish).
    Can anyone with either 2″ X King or Race king confirm or disprove this for me, & also comment on overall volume, are they tall off the rim ?

chiefgrooveguru

The Race King used to size up accurately whilst the old Speed King came up 0.2″ small and the carcass narrower still.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘True width of Conti's ?’ is closed to new replies.