Home Forums Bike Forum Osprey Raptor 14 – any good for all day?

• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by wl.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Osprey Raptor 14 – any good for all day?
  • wl
    Free Member

Seems possibly a bit small for all day rides, especially in winter. Anyone say otherwise, from experience? And is it nice and stable loaded up to the gills? Ta for any tips.

ads678

Seems possibly a bit small for all day rides

Spose that depends on what you normally carry, and what you deem an all day ride to be. Personally I wouldn’t want anything much bigger. As long as I can fit my jacket in along with basic tools, spare tube, water and snacks i’m happy.

Mine seems pretty stable and has loads of pockets so can ram all sorts in there.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’ve done a 9.30 to 5.30 ride in the Lakes with the 10 litre version. Perfectly adequate for water, lunch and jelly babies, tools and a coat.
    Winter in the mountains where you might be wanting a shelter/bag thing, and first aid kit and so on, I can imagine even the 14 not being adequate.

wl
    Free Member

ads – all day I’m thing 5-8 hours. I don’t pack the kitchen sink but I need a jacket, grub, inner tube, 2 litres of water, multi tool and pump, and a spare layer and survival bag if it’s winter.

ayjay – that’s what I’m thinking, though I’m also now thinking that I could possibly just clip a small dry bag on the outside for those winter mountain forays.

chevychase

Mine’s great for all day rides IMO. Carry warm top, waterproof, tools, spares, 3 litres of water, food for a full day no problem.

Quality is great. Will buy again if it ever wears out.

kcal

I tend to err on side of packing decent jacket, tube, pump, decent toolset, food. I reckon once you add in extra stuff like first aid kit, shelter, it all gets a bit stretched — for me I’d tend to cart something a bit bigger for all day winter ish rides. Lucky in that have a Raptor 14 and Explorer 25. Depends how much you feel you ‘need’ and how much you feel comfortable with obviously.

colourofsound
    Free Member

I’ve done an all day with mine – it was the Hamsterley Beast event.

Totally unrelated – its now for sale in Classifieds as I fancy an Evoc with a back protector…

codybrennan
    Free Member

Yeah, I have one right here and thats exactly what it gets used for. Perfect. Its a great pack.

Neb

I find mine a little small for big mountain days (lakes or Alps) where I need loads of food and wet weather gear. It’s been ok, just, for the past few years but I’ll be looking to replace it with a slightly bigger pack when it wears out.

It also sits a bit low for hike a bikes compared to others, the bike frame sits directly on shoulders rather than a bit of it on the top of the pack. Again it’s ok, but I’d be looking for a slightly taller pack.

It’s well built, dead comfortable and light. Also the waist pockets and helmet clip are brilliant. So I’ll probably replace it with another osprey when the time comes.

rossburton
    Free Member

Another Osprey lover here, I own a Raptor 10 and recently bought a Raptor 14 when I started needing to carry extra layers for the kids. For a proper all day with spares ride the 14 might be a little small, I’d recommend having a feel of both the 14 and the size up, be that in a store or order both online and return one.

wl
    Free Member

Useful info here, folk, so thanks v much.
    Neb – excellent point as I like a good hike-a-bike. Something to consider.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Osprey Raptor 14 – any good for all day?’ is closed to new replies.