Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • piemonster

It was pleasant to see on the STV news the other night a bloke from the Scottish film industry ranting and raving about how disgusting it was that Pinewood is opening a new studio in Wales and not Scotland. Jesus get over yourself Scotland doesn’t have divine right to companies just because it’s Scotland.

I’d always wondered who it was that watches STV

piemonster

Just for a couple of pages shall we say if we are to eligible and what that vote will be.

Uh oh

grum
    Free Member

That’s why I put in my caveat at the end. Small countries are generally simpler in terms of bureaucracy, there are fewer layers of government needed. That, I think, is a good thing.

Hasn’t devolution in Scotland meant more layers of bureaucracy, not less?

konabunny
    Free Member

Just for a couple of pages shall we say if we are to eligible and what that vote will be.

Left years ago, not eligible in the slightest to vote, no present intention to return, not sure what I’d vote: the UK is a train crash but otoh building a bloody tram line was hard enough, let alone a whole new country.

Does that help? 😀

bencooper
    Free Member

I keep getting this advert over there –>

😀

(eligible to vote, most likely voting yes)

dragon
    Free Member

Fair point 😉 I never have before I was doing work on the laptop and it came on after the football and news. Yes I know I’ve let myself down 😉

piemonster

eligible to vote, most likely voting yes

Ditto

piemonster

Yes I know I’ve let myself down

😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Speaking of Elephants THM, you seem strangely slow to wax lyrical on about….

Keep up, that was yesterday’s news and I dealt with it then. Pensions is the next in a long line of issues that are not properly dealt with. No change there.

teamhurtmore – Member
    New joke for the early evening crew in this thread:

Have we done pensions yet?

No, neither has Alex Salmond…

IGMC, have a good evening!

POSTED 17 HOURS AGO #

aracer
    Free Member

You’re not quite sure? 😯

dragon
    Free Member

Eligible to vote. No.

duckman

Yes for my vote.
    (AND)

Pensions is the next in a long line of issues that are not properly dealt with the SNP can only go so far in answering the questions asked of it by the Scottish Inst of Chartered Accountants(they dealt with the first set) as Westminster has not stated it will honour the NI payments already paid. No change there.

The flip side to your (as ever) one eyed post. I thought you told us that the no campaign had stopped scaremongering?
    As you quite correctly say; Scotland deserves better.

I will do THM’s voting status for him…No,but fancies retiring here so wants to ensure that Scotland is still part of the UK.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THM He asked you to comment on Browns speech – I am not seeing how that is a comment and it seems to be just one of your usual digs at AS.

ust for a couple of pages shall we say if we are to eligible and what that vote will be.

TBH I like the union [ all of them not just this one] but I hate tories and its a good way of getting free from that shower.
    Undecided

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Why bother? You won’t read my comments properly. Far better to point you towards bodies that you might be prepared to read such as ICAS* and in particular Rachel Holmes** – she and the body are still waiting for the Scottish Government to respond correctly to genuine concerns about the future of the country’s pensions. You might believe her. She’s been waiting for over a year. Still details are not yS big points are they? Bluff and bluster is much better.

*Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland – a body that tends to like detail!!
    ** seems pro “yes” but irritated by lack of detailed response from Scottish government to date and after a year of waiting.

I don’t fully understand GBs comments anyway. He seems to be implying that there is an identifiable pension pot for most state pensions. How quant an idea that is…….complete bllx though. He needs to google “Ponzi scheme” perhaps?

vintagewino
    Free Member

eligible to vote. Not Scottish. Voting no.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Obvious from prior posts not elligable and in favour of Scotland remaining within the Union, however that’s based upon them being a willing and constructive partner. If a no vote leads to continual SNP nonesense then I’d rather see Scotland independent. Against devo-max.

As for smaller counties being more efficient with less government I don’t think that’s true at, Scotland is complaining it doesn’t have enough MEPs for example – its arguing for more politians. It’s clear in today’s world the larger counties are pulling away, US, China, India, Russia, relative sleeping giants like Brazil and Indonesia will only strengthen over time.

rene59
    Free Member

Will be voting yes. Post independence we can build new unions.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gordon Brown has warned his fellow Scots that a vote for independence would mean them losing their British state pension.

Versus the Scottish governments paper that states

For those people living in Scotland in receipt of the UK State Pension at the time of independence, the responsibility for the payment of that pension will transfer to the Scottish Government.

And the predictable manner of response from the SNP – a la Guardian analysis

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2014/feb/browns-pension-scares-lack-all-credibility

seosamh77
    Free Member

Reading this thread is quite amusing, you could be forgiven for being slightly suspicious that the English contingent is more than a little worried about loosing it’s status as a superpowers lapdog.

News for you, the break up of the colonial entity that is The UK of GB and NI, is quite appealing! 😀

duckman

Apologies THM, I came on too strong above.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

It was pleasant to see on the STV news the other night a bloke from the Scottish film industry ranting and raving about how disgusting it was that Pinewood is opening a new studio in Wales and not Scotland. Jesus get over yourself Scotland doesn’t have divine right to companies just because it’s Scotland.

I heard about, With all this talk about NI and Game of Thrones I think a lot of homegrown filming will start heading over there.

ust for a couple of pages shall we say if we are to eligible and what that vote will be.

Not eligible, Not voting. 🙁

but I hate tories and its a good way of getting free from that shower.

I think its a shame none of the main political parties have a decent leader anyone can believe in. Not really a fan of AS but he does seem to be doing a better job at fighting his corner and doing a better job than Dave/Nick or the Millibrand ever could.

my 2p

I personally think a something like a Crown Dependance would be in the best interests of all. Scotland separates from Westminster but still has its ties/current trade links to the UK.

bencooper
    Free Member

You’re not quite sure?

I’ve never been absolutely certain about anything in my life, and I don’t plan to start now 😉

gordimhor

Eligible to vote and will vote yes

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

duckman – Member
    Apologies THM, I came on too strong above.

Nae probs pal – it’s generally fun!!!

Not retiring, I am not that old, but working and educating second son!

bencooper
    Free Member

What went wrong with the first son? 8)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He will have graduated already. But thanks for the concern 😉

feenster
    Free Member

I’ll tell you, honestly, I will love it if we vote yes. Love it.

zippykona

Has anyone mentioned David Bowie yet?

piemonster

Or Billy

bencooper
    Free Member

I heard he said “Scotland, please stay with us”

I wonder if his flat in New York has enough space for 5 million Scots to bunk up?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes my thoughts exactly …doubt it will stop Mr Connery from preaching though from Spain???? not sure where these days

bencooper
    Free Member

David Bowie has now issued an urgent press release:

footflaps

Reading this thread is quite amusing, you could be forgiven for being slightly suspicious that the English contingent is more than a little worried about loosing it’s status as a superpowers lapdog.

You really think it will make any difference at all?

seosamh77
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

yip, I reckon it will. Least that’ll happen is I’ll be able to look on from the sidelines tutting away! 😆

retro83
    Free Member

zippykona – Member

Sounds like a few people have on social media, according to the torygraph 😆

Edit: Just had a look and Andrew Neil taking a fair amount of stick on twitter over it as well. Social media is great for exposing obnoxious morons. 😆

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well if the local golf resort does declare independence, it could be harder to attract the upper echelons to London.

piemonster

Social media is great for exposing obnoxious morons

My absence from Twotter is justified

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Someone on twitter made the claim that Scotland was both bigger & richer than the UK, but would not offer evidence when asked.
    So I’ll throw it out here, is that claim correct?
    I admit I’m sceptical, Scotland’s population is 8.6% of the UK’s, ive read on a BBC report that Scotland’s economy is approx 1/10th of the UK’s economy & Scotland is actually smaller than England in acreage according to another been article.

So does that claim stand up?

piemonster

I’ve seen a comparison doing the rounds comparing Scotland’s economic area with Germany’s. Conveniently not accounting for land productivity.

I’d guess by bigger, they’d be including sea?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I don’t know, it is quite a claim so thought I’d ask the hive mind!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.