Viewing 40 posts - 12,281 through 12,320 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • piemonster

YouGov #IndyRef prediction: YES 46%, NO 54% – y-g.co/1mjwlQz

Junkyard
    Free Member

says 54 – 46 with a 99 % chance of no.

What I predicted as well FWIW – not the 99% confidence bit mind.

epicyclo

63.217%

🙂

rene59
    Free Member

YouGov survey of voters previously polled shows support for No at 54%. Yes at 46%

So they only asked people that they already previously asked?

chambord
    Free Member

So they only asked people that they already previously asked?

From the Guardian:

Apparently it’s a poll of people in Scotland who have voted. It’s not what you would call a conventional exit poll, because YouGov did not poll people in person outside polling stations. Instead, it seems they questioned members of their internet panel who said they had cast a vote.

seosamh77
    Free Member

listening to kellner speaking about that poll just now, ignore, it’s irrelevant.

Junkyard
    Free Member

its our last chance to criticise a poll so get in 😛

chambord
    Free Member

A poll taken by YouGov after people voted in the Scottish referendum predicts a victory for No by 54% to 46% for Yes. The survey involved 1,828 people after they voted today, together with the postal votes of 800 people, and was not a traditional exit poll.

Yeah basically it doesn’t mean a lot

rene59
    Free Member

Phew, I nearly went to bed there! Another beer opened instead 😀

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Saw Yes campaigners to day but no No ones, so I guess the answer is yes for yes, but no for No

Saw lots of No people out campaigning today.

fasthaggis

My night is spoiled already,Jellybaby frickin Vine. 👿 shite.
    As important as tonight is,I would rather stab myself in the eyes than watch that ****.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

In Edinburgh today there were loads of Catalan people milling around parliament square. No campaigners on GV bridge and yes on S Clerk st.

wilburt
    Free Member

FFS its a No because drawing imaginary lines on a little Island is about as sensible as believing in fairies in the sky who write books.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

It might have been about the campaigns. Yes was about passion and a belief that things can be better. No was about focus groups, meetings and inclusiveness, so by the time a decision’s been made, the marketing people briefed and … oh is that it all over already?

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

FFS its a No because drawing imaginary lines on a little Island is about as sensible as believing in fairies in the sky who write books.

..because there’s no such thing as internatational borders anywhere else in the world, right?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Never understood why he uses Vine on the BBC / R2 and Kyle on ITV.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Ok off to bed, alarm set for 4.30,I voted yes, wonder if I’ll get my “new” country. Wonder if I’ll get any sleep.
    Big hug to everyone x

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, all the best to everyone on here, even the xenophobes. Whatever the result, take care folks. I’m off to the lakes for a cross border raid weekend, I shall pillage your trails, and swallow your ales…. 😀

konabunny
    Free Member

had a funny realization just now that the result I wanted was Yes, but for me to have been reluctantly taken along with it. however, as it’s not me that would pay the price of the decision, I’m not so bothered.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Reading the BBC coverage it seems the Labour No’s are quietly/nervously confident which is interesting. SNP talking about

In terms of what that means, politics has changed as a result of the referendum.

To me it means the numbers are sliding more to a no but anything could happen.
    One aside

Conservative MP John Redwood tells the BBC’s Andrew Neil at Westminster that, if there is a “No” victory, “every power that goes to Scotland must be matched by the same power coming to England”.

Welcome to the United States of Great Britain 🙁

brooess
    Free Member

If YouGov is right and it’s a clear no then it’ll be interesting to look at the age breakdown.
    If yes was mainly younger voters and no was mainly older voters then all the Yes camp have to do is hold another referendum in 10 years time and there’ll be a yes.
    Although I still think it would be a good idea to actually agree with Westminster what’s on offer before asking the people to make such a massive decision…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Reading the BBC coverage

Your first mistake. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just got in from a wee trip overseas to see the dreadful result – what were the R&A thinking?

Hopefully, the less important one has a better (together) result. Enjoy your hangovers everyone. Good night!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“every power that goes to Scotland must be matched by the same power coming to England”.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Although if 5 million Scots are entitled their own parliament then the English regions, representing a total of 50 million people, are entitled to theirs too – not just one English parliament in London.

Unfortunately the Tories won’t like that idea and Labour have always been pisspoor on the need for an English parliament never mind English regional parliaments.

Edit : TBF Labour did give the North East the opportunity to move in that direction, so I’ll correct myself on that last point.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

what were the R&A thinking?

that it’s the 21st century and it’s time they woke up to that?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Reading the BBC coverage
    Your first mistake.

Of course, which Yes! biased site should I be using 🙂

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

“every power that goes to Scotland must be matched by the same power coming to England”.

All for that, but I can’t see an independant England working out

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Welcome to the United States of Great Britain

The American system is actually great. It’s just the voters are a bunch of tools.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Accident on the Berridale Braes will delay arrival of Caithness votes by 1.5 – 2 hrs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really, multiple states all with the ability to set their own laws at times in conflict with a central government, different tax systems competing against each other? Living in a federal system here in Oz I see the disadvantages all the time, more duplication, more waste & less direction. If you give each region autonomy you need to give it enough powers to not just be a pointless set of elected officials with the power to do nothing – a glorified parish council. If you give them all the powers then it can all get messy as Yorkshire cuts 0.5% off corp tax but increases VAT by 1% whereas Lancs does the opposite and the speed limit changes between England & Wales along with a few other things that seem popular locally.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Really, multiple states all with the ability to set their own laws at times in conflict with a central government, different tax systems competing against each other? Living in a federal system here in Oz I see the disadvantages all the time, more duplication, more waste & less direction. If you give each region autonomy you need to give it enough powers to not just be a pointless set of elected officials with the power to do nothing – a glorified parish council. If you give them all the powers then it can all get messy as Yorkshire cuts 0.5% off corp tax but increases VAT by 1% whereas Lancs does the opposite and the speed limit changes between England & Wales along with a few other things that seem popular locally.

The counter argument to that is that central government doesn’t always know what’s best for territory on the periphery of it’s locus of control.

Separation of powers also makes it harder for bad laws to be passed and for one man to take us all to war.

It’s about time legislation was harder to pass, so we get some legislative and policy stability for once. Elected Lords with more powers and an English Parliament please. With a smaller Westminster dealing with national policy only.

fasthaggis

Accident on the Berridale Braes will delay arrival of Caithness votes by 1.5 – 2 hrs.

Tsk,bloody sheep on the road again 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Most advanced democracies now have regional assemblies. Even France which once epitomised napoleonic centralised bureaucracy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In some cases that is right Tom, but the UK population is give or take the same as California & Texas added together, geographically everything is actually next door to each other and there is already a huge amount of regional government.

The UK barely covers the slightly populated bit of Western Australia.

fasthaggis

You can’t really compare Europe to the outback though can you Mike? 🙂

Size isn’t everything,it’s all about content 😉

aracer
    Free Member

he speed limit changes between England & Wales along with a few other things that seem popular locally.

I understand Wales are considering a law that you have to wait your turn in the queue when overtaking

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Signed up to Twitter tonight to follow this and found this on the Sky News feed. Guess we can tell which way it’s going to go

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Absolutely, there are huge regional differences across places like the US and Australia, in reality there are not that many across the UK (I’ve lived in a fair few parts of it) I’m all for getting the right things done for the right areas, but adding another level of politics and electioneering to the mix doesn’t make sense to me. For all the we can vote for who we want stuff the same tricks will be pulled, the same broken promises and unfunded ideas run out to get elected. Yes you can feel happy knowing you are being screwed over by one of your own but then separate regions all pulling against each other commissioning the same stuff differently, not joining up or playing ball on serious things like roads & rail and putting being reelected locally ahead of what is right for the nation as a whole.

Viewing 40 posts - 12,281 through 12,320 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.