Viewing 40 posts - 7,241 through 7,280 (of 12,715 total)
  • Osbourne says no to currency union.
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The “I told you so” thread regarding the referendum result is going to be insufferable.

At the start of this thread I felt that the yes vote would probably win, just. It’s now looking fairly likely that they won’t, I feel a little embarrassed that I appeared to have underestimated the wisdom of Scots. Which bearing in mind Scotland’s previous voting behaviour should have been a bit more obvious.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Always gone for the v close vote. In fact, despite everything I still think it will be close with the DO pulling one last stunt. Surely he can’t really be going down with such a whimper…..

Still incredible that so many are actually going to vote yes. Amazing what politicians can pull off with fairy tales and deceit. Fortunately you can only fool some of the people some of the time.

bencooper
    Free Member

How does Scotland propose to plug the deficit between its oil share+tax income-welfare/social costs?

Exactly the same way the UK does at the moment – borrowing. No big deal, an independent Scotland will have a good credit rating.

Glasgow is now 58% Yes once you strip out the undecideds, according to the latest Survation poll. Which doesn’t surprise me going by the conversations I have.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Still incredible that so many are actually going to vote yes.

Not really when you consider how many people are prepared to vote Tory. Some people just don’t bother to stop and think.

bencooper
    Free Member

Some people just don’t bother to stop and think.

Yes, you’re absolutely right, people voting Yes are just doing it in a whim and haven’t really thought about it.

🙄

epicyclo

fasternotfatter – Member
    The polls are against you gordi accept it that independence is over.

Strangely the polls have been against the SNP every election I have voted in since returning to this country, and even stranger, they keep increasing their lead despite the dedication of deceased Labour voters postal votes.

Fortunately polls are not real votes.

Independence will never be over.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

bencooper – Member

“Some people just don’t bother to stop and think.”

Yes, you’re absolutely right, people voting Yes are just doing it in a whim and haven’t really thought about it.

If there is one thing above all else that has become apparent during this campaign it is that the separatists haven’t thought anything through.

In fact it’s staggering just how much has been left to faith, hope, and bucket loads of wishful thinking.

bencooper
    Free Member

Independence will never be over.

Indeed – what do Better Together think will happen if there’s a No vote? Nearly half the population is just going to say “oh well” and forget about the idea?

The Tories in Scotland are dead. Lib Dems are almost as dead because of their links to the Tories. Labour is losing people in droves because they made a political decision to get in bed with the Tories on independence, and Ed’s latest intervention isn’t going to help with that.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Indeed – what do Better Together think will happen if there’s a No vote? Nearly half the population is just going to say “oh well” and forget about the idea?

Please, please, please vote Yes!

I cannot face the whining coming from the Scots about hard done by they are anymore! To think that they get the referendum and then will not accept the result if it goes against them just sums them up. Behaving like a bunch of petulant teenagers.

konabunny
    Free Member

Glasgow is now 58% Yes once you strip out the undecideds

lol

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Assume that people will accept a democratically delivered result with some grace and be thankful that they remain in one of the most successful unions in history. – that would be a start.

(Oh and put the DO out to graze and out of harms way)

The Isle of Bute is 100% yes when you strip out undecided and no’s

TheFlyingOx

To think that they get the referendum and then will not accept the result if it goes against them just sums them up. Behaving like a bunch of petulant teenagers.

God. I can see it now. The frothing, batshit mental thought processes that will be performed to allow the “we never get the Government we vote for, we want proper democracy for Scotland” tantrum align with not accepting a No vote in the referendum. I’m dreading coming to work on the 19th of September.

The minute the Indy campaign lost any chance of me voting Yes was when I was described as a “second class citizen” for daring to consider that independence might not be such a good idea with the current lot at the helm. I know “godwinning” is generally frowned upon, but history doesn’t have good tales to tell of Nationalists who go around grading the worth of people based on arbitrary lines of distinction.

epicyclo

The Flying Ox – Member
    ….but history doesn’t have good tales to tell of Nationalists who go around grading the worth of people based on arbitrary lines of distinction.

You’re so right. A few examples of that last sentence.

Those foolish French people who wanted the Germans out of France purely for nationalistic reasons. If only they had let them stay the world would have been a much better place.

Those nasty Vietnamese who wanted the French out of Vietnam.

Those Lithuanians who wanted rid of Russia, etc etc

It’s not what the greater power thinks that matters, but what the people resident in that country think.

Have a nice cup of tea and stop frothing… 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

Those foolish French people who wanted the Germans out of France purely for nationalistic reasons

It’s a **** Union not an invasion!

If you really think the UK is the same as the examples you gave, you are absolutely batshit mental! 🙄

athgray
    Free Member

Too true gobuchul. Most of epicyclo’s posts worry me.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

one of the most successful unions in history.

Successful for who? If Scotland hadn’t been in the union it would have had all the oil money to itself and spend a metric **** tonne less on illegal wars.

gobuchul
    Free Member

it would have had all the oil money to itself

This is what it’s all about. Greed basically.

So let’s not consider the last 300 years but just look at the last 30 – 40 years.

If Scotland hadn’t been in the Union, the Enlightenment MAY never of happened, the Clans MAY of stayed in power in the Highlands and the country MAY of remained basically tribal and backward.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yes, Westminster wants to keep all of Scotland’s oil money – the greedy swines.

We, Scotland, may also not have lost a hell of a lot of people in a hell of a lot of wars.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Yes, Westminster wants to keep all of Scotland’s the UK’s oil money – the greedy swines.

FTFY

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If Scotland hadn’t been in the union it would have had all the oil money to itself and spend a metric **** tonne less on illegal wars.

I think the reference was to the last 300 years.

Britain, of which Scotland is an integral and vital component, was the birthplace of the global industrial revolution. It was for hundreds of years quite rightly regarded as “the workshop of the world”.

Scotland played a very substantial role in those achievements but there is no evidence that on its own Scotland, or indeed the rest of the UK on its own, would have equaled those achievements.

In fact they almost certainly wouldn’t have as the different contributions made by the various regions of the UK is what made it so successful.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

We, Scotland, may also not have lost a hell of a lot of people in a hell of a lot of wars.

There hasn’t been any forced conscription in the UK for a very long time. No Scot has been forced to die against their will in any war for over 50 years.

You don’t need “independence” to stop Scots fighting against their will in wars. HTH

wanmankylung
    Free Member

There hasn’t been any forced conscription in the UK for a very long time. No Scot has been forced to die against their will in any war for over 50 years.

If we’re going back to the enlightenment and industrial revolution we’re going back to times when there was forced conscription. Please try and keep to the context.

gobuchul
    Free Member

times when there was forced conscription

That will be 1916 – 1918 and 1939 – 1960.

So you are saying that Scotland should sat out of WW2 had it been independent? Although, as it may well of been a poverty stricken rural economy, it may not of been of any significance.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

So you are saying that Scotland should sat out of WW2 had it been independent?

No, I am saying that the decision to go to war, or not, would have been taken by the people of Scotland, not people in London. That is what the whole independence movement is all about. Major decisions which effect Scotland should be taken by the people who live here.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I am saying that the decision to go to war, or not, would have been taken by the people of Scotland, not people in London.

So, the decision to go to war would of been made by people in Edinburgh, not Glasgow/Orkney/Skye etc, even though the decision will affect the rest of the country?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If we’re going back to the enlightenment and industrial revolution we’re going back to times when there was forced conscription.

I’m sorry I didn’t realise that you voting Yes because Scots have been forced to fight against their will for over 300 years 😆

BTW it does amusing me to see saltire waving mel gibson wannabes emphasising the pacifist credentials of Scots, and how they have been forced to fight against their will by the more savage warlike inhabitants of these islands

😀

wanmankylung
    Free Member

So, the decision to go to war would of been made by people in Edinburgh, not Glasgow/Orkney/Skye etc, even though the decision will affect the rest of the country?

Your argument is stupid. Edinburgh is in Scotland, London isn’t.

epicyclo

gobuchul – Member
    “Those foolish French people who wanted the Germans out of France purely for nationalistic reasons”
    It’s a **** Union not an invasion!

If you really think the UK is the same as the examples you gave, you are absolutely batshit mental!

I did try to make it clear I was addressing your last sentence and your use of nationalism as a negative concept, so I simply gave a few examples where nationalism was a force for good for the people of those respective countries.

Try having that cup of tea, and don’t worry, I don’t regard the Union as an invasion, it’s more like a toxic marriage.

The divorce hearing starts in 39 days. 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

Edinburgh is in Scotland, London isn’t.

I would suggest that the people of Edinburgh have more in common with Londoners than they do with the people of Skye or Orkney.

I did try to make it clear I was addressing your last sentence and your use of nationalism as a negative concept,

Not sure what you are on about?
    When did I say that?

bencooper
    Free Member

lol

Glad I’ve amused you. How else would you do it to reflect voting intentions? Glasgow is going to vote Yes, according to this survey of 1000 people.

Yes, I admit it, I’m greedy. I want schools and hospitals instead of nuclear weapons. It’s selfish of me to want to educate and help people when we could incinerate them in a nuclear fireball instead.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I want schools and hospitals instead of nuclear weapons

I thought we had all three?

Disarmament is always such a good idea in the real World.

Peace in Our Time

bencooper
    Free Member

I thought we had all three?

More schools and hospitals would be better, surely?

Disarmament is always such a good idea in the real World.

Peace in Our Time

Who are we appeasing? Who could we conceivably use nuclear weapons against without being obliterated? Russia? Terrorists?

Someone’s been reading way too much Tom Clancy.

epicyclo

ernie_lynch – Member
    …BTW it does amusing me to see saltire waving mel gibson wannabes emphasising the pacifist credentials of Scots, and how they have been forced to fight against their will by the more savage warlike inhabitants of these islands

Apart from the gratuitous insult re Mel Gibson*, that’s a reasonable statement.

One of the contradictions of the independence campaign is we see people (me included) pointing out the benefits of not having to spend money killing overseas foreigners. Meanwhile others are lamenting the reductions of the great Scottish regiments as a reason for independence.

*It’s not Gibson we admire, it’s what William Wallace achieved.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Who could we conceivably use nuclear weapons against without being obliterated? Russia? Terrorists?

Complete failure to understand how a Strategic Nuclear Deterrent works.

Someone’s been reading way too much Tom Clancy.

I can honestly say I have never got past the first chapter on any of his books. 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

Complete failure to understand how a Strategic Nuclear Deterrent works.

Okay, explain it to me. The principle is that no-one dares attack us because we’d respond. But with the Trident fleet and missiles we’d have, we are not capable of delivering an all-out response against Russia (the only possible enemy here) – all we can do is really, really piss them off.

Which wouldn’t be clever.

The UK’s nuclear deterrent only really made sense in the Cold War where there was one enemy, and only made sense when it was part of the US nuclear deterrent. It makes no sense now.

A good analysis here.

TheFlyingOx

I did try to make it clear I was addressing your last sentence and your use of nationalism as a negative concept, so I simply gave a few examples where nationalism was a force for good for the people of those respective countries.

Do try to keep up mate. It’s me, not gobuchul, you’re talking to.
    Anyway, I don’t recall saying that all Nationalists were bad (although ideologically it’s not the most well though of movement), just that in the past, Nationalists who’ve gone round persecuting those whose values don’t align with their own have generally gone on to be labelled as “baddies”. Nothing you’ve typed alters this, and I’d argue that it’s debatable whether the examples you gave are ones of Nationalism in the first place.

So back to the point at hand: is it OK for me to be a second class citizen based upon how I vote? Can we speculate on what wonders await me and my family in this new, fairer, two-tier Scotland? Will we be allowed to continue living where we do, or would the elite prefer we were all in one place where you can keep an eye on us? It might help your cause if you were to provide the No voters with some kind of identifying mark.

disclaimer: I don’t make these comments with a 100% serious head on, but the Facebook posts of the Indy guy at work and his Yes campaign friends prevent me from saying it’s 100% in jest. There is some real anger, bordering on hatred, towards those who don’t want independence.

gobuchul
    Free Member

But with the Trident fleet and missiles we’d have, we are not capable of delivering an all-out response against Russia

What?

Now a complete failure to understand the capability of a Vanguard Class Submarine.

Each sub carries 40 x 475kt warheads. Even a single sub could make a huge mess. If 3 of the 4 subs were available then I think that would be more than an “all-out” response. To put things into context Hiroshima was 16kt.

jota180
    Free Member

If you strip out those that have decided to vote yes or no, the whole of Scotland is undecided.

bencooper
    Free Member

Now a complete failure to understand the capability of a Vanguard Class Submarine.

I know the capability – as you said, 40 warheads. Russia has over 1000 land-based warheads, about 100 on subs, and another 200 or so on long-range bombers. 40 vs. 1300 isn’t an all-out response, it’s tickling a giant and getting swatted.

Read that analysis I linked to.

bencooper
    Free Member

If you strip out those that have decided to vote yes or no, the whole of Scotland is undecided.

Well, yes, but that would be silly. Do I really need to explain how polling works?

You look at the number of people who say they’ll vote Yes. You look at the number who say they’ll vote No. If the Yes number is larger, then Yes is in the lead. A way of showing how far in the lead is found by stripping out the undecideds to show what kind of swing would be needed to change the result.

Viewing 40 posts - 7,241 through 7,280 (of 12,715 total)

The topic ‘Osbourne says no to currency union.’ is closed to new replies.