Home Forums Bike Forum OS Maps for Nokia symbian

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • OS Maps for Nokia symbian
  • Xan
    Free Member

Does anyone know where I can down load free OS maps to work with my Nokia maps on my 5800. Saw a post earlier that you can get this for the ipod.

I know viewranger do it, but they want over £150 for it, not sure if its worth that for all I would use it.

cp

‘hijack’… how do you like the 5800?

the app for the iphone was created to use the open licencing the OS issue for developing apps – and as such there’s a limit to the amount of tiles (think area) of maps that can be issued in any period (something like 24hrs). ask your local uni/college computing department if a student wants a project :)

joemarshall
    Free Member

The iPod thing only works by downloading it over the net in realtime, so only works where you’ve got a 3g connection. I don’t think anyone has done a Nokia thing like this.

With Viewranger you actually buy the maps, so you have them on your memory card. So if you’ve got no signal, you can still use it (like in large parts of the Peak District). Which is why it costs money.

Depending on where you ride, Viewranger national parks is cheap, and has most of the Peak District, lots of good Scottish riding etc.

Viewranger really is great by the way.

Joe

wwaswas

the standard Nokia maps work by downloading in realtime (although you can do it offline via a wi-fi point to save data charges and hold the whole uk on the phone), but they aren’t topo maps.

cp

the great thing about nokia maps is that you can also download them to the pc, and use the map loader software to transfer them to the phone. so you could potentially download the whole uk road maps to your phone without using 3g/network data.

as mentioned though, and as i think the OP knows, this does not include OS maps. Now then, another app for uni student – make memory map files compatible with nokia maps :) i’d like that!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Viewranger will let you download maps now too, if you want one for where you happen to be. I spent £20 over 2 years ago which covered most of my local area, and another £15 6 months ago for download credits which I’ve only used 20% of, so it’s pretty good value.

AverageMark
    Free Member

a quick question on the viewranger thingy. I got a Nokia 6210 and it seems to have a gps gadget on it. now for 45 quid i can get the whole of south England. does it work well? i’m notorius for getting lost, so if you can load routes into it that would be good. On looking at it i need another program to create routes, any ideas?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Yes you can make routes on it. Easier on a PC due to the bigger screen but perfectly doable.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I do a lot of my route planning in Viewranger. It’s pretty handy – you can plan routes in the pub the night before, on the train on the way to a ride etc.

It can load gpx routes that you download off the web (or you can create your own routes on OS maps using http://www.bikehike.co.uk )

Joe

AverageMark
    Free Member

ooOOoo and joe, thanks for the heads up. I can see i’m not getting any work done today.

AverageMark
    Free Member

One last thing, is 1:50000 ok? or do i really need to go for 1:25000?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

1:50000 has all the bridleways, footpaths etc. you will need and is much cheaper. 1:25000 can make it easier to see features when they are very close together – I’ve basically bought the download tokens for this scale, so if I’m really interested in a particular area I download it.

mutley

hijack response

cp, 5800 rocks, had mine for ten days and loving it. screen very good, with 16gb sdhc card in takes all my music, sound quality good, battery life is ace given what it does….and you can still make phone calls. genius

good review here AllAboutSymbian 5800 review

Xan
    Free Member

Yeah I agree, phone is great. Really easy to use. Thanks for all the feedback of OS maps. I’ll have a look at the Viewranger national parks app, I mostly ride scottish FC stuff so this should cover it.

mudsux
    Free Member

another for viewranger.
    i bought the national parks which is great value.
    you can buy separate “tiles” (areas) from viewranger. Something like £20 buys a fair number of little areas – you select these through the pc app.

i use a seperate GPS via bluetooth on a nokia 5500 phone and find battery life to be OK for a few hours. you might look into spare batteries if you do longer rides.

support from Augmentra the viewranger people is excellent.

pendlechris
    Free Member

Looking at getting this GB Regions: Northern England Download, is it possible to get this cheaper than on website. Or even download free would be better

iDave
    Free Member

ok, slight thread resurrection.

i'm installing it in my 5800

going to snowdonia soon with my kid

aiming to take him up snowdon, which i did twice a week (worked in outdoor centre) 25 years ago. (Yes I know there are better mountains/walks but he wants to go up the biggest – we can do Tryfan next time)

would you all be happy just relying on the phone, or would you bring map and compass also?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Map and compass, and show your kid the ropes!
    Also IMHO electronic nav stuff is fine but given the size of the screen a map is better for getting a good view of the area and finding out what that peak over there is.

HTTP404
    Free Member

Well I had an email newsletter from Viewranger (yesterday) to say they now support Openstreetmaps – which is free.

http://www.vranger.blogspot.com/

duckers
    Free Member

OS mapping data is free from 1 April so resellers no longer need to pay OS licence fees (as far as I know), so I would wait until after that to see if prices of Viewranger (and others) drop at all.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘OS Maps for Nokia symbian’ is closed to new replies.