Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • OS Map phone apps
  • muddyjames
    Free Member

what 1:25k ordnance survey mapping software for the phone is there that’s not very expensive?

I think there was a recent thread on this but can’t seem to find it again, and don’t remember the apps mentioned. so sorry for the double post.

franksinatra

I use viewranger. It is very good.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I use OS maps, 12 months auto renewal is £19.99.

I use the web app to plot courses so can’t vouch for how well route creation works on a phone but for following a route it works well enough that i don’t take my garmin out with me anymore.

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/os-maps-online.html

sdadswell001

second the Viewranger

ta11pau1

BackCountry Navigator

P20

Just started with OS maps, looks good so far

Poopscoop

Viewranger is genuinely fantastic! 👍

stu1972
    Free Member

AlpineQuest

charliew

Guess this is the topic you couldn’t find:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/which-os-mapping-software/

I got an email from ViewRanger the other day which implies they do a subscription service now.  So I plan to try them when this year is up 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

MM Tracker very basic but free if you already have the maps

mark90
    Free Member

As per the other thread Locus maps app with Bing as a source for OS maps (both 1:50k and 1:25k)

firestarter
    Free Member

Podge is there an apk for the mm tracker as mines packed in and I can’t find a download ta

user-removed
    Free Member

+1 Back Country Navigator.  Think I paid about a tenner for the ‘pro’ version, perhaps six years ago and it’s immediately installed on every new phone.  Does route planning and all that gubbins but I tend to just use it as an offline / online map and GPS.

mark90
    Free Member

Firestarter download version 1.10.6 from here…

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=816407&page=54

Works fine for me.

thepodge
    Free Member

@firestarter. Not sure what is going on at the moment, lots of chatter in the xda forums but I’ve not kept up with it. I run it on an old phone so haven’t had any issues after finding a combination that works. I think I have an old apk saved somewhere but couldn’t guarantee it’d work for you.

firestarter
    Free Member

Mark and podge that’s what I have but for some reason it won’t let me point it to the map directory any more I don’t know why I’ve uninstalled and really installed but nothing 🙁

jimdubleyou

I use the app from http://outdoorsgps.com/ – I suspect it’s very similar to the OS offering, but since I started with them before I knew about that app and it’s the same price I’ve never changed.

FWIW, the route building is quite good, and the GPX it produces imports into Garmin courses without issues.

thepodge
    Free Member

Sorry, no idea. Like I say I’ve found a combination that works. It wasn’t the most user friendly setup if I remember correctly and I had trouble with loading tracks or routes, I forget which but I’m all sorted now.

firestarter
    Free Member

Mines always worked previously so it could be something with my android update I can’t remember when it stopped working I’ll have a play cheers fellas

mark90
    Free Member

Android 6.0.1 and older versions working ok for me, not got anything newer. There is some discussion on the xda thread about map directories that might help. Alternative is to use Alpine Quest app that can read the .qct files.

muddyjames
    Free Member

Thanks all. I was thinking locus looks good but have a blooming iPhone.

Is Backcountry navigatior available for iOS? A google search didn’t yield any obvious hits.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is the official OS one as good an interface as Viewranger?…

Anyone?.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Is Backcountry navigatior available for iOS? A google search didn’t yield any obvious hits.

check the Apple app store, but answer is No, I believe.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘OS Map phone apps’ is closed to new replies.